Jund Midrange

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
All discussion for Jund Midrange decks shall go here.

Deck lists to come pending formatting fixes.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

My list is a little unusual, but here it is.

18 creatures
4 Flinthoof boar
2 Dreg Mangler
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Thragtusk
4 Thundermaw hellkite

18 Spells
2 Rancor
4 Farseek
3 Dreadbore (swaps for Mortors or abrupt decay based on meta)
3 devil's play
2 Rakdos Keyrune
4 Sever the Bloodline

24 lands
4 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Rootbound Crag
2 Woodland Cemetery
5 Mountain
1 Forest

Sideboard
4 Slaughter Games (Naming your wincon or Thragtusk, Named saint traft into a scoop once, note how good they are in multiples)
3 Rakdos's return (Against any deck not running Smiter, or superquick)
4 Knight of Infamy (Saint Traft, any white creature deck

Last 4 sideboard spots change a lot. I'm still finding the best option there.

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

I played a similar version on FNM and went 4-1. I lost to a tempo based uwr deck. I was running Wolfir Avenger but found him pretty much useless except against the tempo deck. We saw almost no aggro decks which is why the Vampire Nighthawks are in the board. I do have some sweet tech against Thundermaw Hellkite and other flyers. Silklash Spider. It doesn't get tapped and it can block it and live. It was pretty awesome in my old Rock decks when it was printed in 9th. I just don't know what to take out, probably Vampire Nighthaw
I saw enough Senor Chang and Zombies and reanimator that maindeck Deathrite Shaman is the correct play. I am thinking of playing all 3 maindeck with Rakdos's Return only sideboard. Bonfire of the Damned is amazing but a 2/2 split with Mizzium Mortars seems way stronger. 

The worst part is that the I have no maindeck answers to Geist of Saint Traft except blockers and Bonfire of the Damned/Mizzium Mortars (overloaded.)
My decks: Jund Rock
4 Blood Crypt
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Forest
1 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Overgrown Tomb
7 Swamp
2 Woodland Cemetery

3 Olivia Voldaren
4 Thragtusk 

2 Garruk Relentless
1 Vraska the Unseen

2 Chromatic Lantern
2 Rakdos Keyrune

2 Abrupt Decay
3 Dreadbore
4 Farseek
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Mutilate
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Sever the Bloodline
3 Sign in Blood

Sideboard:

3 Appetite for Brains
1 Vraska the Unseen
2 Slaughter Games
3 Deathrite Shaman
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Magmaquake
2 Desecration Demon

This has been performing well against most decks. Esper control is usually a struggle, and EE can run away with the game sometimes. Strongly considering MD Deathrite Shamans, and Pithing Needle in the side.
The list that i've been playtesting with since RTR was released, I've been extremely happy with it and I really don't have any bad matchups, although U/W Flash has been giving me a run for my money the last week.

Land - 23

4 - Overgrown Tomb
4 - Blood Crypt
4 - Woodland Cemetery
4 - Rootbound Crag
2 - Kessig Wolf Run
2 - Forest
1 - Swamp
1 - Mountain
1 - Evolving Wilds

Creatures - 13

3 - Deathrite Shaman
4 - Huntmaster of the Fells
4 - Thragtusk
2 - Thundermaw Hellkite

Legendary Creatures - 2

2 - Olivia Voldaren

Artifacts - 2

2 - Rakdos Keyrune

Instants - 7

3 - Abrupt Decay
3 - Searing Spear
1 - Ultimate Price

Sorceries - 12

4 - Farseek
2 - Bonfire of the Damned
1 - Mizzium Mortars
2 - Sever the Bloodline
1 - Slaughter Games
1 - Rakdos's Return

Planeswalkers - 3

1 - Garruk Relentless
1 - Liliana of the Veil
1 - Garruk, Primal Hunter

Sideboard - 15

2 - Liliana of the Veil
1 - Rakdos's Return
3 - Pillar of Flame
1 - Deathrite Shaman
3 - Slaughter Games
1 - Ultimate Price
1 - Abrupt Decay
3 - Dreadbore

It's been extremely effective, especially after sideboard. Unburial Rites can be a tough game one, but after sideboard it just gets wrecked by this list.
Made a new thread at http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29494627/?sdb=1&post_num=2#526070197 since this one has had no updates in the original post since its been put up.
Made a new thread at http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29494627/?sdb=1&post_num=2#526070197 since this one has had no updates in the original post since its been put up.

that's not how this works

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Been trying Searing Spear X2 and Ultimate Price X2 over Pillar of Flame and I must say I'm quite pleased with the results.
New list designed to beat UW Flash.dec and GW Aggro.dec whilst still having game against the rest of the field.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

This one does not comply with any of the rules to post here. The new one compies to all of them.

This one does not comply with any of the rules to post here. The new one compies to all of them.

You can't create new threads for the same archetype in STC everyone knows this and you should to.

*shrugs*

Well if the rules aren't followed than why have them? I just fixed the issue so we had an actual Arechtype thread for people to discuss in and new players can see what the deck is when opening the thread.  
*shrugs*

Well if the rules aren't followed than why have them? I just fixed the issue so we had an actual Arechtype thread for people to discuss in and new players can see what the deck is when opening the thread.  

Huh?? You didn't fix anything. You created a thread in the tournament center forums for a deck that already had a thread (posted by a VCL) literally a couple of threads down (the thread we are posting in now).

So what exactly did you fix again?
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
The fact that there is an opening post. There are decklists, cards to be playing, A brief description what the deck does. You know all the things that the rules thread says to do BEFORE posting in the TC. This is just a named thread where a few people have posted a couple decks.
You can't create new threads for the same archetype in STC everyone knows this and you should to.

How long until someone removes his thread?

Also, Garruk Relentless or Garruk, primal hunter? Discuss.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

How long until someone removes his thread?

Also, Garruk Relentless or Garruk, primal hunter? Discuss.

Primal Hunter is the only playable one and probably fairly soon once the mods notice it's there.

hunter, not close

in metagames like this one with excessive durdle, drawing extra cards in 3's and 5's is very, very significant.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

Mono789 resigned from being moderator which is why Enchantment Control is still here and why none of the threads are properly started. I honestly thought people might be appreciative of a thread that will be updated for the deck they feel passionate about.
Sideboarding techniques for people who want to play this deck competitively.

UW Flash
-3 Olivia Voldaren
-2 Searing Spear
-3 Sever the Bloodline
-2 Bonfire of the Damned
-2 Dreadbore

+3 Duress
+4 Deathrite Shaman
+2 Liliana of the Veil
+1 Underworld Connections
+2 Slaughter Games ( naming Resto Angel usually or sometimes Sphinx's Revelation depending on the build)

Frites
-2 Abrupt Decay
-1 Dreadbore
-2 Rakdos Return
-3 Bonfire of the Damned
-2 Searing Spear

+4 Deathrite Shaman
+2 Appetite for Brains
+3 Slaughter Games

UWR Midrange
-3 Olivia Voldaren
-1 Bonfire of the Damned
-1 Dreadbore
-2 Searing Spear
-3 Sever the Bloodline

+4 Deathrite Shaman
+3 Duress
+2 Liliana of the Veil

GW Aggro
-2 Rakdos Return

+2 Appetite for Brains (Sigarda)

Mirror
-3 Bonfire of the Damned
-1 Olivia Voldaren
-1 Dreadbore
-2 Ultimate Price
-2 Sever the Bloodline

+4 Deathrite Shaman
+2 Appetite for Brains
+2 Liliana of the Veil

Enchantment Control.
NA

Zombies.
Meh

My list for reference

Your SB tactics make a compelling argument for running at least a few Deathrite Shaman MD. You are siding the full 4 in for almost every matchup. G/W Aggro and possibly Enchantment Control are the only matchups you would likely leave them out. You didn't mention Zombies, but that is already a favorable matchup, and Deathrite Shaman works just as well there too, noming Gravecrawlers and Messengers.

Seems like it is good in certain corner cases as well, such as eating stuff like Lingering Souls, Think Twice, Sever the Bloodline, Forbidden Alchemy and whatnot against Esper.

I like this card more and more every time I play with it, in pretty much any deck that can run him. I have even been screwing around with the idea of using Deathrite Shaman alongside Terramorphic Expanse to see how well it works, obviously Jund isn't the place to be trying it, and in the end, it will likely just end up as a janky casual project of mine.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Your SB tactics make a compelling argument for running at least a few Deathrite Shaman MD. You are siding the full 4 in for almost every matchup. G/W Aggro and possibly Enchantment Control are the only matchups you would likely leave them out. You didn't mention Zombies, but that is already a favorable matchup, and Deathrite Shaman works just as well there too, noming Gravecrawlers and Messengers.

Seems like it is good in certain corner cases as well, such as eating stuff like Lingering Souls, Think Twice, Sever the Bloodline, Forbidden Alchemy and whatnot against Esper.

I like this card more and more every time I play with it, in pretty much any deck that can run him. I have even been screwing around with the idea of using Deathrite Shaman alongside Terramorphic Expanse to see how well it works, obviously Jund isn't the place to be trying it, and in the end, it will likely just end up as a janky casual project of mine.

I agree it's maindeckable in some number I'm just more comfortable running a full set in the board for now.

Almost forgot about RDW probably because it's not a real deck but anyway...

-3 Olivia Voldaren
-2 Rakdos Return
-1 Dreadbore

+4 Deathrite Shaman
+2 Duress

Deathrite Shaman are absolutely maindeck material. They are essentially Grim Lavamancer while hosing a ton of decks. Completely wrecks reanimator. Also Pillar of Flame is also not needed if your meta has no Zombies. It really doesn't do anything against any of the big decks besides kill opposing Deathrite Shamn but Abrupt Decay does that fine.
  Wouldn't pillar of flame be good against just about every other aggro deck as well? 

My list I am currently looking to test...

I have yet to build a sideboard because I want to test the deck first.
If anyone can help me tune to my meta it be an awesome deck I'm sure. For reference my meta only had one zombies player in it last night and that was me. I myself played against 2 esper control, 1 American control, GW humans and Jund Midrange. It's worth noting though there was a huge percentage of GW aggro more than anything followed closely by variants of control.  
Blue White CONTROL
I've been trying to justify Slaughter Games to some of the people who play on my campus, and I am wondering what you guys think.  I mean, the obvious is that it can nuetralize a threat, but at the cost of a 4-drop that takes a slot in the deck, and gives me a potential card disadvantage.  I mean, I would only run it against a deck that was like thragusk/resto angel and no other creatures, to basically screw that deck over, but how do you guys see it?
can anyone name what the bad matchups for this deck are?

Photobucket

I've been trying to justify Slaughter Games to some of the people who play on my campus, and I am wondering what you guys think.  I mean, the obvious is that it can nuetralize a threat, but at the cost of a 4-drop that takes a slot in the deck, and gives me a potential card disadvantage.  I mean, I would only run it against a deck that was like thragusk/resto angel and no other creatures, to basically screw that deck over, but how do you guys see it?

In a deck sporting Thragtusk I would name Thragtusk but one of the real reasons to run it is to take out the  one thing in the format that lets the blue decks get ahead more than anything...sphinx's revelation. Take that out of any blue deck(if they're not running it, the deck is bad) and they have a hard time holding onto control for long. It allows them stabilize, draw insane CA and answers. Resolving one of these against aggro makes it hard for aggro  to find a way to beat control without overextending into a sweeper. 
Rip Thragtusk out of a green deck and suddenly they will not be able to hold onto dear life too long.
Slaughter games is a fine card for Jund and most should be playing it as it can just break a game wide open at turn 4. Turn 3 if you farseeked.  
Blue White CONTROL
interesting Slaughter Games justification, but now I have a new question: I am looking for possible replacements for swagtusk and thundermaw for jund midrange.  I don't have the resources to get them (I spent it all on huntmasters and olivia voldaren), and so I need some solid replacements.  Here is my deck build:

Creatures (20)
3 Olivia Voldaren

3 Huntmaster of the Fells
3 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Wolfir Silverheart
4 Dreg Mangler

Spells (17)
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Farseek
2 Brimstone Volley
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Searing Spear
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return

Lands(23)
2 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Rootbound Crag
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
1 Golgari Guild Gate
2 Rakdos Guild Gate
3 Evolving Wilds
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
3 Forest

I know I need better dual lands, and I'm working on getting them, but it's creatures and spells I want to iron out. My sideboard has more kill cards (murder, ultimate price), and then a few slaughter games.  I'm thinking maybe swap the Deadbridge for 2 Rakdos, Lord of Riots, and then twist someone's arm to get a last Huntmaster?  Though I'd like to have a backup plan if I can't get another one of those, since they are currently 20 bucks and no one wants to part with them. Right now in most of my hands I seem to get flooded with Dregs and Deadbridge, and while those are decent filler cards, having so many is leading to games where I don't get win condition monsters.  Like I said, I am thinking putting in Rakdos will give me some better help, and Wolfir should be an adequate replacement as well, as he can generate some serious heat by himself.  Any thoughts on the spells I am running?  Should I maybe take out one of the categories of creatures (like the Manglers), to make room for more spells?  Any help would be appreciated

It stomps aggro because it's made out of removal and value dudes. 

Bant control is probably the most relevant bad matchup.  They have sooo much more long game than Jund via Sphinx's Revelation.  That said, if you aim to aggressively Slaughter Games their Revelations, I can see that matchup improving a lot.  Without that card they're a normal deck.  Also, who says we can't do Bant's trick and play one MD Steam Vents and a Drownyard?

Also UW Flash used to be a nightmare, for what that's worth anymore.  Although honestly you can just shoehorn in 2-3 Cavern and you're fine.  Even resolving one value creature is huge trouble for counterspell decks.

Interesting, might actually be a good time to dust Jund off.  But seriously.  You HAVE to Slaughter Games their Revelations.  Otherwise you lose.

I'ma post a list tomorrow.  I think there's something good here now the meta's stable.  I'm feeling kinda 3/4 Jund Midrange, 1/4 Niche's "I hate everything" BR deck.  Sleeping now.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
interesting Slaughter Games justification, but now I have a new question: I am looking for possible replacements for swagtusk and thundermaw for jund midrange.  I don't have the resources to get them (I spent it all on huntmasters and olivia voldaren), and so I need some solid replacements.  Here is my deck build:

Creatures (20)
3 Olivia Voldaren

3 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Wolfir Silverheart
4 Dreg Mangler

Spells (17)
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Farseek
2 Brimstone Volley
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Searing Spear
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return

Lands(23)
2 Kessig Wolf Run
4 Rootbound Crag
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
1 Golgari Guild Gate
2 Rakdos Guild Gate
3 Evolving Wilds
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
3 Forest

I know I need better dual lands, and I'm working on getting them, but it's creatures and spells I want to iron out. My sideboard has more kill cards (murder, ultimate price), and then a few slaughter games.  I'm thinking maybe swap the Deadbridge for 2 Rakdos, Lord of Riots, and then twist someone's arm to get a last Huntmaster?  Though I'd like to have a backup plan if I can't get another one of those, since they are currently 20 bucks and no one wants to part with them. Right now in most of my hands I seem to get flooded with Dregs and Deadbridge, and while those are decent filler cards, having so many is leading to games where I don't get win condition monsters.  Like I said, I am thinking putting in Rakdos will give me some better help, and Wolfir should be an adequate replacement as well, as he can generate some serious heat by himself.  Any thoughts on the spells I am running?  Should I maybe take out one of the categories of creatures (like the Manglers), to make room for more spells?  Any help would be appreciated

I don't want to sound like a troll but...Rakdos, Lord of Riots isn't a good card. And there ISN'T a solid replacement for the best value creature in standard. Gain 5 life, he dies get a 3/3 beast...nothing comes close. I really wouldn't know how to replace him to be honest. 
Blue White CONTROL
I guess I would ask why Rakdos isn't good... I mean, he's more or less a 4-6 drop depending on what you have on the field, and he has flying and trample.  And then I would say that I refuse to believe that I can't be competitive because I'm not running one card.  I mean I know Thrag is downright broken in standard, but I think I can still do well without him...

It stomps aggro because it's made out of removal and value dudes. 

Bant control is probably the most relevant bad matchup.  They have sooo much more long game than Jund via Sphinx's Revelation.  That said, if you aim to aggressively Slaughter Games their Revelations, I can see that matchup improving a lot.  Without that card they're a normal deck.  Also, who says we can't do Bant's trick and play one MD Steam Vents and a Drownyard?

Also UW Flash used to be a nightmare, for what that's worth anymore.  Although honestly you can just shoehorn in 2-3 Cavern and you're fine.  Even resolving one value creature is huge trouble for counterspell decks.

Interesting, might actually be a good time to dust Jund off.  But seriously.  You HAVE to Slaughter Games their Revelations.  Otherwise you lose.

I'ma post a list tomorrow.  I think there's something good here now the meta's stable.  I'm feeling kinda 3/4 Jund Midrange, 1/4 Niche's "I hate everything" BR deck.  Sleeping now.

i thought this might be the answer.  i've never lost to bant or to UW (or UW/x) flash because jund has too much hate for those decks to win.

GW aggro, however, seems like it's an issue. they have big stuff, or can gain a lot of board advantage with restoration angels and other "value" things.

i played in a few daily events on modo yesterday, and went 7-1 in matches, only losing to GW.  i'm pretty sure i faced UW/x "flash" at least 4 times and think i only dropped like 1 game.  lots of rakdos and RDW were fairly easy as well. 

Photobucket

Yeah, I forgot about GW.  When I was running a list with 4 Nighthawks, that deck never gave me trouble.  Then control got bigger so I dropped Nighthawks, and consquently lost a hearty chunk of percentage against GW.

I'm not sure Nighthawk's the correct direction to revert to at this point... Rakdos is still more prolific than GW, and they just Spear him.  There's nothing else that fills that gap, but then maybe it doesn't need to be filled.

This is kiiinda where I would want to be right now.  And I'll explain my decisions below.

4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Thragtusk
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
1 Olivia

3 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Staff of Nin
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Garruk Relentless

4 Farseek
4 Pillar of Flame
3 Dreadbore
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Ultimate Price
2 Sever the Bloodline
2 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Slaughter Games

4 Tomb
4 Crypt
4 Crag
4 Cemetery
3 Forest
1 Mountain
2 Cavern
2 Kessig

SB
3 Deathrite Shaman
1 Olivia
2 Curse of Death's Hold
3 Duress
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Slaughter Games
2 Underworld Connections

Olivia is "good," I know.  But she's awful against Bant and not even very good against Rakdos.  You have to have mana up to keep her out of Spear range, so she's basically too slow.  She absolutely balls GW though, so I want access to 2 post-board.

Keyrune - not so hot against aggro since it doesn't "do anything," but it's a hedge against control, and not even awful game one against aggro.  Staff is basically the same.  Possibly it's a sideboard card, though.

2-1 split of Primal Hunter/Relentless - Relentless is very worthwhile against aggro.  The versatility of blockers or removal is very solid.  Primal Hunter is the stones, but sometimes you just need to kill a Silverblade Paladin.

Singleton MD Slaughter Games.  Name Sphinx's Revelation game 1 against Bant.  Feel like a man's man.  And it's not even bad at hitting Aristocrats or whatever against aggro before you board it out.

I have forgotten entirely to include 2 copies of Silklash Spiderp in my sideboard.  I feel totally vindicated about that card since I've been noodling with it for a month and Chapin just wrote that he and Kibler have been theoretically hot about it.  It's basically fighting for slots with Curse, and I'm not sure which I like more.  Curse doesn't die to Ultimate Price, and that's a pretty thing.

I dunno, lay some feedback on me B_F.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Here is my current list....actually my LGS  that I have been playing at the last couple years just shutdown Tuesday. I guess I could return to the place I used to play at when I started, my only problem with my current list is it was tooled for my recent LGS meta not the one going on where I plan to play now. Its an unknown factor of what the meta is there. I guess my best option would be to run a more stock list now. 

Blue White CONTROL
GW has been my main issue as well. A turn 2 Thalia completely throws a wrench in my gameplan. If she's on the field, I no longer have a consistent turn 3-4 sweeper, and things can get out of hand quickly.
finally, they posted a tournament with one of my decks:

www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlin...

this is more or less what version i've been on lately.  scroll down a few to see it. 

Photobucket

Desecration Demon in this build?  I'm still trying to find a way to play this deck without having Thragtusk or Thundermaw Hellkite, just because I can't get them yet.  Thankfully I already had the Olivia Voldaren and Huntmasters.  Here is my deck build:

Creatures (18)

3 Olivia Voldaren
4 Vampire Nighthawk

2 Desecration Demon
2 Wolfir Silverheart
4 Dreg Mangler

Planewalkers (1)

Garruk, Primal Hunter

Spells (18)
3 Pillar of Flame

4 Farseek
2 Brimstone Volley
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Searing Spear
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return

Lands(23)
2 Kessig Wolf Run
3 Rootbound Crag
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Blood Crypt
2 Golgari Guild Gate
2 Rakdos Guild Gate
3 Evolving Wilds
3 Mountain
3 Swamp
3 Forest

Sideboard

3 Slaughter Games

2 Tragic Slip

1 Mizzium Mortar

3 Murder

2 Sever the Bloodline

2 Appetite for Brains

2 Dreadbore

I don't know why the formatting got so screwed up
 I like your list and really it seems I may have underestimated Staff of Nin in the deck. 

Here is the list I have been testing since last weekend.

I really enjoy playing this deck it can be a real powerhouse in the mid to late game. I would play my bant control list but I don't want to initiate in Sphinx's Revelation wars when I could just slaughter games them out.  
Blue White CONTROL
Shredder, that's honestly my thinking at this point.  The logic is that we know Revelation is objectively the most powerful lategame card in the format.  The question is whether we can beat it with Slaughter Games.  That's kinda the thought experiment I want to test now, because if so, I think Jund is the best deck in the format.  It pukes on aggro harder than Bant, so if we beat Bant, we're the thing.

Also, I still don't like being that heavy on Olivia.  She's not that solid on the format right now.  BR makes her turns too slow, and Bant doesn't really play dudes against us.  A good card against GW, yes, and random midrange mirrors, the latter of which are the smallest represented segment of the format.  I think she's boarded right now. 

B_F, I dig the list, and cheers on the success man.  How are you doing against Rakdos and GW respectively like that in game 1?  I could be overestimating Pillar, but I think it's just solid now.  I'd rather have those as my "dead" removal against control in game 1 since they at least aim at walkers/domes.

Return as a 2 in the MD is actually interesting.  Most of the U decks now only run 4 Dissipate main, so odds of them snipping your Return is pretty small if you bait things right.  Kinda like that.  Then again it's pretty dildos against aggro, so..

Also, again, let's talk some Silklash Spider.

catowner wrote:
Islands wrote:
I have kinda toyed with the idea of cutting her down to 2 and maybe adding an garukk, relentless in here. Or something good. Maybe just cut her and the underworld connections and just main a couple of pillar of flame. 

Also, once I can locate a couple Silklash Spider I intend to SB 2 of them.
 Maybe also play a Slaughter Games main? 
Blue White CONTROL
I feel as though my post was overlooked...
Sign In to post comments