What triggers Demon's Horn ability?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
For the artifact Demon's Horn, whose ability reads: "whenever a player casts a black spell, you may gain 1 life", what makes me gain a life besides a creature, enchantment, sorcery or instant coming into the battelfield?

If a sorcery already on the battelfield gives me lifes or regenerate my creatures, is that considered a spell every time this happens? 

Also, when Xathrid Gorgon puts a petrification counter on a creature, is that considered a spell?

Thanks. 
A spell is a card, or a copy of a card, on the stack.  Nothing else.  Casting a spell involves taking a card from your hand, paying its casting cost and meeting any other requirements (such as targets, if applicable), and putting it on the stack.

There is no such thing as a sorcery or instant on the battlefield; once they resolve, they go to the graveyard.  In any case, using the ability of a card already on the battlefield is not a spell, it is an ability.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Right, I meant an enchantment on the batterfield giving me lives, like Sanguine Bond.

Thank you for the answer, Salla. 
Any black spell that's being cast by any player will trigger the Demon's Horn. Anything black entering the battlefield does not. Also, sorceries and Instants cannot enter the battlefield.

A spell is a card on the stack or a copy of a spell, though usually, a copy of a spell is not cast and won't trigger the Horn. Activated abilities, like the Gorgon's are not spells.

Examples on what triggers the Horn:
Casting Murder
Casting Dreadbore
Casting Rakdos Shred-Freak, even if using only red mana to do so
Casting Festering Goblin
Casting Liliana's Caress
Casting Sorin Markov

Examples on what does not trigger the Horn
Festering Goblin entering the battlefield
Activating Korozda Guildmage's abilities
Liliana's Caress entering the battlefield

So in essence, any black card (a card with a black mana symbol in its mana cost) you or another player puts on the stack by going through the steps of casting a spell as described in the rules, no matter what is being paid or not paid for it.
Thank you for the reply Rezzahan. I do understand better but you lost me with the examples of what doesn't trigger Demon's Horn...

Why Festering Goblin & Liliana's Caress entering the battlefield don't? Don't I have to cast them in order to make them enter the battelfield? Wouldn't that be a black spell?
Thank you for the reply Rezzahan. I do understand better but you lost me with the examples of what doesn't trigger Demon's Horn...

Why Festering Goblin & Liliana's Caress entering the battlefield don't? Don't I have to cast them in order to make them enter the battelfield? Wouldn't that be a black spell?

It's the casting of them that triggers it, not them entering the battlefield. Thus even if they're countered, you cast it. But if you trick them onto the battlefield, with say a card that moves it from the graveyard to the battlefield, you don't gain life.
Got it. Thank you.

So entering the batterfield from my hand would trigger it (since I would be casting them) but entering the batterfield from the graveyard or other place that's not my hand wouldn't (since that wouldn't be considered casting a spell).
Entering the battlefield doesn't trigger it; casting it does. That may sound like hair-splitting, but those are different events that happen at different times, and it is entirely possible to have either one without the other. (Most obviously, Instants and Sorceries trigger Demon's Horn just fine, though they never enter the battlefield.)

It is also occasionally possible to cast things that are not in your hand. For example, spells cast via Flashback would trigger artifacts like Demon's Horn. It doesn't matter what zone it's from, it matters whether it was cast.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
So entering the batterfield from my hand would trigger it (since I would be casting them) but entering the batterfield from the graveyard or other place that's not my hand wouldn't (since that wouldn't be considered casting a spell).

it doesn't matter where they come from, it matters that you cast them

for example if you use Quicksilver Amulet to get a Liliana's Shade onto the battlefield it will not trigger Demon's Horn
proud member of the 2011 community team
I understand, nothing to do with entering the battelfield, I guess my question should have been what's considered casting a spell?

Besides taking a card from your hand to the stack and using flashback, is there anything else considered casting?
you can cast cards from basically any zone
graveyard, exile, library

what's important is the word "cast" (or "play" in some cases)

for example unearth is not casting it, even though it is very similar to "flashback" it lacks the word "cast"
proud member of the 2011 community team
Casting a spell is when you take a card you can cast (usually from your hand) and pay its costs. It goes to a zone called the Stack, where other players can counter it or respond to it before it does anything. The action of putting it into that zone and paying its costs is "casting."

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

601.2. To cast a spell is to take it from where it is (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect. Casting a spell follows the steps listed below, in order. If, at any point during the casting of a spell, a player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the casting of the spell is illegal; the game returns to the moment before that spell started to be cast (see rule 717, “Handling Illegal Actions”). Announcements and payments can’t be altered after they’ve been made.

What you're missing is that when you cast a spell it doesn't go straight from whereever it is (usually your hand) straight to the battlefield (for permanent cards) or to the graveyard (for instants and sorceries).

Half way between there's a zone called the stack, when you cast Festering Goblin from your hand, it first goes to the stack where your opponent can Essence Scatter or Cancel it, if they don't, it resolves and then goes to the field.

The action of moving it to the field doesn't trigger Horn, it's the action of putting it on the stack that does.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments