New stat method generation

I want to share my character generation method who i use for the playtest, in the hope some1 else could find it useful.
It solves,imo,one of the problems of rolled stats,namely the disparity in power level between characters.
it's based on the crossing of a gaussian probability distribution with a constant one.

I usually dont permit to my players to arrange the stats,but if u want to do so,more power to you!
Also i dont advice to use it with the usual 4d6 ,discard the worst die method..it could lead to godling characters.

Those are stats i have rolled with 3d6,no arranging ,for a simulated party of 4 players. Please notice the totals,and the difference in points between the highest total and the other players.

stat

Player 1

Player2

Player 3

Player 4

Str (1)

Dex (2)

Con(3)

Int(4)

Wis(5)

Cha(6)

Total

difference

Now you roll a d6 for each point of difference you have with the highest total set,and increase the related stat by one point (i.e player1 roll a d6,obtaining 1,so his strenght increase by 1). you can roll multiple dice at the same time btw to save time,you just have to record his position.

And those are the results!No stat is allowed to be raised over 18 with this method, as in the case of "X" into the player1 intelligence,you just reroll the die until you obtain another result.

stat

Player 1

Player2

Player 3

Player 4

Str

10* (11)

16** (18)

Dex

14* (15)

8*(9)

12****(16)

Con

10* (11)

13*(14)

10* (11)

Int

17*X (18)

14**(16)

Wis

6**(8)

8*** (11)

Cha

12**(14)

13*** (16)

11**(13)

Total

difference

E voilà. Now you have a perfectly balanced party with interesting stats,and no trace of the "sameness" of point buy system ,and no complaining by the players for power disparity
It also lead to interesting characters imo ( i.e i have a str 20 int 17 magic-user warrior in my last playtesting) and to easier DM'ing with rolled stats.

DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
Couldn't this whole system be approximated by 75d6?
I just let my players start with each ability at 10 and give them 14 points to spend and allow them to remove points from an ability to get more. I've been doing this since packet 1 and generally get chars that look like, for example a fighter with Str: 18, Con: 14, Dex: 14, Int: 8, Wis: 10, Cha: 10. Though one of my players once tried an 20/18/18/6/6/6 build lol but I wouldn't allow him to go quite so extreme. He still ended up with a pretty top heavy setup but he's a good RPer so that particular game was interesting with our gigantic fighter with a brain the size of a pea, blind in one eye and a face like the back side of a frying pan. Was fun.
Couldn't this whole system be approximated by 75d6?

No it couldn't because 75d6 would have a linear distribution instead of a bell one.
the idea is to have a variable stat generation (the 3d6) increased by a linear one, so each stat would have the same probability to be increased.
Also,75 is no magic number at all..count only the highest total,so all the other player will have the same total,and they are balanced between them. The latter is the whole point of the system.
That's actually quite elegant.

I might suggest, to reduce the rolling a bit, that you add the "difference-compensation" points in twos instead of ones (except when it would result in over 18, of course).  Or simply add them in sixes one to each score, and only roll for the remainder.

Or, if a DM wanted to give his players a little more control over their abilities, he could let them assign half of the difference-compensation points as they choose, and roll for the other half.
Or, if a DM wanted to give his players a little more control over their abilities, he could let them assign half of the difference-compensation points as they choose, and roll for the other half.

Or just "here's 63, go nuts."

I already use something like this, except that after the initial roll, I use point-buy values* and make everyone normalize to the total prescribed in the point-buy system.

*I do extend the point-buy table downward so that values less than 8 are possible.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.
That's actually quite elegant.

I might suggest, to reduce the rolling a bit, that you add the "difference-compensation" points in twos instead of ones (except when it would result in over 18, of course).  Or simply add them in sixes one to each score, and only roll for the remainder.

That's a really good idea,i 'll try it!