i need help with a "battle mage" character concept

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
i would like to make a character for a dnd 3.5 game setting and i was wondering what would be good races and possible templates that would help compliment a duskblade/warmage mix.

for the races that i know of i was thinking drow or a regular elf, is there any other races out there that would go well with those two classes? 
Drow would be a terrible idea; the level adjustment is not worth what you get out of it.  First rule of 3e: NEVER give up caster levels.
For that matter, that class combination is terrible, too.  NEVER multiclass spellcasters; you lose so much power it's not even funny, and the Warmage is a joke from the get-go.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
i'll try to take the post TOPIC at face value....

CONCEPTUALLY, the ideal race for a "war mage" would be a human....impulsive, ambitious, and self-destructive all describe humans very well, both in and out of Fantasy. 

Flavoring up your personality, spell choice, etc. can take a little bit of work, but might be very rewarding.  Wild-eyed, insane old man flinging spells at any squirrel that crosses his path?  Calculating and quick-minded spellcaster who balances exactly the right amount of force for a given scenario?Is he easy to get along with and a real value to the party, or is the party his leash and cage, and he is a tool for the rest of the party to set loose upon their foes?

If, on the other hand, you're looking to mechanically min-max your character to roflstomp the encounters your DM might throw at you, then well, maybe some other poster will help you out.  

You should strongly consider elven cleric 20. 

If you have to be arcane, I've gotten decent milage out of Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4 as your pre-prestige starting point. For prestige classes go for stuff that gives +1BAB every level and full casting. 

I used this exact build previously and was able to hold my own in a relatively unoptimized party. My tactics were to buff myself with spells that lasted 8+ hours, and then be a generic melee guy. 

Human Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 4/ Paladin 1/Spellsword 3 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

i would like to make a character for a dnd 3.5 game setting and i was wondering what would be good races and possible templates that would help compliment a duskblade/warmage mix.

for the races that i know of i was thinking drow or a regular elf, is there any other races out there that would go well with those two classes? 

If all you care about is power, Salla has some good advice. Never, ever, ever, ever give up caster levels. Those are your real bread and butter. If you want some kind of caster/warrior hybrid, just go straight duskblade. If all you want is pure straight unadulterated damage, warmage is technically the most powerful damage-dealing arcanist in all of 3.5. That said, nothing but damage is far from an ideal way to do things. You want a variety of effects, damage being only one of those effects. Mainly the reason you want so many effects, is because you want stuff that lets you pick and choose which defensive stat to attack on an enemy, e.g. hold person against the fighter, ranged touch/reflex save against other arcanists, and the like.

If you're going to go duskblade, check a combination of complete warrior and complete arcane for fun ways to make a duskblade really strong. Combining things like rhino's rush and find the gap on a melee swing with a spell in your weapon and a use of the arcane strike feat can generally gib most things of an equivalent CR. If you're dead set on warmagey type play, pick up snowcasting (Frostburn), and energy substitution for your advanced learning. Even better, take a level in archmage and get mastery of elements. You can give any energy type to any spell you want that way. Flaming disintegrates are fun against white dragons when they fail their saves. Run into an evil outsider with an energy type, like some kind of fire jinni? Cold Light of Venya. Understand though, while warmage is fun, and there are lots of ways to optimize it, there are plenty of options that are just plain better than the warmage.
I just go wizard/fighter/prestige ab+caster level myself (Through replace wiz/figt with sorcerer/Pally if really wish). I Just enjoy the utility the basic wizard provides and all in all total attack vs ACs in 3.x were rather broken so never had trouble hitting stuff. But as others said never try being two caster types doing that will just hurt your attacks and you will never see the top end spells.

If all you want is sheer damage just go duskblade (full attack bonus and the best blast spells you can get from PH dmg/disable wise) half orge (huge str bonus with a small hit to your int) with greatsword or whatever weapon tickles your fancy. Will lose two caster levels this way but some dont mind. Otherwise find any race with a + to str or int (both if possible) thought honestly none come to mind that have an la 0.