11/5/2012 MM: "Kids Play, Part 1"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I like reading about this stuff. It's not very Magic-y, but knowing more intimately someone with so much influence over this game is pretty valuable for people interested in Magic. The "we were off to the races" bit was cringe-worthy though...

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
To be honest, when I saw the article on the front page I thought: "Aw, not another 'how x is like y' article." These articles are so prevalent it seems almost a cop-out at this point.

Then I actually read the article and found it a great, great read. I enjoyed every paragraph and am looking forward to the second part.

I still think it's a bit of a cop-out but to be honest, as long as your cop-outs keep being awesome I don't really mind.
Sometimes ultrasound techs have a weird sense of humor.  I love that she slow-rolled you on the number of kids.
Congratulations, Rosewater. You have managed to make me cry once again. Cut that out.
I still think it's a bit of a cop-out but to be honest, as long as your cop-outs keep being awesome I don't really mind.

This, basically. The connections between parenting and Magic design seem tenuous, but the article is well-written and entertaining, so it's fine with me. Obviously, don't do articles like this every other week or something, but once in a while (which is what you seem to do now) is nice.
There is one thing I am curious about, and I'd really like Mark Rosewater to answer that, although I am not sure if he ever answers posts on the message boards (by what he always says, we're anyway quite sure he does read them ^__^); a disclaimer first, though: don't get me wrong, I like this kind of articles and this one in particular, and there's nothing wrong with it for me; just curious.

If you think about it, a lot of people read what Maro writes and, although in the niche-world of Magic only, we can say that he is a celebrity and that he knows that (he even wrote an article about it some time ago): so, basically, if Mark writes about someone's private life, he's disclosing that to a vaste public that follows him.
Now, what I wonder is: are we sure people like, for instance, Rachel Rosewater are ok with that? Are they ok with having their intimate life, funny moments and tragic events included, acted out in a weekly column? Knowing how much Maro is caring towards his family, I am sure he asked Rachel if she was ok starring one of his columns before going on and writing it, but I would like to get assured that this happened, and, anyway, I'd like to know how the Rosewater's family cope with being the wife/daughter/son of a celebrity and thus having from time to time their own life opened to a large audience.
"Really?" I thought, "They're just letting me take her? That's it? How do they know I'm qualified to be a parent?"

I love this. I had the exact same thought 14 months ago when I walked out of the hospital with my wife and 2-hour-old daughter! That shouldn't be allowed.   
There is one thing I am curious about, and I'd really like Mark Rosewater to answer that, although I am not sure if he ever answers posts on the message boards (by what he always says, we're anyway quite sure he does read them ^__^); a disclaimer first, though: don't get me wrong, I like this kind of articles and this one in particular, and there's nothing wrong with it for me; just curious.

If you think about it, a lot of people read what Maro writes and, although in the niche-world of Magic only, we can say that he is a celebrity and that he knows that (he even wrote an article about it some time ago): so, basically, if Mark writes about someone's private life, he's disclosing that to a vaste public that follows him.
Now, what I wonder is: are we sure people like, for instance, Rachel Rosewater are ok with that? Are they ok with having their intimate life, funny moments and tragic events included, acted out in a weekly column? Knowing how much Maro is caring towards his family, I am sure he asked Rachel if she was ok starring one of his columns before going on and writing it, but I would like to get assured that this happened, and, anyway, I'd like to know how the Rosewater's family cope with being the wife/daughter/son of a celebrity and thus having from time to time their own life opened to a large audience.

I had the same thought regarding permission when I read this article. I cringed a bit when I saw personal information shared on a public page.

There is one thing I am curious about, and I'd really like Mark Rosewater to answer that, although I am not sure if he ever answers posts on the message boards (by what he always says, we're anyway quite sure he does read them ^__^);

If you really want to contact Mark about this, try his Blogatog.

[<o>]