Tokens

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
All discussion for Token decks of all kinds goes here.

Deck lists to come pending formatting fixes.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
A Populating token deck is what I'm working on.  So far:

Call of the Conclave: no surprise here.  It's a card which appears in plenty of decks, so it's the cornerstone for a token deck.
Growing Ranks: recurring Populate on the (relative) cheap.
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage: Populates without spending cards or tapping.
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice:  Lifegain and slightly cheaper Populate, but must tap.
Centaur's Herald:  while other 1-drops are better for most decks, getting tokens out by turn 3 provides Populating targets for the Guildmage on turn 4 or Ranks on turn 5, but there are only four Calls to be made. Harriet the Herald limits the risk, so there's a turn 2 or 3 token per 7.5 cards in the deck.
Grove of the Guardian: fat fat fatties.
Wayfaring Temple: this guy loves him some tokens.  He wants them.  All of them.
Phantom General: he rivals the Wayfarer in his affection, but he's a giver, not a taker.
Moonsilver Spear:  if you're going to Populate, why not do it in style?  1/1 birds can't hold the air; 4/4 angels do.  It's also fun to give a spear to the Grove's elemental: 8/8 Vigilant First Striker spawning an angel each turn; just might end a stalled board.  This and Grove are the deck's mid- to late-game options.  Everything else is ideally up to speed by turn 4.
Oblivion Ring:  gotta have some removal.
Rootborn Defenses and Druid's Deliverance: nice tricks with Populate.
Avacyn's Pilgrim and Selesnya Keyrune: ramp and more mana.  I ain't saying it's a golddigger, but I...  wait, that's exactly what I'm saying.  This deck will spend all you've got, every turn.
Temple Grove is great.  A full set would be ideal.
Selesnya Gate and Sunpetal Grove help early s, but weakens Arbor Elfs.
I would cut 2 of the Trostani's for 2 more Restoration Angels mainboard. 
I would also  the 2 parallel lives for Oblivion Rings or even 2 Copies of Vraska 
I'm not sure about the 4 RIP the Ray of Revelation has to go, I would replace those 2 cards with a mix of Sundering Growth an Rootborn Defences, (as both populate as well only powers up your deck) or even look at a couple of abrupt decays. Also if you have to play RIP graveyard hate for your meta game, then Play 4 copies of Deathrite Shaman, he is just better in every way then RIP in your deck, as he now become's utility for lifegain and an offensive card in your drawn out grinder/stalemate games. Plus he even gets to work as an early chump! 

Also Loxodon Smitter can be traded out for Centaur Healer, with uping the deck to 4 Resto's (2 main 2 side board) the Healer gives you the body and life needed to gain an maintain PW control for the rest of the game..

Other Notable Card(s) Rancor (I have seen that card in this deck and it is Brutal)
Possibly Sigarda to Hexproof solve any problems you might have with a control deck
Liliana of the Veil
Garruk Relentless (for sackin tokens into Armada Wurms Thragtusk 
Possibly Wolfir Silverheart too boost tokens into monsters 
after that I guess wait till the next set to see if Orhzov brings anymore arsenal to the table! LOL

This could become a Tier 1 deck if the metagame continues the way it is, so your fine with this deck if you make a couple tweaks an changes, it is very resilient and offers alot of threat possibilities! 
Rancor is awful in Tokens.

The trick with tokens in this format is not to be cute. Your strategy is all about attrition. It's almost a Superfriends deck; each Planeswalker you play gives you more and more attritional advantage, until you overwhelm the opponents resources or just blow them out.

I'll dig up my tokens list at home today.
Building and testing have helped me trim the potential cards in this token deck down to size.  Moonsilver Spear was too slow.  Grove of the Guardian has been underwhelming.  Selesnya Guildgate is a trap; terrible consequences against Rakdos and RDW while hurting Arbor Elf's ability.  Selesnya Keyrune is out for the same reason.   Wayfaring Temple, Intangible Virtue and Phantom General are better for decks with cards which spawn multiple tokens, so they're out.  Planeswalkers with token abilities have the same problem.

Current Deck:
4x Call of the Conclave:  the cornerstone.
4x Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage:  Populate engines.
2x Trostani, Selesnya's Voice: lifegain, Populate, and a great blocker.  Too bad it's legendary. 
4x Avacyn's Pilgrim: ramp and mana fixing.
4x Arbor Elf: more ramp, he can also use Temple Garden for .
4x Centaur's Herald: can block/sac, and splitting the from the helps.
2x Slime Molding: early stopgap or late behemoth.  I often use it too late, which is a common mistake with X costs.
4x Selesnya Charm: 2/2 V Knight or bomb removal.  Vigilant tokens are surprisingly useful.
4x Oblivion Ring: great targeted removal.
2x Collective Blessing:  Game-ending bomb.
2x Parallel Lives: flood of tokens.

4x Temple Garden
4x Sunpetal Grove 
14x Forest
2x Plains

Sideboard:
4x Sundering Growth: devastating against artifact- or enchantment-heavy opponents.
4x Rest in Peace or Grafdigger's Cage: graveyard hate, I think RIP is slightly better.
4x Rootborn Defenses: protection against Wrath effects.
3x Heroes' Reunion: early stopgap against Rakdos/RDW until Centaur tokens are out in force.

There are a few other cards I've considered for the deck, like Rancor, but ended up excluding.  Thragtusk may fit somewhere, but I'm not sure what should be cut for it.
why not run simic charm over giant growth and aetherize over gridlock? or even sleep over gridlock? also this list feels like it has way too many counters and spells to buff creatures, but not a whole lot of creatures...and virtually no token generation.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Junk Token Spam

Lands: 24
3x Forest
3x Plains
3x Gavony Township
2x Isolated Chapel
2x Overgrown Tomb
3x Sunpetal Grove
4x Temple Garden
2x Woodland Cemetery
2x Godless Shrine         

Creatures: 4
4x Wayfaring Temple

Spells: 19
4x Farseek
4x Call of the Conclave
4x Gather the Townsfolk
4x Lingering Souls
3x Selesnya Charm

Enchantments: 3
3x Oblivion Ring

Planeswalkers: 10
3x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
3x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter       
2x  

Sideboard:
   (still in developement)
3x Abrupt Decay
1x Oblivion Ring
2x Ground Seal
2x Rest in Peace
2x Sundering Growth
2x Merciless Eviction?
3x Ultimate Price

Not sure about Farseek. Might be better as Intangible Virtue or something along those lines.
Threw out Trostani, VG GM, Herald, and more!  Some changes are minor, like including a full playset of the mana dorks.  Other changes are much more fundamental, like eschewing Trostani and the guildmage.

The core of the deck is Wayfaring Temple; hordes of 1/1 tokens from Fungal Sprouting, Lingering Souls, or Increasing Devotion give him much of his strength.  When he hits an opponent, he can Trample blockers, and Populate one of the stronger tokens--the centaur, the knight, or preferably Grove of the Guardian's 8/8 Elemental.

Mentor of the Meek also provides an important role in the deck.  His ability to draw cards off mana dorks, bears, or most tokens makes it easy to gain the card advantage to launch Grove of the Guardian, get Gavony Township up and running, or cast expensive spells like Collective Blessing or Increasing Devotion and it's flashback.  (I'm considering adding dorks, for this, too.)  These little pieces continue to work until Collective Blessing gets out.

There's a splash of , just to flash back Lingering Souls, as the deck lacks a strong aerial presence.

1x Forest  (Considered Woodland Cemetery, which doesn't work with Arbor Elf and is always tapped on a t1 play)
2x Gavony Township
3x Godless Shrine/Isolated Chapel
2x Grove of the Guardian
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Temple Garden

4x Arbor Elf                      Ramp
4x Avacyn's Pilgrim           Ramp
4x Call of the Conclave    3/3 token
2x Fungal Sprouting         X 1/1 tokens 
2x Increasing Devotion    5 1/1 tokens, 10 1/1 tokens
4x Lingering Souls           2 1/1 flyers,  2 1/1 flyers
2x Mentor of the Meek     Draws cards off tokens/dorks
3x Wayfaring Temple       Populates

2x Collective Blessing      Boost weenies of army
3x Druid's Deliverance     Populates
3x Rancor                        Best on Wayfaring Temple
2x Rootborn Defenses    Populates
4x Selesnya Charm         2/2 vigilant / Removal /minor buff

Best experience so far:

Mana dorks on t1 and t2, Lingering Souls t3, Collective Blessing t4, Grove of the Guardian's 8/8 Vigilant t5, and Fungal Sprouting for 11 4/4s on t6.  The 11/11 elemental was now attacking with the 4/4 dorks and spirits.  Opponent needed a wrath effect, but it wasn't there.  No decks work perfectly every time, but it's awesome when it happens.
Here is the deck I am working with right now:
Lands (22):
3x forest
4x isolated chapel
4x overgrown tomb
4x temple garden
4x sunpetal grove
1x woodland cemetery
2x gavony township

Creatures (17):
4x avacyn's pilgrim
4x arbor elf
4x trostani, selesnya's voice
4x thragtusk
2x armada wurm

Other Spells (18):
4x intangible virtue
2x selesnya charm
4x lingering souls
2x parallel lives
3x sorin, lord of innistrad
3x garruk, primal hunter
2x entreat the angels

Sideboard:
1x ray of revelation
4x rest in peace
4x loxodon smiter
1x oblivion ring
2x sever the bloodline
2x restoration angel
1x armada wurm

It seems to be working really well so far, any advice would be appriciated

a 1 of seance would be perfect in this deck.
Sign In to post comments