Hurricane Ramifications

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
We couldn't run Session 1 of this season because the hurricane knocked out the hobby shop. Not that the players would necessarily have been able to show up, due to hurricane-related problems of their own. But I'm not sure how to deal with this as the DM.

Normal seasons, I'd have been able to combine two sessions into one, no problem. This season, the sessions are far more intricate, and all characters level between sessions. Any recommendations from the community?

------------------------------------
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator
NJ D&D Adventurers League
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Not happy with the look of the new forums? Check out the Skin Your Forums thread for a solution.

Resources: D&D Next: VALOREIGN Home Game Development, Kalani's Homebrew and Original Content | General Campaign Stuff: Bawylie's Budget Dungeons

TiaNadiezja wrote:
I am in the same situation, having had to cancel the first week. Personally, I am just going to go week by week and see how it flows for my players, and I will run the last session during next seasons Session 0 if it comes to that.

However, I think it is possible to run the first three sessions over 2 weeks. I would cut down on the initial RPing of Session 1, just having the PCs get asked by someone in Quaervarr to follow the ghost toward the Methegrist Ruins. Play the rest as normal, but try to get through the orc invasion of Winter Edge and the trip north in Week 1. In Week 2, deal with the orcs and then have the PCs go to Mithral Hall. Instead of having the PCs find a way in, have them learn of a way in from an orc informant (whichever part you want to run), which keeps everything moving forward.

I've found the most time-consuming parts of multi-path adventures is the debate between players over which way to go. That debate, and what comes from it, is great if you have lots of time. If you are trying to run a game quickly and smoothly, those choice points can be the most time consuming part.

And I hope all of those NY/NJ/CT folks are recovering from the devastation.
I'd have them play sessions 1 and 2 at level 2. Session 1 has very little combat, and can be completed entirely without combat if the players opt for that strategy. Session 2 is also combat-light, but my players in the combat encounter did need the extra +2 to hit from being second level.

Edit to add: And I'd run both 1 and 2 this week. You can do it if you plan for a longish session (2 to 2 1/2 hours), and speed up some of the dungeon exploration in session 1.
As above, 1 and 2 are pretty easily combined.  I wish we had done it week 0, because between players trick-or-treating and chaperoning trck-or-treaters we took a pretty big hit on attendance.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Sign In to post comments