Non-combat Power

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why are there so farking few of them?

I'll admit, I'm an OP'er. I like to do 25+ damage at level one and ruin my DMs encounters, but as we have run 4E to the edges, I'm really disappointed to see how little I can accomplish outside of combat.

Sure, there are skill checks and such, but it's such a thing function. More skill/utility powers and few combat powers and I think this system would've appealed to a much broader audience.
"Lots of out-of-combat powers" = "Skill system obsolete."
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Ehhhhh, there are a LOT of things you can do out of combat, and a lot of resources for getting more. A lot of combat powers can be used out of combat for one thing, at least now and then. You have rituals, martial practices, many feats such as Skill Power. There's nothing to sneeze about with skills either. What's wrong with them? You can also flavor a lot of skill use as crazy magical or whatever kind of stuff. This can be assisted by various feats too (like Arcane Mutterings for instance). There are also various class features, PP and ED things, and Theme stuff that can help.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Ehhhhh, there are a LOT of things you can do out of combat, and a lot of resources for getting more. A lot of combat powers can be used out of combat for one thing, at least now and then. You have rituals, martial practices, many feats such as Skill Power. There's nothing to sneeze about with skills either. What's wrong with them? You can also flavor a lot of skill use as crazy magical or whatever kind of stuff. This can be assisted by various feats too (like Arcane Mutterings for instance). There are also various class features, PP and ED things, and Theme stuff that can help.

Well said.  It's a times like this that I wish this forum had a reputation function of some kind.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

i love being able to take skill power as a feat; i have a witch and a druid that have just an insane amount of out of combat stuff with rituals, summons, and skill powers all over the place. a shaman as well. actually i have a lazy shaman/wizard hybrid that also has a lot of weird out of combat stuff going on.
Sure, there are skill checks and such, but it's such a thing function.

...What?

More skill/utility powers and few combat powers and I think this system would've appealed to a much broader audience.

Doubtful. It would have been nice if combat and non-combat abilities didn't have to compete for your build resources, though. Shouldn't bombard people with too many special moves, but I think a small list of non-combat utilities on a seperate sheet from combat abilities would be easy enough to manage.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Sign In to post comments