[Deck]CAG Denial (Card-Advantage Grixis Denial)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I went ahead and built my first legacy deck ever, going 3-1 in a Legacy FNM.  Here's the decklist.

The Creatures : 12
4x Dark Confidant
4x Dimir Cutpurse
4x Augury Adept

The Artifacts : 4
4x Sensei's Divining Top

The Enchantments : 3
3x Counterbalance

The Spells : 21
3x Inquisition of Kozilek (Or Thoughtseize)
3x Daze
4x Blightning
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Force of Will (In this case, I don't have them, and is currently running Mana Leak instead)

The lands : 20
3x Bloodstained Mire
3x Scalding Tarn
3x Misty Rainforest
2x Volcanic Island (Or Steam Vents)
2x Underground Sea (Or Watery Grave)
2x Badlands (Or Blood Crypt)
1x Bayou (Or Overgrown Tomb)
1x Forest
1x Island
1x Mountain
1x Swamp

The Sideboad : 15
2x Mindbreak Trap (Combo/Storm)
3x Abrupt Decay (Goblins/Zoo/Merfolk/Countertop)
3x Krosan Grip (Countertop/Leylines of Sancitiy/Affinity)
2x Maelstrom Pulse (Goblins/Zoo/Merfolk/Empty the Warrens)
4x Leyline of the Void (Dredge)
1x Bribery (Show and Tell/Sneak Attack)

The deck should describe itself quite easely :
You draw cards, you make them discard cards and then you poke them to death with all the answers in you hands.  Only deck I lost to during it's debut was Mono Red Burn, where my shocklands and Bob helped him too much.

Tell me what you think and what should change!
-4 Dimir Cutpurse
-4 Augury Adept
-4 Blightning

+1 Inquisition of Kozilek
+1 Daze
+1 Force of Will
+4 Deathrite Shaman
+2 Liliana of the Veil
+3 Jace the Cash Scalper

Cutpurse and Augury adept are a bit too slow to be used reliably, and Blightning isn't as good as it was when Cascade dominated Standard. +1 to all your 3-of spells for more consistency and resiliency vs. combo, +4 Shaman for grave-hate and the potential for turn 2-3 Walker's, and then Jace and Lili to keep in line with your preexisting strategy of draw-discard-poke.
-4 Dimir Cutpurse
-4 Augury Adept
-4 Blightning

+1 Inquisition of Kozilek
+1 Daze
+1 Force of Will
+4 Deathrite Shaman
+2 Liliana of the Veil
+3 Jace the Cash Scalper

Cutpurse and Augury adept are a bit too slow to be used reliably, and Blightning isn't as good as it was when Cascade dominated Standard. +1 to all your 3-of spells for more consistency and resiliency vs. combo, +4 Shaman for grave-hate and the potential for turn 2-3 Walker's, and then Jace and Lili to keep in line with your preexisting strategy of draw-discard-poke.

This is fair - Together with Deathrite & Leyline you should be able to hose almost any graveyard based deck.
I'd consider a few Burning Wish in there to fetch things from your side.  I'd want the ability to fetch a sweeper/pulse against token decks etc etc.

So going with the suggestions, here would be the final cut :

The Creatures : 8
4x Dark Confidant
4x Deathrite Shaman

The Artifacts : 4
4x Sensei's Divining Top

The Enchantments : 3
3x Counterbalance

The Spells : 2
4x Inquisition of Kozilek (Or Thoughtseize)
4x Daze
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Force of Will

The Planeswalkers : 5
3x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2x Liliana of the Veil

The lands : 20
1x Bloodstained Mire
4x Scalding Tarn
4x Misty Rainforest
2x Volcanic Island (Or Steam Vents)
2x Underground Sea (Or Watery Grave)
1x Badlands (Or Blood Crypt)
2x Bayou (Or Overgrown Tomb)
1x Forest
1x Island
1x Mountain
1x Swamp

I sadly can't see what to remove to get burning wish in there.
Will try it next time I can play with my buddies, and I'll get back to you for the results. 
Hang on. First, is Lightning Bolt necessary? And by extension, is red necessary? The reach is nice for opposing planeswalkers, but BUG also has an incredible number of tools that fill a similar role. For example, there is the new Abrupt Decay, which is clearly viable for Legacy. Maelstrom Pulse is also a incredibly diverse card that fits in a Counterbalance shell very nicely. You can also pack Pernicious Deed, which is what I would play actually.

Second, your manabase is kind of an eye sore. Part of that is because you're stretching to four colors. You want both :U::U: and :B::B: on turn two, so you really need to build towards that possibility. Sadly, that is going to mean fewer basics and fewer non-blue duals, which is going to mean more cash.

Third, you're list is kind of a mixture of a bunch of different decks. They are all good cards, but they aren't directed towards your deck's design. Since your gameplan is very slow, we can add more powerful, lategame cards without compromising your early turns. For example, IoK/Thoughtseize, Hymn, and Daze are going to be completely dead in the late game. That's where you're supposed to thrive. The early turns are your weakness, and if you survive past those, you win.

Take a look at this list. It's BUG Standstill and has a much more viable late game than yours. Take from it what you will, but I would switch some things up in your deck. Like, how do you ever win with your list? You can't clear the board, and you can't counter all their early creatures. 

4 Polluted Delta
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Underground Sea
3 Tropical Island
Island
1 Swamp
1 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Mishra's Factory
3 Wasteland

4 Brainstorm
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Counterbalance
4 Standstill
4 Pernicious Deed
3 Innocent Blood
4 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Life from the Loam
Standstill is good in aggressive decks where you can create an early presence, then force them to react to your pressure.  Here, it doesn't help that much because, as the control deck, it's rare that you'll be ahead on board.  I get what you're trying to do with manlands, but against any deck that generates early board presence, it will often hurt you as often as, if not more often than them. 
I hate dogs.
You're right, Standstill is good in the scenario you provided. It is also good when the board is clear, and your deck is the one with inevitability. That's where Pernicious Deed comes in. You run four Counterbalance, so you have spares in case you need to blow up the board. And then it's pretty normal stuff. Innocent Blood should probably be a four-of, because it is incredible with the broken symmetry. 

This is the updated list of a top 8 deck from Grand Prix Columbus 2010. It's definitely been built to work.