Gatecrash

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wondering, but, what are some hopes/expectations/sneak peeks about the new release? From what I've been told, it should have the three missing guilds: Boros, Gruul, and Dimir.
And simic and orzhov. Each will have new guild keywords and the leaders won't be reprints from city of guilds. Each have their respective shock, gate, and keyrune. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Ah, I had forgotten about those two. It may be too early to say, but, and good combos that you might think will, or hope will, be there? Me personally am waiting on Gruul and Boros to see what they could do for goblins. R/G goblin isn't a bad choice already, but, it could be helped. Same for R/W.
And simic and orzhov. Each will have new guild keywords and the leaders won't be reprints from city of guilds. Each have their respective shock, gate, and keyrune. 

The council for Orzhov is back and the Gruul leader is the same.
Edit: You meant the exact cards themselves, not the characters. Sorry.  
I just want to finally be able to play U/B or Grixis control. Burn-oriented Planeswalker for Red would be cool, but I guess we already have Chandra, the Firebrand there. I just feel like PW should be able to protect themselves, or ulti ftw. I guess when she can be protected by Tamiyo and Jace she has alot of potential. I'd like to play Dual Casting with that but I feel like it would be gimmicky as hell.
And the uncounterable cycle, which was the one I was expecting the most (besides shocklands of course), is officially discontinued.

I would rather have the guildmage and the guild leader cycles ditched first, but oh well.

I hope the Simic guild isn't overpowered (you know, bring undercosted almost vanilla dudes without regarding the color pie just 'cause "it's what Spike likes"), and that the mechanic isn't more gimmick than good. Some of the last pet mechanics from MaRo and crew like Infect and Miracles has been quite bad.

It will be interesting to see how they differentiate Gruul and Boros, since last time they played out the same quickdrops + burn plan. Also Orzhov and Boros will be interesting to see since Boros tend to be reduced to "deal damage and gain life" while Orzhov is lifelink or "lose life and gain life".
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
Damn, double post.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I want to play B/R/W so bad. Really hoping a deck in those colors will be viable with the addition of Orzhov and Boros

First up, has WotC said anything about finally putting out another book to go along with the block's storyline? Honestly wish they would go back to the book per set plan, but I know that'll never happen.

I'm with BF - no Lightning Helix = major dissapointment. Though the Aj V. Bolas art is schweet

Oh, and I want a UG planeswalker. Heck, just more gold PW's in general.

I want to play B/R/W so bad. Really hoping a deck in those colors will be viable with the addition of Orzhov and Boros

Can try tokens out, Pack Rat is a nice black card.

(at)MrEnglish22

I want lands- Shocklands, Manlands, Utility lands, another art for Ghost Quarter, Tectonic Edge etc. I'm sure to be disappointed past Shocklands. More than anything I want good Simic cards that aren't creatures (be the Polymorph-variants, silly counters, enchantments that produce resources.) I'd just like something that plays well in passive decks from Simic (though the inevitable weenie swarm of Merfolk with snowballs and oddballs is sure to crush my dreams.) Still, I can hope- Simic, the Manland guild ftw?

Also, moar charms :D
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
i want them to print this card, no questions asked

I anticipate they will; though there were no nonland reprints from Ravnica in RTR.

Also.... I still want this to be reprinted

I anticipate they will; though there were no nonland reprints from Ravnica in RTR.

I'd probably slit my wrists if they reprinted faith's fetters in the same standard block as detention sphere, sphinx's revelation, angel of serenity, thragtusk, and every other durdly card that's already durdling the hell out of the format.

Lightning Helix seems like a possibility but somehow seems too efficient considering searing spear isn't incinerate.

I'd probably slit my wrists if they reprinted faith's fetters in the same standard block as detention sphere, sphinx's revelation, angel of serenity, thragtusk, and every other durdly card that's already durdling the hell out of the format.

Lightning Helix seems like a possibility but somehow seems too efficient considering searing spear isn't incinerate.

the gave us this last time around

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

That was before core sets stopped sucking. The best creature in standard is from a core set, after all.
All I want is enough Merfolk to make the new Lord worthwhile.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Searing Spear isn't Incinerate because WotC wants to be able to push Regenerate as the powerful ability it actually is.

(at)MrEnglish22

mostly, i just want to see the format stop sucking so much

Photobucket

mostly, i just want to see the format stop sucking so much

+1...ah, hell, +2
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.

Cremate
Faith's fetter's would be a decent card to play against Thragtusk. I wouldn't be opposed.

Althought Tusk is good, I'm not sure I'd say it's the best creature in standard right now, just the most diverse.
Pretty sure the decks playing Fath's Fetters would also play Thragtusk, and games would go even longer. I honestly don't see a reason to reprint it, other than the fact that it is a pretty awesome card.

(at)MrEnglish22

I hope the new Dimir mechanic as awesome as the last one; I probably played every single transmute card at some point or another. That and hope the leaders and champions and **** aren't gimmicky mill cards. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
That and hope the leaders and champions and **** aren't gimmicky mill cards. 

don't worry... they will be

i'd like to see shadowmage infiltrator, but i guess its not like there aren't a number of other ophidians already

Photobucket

i'd like to see shadowmage infiltrator, but i guess its not like there aren't a number of other ophidians already

Kind of like Hypnotic Specter; I doubt it'd even see any play really. When Jon made the card, he couldn't have seen 3 cmc blue creatures swinging for 6 on turn four.
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet

Kind of like Hypnotic Specter; I doubt it'd even see any play really. When Jon made the card, he couldn't have seen 3 cmc blue creatures swinging for 6 on turn four.

no one would!!

i guess really it was dimir cutpurse that was on my mind.  whether in simic or dimir, i want some sort of good ophidian effect... i want simic to be just amazing, simic was basically my first love 

Photobucket

milling is so fun! 

no one would!!

i guess really it was dimir cutpurse that was on my mind.  whether in simic or dimir, i want some sort of good ophidian effect... i want simic to be just amazing, simic was basically my first love 

I am vainly hoping that Simic gives rise to a fish.dec. I love fish.decs. We already have the lord and a couple of okay counterspells.
I hope the new Dimir mechanic as awesome as the last one; I probably played every single transmute card at some point or another. That and hope the leaders and champions and **** aren't gimmicky mill cards. 

I doubt Transmute would be good even in a format as slow as this one. Even the current Durdle cards do so in the board, nonboard durdle is still too suicidal.

There is a good chance Dimir doesn't get mill again, since UB seems the ideal control guild for the Gatecrash limited format. Just hope that Dimir doesn't get the combat mechanic booby prize, just as Rakdos did.
Just hope that Dimir doesn't get the combat mechanic booby prize, just as Rakdos did.

I'd say slim chance of that. If I recall the article, the problem was all spell mechanics in Return and all creature mechanics in Gatecrash. But I could be misremembering.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I doubt Transmute would be good even in a format as slow as this one.

Transmute is a combo/control mechanic. Shred Memory finds Grapeshots, Dimir House Guard finds Empty the Warrens and Tendrils of Agony, Drift of Phantasms finds Early Harvest, Tolaria West finds Acedemy Ruins, Tolarian Acedemy, Dark Depths (the ability to find it gave redundancy to Gifts Ungiven piles where you'd fetch Tolraria West, Acedemy Ruins and two other busted cards). In both combo and control decks, Muddle the Mixture was sick, as most combo pieces are around 2 CMC, and the dispel-like counterspell is always relevant.

Transmute is one of the best mechanics WotC came up with - it was sorcery speed so it's never really broken, but it rewards careful deckbuilding and gives you a bunch of sweet tools to work with. 

Faith's fetters loses to resto angel just like pacifism.

I didn't know that Jund played Resto.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

Now you do, John. Now you do.

And knowing is half the battle

(at)MrEnglish22

And knowing is half the battle

LMAO. Any chance Megrim will be reprinted?
I doubt it.  We'd probably just get Liliana's Caress back in M14.
If memory serves correct, Megrim can hit PWs, whereas caress cannot.
I imagine they will avoid creating that confusion in a core set. 

(at)MrEnglish22