G/W/x Midrange

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
All discussion for G/W/x Midrange decks shall go here.

Deck lists to come pending formatting fixes.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
To clarify, given that Bant Control looks more fit for the UWx control thread and Rites decks are listed in "Reanimator", these leaves here the following decks to me:

GW Aggro: decks containing Silverblade Paladin, Rancor and Sublime Archangel, usually skip Restoration Angel and Thragtusk. Hereafter, "aggro" should only apply to this decks.

Midrange: decks containing Restoration Angel and Thragtusk and going further in the curve up to Angel of Serenity. These further divided in:

1. Straight GW.

2. Junk, usually relying on tokens.

3. Naya, which is somewhat new but probably legit (see Adam Witton's deck).

If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
After clarifying what belongs here, I have my question: how is best to handle GW aggro from the midrange side? No amount of Thragtusk and Angels will be able to neuter a creature that keeps swinging for 6 - 8 with doublestrike and trample. Since Supreme Verdict isn't available to us, what to bring in? Both Terminus and Celestial Cleansing come too late and Oblivion Ring is too slow for my taste. Is it too janky to try Divine Reckoning? I have found that with enough time to stabilize Ulvenwald Tracker dominates the board and even neutralizes Rancor, but their fastest draws (turn 2 Silverblade, turn 3 Sublime) can't be stopped with him.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
@Javert, you my friend need 4 copies of Selesyna Charm, The Same Card that can Power the "GW" Aggro deck is the same Card that works well to undo it! Oh... You want to attack with a 8/8 double strike trample, You can put that over there out of the game now. Thanks! lol definately my answer to that. 
Here's my attempt at mid-range:

1 x Garruk, Primal Hunter

2 x Arbor Elf
4 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
2 x Centaur Healer
4 x Loxodon Smiter
4 x Restoration Angel
1 x Sigarda, Host of Herons
4 x Thragtusk

4 x Cloudshift
4 x Selesnya Charm

3 x Oblivion Ring
4 x Rancor

1 x Cavern of Souls
2 x Gavony Township
4 x Sunpetal Grove
3 x Temple Garden
8 x Forest
5 x Plains

Sideboard
4 x Knight of Glory
3 x Pithing Needle
3 x Ray of Revelation
3 x Rest in Peace

I'm experimenting a bit; that's why there's one Garruk and one Sigarda. I'll go one way or another once I get enough mileage out this thing to decide which works better. I may also chuck both for Wolfir Silverheart!

A big question for me is Silverblade Paladin. I do love my Elephant guy, but I also love double-strike.

Any thoughts on these two points or any other are welcome.
Here's my attempt at mid-range:

2 x Arbor Elf
4 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
2 x Centaur Healer
4 x Loxodon Smiter
4 x Restoration Angel
4 x Thragtusk

4 x Cloudshift
4 x Selesnya Charm

3 x Oblivion Ring
4 x Rancor

1 x Cavern of Souls
2 x Gavony Township
4 x Sunpetal Grove
3 x Temple Garden
8 x Forest
5 x Plains

Sideboard
4 x Knight of Glory
3 x Pithing Needle
3 x Ray of Revelation
3 x Rest in Peace

The deck looks pretty solid. Although the sideboard should only have 2 Ray of Revelation and definatly not more than 2 Rest in Peace although ive been thinking Ground Seal seems like a better choice or potentially Grafdigger's cage

The deck looks pretty solid. Although the sideboard should only have 2 Ray of Revelation and definatly not more than 2 Rest in Peace although ive been thinking Ground Seal seems like a better choice or potentially Grafdigger's cage

Thanks. It's gone 3-1 the two times I've played it at FNM. I'm really hoping to find a little more somewhere to get over the top once.

You won't talk me down on Ray; people around here play Obilvion Ring and Detention Sphere like mad. Ray won a game for me last time out.

Rest in Peace is probably getting the old heave-ho anyway; it's mainly anti-Zombie tech and this deck isn't scared of Zombies anyway. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben is probably going to replace RiP.

I'll probably also try Silverblade in placed of Healer and one each of two of the spells. Healer is super against some matchups, and I may put him in the board in place of the Knight, but Silverblade is such a beat-stick. I guess it comes down to the mana; I think it'll support Silverblade.

I recently built Bant Midrange and I'm curious on how everyone thinks of the deck.

Just won a match against Bant Control 2-1, only losing because of getting mana screwed.
Otherwise, I had him the other times. Haven't tested it past that point though.

Creatures: 16
3 Geist of Saint Traft
3 Silverblade Paladin
3 Thragtusk
1 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
2 Armada Wurm 
4 Restoration Angel

Spells: 17
3 Detention Sphere
3 Rancor
2 Dissipate
2 Feeling of Dread
3 Azorious Charm
4 Farseek

Planeswalkers: 3
1 Jace, Archetict of Thought
1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter

Lands: 24
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Temple Garden
3 Glacial Fortress
3 Hinterland Harbor
3 Sunpetal Grove
2 Cavern of Souls
1 Gavony Township
1 Moorland Haunt
2 Island
1 Forest
1 Plains

Sideboard:
2 Rest in Peace
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Negate 
3 Centaur Healer
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Sundering Growth

Garruk in the deck is awesome no matter what match up he's against, against control he applies presure, against aggro he protects and chumps me and himself, his -3 is nice for more fuel and his final is GG.

What I wonder is, Trostani. Is she too cute for the deck? I can abuse ALL of her abilities quite well.

Turn 1, Land
Turn 2, Farseek
Turn 3, Trostani
Turn 4, Thragtusk (Gain 10 life)
Turn 5, Armada Wurm (Oh hey look, another 10 life)
Turn 6, Populate the wurm, and swing for GG.

Or, I can populate the angel that comes into play with geist or the Beast tokens or as I said before the Wurm token.
I love her personally... but who knows.

Is there any one sided board wipe besides Cyclonic Rift that Bant can play? I'd play Supreme Verdict but last time I checked, board wipes with aggro are nono's.
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
Sudden Disappearance, but it's only a temporary wipe.
sphinx's revelation is really, really good in virtually any deck that can reasonably cast it.   this is most certainly a deck that can reasonably cast it.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Here's an update:

The problem I have is control; Garruk should help, Thalia should help, but perhaps Silverblade will help the most by cranking up the damage. Is Rootborn Defenses worthwhile as a side-board card to cope with Divine Verdict? Should Thalia go maindeck?

What sort of recommendation do you have for side-boarding in practice? I'm especially interested in the control match-up.

Another question; does anyone think a couple copies of Revenge of the Hunted is a good idea? I must confess, the idea of swinging for 20 on turn three is appealing, however rarely it would occur in practice.

2 x Garruk, Primal Hunter

2 x Arbor Elf
4 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 x Loxodon Smiter
4 x Restoration Angel
4 x Silverblade Paladin
4 x Thragtusk

4 x Cloudshift
4 x Selesnya Charm

2 x Oblivion Ring
3 x Rancor

1 x Cavern of Souls
2 x Gavony Township
4 x Sunpetal Grove
3 x Temple Garden
8 x Forest
5 x Plains

Sideboard
3 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 x Knight of Glory
3 x Pithing Needle
3 x Ray of Revelation
2 x Sigarda, Host of Herons
A couple other cards I've been running...

2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride - Sometimes you just want to give your Rancor'd Loxodon Smiter or Strangleroot Geist flying and Double Strike.  If he lives beyond that, giving out +1 counters is just a bonus.

I also run a single copy of Divine Deflection.  They never see this coming, and it can just be a blowout.
A couple other cards I've been running...

2x Ajani, Caller of the Pride - Sometimes you just want to give your Rancor'd Loxodon Smiter or Strangleroot Geist flying and Double Strike.  If he lives beyond that, giving out +1 counters is just a bonus.

I also run a single copy of Divine Deflection.  They never see this coming, and it can just be a blowout.

I would run Ajani for aggro, but Garruk is very good for the mid-range. Since I've done the mid-range thing with good success already, I might give the aggro blend a try.

I do like Divine Deflection, but I haven't given it a try lately. It would be a pretty good side-board card I think.
For the control matchup I was running 3 Thalia in,my deck. But after one board wipe she is gone. Regardless of the 1 extra mana that needs to be paid, she is gone. So I switched her out and run 4 Strangleroot Giest instead, and it helps so much because they can survive to anything that doesn't remove them from the game. Also, when playing against co trol you know they will boardwipe. Don't lay more then two creatures at a time, more if it still leaves you with a couple in your hand to play and start bashing face with after the wipe. I have also started running 3Faith's Shield in my SB instead of knight of glory because it helps to save your creatures from spot removal, or makes it so certain creatures can't block yours for that final hit. I used to run 4 centaur healers because of zombies, but they became thalia's and now strangleroot giests based off what have been the nasty decks to beat. That's what is so nkce about the meta right now....no deck is the absolute king lime the last standard rotation.
Here's an update:

The problem I have is control; Garruk should help, Thalia should help, but perhaps Silverblade will help the most by cranking up the damage. Is Rootborn Defenses worthwhile as a side-board card to cope with Divine Verdict? Should Thalia go maindeck?

What sort of recommendation do you have for side-boarding in practice? I'm especially interested in the control match-up.

Another question; does anyone think a couple copies of Revenge of the Hunted is a good idea? I must confess, the idea of swinging for 20 on turn three is appealing, however rarely it would occur in practice.

2 x Garruk, Primal Hunter

2 x Arbor Elf
4 x Avacyn's Pilgrim
4 x Loxodon Smiter
4 x Restoration Angel
4 x Silverblade Paladin
4 x Thragtusk

4 x Cloudshift
4 x Selesnya Charm

2 x Oblivion Ring
3 x Rancor

1 x Cavern of Souls
2 x Gavony Township
4 x Sunpetal Grove
3 x Temple Garden
8 x Forest
5 x Plains

Sideboard
3 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 x Knight of Glory
3 x Pithing Needle
3 x Ray of Revelation
2 x Sigarda, Host of Herons

The cards that I have in my deck that match up well against Control are Loxodon Smiter, Judge's Familiar, Young Wolf, Dryad Militant, and Rancor.
If you're having a lot of problems with Control your best option may be to splash black and add in Abrupt Decay, Duress, and Deathrite Shaman.
thalia, PWs, acidic slime, oblivion ring, triumph of ferocity... there are plenty of GW options for anit-control.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

I have been building a Bant midrange on the following lines:

Bant Midrange

Creatures (22)

4 x Call of the Conclave
4 x Thragtusk
4 x Centaur Healer
3 x Restoration Angel
3 x Geist of Saint Traft
2 x Rhox Faithmender
2 x Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Spells (15)

4 x Farseek
4 x Rootborn Defenses
2 x Syncopate
2 x Supreme Verdict
2 x Cackling Counterpart
1 x Blustersquall

Land (23)

4 x Hallowed Fountain
4 x Temple Garden
4 x Hinterland Harbor
3 x Glacial Fortress
3 x Sunpetal Grove
3 x Forest
1 x Plains
1 x Island

Sideboard (15)

1 x Dissipate
2 x Syncopate
2 x Rhox Faithmender
2 x Supreme Verdict
3 x Rest in Peace
2 x Sundering Growth
1 x Druid's Deliverance
1 x Detention Sphere
1 x Intangible Virtue

I tried adding in blue, but it really didn't make it better.  Also, against RDW and Zombies (RB or GB), GW aggro/midrange plays far superior quality creatures, even though Zombies has by far the best 1-drops(this is all from experience so far with the deck).  And because I just don't have the cashflow to build several quality tournament decks, I have played the crap out of GW since rotation.  I played a christmas fund-raiser tournie yesterday and my first matchup was against a Bant midrange deck.  While he was casting Farseek I was casting Loxodon Smiter.  And if he tried to use Azorius Charm on my attacking creature I cast Faith's Shield to counter it.  Rancor on your creatures makes Lingering Souls and chump blockers irrelevant. 

I used Revenge of the Hunted right after rotation, and it's good.  But, a Smiter with a rancor or two soulbonded to a SB paladin swings for 12 or 16 trample damage.  Or a wolfir silverheart that is soulbonded to a silverblade paladin gives you an 8/8 and a 6/6 both with doublestrike.  Then add rancor.  :o)

Here is my decklist from yesterday.  I came in 12th, going 4-2 with 6 rounds.  MY two losses were both to Naya, which is a lot like my deck except with Bonfire of the Damned and Thundermaws.  And each time I lost a game, it was a topdecked bonfire that was my demise...

The Sideboard...
[deck]
1 Faith's Shield
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Triumph of Ferocity
2 Rest in Peace
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Pithing Needle
2 Nevermore
[/deck]
Nevermore is the best answer to the Bonfire problem.   And the best answer to Thundermaw Hellkites and Angel of Serenity is Selesnya charm, I am gonna work one more in my sideboard somehow.  I had added in the Triumph of Ferocity into my sideboard replacing Revenge of the Hunted on friday night, based off suggestions here on this thread.  My last matchup was against a 5-color midrange/control type deck.  He was playing sphynx's revelation, so I added in Triumph, and I ended up topdecking it on turn 2, which I cast with the help of the manadork I had.  The rest of that game I drew two cards every turn except one, because he got a topdeck terminus. But it was amazing drawing so many cards.
Anyways my matchups were  Round 1 Bant Midrange (won in 2 games), Round 2 UW aggro(won in two games), Round 3 GW midrange(won in 3 games. This was 10 year old kid who was there with his dad, and he was a good player), Round 4 Naya Midrange (lost in 3 games),  Round 5 Naya Midrange again (lost in 3 games), and then Round 6 5C midrange/control (won in 2 games).  There was around 50 people there.

My take on GW aggro/midrange:

Creatures: 25

Spells: 12

[deck]4x Faith's Shield
3x Selesnya Charm
3x Rancor
2x Revenge of the hunted[/deck]

Lands: 23

[deck]4x Forest
1x Overgrown Tomb
9x Plains
4x Sunpetal Grove
1x Swamp
1x Temple Garden
1x Vault of the Archangel
2x Woodland Cemetery[/deck]

Still working on the sideboard. It holds up well against other aggro decks especially mono red and R/B zombies, capable of outracing them to the end with a bit of lifegain on the way. Control is a problem if they hit a miracle sweeper early on, otherwise it's easy pickings. Midrange is where I'm having the most trouble. If I don't race them to the end their fatties usually eat right through me and there isn't much I can do in the lategame against GW midrange.

Thinking of throwning a couple of Ajani, caller of the pride in to help speed things along, the only problem is he competes for the three drop slot which is saturated as is.
Figure I may as well post my whole list.

Still tweaking the sideboard a little bit, looking to take out Silklash in favor of Garruk, Primal Hunter.  Also looking to replace the Militants with 2x copies of Rest in Peace, which just seems better.  Only other change I'm really considering is getting a 4th Sublime in place of Deflection, but I actually like the way Deflection plays out, and that's kind of a costly upgrade.

I've thought about what to do with the Geists, you'd rather be casting a Smiter, Ajani, or Silverblade on T2, but sometimes Forest, Forest, Geist is a good backup plan.  The haste late game can be relevant too.
This is my Naya Midrange deck that took 5th in FNM last night. I may have gone undefeated, but I made a judgment error at the beginning of game 3 of round 2 and lost. 

Creatures- 24
4x Avacyn’s Pilgrim
4x Restoration Angel
4x Huntmaster of the Fells
4x Thragtusk
2x Sigarda, Host of Herons
2x Thundermaw Hellkite
2x Balefire Dragon

Other Spells - 11
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter
3x Mizzium Mortars
4x Selesnya Keyrune
4x Farseek

Land -25
4x Temple Garden
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Forest
2x Kessig Wolf Run
1x Cavern of Souls
3x Mountain
3x Clifftop Retreat
4x Rootbound Craig

Side Board -15
4x Loxodon Smiter
4x Rest In Peace
4x Selesnya Charm
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter
1x Mizzium Mortars

Sigarda and Balefire were recent additions to replace Wolfir Silverheart which did fairly well to pop Thundermaw to 9 before swinging. I found that Balefire was an great finisher since no one was truly expecting it to hit the board, and it did well to clear the board when it hit, it if was opposed, I would pop Kessig and give it trample. It was a great finish to hexproof like Geist of St. Traft and token decks.
Anyone else seen Andrew Shrout's Naya Blue yet that took 2nd in Columbus?
I think since the deck was thrown together at the last minute, yet it is obviously good since it almost won the largest open series tournament in history, it can be improved.
Here is the list for reference

The main deck is something that I think might be improved. But how can we go about this? The deck seems to die to Rakdos Zombies after playing against it for 2 hours last night I didn't win but 1 or 2 games.
Should the deck play 4 selesnya charm? Seems like it may help. 
Maybe some maindeck Bonfire of the Damned? Or Mizzium Mortars?
Shrout even said something about needing to fix his "last minute" manabase. So there might be a good place to start.
I myself don't care for the 2 centaur healers in the main as I don't see them when they matter. 

Blue White CONTROL
i've worked on lists similar, but i can't seem to make them work.  decks that are really streamlined just seem to run over you.

Photobucket

Would just  Naya be a much better option? I found another list that had a much more seemingly stable land base and more options in terms of removal. Its the list Jun Yu piloted in the Las Vegas SCG open. 

Blue White CONTROL
Going to my first GPT this weekend, and I am looking for sideboard advice....

My deck itself is playtested and pretty reliable. I have played the same deck and keep making mods and have it to a pretty refined list for quite a while now. Where I think my biggest issues are in my sideboard, and what to take out to sb in certain cards. There is a lot of aggro in our local meta, and I really don't have any issues other than GW/UW humans and rakdos aggro. My bad matchups are Naya, and Bant control. Even Jund control/midrange is not an issue really. My question is for the more experienced players and what should I sub out/in in my bad matchups. Here is my decklist with sideboard...

Thanks in advance!
Blue White CONTROL

Does Setessan Tactics or Banishing light give GW a chance vs Mono U? If so What would you replace in my sideboard for them?

Sign In to post comments