Dealing with Lightning EDH

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
EDH is supposed to be casual, with long, drawn out games that take time to get going.

So how the devil can you deal with EDH decks that can, and often do, win within 5 minutes, even if there are 4+ players!?!

RPGtable username : RTiger

Removal is the key to stopping early aggro and counterspells stop early combos.  Or you could point out to someone that they're being a douche, give them a chance to fix it, then quit playing with them if they don't.
Ask them to play another deck.

3DH4LIF3

I need to find another group... but nobody nearby plays EDH. The decks the locals play ranged from broken to blatantly broken. Progenitus, Sen triplets, Arcum Daggson, Sliver overlord....

I can't compete with those, and they don't have any other decks. 

That is really too bad. This format is supposed to be about fun and big swing-y plays. It sounds like they made it 100 card singleton vintage. Thats fine for them, but I bet you can find something more your speed if you try.
Borrow one of theirs?

Sounds like a crappy situation for you. Best I can say is build up as best you can. Look for openings in the meta and try to have fun losing... ?

3DH4LIF3

It is made all the worse that they want to play for prizes... PLUS, they only count points for Killing other players! No points for pulling big plays. I am not going to pay a dime when the odds of me actually winning a game are less then 1%

I have looked around the area. Besides those three, I cant find a single person within 100 miles that plays EDH.

Thats why I compain about some particular cards. It isn't simply cause they are a simple thorn to deal with, it is because those particular cards are nothing short of completely DOMINATING the local group, and I am seriously outclassed playing casual EDH decks against Tournament level VINTAGE EDH decks. They even got some of the Alpha/beta dual lands >> The local group isn't about having fun, its about slaughtering all the other decks in the first five turns with 21/21 unblockable generals, or nuking the board every turn with the forge/lattice/disk combo, or pulling infinate turn combos. It just isn't fun!

Thats why I built the Kaervek deck, but short of pulling Heartless Hidesugu and gratuitous violence, and hoping to hell I don't get countered before Arcum or Prog hits the field, I will never win. Bruna on the other hand, even if we are playing 4 on bruna, using every single trick in the book, tucking, countering, controll, GY hate, Destroy everything, Bruna still wins every freaking game. Sometimes we get lucky and someone manages to Nevermore Bruna, but even with the general out of the way, that deck STILL wins.

Sounds like your deck wants to play Maralen of the Mornsong and Stranglehold.

I'm also very interested to see this Bruna deck...as I've never seen one that's better than any of the other moderately playable u/w legends.
Sounds like your deck wants to play Maralen of the Mornsong and Stranglehold.

I'm also very interested to see this Bruna deck...as I've never seen one that's better than any of the other moderately playable u/w legends.

I agree with Stranglehold. Red has a good couple of cards that can punish those people who are playing with $100 bills tucked in their magic sleeves. Look for things like Ruination in red. It's pretty easy actually to build a hate deck without dropping to much money.  

That is exactly what I did

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

The main goal of that deck is to put down serious pain with relatively cheap cards that will be very effective against more expensive decks.

The combo on that bruna deck is Bruna with Battle mastery, Diplomatic immunity, Spirit mantle, Eldrazi conscription, Celestial mantle. The player tutors all those cards of course. It makes bruna untargetable, unblockable, will kill you with a single attack, and multiplies its owners life total by 4! You essentially play 20+ mana of enchants for free, and your now dealing with a player that has 100+ life! In the offchance that Bruna gets removed, that deck still somehow manages to enchant something like snapcaster mage with Conscription. The other problem is that Bruna is blue, and that one has the entire blue package of counterspells. Getting into a war involving 10+ counterspells/redirects is expected with some of the hot cards. It makes removing bruna that much more difficult. There have been plenty of situations where all the other players at the table have a handful of nothing but counterspells!

Fortunately, the person who plays that deck hasn't been seen the last few weeks, thank god. Every single player in the meta hates that deck, not just me. Worse, he says that deck is his "Fair" deck

I can see why your deck might have a problem with that as you're playing the 2 colors weakest to enchantments. Consider some graveyard hate. And it sounds like the other fellas need to pack more counter magic.

You know, it seems you've calmed down a bit...

Now I'm not saying what they're playing is necessarily fair or the best idea for EDH, however, is it more fair that 3-4 players have to change their deck? Or one player?

I know it's difficult, but make several decks. I'd highly recommend playing a ugw deck that plays just goodstuffs. You can be the "pressure valve" of the group. Play good counterspells, removal, and some decent ETB creatures. Things like Keiga, Tide Star, Acidic Slime, Woodfall Primus. That doesn't mean you have to give up on Kaervek, but it sounds like that group needs a pressure valve deck.
Where do you live?  I live in West Virginia, and can still find 6 stores to play at within 100 miles.   
I know Kaervek needs some GY hate. That deck also plays to the same tune as all the other decks in my current group. It is all about the damage for Kaervek, and playing aggro/burn works in EDH if your targeting the entire field for high damage.

I have a kind deck also, and one I would prefer to play, except it really doesn't kill anyone.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

That one is just silly, and all about making crazy plays and attacking the other players hands and libraries. There are a few options to go infinite or griefer, but in general, hug decks don't win games.

I live in maryland, out in the country

i guess it depends on if you want to win the game or just make an impact in said game.  i make it my goal to impact the game state in some way every game i play.  sometimes this is done by playing certain commanders, other times its by playing certain cards that limit or change the way people play.  my child of alara deck is a pure toolbox deck designed to respond to the current meta enviroment.  i can probably count on one hand the number of wins it has had but winning is not may main goal.   that deck runs cards such as Arbiter of Knollridge, Ichor Rats and a personal favorite; Aven Mindcensor

Shared Fate or even Confusion in the Ranks can force an opponent to play with another persons cards.   these two cards could easily be found in a zedruu deck.  if you can get a hold of one and are in white, run Angel's Grace

a more agressive approach may be to hose their mana.  armageddon has its place in edh, even tho many may not agree.  in blue u can run sunder.  or if they stock pile artifacts, run shatterstorm or Vandalblast.   back to basics will keep many decks in check as there seems to be many who prefer to use perfect mana bases with aid from nonbasic lands.

a more agressive approach may be to hose their mana.  armageddon has its place in edh, even tho many may not agree.  in blue u can run sunder.  or if they stock pile artifacts, run shatterstorm or Vandalblast.   back to basics will keep many decks in check as there seems to be many who prefer to use perfect mana bases with aid from nonbasic lands.

If I'm gonna mess with people's mana, my personal favorite is Hall of Gemstone.  And he already has a green deck.
Build Gaka's Norin deck. Laugh as you become archenemy of the group.
If I am gonna hose their mana, I am going to use Ruination or cycle decree of annihilation. Hall of gemstone however looks like it will be hillarious in my green decks.

Hall of Gemstone almost totally hoses multicolor decks.  I also like Primal Order.  Punish them for all those fancy non-basic lands.  And if you're running non-land mana, Storm Cauldron can be nasty too.  Of course, these are going to make you enemies during the game.
Sounds like you need to take it to their level. Maybe build an LD deck. Cataclysm + Boseiju, Who Shelters All + Land Tax is a good combination of cards Catastrophe Armageddon, Obliterate for the soul purpose of teaching them a lesson? Pretty much you gotta take your decks to their level, talk them into building weaker decks, or don't play with them. And if they're playing for prizes then I don't blame them for picking power decks. It's the logical thing to do.
Or play mono-blue heavy counters. Hinder or Spell Crumple or Gather Specimens or Spelljack Bruna. Make Thada Adel, Acquisitor your general. Island walk on them and exile that Nevinyrral's Disk or steal their Sol Rings. A blue deck with mana is pretty dangerous. Here's a link to mine:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thada-ah-hell-ac...

My Gisela deck covers the white LD idea. I didn't make it hardcore LD, just an alternate but most likely what's going to happen plan of attack because my meta is a bit on the higher end too. My meta has every deck you mentioned and many more.

Hope I'm at least a little bit of help to you.
Sign In to post comments