Equalizers

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lets say your relatively new to that game and/or don't have a lot of money. I wanted to make a thread with a list of relatively low cost cards that are particularly effective against expensive cards.

Some examples would be
Ruination
Hall of Gemstone
Portcullis
Meekstone
Decree of Annihilation
RPGtable username : RTiger
Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon were two that were on the tip of my tongue when I posted in the other thread.
In the same vein as Ruination, I find Back to Basics to be pretty useful. Also, if you know your opponents run heavy ramp, Price of Progress can be quite the blowout.

Recently, R2R gave us Cyclonic Rift and Vandalblast.

If your opponents are heavy on permission (or even combat tricks), Mana Web or Price of Glory are good options. I used to be in a pretty Blue-heavy meta, and things like Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast or Burnout always took people by surprise. Stranglehold is also stellar against combo.

... just looking over these suggestions, it seems like an Izzet deck would make for some pretty solid Haterade.

EDIT: Crackdown

<----- Loser.

Ruination and friends don't do much against monocolored. Be wary!

3DH4LIF3

Gather Specimens for creature theft, including commanders. Or mass theft when coupled with Sudden Disappearance.

For mono black decks (and the rare mono red deck): Circle of Protection: Black &/or Rune of Protection: Red.

For instant speed graveyard hate Suffer the Past is a winner.

Rite of Replication can be just flat dirty, and it's like $1 or $2.

Sadistic Sacrament can neuter an opponent in one stroke.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Wipe Away This card is an all star. It does so much more than it seems at first glance.
Knowledge Exploitation is usually a 7 or 4 mana Time Stretch in my group.
Boseiju, Who Shelters All goes in every single deck of mine.
Pithing Needle Stops a lot of combos

Commandeer, Acquire
Hallowed Burial, Condemn, Snuff Out, Painful Quandary, Ashes to Ashes, Return to Dust, Krosan Grip, Cyclonic Rift, Genesis Wave

Thada Adel, Acquisitor, Praetor's Grasp, Sadistic Sacrament

Tormod's Crypt, Nihil Spellbomb, Relic of progenitus

Defense Grid, Choke, Price of Glory, Manabarbs, Citadel of Pain, Zo-Zu the Punisher

Counter spell cards usually aren't expensive and are good at exactly what you said:
Counterspell
Negate
Dream Fracture
Arcane Denial
Last Word
Stoic Rebuttal
Hinder
Spell Crumple
Dismiss
Exclude
Scattering Stroke
And that's all the ones I would consider running that aren't expensive.
Pricier ones:
Cryptic Command
Mana Drain
Draining Whelk
Pact of Negation
Force of Will

I can keep going and I left a bunch out because they were mentioned already. I re-mentioned some of the bigger ones.
Add Spelljack and Desertion for excellent shenanigan capabilities.
Carry Away:  I mean who isn't running any equipment these days?  And how often do fancy footwear, some spiffy armor or a sweet duster make an opposing creature nearly impossible to deal with?  And that's just the defensive stuff!

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners