Monowhite Vs Legacy Reanimator help!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
First off I'd like to introduce myself, I'm new here and apologize if this topic is posted in the wrong area, but this seemed most appropriate.

Now the topic I need help with is my monowhite Knight themed deck VS a friends Reanimator deck, specifically when dealing with Iona coming out so early.  If I'm lucky I draw a Tormod's Crypt in the opening draw, but other than that I usually get completely destroyed.  Any ideas?

Also, I use Path to Exile in my deck, would I be able to Path to Exile his Iona before she can resolve and choose "white" as the uncastable color?  I've not been able to find anything definitive anywhere else.  

Thank you! 
First off I'd like to introduce myself, I'm new here and apologize if this topic is posted in the wrong area, but this seemed most appropriate.

Now the topic I need help with is my monowhite Knight themed deck VS a friends Reanimator deck, specifically when dealing with Iona coming out so early.  If I'm lucky I draw a Tormod's Crypt in the opening draw, but other than that I usually get completely destroyed.  Any ideas?

Also, I use Path to Exile in my deck, would I be able to Path to Exile his Iona before she can resolve and choose "white" as the uncastable color?  I've not been able to find anything definitive anywhere else.  

Thank you!

You could probably use Brittle Effigy against Iona, Shield of Emeria in your mono-white deck.  Helvault is another idea.

How to autocard [card]Path to Exile[/card] = Path to Exile
Iona, Shield of Emeria

Once your opponent's Iona, Shield of Emeria has been cast and it resolves, it enters the battlefield and your opponent chooses a colour.  You can not cast Path to Exile once your opponent has chosen while.  Iona, Shield of Emeria is either not on the battlefield, or it is on the battlefield and the color is chosen.  There is no other option.

Rules Q&A would gain you the fastest response to a rules question.

Now the topic I need help with is my monowhite Knight themed deck VS a friends Reanimator deck, specifically when dealing with Iona coming out so early.  If I'm lucky I draw a Tormod's Crypt in the opening draw, but other than that I usually get completely destroyed.  Any ideas?

Also, I use Path to Exile in my deck, would I be able to Path to Exile his Iona before she can resolve and choose "white" as the uncastable color?  I've not been able to find anything definitive anywhere else.  

Thank you!

You could probably use Brittle Effigy against Iona, Shield of Emeria in your mono-white deck.  Helvault is another idea.

How to autocard [card]Path to Exile[/card] = Path to Exile
Iona, Shield of Emeria

Once your opponent's Iona, Shield of Emeria has been cast and it resolves, it enters the battlefield and your opponent chooses a colour.  You can not cast Path to Exile once your opponent has chosen while.  Iona, Shield of Emeria is either not on the battlefield, or it is on the battlefield and the color is chosen.  There is no other option.

Rules Q&A would gain you the fastest response to a rules question.

Much thanks!
Tormod's Crypt helps a lot.

Wait, monoanything in Legacy?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
If you just want to beat this guy, then you could possibly go with Mycosynth Lattice to circumvent his Iona.

Alternatively you could use Grimoire of the dead to try and beat him at his own game.
Tormod's Crypt helps a lot.

Wait, monoanything in Legacy?

LOL.
It's not that strange to see mono-coloured decks.
I have a friend with a mono-W Soldier deck that routinely gets top16's.

I'd suggest Rest in Peace, Relic of Progenitus as well as Tormod's as options.
You potentially have Enlightened Tutor to find them.
Good Luck.    
Even though it isn't white, Faerie Macabre can be used in non-black decks as a means to get rid of troublesome cards in graveyards. And your opponent will not see it coming, so you can make him waste his reanimation spell.

Beckon Apparition may also be an option.
It just strikes me as strange, since most Legacy decks are blue-heavy. Or they use blue and black answers with white creatures. Or they do engine breaking. Or something like that.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Ahh great ideas, those should really help.

And I've considered making my deck multicolored, but it really works very well with the cards that are in it now.  I guess I could consider trying to make it standard, but I'm not sure how well it would function.

Again thanks for the ideas everyone. 
Burn/Goblins, Death & Taxes and High Tide are all mono-colored Legacy decks. I don't think D&T is all that popular anymore, but there should be some Mono X colored Stax decks out there too I think. Or Pox.

Going with the assumption that his deck is reasonably fast-paced, I'm not entirely sure what your best options are.

I managed to find this one, which is fairly recent. You can look at that for inspiration. Jotun Grunt seems to fit what you need rather well.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Magic the Drinking Game rules
here are the rules for MtDG: 1.at the beginning of each players turn that player takes a drink. 2.whenever a permanent you control is placed in a graveyard from play, drink. 3. whenever a spell you play is countered, drink. if the countered spells caster attempts to counter the counter, the loser of the counter battle must drink for a number of seconds for each counterspell that went on the stack. 4. whenever a player "loses life" that player must drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life lost. (a) if a player would gain life, that player may make another player drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life gained. 5. if a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to the number of cards placed in graveyard. 6.if a player would discard a card that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to cards discarded. 7. on any coinflip the loser must drink. 8. at the end of each game all players must finish their drink. 9. loser must fetch all drinks/refills for the next game. if playing multiplayer use a**hole heirarchy(president,vp,secretary,treasurer,a**hole) 10. a player who wins 3 consecutive matches may add a "world effect" that affects all players and can not be removed without winning 3 consecutive matches and negating effect. multiple effects stack i.e if person wins 3 games then wins another 3 games both effects that player created stack. 11. ALL cards are legal, including ante cards.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
1x emrakul, the aeons torn
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
1x kozilek, butcher of truth
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
1x ulamog, the infinite gyre
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

Thanks again for all the help.  What I ended up doing was using Tormod's Crypt and purify the grave  which resulted in me winning every single game, as well as my friend's severe irritation.  So, mission accomplished!
isochron scepter + orim's chant/ silence

edit: swords to plowshares, path to exile as well

Wow that's an awesome combo.  I may try to come up with a way to work that in, as I do have isochron scepter and path to exile already.  Would actually work awesome with Purify the Grave
Parallax Wave, with a way to sac it.
Better yet, for Parallax Wave, Opalescence. Just

exile a dude
in response, exile another dude
in response, exile the Wave

If you do this, the Wave will come back, then the four dudes get exiled. They don't come back.
139359831 wrote:
Sign In to post comments