Removal decks

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm fairly new (last 6 months or so), but was wondering where is the strategy in a removal deck?  I played a guy online the other night and it went 20 turns and he put out 2 creatures the whole time, otherwise removed everything I put out.  Just wondering what is the point in that?  I ended up beating him in the end.  It came down to he started with 7 cards and drew 20 before it was over and played a few land, 2 creatures and all removal besides that.  Just confused.  Maybe it's that I'm new.  I mean I have removal but jeez.  Makes for a very boring game.
Maybe he was missing piece of a combo.  Maybe his Shrieking Afflictions were at the bottom of his deck or something.  I've top 8'ed an FNM with a mostly removal deck.  The strategy is that decks are very creature heavy right now.  Take away their creatures, take the game.     
Online you're going to face some good players and some bad players. Some people will be playing bad decks because they're testing them to see the capabilities of the deck.

As nopemx6 said part of it comes down to luck of the draw. Maybe he only had 10 removal spells and 20 land but that was all he could manage to draw that game.

there is a very famous decklist which only had two creatures (2 serra angel) to win the game. The rest of their spells were to prevent the opponent from doing anything. Sometimes these types of decks are very good but if they are not properly executed then they will be very bad.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Playing removal against aggro decks is effective because the removal trades for any of their creatures (and sometimes multiple) and then your larger threats just outclass their game.
Playing removal against aggro decks is effective because the removal trades for any of their creatures (and sometimes multiple) and then your larger threats just outclass their game.

I would summarize the removal you need as follows:

Anti-aggro: It needs to be cantrips or target multiple things or kill them all. Creatures that kill something when they enter the battlefield work well too. Black Sun's Zenith is really good.

Anti-control: Ideally, anti-control removal will itself be uncounterable. Aggro will usually beat control, simply because it plays more threats. You can also use things like Dismember that hurt you. Remember, they don't play many threats.

Anti-combo: Combo decks in general are weak against everything. They depend on you not having an answer. You can use discard, counters, removal, even milling. Even better if you have ways to exile things. The key card here is Lobotomy and friends.

Anti-midrange: Doom Blade, Murder, Go for the Throat. Sideboard some sweepers for Thrun, the Last Troll and the like. You can also use stuff like Ambush Viper for these.

Anti-aggro-control: Very similar to control, but the threats tend to be smaller. You need to Doom Blade their Delver or whatever.

Anti-aggro-combo: The trick with this is to use instant-speed removal. You can take several cards at once. If I cast Assault Strobe on my Blighted Agent, and then cast Titanic Growth on the same guy, you can three-for-one me (for free) with a Gut Shot at this point.

Anti-control-combo: Like all combo decks, these tend to be vulnerable to everything, but they have counterspells to back them up. Look for "cannot be countered".

In short, removal is always good, except "silver bullet" removal, which has no place in a serious deck.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt