budget G/B trying to make it mid range (tight budget)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
just want to see if i can make this legacy....i have a very tight budget so i can't exactly spend more then $30 on cards....any ideas are greatly appreciated 

Creaturesx26
Slitherheadx4
Arbor Elfx4
Lotleth Trollx2
Dreg Manglerx4
Corpsejack Menacex4
Primordial Hydrax2
Disciple of Bolasx4
Champion of Lambholtx2

Spellsx13
Tragic Slipx4
Rancorx4
Killing Wavex3
Increasing Savageryx2

Landsx21
Forestx9
Swampx12
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Short answer:  No.

Long answer:  Absoultely, positively not.

Ok seriously, it it absolutely terrible, even for Standard.  The only card in your entire list that could possibly be played in Legacy *might* be Lotleth Troll, as there is a G/B/R Zombies deck Sam Black has been building that might want it.  That's not even considering that G/B is pretty unpowered in Legacy as a whole.

Frankly, if you want to play Legacy, either just play with proxies with your friends or save up about another $100 and build Burn.
wow......that was patheticly short-lived......
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.

a buddy of mine has dredge cards i can try to get off of him....i think he has almost all of the drege that was printed any suggestions?
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

Dredge is fine too.  I didn't mention it because LEDs (which you NEED for a good Dredge deck) are like $65+ each, and there are other critical parts of the deck that aren't exactly budget.  Plus, Rest in Peace is starting to become the graveyard hate card of choice, and Dredge literally cannot beat that card.

Basically, start saving up and look at the decks I like to call "My First Legacy Decks":  Burn, Dredge, Elves and Goblins.  All of them are fairly cheap (for Legacy), and are typically the decks experienced Legacy players hand out to friends trying to get into the format.  They need a lot of luck to win tournaments, but aren't terrible decks on their own.
thank you, ironicly i like dredge and im currently looking at decklists now to see if i can get a rough idea on how to play it.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

this is a list im looking at for fun
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

Seems fine, but not highly competitive.  You really want to eventually add 4x LED and Faithless Looting eventually if you want it to be competitive.

Griselbrand is a better main deck Dread Return target than the Sphinx.

Firestorm is really bad in the board.  You really don't need more discard outlets.  I'd definintely change that to 4x Nature's Claim.

Ancestor's Choosen is also unecessary.  I'd make that the 3rd Chain of Vapor or 4th Leyline of the board.
Here you go.

4 Dryad Arbor

4 Golgari Grave-Troll
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Golgari Thug
3 Shambling Shell

4 Phantasmagorian
4 Street Wraith
4 Contagion

4 Ichorid
4 Nether Shadow
4 Narcomoeba

4 Bridge from Below
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Dread Return
3 Griselbrand
2 Flayer of the Hatebound

SB: 4 Reverent Silence
SB: 4 Nature's Claim
SB: 2 Verdant Catacombs
SB: 1 Forest
SB: 4 Sickening Shoal

This is literally the best game one deck in legacy. No joke. It's also the cheapest verison of Dredge. You always choose to draw, which the the strange thing about it. Even if you lose the roll, you still win until they figure out what's up for games two and three and put you on the play. Your plan is to draw and use your cleanup step to discard a dredger or Phantasmagorian. From there, it's simply getting free creatures in play and stripping your opponent's hand with Therapy before casting Dread Return on Griselbrand, and eventually, Flayer. Dryad Arbor helps facilitate the combo by being a creature, as well as a Forest for Reverent Silence in the sideboard. You need multiple answers to Leyline of the Void because this deck is stone cold to it.
uh HOW in the heck do i cast anything i only count 4 land and those are Dryad Arbor....... im clueless
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

awesome
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black

The only spells you cast are flashback Dread Return, flashback Cabal Therapy, and Contagion by pitching a black card. Then in the sideboard, you can cast Reverent Silence and Nature's Claim from your 7 lands. Sickening Shoal can also be cast by pitching a black card.

Dryad Arbor is only in there game one to facilitate Dread Return. You do NOT want to mulligan with this deck. Ever! All you need is a Dredger, and your hand is good to go. Ideally, you want to be on the draw every game to use your cleanup step to discard the dredger or Phantasmagorian. Then you start dredging to hit Ichorid, Narcomoeba, and Nether Shadow. Those creatures, plus a possible surprise Dryad Arbor from your hand will be enough to get three creatures for DR's flashback. You never, ever play Dryad Arbor from your hand until the turn you're going to cast DR or Silence. 

Game two, you can bring in the Sickening Shoal if they play hatebears, like Gaddock Teeg, Deathrite Shaman, Scavenging Ooze, etc. If you absolutely know 100% that they play Leyline of the Void, then you have to bring in the other eleven cards from the board, removing the Contagion, a trimming cards here and there.

Game three, you bring in 4 Reverent Silence, 4 Nature's Claim, and three lands if you see Leyline of the Void game two. 

It's a deck the runs on auto-pilot, but wins a lot.
Manaless Dredge is an awesome deck once you learn all the interactions - I run almost this exact same deck aswell.
We simply murder most tempo/permission decks because of the lack of ways to stop us doing our thing.
This deck is very threat dense, so extraction effects don't hold any fear for you either.
Phantasmagorian seems like win-more for lategame, but it's very useful on turn1 when you discard it, and instantly take it back to drop three in the yard. It helps to get around Deathrite Shaman, Scavenging ooze etc. 

Be very careful in mulliganning.  Every time you mulligan, you're effectively giving your opponent a Temporal Manipulation.
This deck relies on not needing to mulligan - ever - so make sure you don't cut any dredger's either.
(~94% chance of having a dredger in your intial 7, with 15 dredgers in the deck.)

The sideboard above is very good. I run almost the same list, but I find you really don't need all the Shoal's most the time, as there are very few creatures this deck can't just play around.  I run green-fetchlands instead.

I play Gitaxian Probe due to it's synergy with Cabal Therapy & that it accelerate's the deck. 
I've killed on turn 2 because of it, however I drop it to the sideboard for game 2 & 3 for anti-hate, but this is dependant on the matchup.
If I'm playing against blue-combo, I'll typically leave them in.

A cheaper alternative to Griselbrand, is Sphinx of Lost Truths.
There are many potential targets for Dread Return you could use, like Flame-Kim Zealot, Angel of Despair,etc., but the 3-2 split between Draw (grisel) and burn (Flayer) is pretty damn good.  I've tested lots of different combinations, and I keep coming back to this one.
What if you have nothing in play after the DR because you have no Bridges? That's a very common situation.

And I bet you missed this: Flayer comes into play, hits your opponent for 4. You cast another DR (this is why you play four), sac the Flayer as part of the cost, and target GGT. Flayer comes back thanks to Undying, hits your opponent for 5. You get tokens from Bridge. GGT comes in to play, hits your opponent for more than 11. If they somehow survive your direct damage, you still have an amazing board position.

It's the same instant-kill that doesn't risk your Bridges because you aren't attacking with everything. It doesn't get hosed by cards like Ensnaring Bridge or Peacekeeper. It beats all the same decks that FKZ does. 
Try playtesting the deck with 2 Flayer & 3 Grisel if you think Flayer is bad. 
The turn you DR Grisel, is almost always the same turn you hit lethal damage with Flayer without even needing to attack. 

With Flayer in the deck, you have flexibilty.
Flame-Kin Zealot is another good option, no question.
I prefer Flayer.
I consider Flayer a burn spell for 9 damage, with the added benefit that it turns Ichorids into lightning bolts.
If it hangs around for any length of time your opponent is on a very fast clock.
TurboFog is one reason I prefer Flayer over FKZ, not to mention all the Moat-style cards like Propaganda etc., although there are +/-'s  for both strategies.

With either plan, you still have to get past certain problems, like Glacial Chasm for example, but you shouldn't see that very often. 
If you're worried about that (or any other problems), just pack in an Angel of Despair or a cheaper (and less flexible) alternative like Woodfall Primus into the side, if you think it's needed.
Sign In to post comments