Githyanki Mind Crush.We had a discussion on this 3 weeks ago. I thought it worth checking.The wording on the power is "The character can only make basic melee attacks." One version of the argument was that any power that lets you make a basic melee a

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Githyanki Mind Crush.
We had a discussion on this 3 weeks ago. I thought it worth checking.

The wording on the power is "The character can only make basic melee attacks." One version of the argument was that any power that lets you make a basic melee as part of it was OK (over-ruled by the DM). And what about Fighter Challenge, Opportunity attacks, etc. Another argument was "You can only make a basic melee attack on your turn. No move actions, no minor actions, no dialog, you are nearly stunned."

Is there an official ruling or clarification on this anywhere?
It would help to post the complete text of the rules element in question.

Mind Crush (standard, recharge ) Psychic

burst 2 within 20; +23 vs Will; 1d10 damage, and ongoing 5 psychic damage (save ends). Aftereffect: The target gains vulnerable 10 psychic and can make only basic attacks (save ends).

I would rule that the characters attacks can only be basic attacks (and things which can be used as basic attacks). To have basic attacks be the only action allowed on the turn seems way to powerful (Dazed plus). For most characters, this is crippling anyway. Granted, the Essentials classes mitigate this penalty by a lot, but this adventure was written (and the monster created) a year and half before those classes were published. 

All it says is that the target is restricted to making basic attacks - it does nothing to change the number or type of actions they can take in a turn, or when they are allowed to make basic attacks.
Anything that can be used as or counts as a basic attack can still be used as a basic attack. Oppoortunity attacks and Combat Challenge are unaffected.
For some classes this part of the effect is nearly irrelevant as they almost only ever make basic attacks anyway.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

It appears the intent of Mind Crush is to have the target be able to use only Attack Powers that are Basic Attacks (save end). Opportunity Attack is an Attack Power that is not a Basic Attack and so it would not be usable while under the effect of Mind Crush.
Given that Mind Crush was written prior to OpAtt becoming a power? That's doubtful to say the least, though by RAW, now that it is a power, and they even specify that "using it is usually referred to as making an opportunity attack." it's pretty clear that you wouldn't be able to. Combat Challenge is fine though.

"Counts as" vs "In Place of" is delving into Specific vs General
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Agreed. Combat Challenge would still usable because its not an Attack Power despite what the DDi Compendium/Character Builder says, its a Class Feature.
Another argument was "You can only make a basic melee attack on your turn. No move actions, no minor actions, no dialog, you are nearly stunned."

This might be arguable if the wording was "can only make basic attacks." But it's "can make only basic attacks." Seems like a small distinction, but the "only" applies to attacks you can make, not things you can do.
Sign In to post comments