[CONTEST] - You make the Planeswalker - (join at any time!)

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay here is how this works! Every week I will give the criteria for you guys to design a planeswalker card!!

The rules are simple, I will post the mana cost, and you fill in the rest! I will record the winners on the front page!

I will comment and rate your card on a 1/10 scale. Simple as that.

I want this to be as freeform as possible! Creativity is great, but I dont want to force you to be creative! I Like "simple" cards too, like baneslayer angel. If thats how you want to make your planeswalker then by all means.

WINNERS!
Tinkerermcmuffin: 1
DaytimeLantern: 1
Koridian: 1

CURRENT CRITERIA: :R::R:

:W::W:

Okay you guys fill in the rest! It can be a character from magics storyline, or something completely new! Rating will not be effected in this way, so have fun!!

I will be back next sunday to rate the cards, declare a winner, and post the next criteria!!

[spoiler My Music][/spoiler]
So, the card's balance is 77% of the score?

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

This Grading System has changed!
I dunno, it seems like an awful lot rests on power level, and not much on innovation, good design, flavor and all that other insignificant stuff.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I dunno, it seems like an awful lot rests on power level, and not much on innovation, good design, flavor and all that other insignificant stuff.

the man has a point

Shouldn't "balance" and "strength" be more or less the same rating?
Okay, it's not like I'm ever going to like any grading rubric, ever. But power seems to have a bit of a strong emphasis. I find it a bit curious to have an underpowered/overpowered scale. Meaning that, I should technically always score at least 10 in one of them.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Bah! The lot of ya haven't got a in your mana pool!

*recklessly and haphazardly designs a planeswalker, using only a one-handed falchion to type with*

Saint Azrael - 2WW
Planeswalker - Azrael
[+3]: Destroy target creature unless its controller pays .
[-2]: Destroy each creature unless its controller pays .
[-8]: Exile all creature cards from all graveyards. For each creature card exiled this way, put a token that's a copy of it onto the battlefield under your control.
{2}

*smashes monitor with said falchion, then strikes submit*
Decided to scratch the grading system and changed it to a simple 1/10 method with a comment. Didn't seem to popular and I think it was hindering people from entering.
Only one entry? Well I guess we have a winneR!

But really, you guys have 24 hours to enter or I guess I will close it. Thought it was a cool idea, guess not!
Lin Sivvi, the Reclaimer

Tribal Planeswalker-Lin Sivvi Rebel
+1: Target Rebel gains vigilance until end of turn.
-1: Put target Rebel card from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.
-4: You gain an emblem with "Activated abilities of Rebel cards you control cost less to play."
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Is "tribal planeswalker" a thing, though? They didn't do it with Nissa.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

There's no reason it couldn't be.  The only thing "Tribal" does is add the creature subtype, which is very distinguishable from the Planeswalker subtype since the Planeswalker subtype is almost always also the name of the card.

Besides, Nissa was from Zendakir.  The only tribal cards from the entire block were from the Eldrazi.  That doesn't mean other tribal cards in the block were impossible.  It just means that stylistic consistency told developers not to use Tribal except in that case.
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
And that was the last block that had tribal.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
So?
Show
144902215 wrote:
Gideon, Elite Warrior
Planeswalker - Gideon
[+2] Put a 2/1 white Human Soldier creature token named Elite Vanguard onto the battlefield.
[-2]  Exile target creature you control and up to one target creature you don't control.  Return each of those creatures to the battlefield at the beginning of their controllers' next end steps.
[-6]  Put X 6/6 white Human Soldier creature tokens named Gideon's Elite onto the battlefield, where X is the number of loyalty counters on Gideon, Elite Warrior minus 6.
{4}
EDIT: I should really read the thread first, right? Ignore.

Show

Tibalt, Master of Pain

Planeswalker - Tibalt
+1: Tibalt, Master of Pain deals 3 damage to target opponent. Activate this ability only if an opponent lost life this turn.
-2: Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control attacks, you may choose to have it deal damage equal to its power to a target creature. If you do, it assigns no combat damage this turn.
-6: Each creature 
you don't control deals damage equal to its power to its controler.
[3]
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Baltimore, Pontif of Orzhova

Planeswalker - Baltimore
+1: Until your next turn, creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless that creatures controller pays 1 for each attacking creature.
-3: Target nonland permanent's controller pays its converted mana cost. If that player doesn't, he or she sacrifices it.
-6: Target opponent gains an emblem with "Creatures you control are 1/1 spirits." 
Starting Loyalty: 4 
Okay round ending in one hour!
Okay round ending in one hour!

are you grading these?
would really like this thread to keep going
getting very into planeswalker designs right now

Funny things from MaRo:

tenspeedgames asked: Would you ever make a tribal Planeswalker card?

Yes, we’ll call her Nissa and put her in Zendikar. : )

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Funny things from MaRo:

You know damned well I meant tribal and not tribal.
139359831 wrote:

Funny things from MaRo:

You know damned well I meant tribal and not tribal.

Yeah, but it was still funny.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Thanks for the support guys!

Yes of course I am grading! I got caught up in a video game marathon with my cousin. Grading today sorry about the delay :D

[spoiler EpicLevelCommoner]
Saint Azrael - 2WW
Planeswalker - Azrael
[+3]: Destroy target creature unless its controller pays .
[-2]: Destroy each creature unless its controller pays .
[-8]: Exile all creature cards from all graveyards. For each creature card exiled this way, put a token that's a copy of it onto the battlefield under your control.
{2}

Interesting idea, even though white has some older stuff like Breath of Life, I feel renamition is more colorshifted to black. His ultimate feels almost identical to Liliana Vess. There seems to be too much loyalty gain from his first ability. Also his second ability could replace your board sweeper slot.

I am going this a 4/10, Please come back next context![/spoiler]

[spoiler Cisnero]
Lin Sivvi, the Reclaimer
[2] [White] [White]
-4: You gain an emblem with "Activated abilities of Rebel cards you control cost [2] less to play."

Rebels aren't a very supported tribe, and those two minor abilities feel weak. Thanks for the entry, come back next time!
3/10  [/spoiler]

[spoiler Koridian]
Gideon, Elite Warrior [2] [White] [White]
Planeswalker - Gideon
[+2] Put a 2/1 white Human Soldier creature token named Elite Vanguard onto the battlefield.
[-2]  Exile target creature you control and up to one target creature you don't control.  Return each of those creatures to the battlefield at the beginning of their controllers' next end steps.
[-6]  Put X 6/6 white Human Soldier creature tokens named Gideon's Elite onto the battlefield, where X is the number of loyalty counters on Gideon, Elite Warrior minus 6.
{4}

Interesting spin on Gideon. His -2 ability reminds me of vensure. Its good to situationally get another ETB effect, or hose someone else's defender//auras//counters, or do both at the same time. His ultimate might be hitting the board to quickly, but maybe not. You can get a 6/6 by the first time you untap this guy, 6/6 and a 2/1 may be too good for [2][W][W].

I am liking the +2 and the -6, but not a fan of the -2. Be sure to enter next time!
7/10
[/spoiler]

[spoiler 3-7-15-1-292]
Tibalt, Master of Pain  [Red] [Red] [Red]
Planeswalker - Tibalt
+1: Tibalt, Master of Pain deals 3 damage to target opponent. Activate this ability only if an opponent lost life this turn.
-2: Until end of turn, whenever a creature you control attacks, you may choose to have it deal damage equal to its power to a target creature. If you do, it assigns no combat damage this turn.
-6: Each creature you don't control deals damage equal to its power to its controler.
[3]

Woops, honest mistake! I really love the walker, but unfortunatly it does not fit the critieria! Be sure to enter next week! [/spoiler]

[spoiler Tinkerermcmuffin]

Baltimore, Pontif of Orzhova
[2] [White] [White]
Planeswalker - Baltimore
+1: Until your next turn, creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless that creatures controller pays 1 for each attacking creature.
-3: Target nonland permanent's controller pays its converted mana cost. If that player doesn't, he or she sacrifices it.
-6: Target opponent gains an emblem with "Creatures you control are 1/1 spirits."
Starting Loyalty: 4  

I am really liking this guy. The abilities all seem useful and balanced, while being in color. I could see that ultimate being white, even though its gotten similar cards in blue.

His +1 protects himself, especially against allot of weak creatures, and his -3 could take out anything without hexproof if you time it correctly. His -6 is pretty powerful and I think he would find a home in a control deck somewhere.

8/10
[/spoiler]

Congrats Tinkerermcmuffin on the first win of the contest!! Thank you all for entering and I hope to see you next time!
_________________________________________________________________________________
Okay the next criteria is: :U::U:! I will grade this in 3 days, so be back this friday!!!
Korra, Daughter of the Glen
Planeswalker - Korra
[+1] Until your next turn, whenever a creature deals combat damage to you or Korra, Daughter of the Glen, you may draw a card.
[-2] You get an emblem with "You have no maximum hand size."
[-7] Put a 1/1 blue Faerie creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each card in your hand.  Then, you may draw a card for each Faerie you control.
{4}

-- is tough...
--i don't like Tamiyo at all, and there are way too many Jaces as is
--so... going to have to go with a new character... ugh
   --- Korra is Oona, Queen of the Fae's daughter
   --- she was born in Glen Elendra
   --- obviously, she's a Faerie
   --- she was born when Lorwyn was in wax and Shadowmoor was in wane, so her blue side is much stronger than her black side (which is basically non-existant (but could come out with some black twinge during a later set))
   --- she goes with standard blue concepts of lock down, card draw, and flying
[spoiler Cisnero]
Lin Sivvi, the Reclaimer
[2] [White] [White]
-4: You gain an emblem with "Activated abilities of Rebel cards you control cost [2] less to play."

Rebels aren't a very supported tribe, and those two minor abilities feel weak. Thanks for the entry, come back next time!
3/10  [/spoiler]

Were you away during Mercadian Masque block, when rebels pretty much dominated standard tournaments?  Honestly, the only tribes that have more support than Rebels are Goblins and Slivers.  I mean... I don't mean to be rude, but... we're not talking about a Kithkin themed card here...

Besides... even if a card is supporting an underappreciated subtype... is that really a bad thing?

As for the first two abilities, they're supposed to synergize with the core Rebel theme.  The +1 ability seems weak, until you realize it means you don't have to pick between attacking with a Rebel and using a search Rebel ability.
The second ability was a heralding back to the original Lin Sivvi.  In a Rebel deck, the ability to put cards from graveyard into library means the player is given more options when they search.

I mean...
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sarina, Warlock of Windmist

Planeswalker - Sarina
+0: Each player reveals the top card of his or her library. Put one of the revealed cards into its owner's hand. If you do, put X loyalty counters on Sarina, where X is that cards converted mana cost.
-5: Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
-10:Target player reveals his or her hand. You may play a card revealed this way without pang its mana cost.
-15: you gain an emblem with: "Counter the first spell cast by each opponent each turn."
Starting Loyalty: 3

Samael, Delver of Secrets -

Planeswalker - Samael

+1 - Put a 1/1 Blue Human Wizard token onto the battlefield.
-1 - Target creature becomes a 3/2 creature with Flying and is a Human Insect. It loses all other abilities.
-6 - You get an emblem with 'Creatures you control get +X/+0 and gain first strike, where X is the number of Instants and Sorceries in your graveyard.'

{3}
Arcanis, The All-Seeing

Planeswalker-Arcanis
+1: Draw a card.
-1: Look at the top 5 cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
-7: You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, draw two cards.  You have no maximum hand size."
Show
144902215 wrote:
Ka-me, Turtle Caller 

Planeswalker- Ka-me

+1}Put a 1/3 blue turtle creature with defender on the battlefield.

-4}Exile all opponents creatures until your end step. They become 0/2 turtles until end of turn. Exile them.

-9}All non-turtle creatures are exiled. Exile Ka-me, Turtle Caller. Exile all non-island lands. Put a legendary 6/7 blue turtle token that says "Ka-me, True Form" onto the battlefield. 

[3]

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Ka-me, Turtle Caller 

Planeswalker- Ka-me

-4}Exile all opponents creatures until your end step. They become 0/2 turtles until end of turn. Exile them.

-9}All non-turtle creatures are exiled. Exile Ka-me, Turtle Caller. Exile all non-island lands. Put a legendary 6/7 blue turtle token that says "Ka-me, True Form" onto the battlefield. 

Whaaaa?
Sintos the Prescient    
Planeswalker - Sintos
+1:  Until your next turn, whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks Sintos, return that creature to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.
-X:  Look at the top X cards of your library and put them back in any order. 
-7:  you gain an emblem with "Play with the top card of your library revealed" and "You may cast the top card of your library as long as it's an instant or sorcery spell."
{3} 

Ka-me, Turtle Caller 

Planeswalker- Ka-me

-4}Exile all opponents creatures until your end step. They become 0/2 turtles until end of turn. Exile them at the end of the turn.

[3]

I am Blue/Green

Planeswalker - Queen Cobra

+1) until the your next turn target creature becomes the creature type of your choice, target creature becomes a color of your choice, and target land becomes a basic land of your choice

-1) sacrifice a permanent: reveal cards from the top of your libray until you reveal a permanent of the same card type sacrificed. Put that card into play and shuffle the rest of the revealed cards into your library

-2) permanently change the text of taget catd by replaceing one creature, color or land type with another

{3}

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

Lestat the Musical: I want more
Hzat Sha, Actuary of Tears
Planeswalker - Hzat Sha
+1: Search your library for an Island, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
-2: Each player draws a card, then each opponent discards two cards.
-6: You gain an emblem with "Landfall - Whenever a land comes into play under your control you may return target nonland permanent to it's owner's hand, then you draw two cards, then target opponent puts the top three cards of their library into their graveyard."
{4}

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Tael Kuren, Conspirator
Planeswalker - Tael  (M)
[+2]: Each player draws a card then discards a card.
[+0]: Counter the next spell an opponent would cast unless he or she pays .
[-7]: You gain an emblem with "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, you may cast an instant or sorcery spell in his or her graveyard without paying it's mana cost."
[2]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11662651/Graphics/Magic%20Cards/Random/Raruk%20of%20the%20Cunning%20Army.jpg)

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Mentock, The Mind Taker :U:
Planeswalker - Mentock
[+1]: Return target creature without summoning sickness to its owners hand.
[-3]: Gain control of any creature you dont control of an opponents choice.
[-13]: Gain control of all creatures and planeswalkers target opponent controls.
{4}
Winning games/contests http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter
Sweet entries! Gona close this round and grade some time tonight!
Can somone make me a low mana cost planeswalker for this thread that is like a loard for other walkers, for example making them cheeper or helping with loyally or there effects.
Going to grade later today sorry.