U/W Enchanted Control

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello!

I tried to create a control deck built around enchantments. Using Oblivion ring, Pacifism, Feeling of Dread and in later stages Martial Law and Sphere of Safety to take care of threats and slow down the opponent.
Ethereal armor and Spectral flight will boost my creatures and hopefully deliver the killing blow. Bonds of Faith can also be used for making our guys bigger or to take care of non-humans.
I put some stuff in the sideboard that hopefully will be relevant against less creature heavy decks. Suggestions on sideboard cards would be nice!?

Right now this is pretty much a budget build and for now I am probably keeping it that way. That's why there is an absence for Detention Sphere and Shocklands.

Anyway, here is the deck. Any suggestions on how to improve it is appreciated!

Okay, I have been looking for some other interesting enchantments that I probably will put in the sideboard.

Stony Silence - Against Artifacts

Curse of Echoes - Against Control and decks with lots of instants/sorcery

Rest in Peace - Against Reanimator decks/Flashback/Snapcaster

And maybe add a couple of Arrest if I think I need more stuff to shut down creatures, but probably not.

Also I am pondering if exchanging Fencing Ace for Lyev Skyknight would be any good. This guy already has evasion and the detain ability is also useful for buying some time. Then I would probably take out Spectral Flight and add 1 Bonds of Faith and 1 Curiosity.

Thoughts on this or the deck in the first post?
You've got card advantage problems if your acting as a control/midrange deck. Your lacking draw, your answers are mostly one for one, and your threats are not threats by themselves (bar bruna), as well as enchantments leaveing you generaly vunerable to being 2 for 1ed. The times when enchantment.dec has been a viable option has been when there have been cards that either draw you cards related to enchantments or put bodies on the field from it, and even then they would have a decent number of credable non-enchantment based threats incase they got hated out.

That being said, depending on your enviroment, it could well work out. If you have all the bits for it already, just make up the deck and go play it. Figure out which cards are most often dead draws when on the back foot and redundent when your winning and sub them out for other stuff. Nothing is a substitite for practice and experience piloting a deck.  
You've got card advantage problems if your acting as a control/midrange deck. Your lacking draw, your answers are mostly one for one, and your threats are not threats by themselves (bar bruna), as well as enchantments leaveing you generaly vunerable to being 2 for 1ed. The times when enchantment.dec has been a viable option has been when there have been cards that either draw you cards related to enchantments or put bodies on the field from it, and even then they would have a decent number of credable non-enchantment based threats incase they got hated out.

That being said, depending on your enviroment, it could well work out. If you have all the bits for it already, just make up the deck and go play it. Figure out which cards are most often dead draws when on the back foot and redundent when your winning and sub them out for other stuff. Nothing is a substitite for practice and experience piloting a deck.  

To draw more cards I guess I could put a couple of Curiosity into the main deck, or maybe Tandem Lookout ? Curiosity seems like the best idea for this, the downside is I also need a creature to make them work, preferbly Invisible Stalker. If that fails what can I use, Think twice?

I think that soon I will have amassed the majority of cards that I need for this deck, so then I can start to try it out.
If you are looking for enchantment control consider adding in green for abundant growth (helps in a 3 color deck, gives you a card draw) and consider adding mana bloom to help you with mana as well (and maybe at that point you can cut back on some lands?)  Casting mana bloom for 1 or 2 may seem like a lot at first but if you tempo the game and you have a few mana blooms on the board, with all of the other enchantments your opponent is going to have a very hard time attacking you.
If you are looking for enchantment control consider adding in green for abundant growth (helps in a 3 color deck, gives you a card draw) and consider adding mana bloom to help you with mana as well (and maybe at that point you can cut back on some lands?)  Casting mana bloom for 1 or 2 may seem like a lot at first but if you tempo the game and you have a few mana blooms on the board, with all of the other enchantments your opponent is going to have a very hard time attacking you.

That's an interesting thought, I'll keep that in mind. Green also opens up for Rancor and that's not bad I guess...
There is nor reason to not maindeck the 2 nevermore when there are such predictable targets in standard (unburial rites, thragtusk, huntmaster etc) and you are running ethereal armor. A Parselene can take you apart so if they are sideboarding it you have to be concious of that for your nevermore as well.
Just a few cards to consider:

Judge's Familiar
Captain of the Mists
Geist of Saint Taft
Riders of Gavony

Curiosity
Ghostly Touch
Detention Sphere
Tricks of the Trade

Thanks for the suggestions. Not really sure what the thought is behind some of them, like the Riders and the Captain?

The ones I like out of that bunch are Curiosity and Detention Sphere. Right now I think I'll try out with 3 copies of Curiosity to generate som card gain. Detention Sphere seems like an excellent fit for this deck but for starters I am keeping it a budget deck, if I like how it plays I'll surely have to get som Spheres though.
So that is also why Geist is not in the deck. And I don't know if the deck really "needs" him.

Tricks of the Trade seems okay I guess, but its mana cost is too high I think. I think I would use Spectral flight instead if I need to get more evasion stuff.

There is nor reason to not maindeck the 2 nevermore when there are such predictable targets in standard (unburial rites, thragtusk, huntmaster etc) and you are running ethereal armor. A Parselene can take you apart so if they are sideboarding it you have to be concious of that for your nevermore as well.

Fair point about Nevermore, might have to make room for that...

And I'll try to remember Paraselene.

Honestly an awesome combo would be Spectral Flight and Geist of Saint Traft as you could essentially swing with 2 4/4 with flying by turn 4.

Captain of the Mists is there to give you another control option, if you wanted to be able to tap things down a bunch, but its not a great card, just seemed in tune with the theme of the deck. 
Sphinx's Revelation
Dungeon Geists
Fiend Hunter

I also actually include 4 copies of Trained Caracal in the deck as well. Works well with 4 Ethereal Armor, Spectral Flight, and Silverblade Paladin

I've been finding that I wasn't consistantly drawing the low end creatures I needed before adding a few more. I feel generally this concept has been playing better as a tempo deck in a sense that low end is creature and above 2 cmc is control. Judge's Familiar and Lyev Skyknight are two creatures to consider as well. 
I feel Dungeon Geists is generally just better than Captain of the Mists in this deck. Also, a small number of Curiosity is considerable as well.