weird rare #4234253: arachnohydra

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Arachnohydra |
Creature - Spider Hydra
: Put a +1/+1 counter on Arachnohydra
As long as Arachnohydra has two or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has reach. If it has four or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has trample. 
"First it grows the head. Then the body, then the legs. Then the other heads." - Gurk's Sunwood Survival Guide
0/2 

The basic synergy that Witch-Maw Nephilim has, it's very strong and versatile compared with similar cards like Giant Spider.. Edit: As long as nobody has posted in your other thread, there's a button over the first post in your thread and there's a button in the forum right next to your thread!
before commenting on design:

you can delete a thread before people reply to it
on the main YMTC page, in the right-most column there should be an edit/delete option available to you as the original poster

EDIT = as to design.. i'd rather it be a 0/1 when it enters -- the extra toughness seems like such a small diference, but it does add a lot of extra value to this card -- i think would be more balanced if you didn't still have a reasonable 2 toughness blocker even before you start pumping counters onto it
To get this to become the common Giant Spider you need to spend a total of . You can do it in installments, to be fair, but this is also a rare; while it shouldn't necessarily be "better" than Giant Spider, it should probably push the curve to a reasonable degree.

to get a single +1/+1 counter is a far cry different, I think, from just casting spells to get 2 +1/+1 counters.

(also thanks, Koridan) 
before commenting on design:

you can delete a thread before people reply to it
on the main YMTC page, in the right-most column there should be an edit/delete option available to you as the original poster

EDIT = as to design.. i'd rather it be a 0/1 when it enters -- the extra toughness seems like such a small diference, but it does add a lot of extra value to this card -- i think would be more balanced if you didn't still have a reasonable 2 toughness blocker even before you start pumping counters onto it

I haven't completed the rares for the set yet, so the sort of fine-tune playtesting that would be needed to assess whether or not it should be 0/1 or 0/2 has yet to be done, but when I do I'll consider shifting it to 0/1 if being able to eat a 1 power creature pushes it just into being broken. The original reasoning for having it as a 0/2 was so that it could match up wit Giant Spider with two counters on it, which is kind of a nice throwback.
The basic synergy that Witch-Maw Nephilim has, it's very strong and versatile compared with similar cards like Giant Spider.. Edit: As long as nobody has posted in your other thread, there's a button over the first post in your thread and there's a button in the forum right next to your thread!

Yeah, but Giant Spider is seriously bad.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
It could be simpler as a 1/1 what with the counters.

Seems as if it should at least cost if not .

edit: Actually forget this.
It could be simpler as a 1/1 what with the counters.

Seems as if it should at least cost if not .

At 0/2 I'm comfortable with it being a 1-drop, which is exactly where I want it to be: the flavor is of a hydra that basically starts out as just a pod, then sort of assumes spider shape, then becomes something monstrous and hydra-ish.

At or this would be a junk rare, and unless it proves to be heinously broken in testing (I doubt it), I want this one to be at least worthwhile.
Having had a look at it again, I agree, sorry about that post.