U/W/x Control

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
All discussion for U/W/x Control decks shall go here.

Deck lists to come pending formatting fixes.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
 Since no one has posted in here to get things started here is my ever changing current list.

sideboard
[deck]
2 ray of revelation
2 dissipate
3 negate
2 rest in peace
1 garruk, primal hunter
1 jace, memory adept
2 sigarda, host of herons
1 supreme verdict
1 sphinx's revelation
[/deck]
Blue White CONTROL
Lands:
4 - Hallowed Fountain
4 - Glacial Fortress
4 - Drowned Catacomb
4 - Isolated Chapel
4 - Island
4 - Plains
2 - Nephalia Drownyard
26 Lands

Creatures:
0 Creatures

Other Spells:
4 - Syncopate
2 - Dissipate
4 - Think Twice
4 - Azorius Charm
3 - Detention Sphere
1 - Oblivion Ring
2 - Supreme Verdict
4 - Terminus
2 - Sphinx's Revelation
1 - Elixir of Immortality
4 - Jace, Architect of Thought
1 - Jace, Memory Adept
2 - Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
34 Other Spells

Sideboard:
2 - Negate
2 - Dissipate
1 - Psychic Spiral
1 - Supreme Verdict
1 - Sundering Growth
3 - Seraph of Dawn
3 - Righteous Blow
2 - Purify the Grave
15 Cards in Sideboard

winning by damage as a control deck in this format is pointless

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

i think UWR control stopped being a real deck after week one when everyone realized that zombies wasn't a real deck.

the deck doesn't have access to good finishers.  entreat the angels is a terrible card, angel of serenity is decent, but you probably want another one over a niv (they work best in multiples, considering you have no other creatures.

on that note, where are you PWs?  if you can't afford them, then i'd say play augur of bolas since you have a reasonable ins/sor count, and it works OK with angel of serentity as a "target" 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

I fixed it, was missing 5 cards(the planeswalkers). I disagree about the finishers, I think Niv Mizzet is perfectly fine finisher, along with AOS, being able to recurr it from my GY if they kill him. However you may be right about the entreat, and maybe it should just be a third AOS instead of cutting the niv's.

Running the red gives, you Searing spear which can kill thragtusk, olivia, keyrunes, EOT planeswalker damage, plus you get temblor in the board in case you run into aggo, as well as hellkite for tokens and a control mirror.

The first R/W/U decks just splashed red for Pillars and zombies. While I agree that you don't need pillars for zombies, I think there are other cards in red that are worthwhile.
this deck shouldn't have to care about thrag or olivia.  the damage to PWs is mostly irrelevant since you should be able to sphere them.  key runes is about the only thing worthwhile, but hardly seem worth it.

maybe a better way to look at this is why run red over another color?

Photobucket

That's a fair question.

Red Gives you:
Pillar of Flame
rolling temblor
Niv Mizzet
Searing Spear
Thundermaw Hellkite
Devils Play

Black Gives you:
Lingering Souls
Sorin
Ultimate Price
Nephalia Drownyard
Murder

Green Gives you:
Thragtusk
Farseek
Garruk Primal
Garruk Relentless
Centaur healer

I'm thinking of cutting the Entreat and 1 other card for 2 Hellkites main. Then cutting 1 ghost quarter for a cavern main.
Posting this from the other thread because I figured it belonged in here as well. I also didn't want to have to type out the entire deck again...

Took 2nd place tonight at FNM. The list worked near flawless for me tonight. I don't have full detail reports but the layout of my matches looks like this.

Round 1 vs. GB midrange....I guess. (2-0)
Round 2 vs. UW midrange.(2-0)
Round 3 vs. UW humans (2-0)
Round 4 vs. Reanimator (1-1-1)
Round 5 vs. Mono red aggro (2-1)

The most detailed round I remember is the game where I lost game 2 to Mono Red Aggro. He had the nuts draw of three hellriders by turn 5. I blew one up. Only for another to replace it. Blow that one up. He drew the 3rd one and a Shred freak in hand to kill me.
Game 3 was a close one til I ran him out of cards and laid double thragtusk. Next turn swing with both and azorius charm for life gain getting me 10 life.

Here is the list I played.

Sideboard
[deck]
2 dissipate
1 negate
2 rest in peace
1 ground seal
1 ray of revelation
1 sundering growth
2 sigarda, host of herons
3 centaur healer
1 terminus
1 sphinx's revelation
[/deck]

I think I have hit a pretty solid balance for my local meta at this moment. Nothing I drew seemed irrelevant in any matchup tonight.
Blue White CONTROL
you probably don't need to run any basic plains since you have so many white lands already with duals and the fact that you get white mana every time you play farseek.  and maybe the 4th hinterland harbor over a sunpetal grove?  but not sure on that one.

you need some basic forests instead for hitting early farseeks and to help cast garruk more reliably

do you really need more than 1 enchantment/artifact based hate card in the board?  the seem awfully redundant when you play detention spheres.  1 ray of revelation should be enough (i've acctually cut mine) and this opens another spot maindeck.

speaking of maindeck, put that sphinx's revelation in your main.  quickly.  its better thank think twice.  think twice isn't a good card in this deck, and is also hurt by your RIPs.  if you want early card draw, run divination or something, but think twice isn't good in this deck.  revelation is leagues better. 

Photobucket

you probably don't need to run any basic plains since you have so many white lands already with duals and the fact that you get white mana every time you play farseek.  and maybe the 4th hinterland harbor over a sunpetal grove?  but not sure on that one.

you need some basic forests instead for hitting early farseeks and to help cast garruk more reliably

do you really need more than 1 enchantment/artifact based hate card in the board?  the seem awfully redundant when you play detention spheres.  1 ray of revelation should be enough (i've acctually cut mine) and this opens another spot maindeck.

speaking of maindeck, put that sphinx's revelation in your main.  quickly.  its better thank think twice.  think twice isn't a good card in this deck, and is also hurt by your RIPs.  if you want early card draw, run divination or something, but think twice isn't good in this deck.  revelation is leagues better. 

I'm not quite sure what you're juggling here. I've foregone Hinterland Harbor so that my basic Plains and Shocks act as a "key" to making the quazi-duals come into play untapped, which makes knowing which hands to pitch easier, as well as give a clearer idea of what to dig for.

Sphinx's Revelation IS better in his deck than Think Twice, but TT gives him early deck thinning which is very important, while Divination stunts his draw by a turn, and possibly his capacity to successfully operate a 2-lander. Often Azorius Charm is too valuable to cycle in these situations, so playing a bit of the micro-game just plain helps.

@Shredder-
I don't like Rest in Peace or Sigarda, Host of Herons in the board. RIP is just a hate card if you aren't pushing Misthollow Griffin, and that can be an absolute waste of a card considering that Reanimators and Snapcaster decks are just going to beat you with their threats anyways. Your deck is already too threat dense, Sigarda is likely to be drawn when you'd rather have a draw spell, PW or a piece of removal. Ground Seal on the otherhand is another 2 mana cantrip, so even in being a hate card, it doesn't stunt you a card.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

I'm not quite sure what you're juggling here. I've foregone Hinterland Harbor so that my basic Plains and Shocks act as a "key" to making the quazi-duals come into play untapped, which makes knowing which hands to pitch easier, as well as give a clearer idea of what to dig for.

Sphinx's Revelation IS better in his deck than Think Twice, but TT gives him early deck thinning which is very important, while Divination stunts his draw by a turn, and possibly his capacity to successfully operate a 2-lander. Often Azorius Charm is too valuable to cycle in these situations, so playing a bit of the micro-game just plain helps.

@Shredder-
I don't like Rest in Peace or Sigarda, Host of Herons in the board. RIP is just a hate card if you aren't pushing Misthollow Griffin, and that can be an absolute waste of a card considering that Reanimators and Snapcaster decks are just going to beat you with their threats anyways. Your deck is already too threat dense, Sigarda is likely to be drawn when you'd rather have a draw spell, PW or a piece of removal. Ground Seal on the otherhand is another 2 mana cantrip, so even in being a hate card, it doesn't stunt you a card.

The thing with Sigarda is she is absolutely needed in my meta with alot of Zealous conscripts running around. She can't be taken from me like thragtusk or AoS. I typically take out AoS when I bring in Sigarda. It speeds my game up against Mono Red and Zombies.
 I defintely don't want Divination in here it just doesn't serve the purpose I need. I would rather play another Sphinx's Revelation over Divination. I may put the other in. That is the one thing I have been thinking of changing.
Blue White CONTROL

Show
Lands:
4 - Hallowed Fountain
4 - Glacial Fortress
4 - Drowned Catacomb
4 - Isolated Chapel
4 - Island
4 - Plains
2 - Nephalia Drownyard
26 Lands

Creatures:
0 Creatures

Other Spells:
4 - Syncopate
2 - Dissipate
4 - Think Twice
4 - Azorius Charm
3 - Detention Sphere
1 - Oblivion Ring
2 - Supreme Verdict
4 - Terminus
2 - Sphinx's Revelation
1 - Jace, Memory Adept
34 Other Spells

Sideboard:
2 - Negate
2 - Dissipate
1 - Psychic Spiral
1 - Supreme Verdict
1 - Sundering Growth
3 - Seraph of Dawn
3 - Righteous Blow
2 - Purify the Grave
15 Cards in Sideboard

this deck continues to show promise.  i made updates here and there.  its very hard to lose to creature decks.

Photobucket

Show
Lands:
4 - Hallowed Fountain
4 - Glacial Fortress
4 - Drowned Catacomb
4 - Isolated Chapel
4 - Island
4 - Plains
2 - Nephalia Drownyard
26 Lands

Creatures:
0 Creatures

Other Spells:
4 - Syncopate
2 - Dissipate
4 - Think Twice
4 - Azorius Charm
3 - Detention Sphere
1 - Oblivion Ring
2 - Supreme Verdict
4 - Terminus
2 - Sphinx's Revelation
1 - Jace, Memory Adept
34 Other Spells

Sideboard:
2 - Negate
2 - Dissipate
1 - Psychic Spiral
1 - Supreme Verdict
1 - Sundering Growth
3 - Seraph of Dawn
3 - Righteous Blow
2 - Purify the Grave
15 Cards in Sideboard

this deck continues to show promise.  i made updates here and there.  its very hard to lose to creature decks.

I really like your deck list, reminds me a lot of U/B control back in the Scars Block.  Just curious though, you mentioned in one of your other posts that CoS will probably be showing up a lot more now that more counterspells are being played.  How would you change your deck to work around that?  Obviously counterspells would have less value, but they're not completely useless. 

Also, you're the first U/W/B control deck that I've seen to not run Lingering Souls.  How do you stay alive with those fast aggro decks like Zombies or G/W aggro?
 Is it just me or does most players forget about all the modes on Azorius charm except to draw cards? Watching the open I watched players lose because they wouldn't cast the charm to put an attacker on top of their opponents library.
Blue White CONTROL
 Is it just me or does most players forget about all the modes on Azorius charm except to draw cards? Watching the open I watched players lose because they wouldn't cast the charm to put an attacker on top of their opponents library.

Weird, it's the lifegain ability that doesn't get used enough in my experience. :P I guess that's what makes cards like charms so fun though- watching bad players misused them.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Weird, it's the lifegain ability that doesn't get used enough in my experience. :P I guess that's what makes cards like charms so fun though- watching bad players misused them.

Agreed.

I use all the modes just depends on the situation I'm in. Early game if I need land or something I draw, but most the time I am bouncing a creature to the top of the library. I have watched countless players hold charms and die its ridiculous. I'm thinking to myself read your damned cards bro!
Blue White CONTROL
I've been working on this deck for a little bit and have finally tuned a list that I really feel comfortable with:

4 [C]Glacial Fortress[/C]
4 [C]Hallowed Fountain[/C]
4 [C]Drowned Catacomb[/C]
4 [C]Isolated Chapel[/C]
3 [C]Island[/C]
2 [C]Plains[/C]
1 [C]Swamp[/C]
1 [C]Vault of the Archangel[/C]
2 [C]Nephalia Drownyard[/C]

3 [C]Jace, Architect of Thought[/C]
2 [C]Tamiyo, the Moon Sage[/C]
2 [C]Sorin, Lord of Innistrad[/C]

3 [C]Snapcaster Mage[/C]

3 [C]Supreme Verdict[/C]
3 [C]Terminus[/C]
3 [C]Azorius Charm[/C]
2 [C]Ultimate Price[/C]
2 [C]Detention Sphere[/C]
4 [C]Lingering Souls[/C]
3 [C]Think Twice[/C]
2 [C]Shpinx's Revelation[/C]
2 [C]Syncopate[/C]
1 [C]Dissipate[/C]

Sideboard:
2 [C]Negate[/C]
2 [C]Essence Scatter[/C]
1 [C]Dissipate[/C]
2 [C]Detention Sphere[/C]
1 [C]Oblivion Ring[/C]
1 [C]Jace, Memory Adept[/C]
2 [C]Nevermore[/C]
2 [C]Purify the Grave[/C]
2 [C]Sundering Growth[/C]

My local meta doesn't have anyone playing anything with Geist so I don't have any of those in the sb but I expect them to make it back in at some point.  I'm happy with the main deck at the moment but the 'board is still in flux.  It's the best 15 I've had so far but I can still see a few changes before I'm done.
I recently switched from Grixis to Murica' control because Grixis just got too annoying to keep alive w/o slagstorm and whipflare.

So heres the deck:

Creatures: 4
1 Angel of Serenity
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

Spells: 27
1 Elixir of Immortality
3 Detention Sphere
3 Dissipate
2 Izzet Charm
3 Searing Spear (For annoying thragtusks)
2 Sphinx's Revelation
3 Think Twice
3 Terminus
3 Entreat the Angels
3 Supreme Verdict
1 Devil's Play

Planeswalkers: 5
1 Chandra the Firebrand
2 Jace, Architect of Though
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Lands: 24
2 Clifftop Retreat
1 Desolate Lighthouse
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
2 Mountain
2 Plains
3 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls

Sideboard: 15
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Essence Scatter
2 Negate
3 Purify the Grave
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Supreme Verdict

I kind of want to fit in...
Another land and a 3rd sphinx's revelation...

Could I also use snappies effectively?
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
It feels like the bant lists as of late have been getting inbread with the MD elixirs and the drown yard splashes with the sole intent being to dominate the mirror matches. The big problem with this strategy is that the top tables are not clogged with control decks where these cards shine. In my opinion it is past time to shift more toward fighting agro and more specifically zombies (still calling it zombies because it has the same number of zombies as it alwayse has). This means 4x azorius charm md, maybe some number of feeling of dread  in the 75 and a couple of terminus md with a possible third sb. It is obvious from the past few weeks of big tournament results that the control mirror is not what we need to be focusing on but this seems to be lost on the pros.
It feels like the bant lists as of late have been getting inbread with the MD elixirs and the drown yard splashes with the sole intent being to dominate the mirror matches. The big problem with this strategy is that the top tables are not clogged with control decks where these cards shine. In my opinion it is past time to shift more toward fighting agro and more specifically zombies (still calling it zombies because it has the same number of zombies as it alwayse has). This means 4x azorius charm md, maybe some number of feeling of dread  in the 75 and a couple of terminus md with a possible third sb. It is obvious from the past few weeks of big tournament results that the control mirror is not what we need to be focusing on but this seems to be lost on the pros.

The pros reasoning for this could be that they know the better players in the room will be on something similar and are more worried about beating another control mirror than aggro. Mirror matches with control in this format can go an entire match round and never make it off game 1. 
 I agree with what you said though with fighting aggro as it has became the enemy no doubt. Just run about 4-6 sweeps, some charms and some Centaur Healer, Thragtusk and Restoration Angel. This is all it takes for me to typically ruin aggro's day.  
Blue White CONTROL
this is why healers, angels (restore and serenity) and tusk are all clutch  in fighting beat down decks.  bant can beat naya and stuff, but it needs the board control and domination of some creatures along with sweepers.  drownyard is still probably the best win con against any deck other than like rakdos.

feeling of dread is a bad card, it's a trap.  good aggro players know how to play around this thing.  you need things that actual affect the board. 

Photobucket

drownyard helps reanimator decks if they are built right.
drownyard helps reanimator decks if they are built right.

Reanimator is on the downturn at the moment anyways. Not to mention that Rest in Peace is a pretty common SB card.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
RiP can be played around in game 2 where you expect an opponent to play it. Misthollow griffin (the one that can be cast from exile) makes RiP more fun to play around with. Also with the rise or RB decks i havent seen anyone run RiP in their side board recently.
for anyone on UW/r "flash" decks, the hot new tech is an oldie from early INN block

manor gargoyle

seems sick with supreme verdict against creature decks.  plus, it can't be selesnya charmed or ultimate priced even when it uses it's ability. 

Photobucket

Took Bant Control to FNM this week instead of Jund. Turned out to be a good decision on my part to go back to what I know. This list I played was the Reid Duke list that won SCG LA Invitational last weekend. The deck is pretty solid. 
Here is a small FNM report

Round 1 vs UWR/b control. (1-0-1) 
Game 1 was all about a whole lot of nothing. It was draw go, draw go til he found a Jace, Architect of thought, after which I resolved a Sphinx's Revelation for a modest number. The Jace did absolutely nothing to affect the game except I made him use all his counterspells by time of the end game. I had double drownyards even after I had faced down a resolved Tamiyo, whom I killed with a flashed in Thragtusk.
The end of this game came when he went to activate his elixir of immortality to shuffle his entire GY back in to his library before his draw step because he had nothing to draw. In response to him activating Elixir I flashed in Rest in Peace that I had held practically all game. It was a total blowout. An adrenaline rush as well knowing that if he counters my rest in peace this late into the game I just lose. Fortunately I made him use all 4 counterflux in the earlier stages of the game. 
 Game 2. Nothing happened again. We end up going to time. Dispel is good.

Round 2 vs a more aggressive Bant control. (1-1-1)
Game 1 I get drownyard online as early as turn 4 and start milling him everyturn. Land go, land go. He tries to resolve a Armada wurm. I dissipate , he syncopates and I dissipate again. Eventually I find the 2nd drownyard and he scoops knowing he can't race me now. 

Game 2 I lose quickly. He tries to play pithing needle naming Nephalia Drownyard. I dissipate. He then just drops Armada Wurm and now I am on a two turn clock. This misplay was unfortunate. I was trying to keep my wincon safe and instead he drops one of his. The part that stings the most is that needle wasnt going to last long as the following turn I drew my Detention Sphere. 

Game 3. We go to time. He resolves Armada wurm. He goes to attack the following turn and I flash in a Supreme Verdict. He resolves another Wurm and the following turn it was deja vu like the previous combat step. After which rounds are called and neither of us can win at this point. 

Round 3 vs UWR control (2-1) 
Game 1 I control harder than he could deal with and get 2 Drownyards up and going. I did flash in a Detention Sphere on an Angel of Serenity while triggers were on the stack though. Two Augur of Bolas almost got me the game but he Verdicts them away. By this time though I am hitting him where it hurts. His Library. 
 Game 2 he resolved an unforseen sands of delirium and promptly races my drownyard. 

Game 3 I wait for the Sands to be attempted. I dissipate it. Play land go a while and eventually he makes a play mistake I forced him into and I resolve a Jace, memory adept and rest in peace. Knowing he can't come back from this position he scoops. 

Round 4 vs GW aggro (2-1) 

Game 1 he plays Wild Beast Masters and rancors and increasing savagery and I die. 
Games 2 and 3 were just entirely lopsided I wrath countless board positions and Azorius charm a Huge Wolfir Silverheart that is about to kill me. Eventually I clear his board and he can't recover. I kill him with a Blinked Thragtusk (thank you Restoration Angel) , its token, and a Restoration Angel. 

I ended up in 3rd with the deck and will likely continue to play it as it feels ridiculously powerful. I didn't once feel like I wasn't in control last night. Even when losing that game 1 against GW aggro. 
 If your meta has alot of control I highly recommend giving Duke's list a go. It decimates the other control decks. Except Esper with 4 drownyards...that would be hard to race. 

Underperforming card of the night? 
amass the components. It was good when it was good late game but most the time I rarely seen it. I thought about cutting it to the board for the control matchups and moving the 4th azorius charm or a 2nd terminus to the main to help the aggro matchups a bit more. 

Blue White CONTROL
If you are playing a UWx control deck, manor gargoyle seems like your best answer to cavern of souls+archwing dragon.
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
If you are playing a UWx control deck, manor gargoyle seems like your best answer to cavern of souls+archwing dragon.

wait, what?  no it doesn't

Photobucket

If your surviving late and playing the Bant Control just flash Supreme Verdict. Early game your going to have to use Azorium Charm and Thragtusk to delay. Don't forget about the classic their turn Terminus from Think Twice. The Bant list is bomb in that it can stall for the Drownyard win even against fast aggro. I am currently having fun with Esper Control using Lingering Souls and Sorin, Lord of Innistrad for the win.

2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage 
3 Jace, Aritecht of Thought

4 Lingering Souls
3 Terminus
2 Supreme Verdict
3 Think Twice
4 Azorius Charm
3 Ultimate Price
4 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Detention Sphere
2 Dissipate

4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Nephalia Drownyard
2 Island
2 Swamp
1 Plains 

Sideboard is up in air for me but I know it will include at least one more Supreme Verdict and Terminus for those fast aggro decks. I am planning some Negates and probably one surprise Dispel. Since I am not using any Jace, Memory Adept in the main I will be looking to add one if not two of him. After that I am not sure what I want to do. I'll most likely use some Rest in Peace just in case I run into a reanimator deck or a control deck relying on flashback via the spell itself and/or Snapcaster Mages.
Want to get an opinion on the Orzhov mechanic in regards to the future of Esper Control. Currently it's all about the Planeswalkers but when I played it around RTR Launch, it was still somewhat creature based.
Gatecrash Spoiler

Extort (on preferably a better creature than this) with Drogskol Reaver. As long as you have the 1 mana, you keep a full hand.

I just thought it was interesting though. Opinions? 
What is the public opinion on Elixir of Immortality vs Rest in Peace in the Bant Control lists? I like RIP for the mill and you never get your cards back. But I tested Elixir today and it felt like it was extremely hard to lose. 
 RIP allowed me to win the control matches but didn't do enough vs aggro. It didn't even save me vs an Angel of Serenity from Naya midrange. 
Elixir did save me and it allowed me to freely play Sphinx's Revelation among other cards knowing I would get them back. Recycling wraths against some decks is also very vital.

I am having a hard time deciding which one to use. I was hoping to get some insight about both strategies and which one each of you prefer.

I was recently asked what my list was currently so here it is...

It's a mix of my extremely sucessful list on page 1 that I just seemed to dominate my local meta with, and a bit of Reid Duke's build as well.
The RIP started in the list because I tried the Reid Duke list card for card last week but RIP proved too good not to have in my LGS meta. I tried Elixir this week and it never did anything for me in any matchup. I ended up siding it out most games and bringing in RIP and just ruin control matchups with it. 

Augur whiffing far too much or sending valuable answers to the bottom like Detention sphere/Thragtusk/RIP and I just had enough of needing an answer for a resolved Garruk, Primal Hunter and knowing that the answer is on the bottom of the library. So Augur got cut, while he was great against aggro I decided that another Supreme Verdict and a 3rd Detention Sphere are far better than Augur of Bolas. 

I went to a 2-1-1 record with the deck(with Augur in it)at FNM this week. I was also losing heavily too Naya Midrange but with the changes I have made I went 3-1 in testing games against it last night. So it seems the game dramatically changes for the better when Augur of Bolas isn't in the list. 
My original list (again from page 1) didn't use Augur and I did really well against all matches with it early in the season so I decided to give the Augur-less list a shot again with some changes(planeswalkers are bad, thanks Thundermaw Hellkite). So far I like the changes.

So there it is and my explanation for some of the changes. Let me know what you guys think of it.  
Blue White CONTROL
i can't help but thing something like divination would be better than think twices because of the maindeck RIP.  i just hate that antisynergy

Photobucket

i can't help but thing something like divination would be better than think twices because of the maindeck RIP.  i just hate that antisynergy

The thing about the antisynergy between RIP and Think Twice is though they conflict with one another,it really isn't a problem given that RIP is a one of. There are games where I just hold RIP. The only time I play RIP is when I need to play it. 
The fact that TT is instant speed draw a card is why it is best for the deck.  

But I do understand your point and why you would want divination or something without Flashback. 
Blue White CONTROL
mainly, think twice is still probably better since it gives the deck another much needed turn 2 play.  the instant speed aspect isn't super relevant, since the deck isn't really a counterspell deck.

Photobucket

Split the finals tonight in a win a box tournament. Went 6-0-1 with this list. 

Sideboard
[deck]
3 duress
1 appetite for brains
3 rest in peace
1 dispel
2 negate
1 psychic spiral
1 jace, memory adept
1 pithing needle
2 tragic slip
[/deck]  
Blue White CONTROL
How is the rando Entreat the Angels treating you? How often does it net you a free win versus being something you can't cast or forces you to tapout?
How is the rando Entreat the Angels treating you? How often does it net you a free win versus being something you can't cast or forces you to tapout?

It saved me against a R/b deck in top 8 when I miracled it for 3. Despite that I cut it, Jace, AoT, and Tamiyo for Augur of bolas because they just do a better job against the early onslaught of creatures and they dig up my wraths and removal. 
Blue White CONTROL
Here's the update to the Esper list I've been playing lately.

As I get 3 more Godless Shrines they'll replace basics, and a 3rd Drownyard or Glacial for the Wilds depending on how the meta turns out.

Before Gatecrash I was playing +1 Ultimate Price, +2 Sorin, +2 Syncopate, +1 Verdict in place of the new stuff.  RDW/RB has been a close matchup, but I think I've been the favorite after board unless I stumble with ETB tapped lands.  The new mana base should help with that, but Skullcrack could turn out to be an issue.  GW Aggro has been a little harder, since it's harder to make them overcommit into sweepers and Rancor is a pain.  Rhox helps, but a lot of their dudes can kill it.  The deck I've been having a lot of trouble with is Golgari with Predator Ooze and regenerators and random fat dudes.  They have the same ability to not overextend while also neutering Supreme Verdict.  I think Eviction will help with that, and Obzedat will help me close out the game quicker once I clear out their stuff.
There's only one other major control player where I play, and I haven't been matched against him in a while, so I can't really say for sure how that matchup is.  He's better at control than me, so I'm guessing it wouldn't end up well.

I haven't updated the sideboard yet.  Here's what I have

[deck]3 Feeling of Dread
2 Rhox Faithmender
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Appetite for Brains
4 Midnight Haunting
4 Intangible Virtue[/deck]

This was with +2 Sorin, so I could take out board wipes and counters against control to transform into a token deck.  Now that Obzedat replaced Sorin I think I'll have to change it up.  I know I want to try out Blind Obedience and Soul Ransom, but I haven't worked out a build yet.

I've done very little testing so far, but from what I've played so far I like it a lot better than before.
Here's the update to the Esper list I've been playing lately.

As I get 3 more Godless Shrines they'll replace basics, and a 3rd Drownyard or Glacial for the Wilds depending on how the meta turns out.

Before Gatecrash I was playing +1 Ultimate Price, +2 Sorin, +2 Syncopate, +1 Verdict in place of the new stuff.  RDW/RB has been a close matchup, but I think I've been the favorite after board unless I stumble with ETB tapped lands.  The new mana base should help with that, but Skullcrack could turn out to be an issue.  GW Aggro has been a little harder, since it's harder to make them overcommit into sweepers and Rancor is a pain.  Rhox helps, but a lot of their dudes can kill it.  The deck I've been having a lot of trouble with is Golgari with Predator Ooze and regenerators and random fat dudes.  They have the same ability to not overextend while also neutering Supreme Verdict.  I think Eviction will help with that, and Obzedat will help me close out the game quicker once I clear out their stuff.
There's only one other major control player where I play, and I haven't been matched against him in a while, so I can't really say for sure how that matchup is.  He's better at control than me, so I'm guessing it wouldn't end up well.

I haven't updated the sideboard yet.  Here's what I have

[deck]3 Feeling of Dread
2 Rhox Faithmender
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Appetite for Brains
4 Midnight Haunting
4 Intangible Virtue[/deck]

This was with +2 Sorin, so I could take out board wipes and counters against control to transform into a token deck.  Now that Obzedat replaced Sorin I think I'll have to change it up.  I know I want to try out Blind Obedience and Soul Ransom, but I haven't worked out a build yet.

I've done very little testing so far, but from what I've played so far I like it a lot better than before.

I am not a fan of merciless eviction, not when planar cleansing is clearly better. Even then Supreme Verdict and Terminus are miles ahead of both of those. 

I am still not a big fan of planeswalkers in this format unless it is a game ending machine like jace memory adept

Here is the list I am trying at the moment
[deck]
2 augur of bolas
2 snapcaster mage

4 hallowed fountain
4 glacial fortress
4 drowned catacomb
3 isolated chapel
2 godless shrine
1 watery grave
3 nephalia drownyard
3 island
2 plains  

1 blind obedience
2 detention sphere
4 azorius charm
3 devour flesh
2 ultimate price
1 dramatic rescue
2 dissipate
4 supreme verdict
3 terminus
3 sphinx's revelation
4 think twice
[/deck]

Blue White CONTROL

I am not a fan of merciless eviction, not when planar cleansing is clearly better. Even then Supreme Verdict and Terminus are miles ahead of both of those.

It's not clearly better, the exile on Eviction makes a big difference in a lot of situations (reanimator, Undying, morbid triggers, etc).  And it replaced one Verdict because it can hit non-creatures if that's what I need.

Since my last list I've gone -1 Dissipate +1 Blind Obedience, and -1 Sphinx's Revelation for +1 Drogskol Reaver to see how he works.  He fills the same role as Revelation while also being a win condition.

Here's the new sideboard I'm working with.

Silverchase is a brand new untested addition.  Rancor decks are still giving me a lot of trouble, and he can answer it while also being a chump blocker.  And he can be an early threat against control or kill Detention Spheres.