Barack Obama in d20 Modern

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

Overview:

Barack Hussein Obama II (born August 4, 1961) is the 44th and current President of the United States. He is the first African American to hold the office.

Strength, Dexterity and Constitution

An avid basketball fan, Barack Obama has been described by the Washington Post. as having "good court sense and an ability to slash to the basket, but was an unreliable outside shooter and not much of a jumper, contradicting the stereotype of “black” ball."

Tucker Max once wrote; "He's a solid basketball player, one of the best professors who played with us. He's not great, but he isn't just out there for show. He can play a little."

"But I didn't fear him at all, not as a defender or an offensive player. I knew I could check him. I knew he couldn't stop me. I couldn't leave him as a defender and roam the perimeter for steals, but if I stayed close to him, I would shut him down without much problem, and that was true for most of the undergrads who were good."

"I do remember that he had a good understanding of the game. He knew when to backdoor cut, how to pick and roll, when to take his man away so you could drive, how to block out for rebounds, etc. And he would hit open jumpshots if left alone. He was not some doofus out there trying to get exercise. He understood the basics of basketball very well, which is better than most people who play pick-up. Just this knowledge of the game made him fun to play with."

"But the thing is, even though he knew the basics and could execute them, his performance wasn't anything beyond that. He didn't have what basketball players call 'old man game.' Old guys who have that know every trick, use every advantage, and kill your youth and quickness with their guile and strength. That wasn't Barack. He would beat you if given space, but if you played even half decent defense on him, you could take him out of the game."

"He played point guard a lot, but I don't remember him as a dominant court leader, controlling the flow of the game. I cannot ever remember him being anything other than a solid player, someone who understood the game well and did most of the right things, but never did much of anything to stand out. I can't think of a game winning shot he hit, or a game he just took over, or anything like that. Then again, I can't think of him blowing a game either, or making some horrible mistake. He was just a very good role player to have on your team."

"Weirdest thing about him -- I always thought he would be better than he was. I mean, here was this guy, in good shape, relatively young (mid 30s at the time, I think) clearly likes and knows the game, and is black (so there's the quasi-racist assumption that he's good at basketball)... but he was never that great. Even after I knew the limits of his game, I always half-expected one day he would just decide to turn it on and light everyone up, but it never happened. He had everything that you'd think would make him great, and he definitely looked the part, but he never really turned that look into serious production in an actual game. I saw so many people pick him first, and then get burned because he didn't play up to that pick. He was a great third option for your team though, like a Ron Harper to Jordan and Pippen."

"He never called BS ticky-tack fouls. But he also didn't let you hack him. He was fair. He never really complained about anything -- like when other people called borderline fouls for instance -- unless it was an obvious wrong call, then he would say something. But only like a reproachful father. Not an arguer at all, and he was always nice, even when he was correcting you. He never made you feel bad about yourself or anything like that. He was always a very nice, sincere guy, to everyone."

"I guess the thing that sticks out most about him is that he was always an adult. If there was some conflict on the court, over a foul called or ball out of bounds or something like that, he was always a voice of calm and reason. He was an adult before he was a basketball player. He never got wrapped up in the outcome of the game, like some people who play as if its life or death. He tried hard, but never crossed the competitiveness line, he was always under control. I can't ever remember him rattled, like some of the other professors would get."

We'll say an above average Strength, Dexterity and Constitution of 12

Intelligence:

Barack Obama's IQ is a matter of contention. Obama's IQ has been estimated anywhere from 110-165. He is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he served as editor, and later as president of the Harvard Law Review; which is an extremely prestigious position. Obama also taught at the University of Chicago for 12 years, a top-ranked university in the United States. However, these achievement-based estimates fail to account for the possibility that Obama was a beneficiary of affirmative action, which based on collegiate averages would lower his estimated IQ to the 115-120 range. [However, it should be noted that other than partisan claims, there is NO reliable evidence Obama was an affirmative action student, nor is there objective proof that his academic honors had anything to do with affirmative action.]

Obama attended an elite private school in Honolulu as a scholarship student. Since all of the graduates from that school at that time took collegiate aptitude tests and he was not a National Merit Scholar, Semifinalist, or Outstanding Participant, his maximum possible score on the SAT was 1230, which is the 96.9 percentile. That would translate to a maximum possible IQ of 129. It should be noted, however, that one of the requirements for the National Merit Scholarship is taking the Preliminary SAT test. If Obama did not take the PSAT, he could very well have scored above 1230 on the SAT without being a National Merit Scholar

Many cite the president's oratorical skills, but he often rambles when he speaks without a teleprompter. That's because his brain "is moving so fast that the mouth can't keep up," wrote Meghan Daum of the Los Angeles Times.

Although Obama's individual SAT scores have been withheld from the public, it probably doesn't exceed 1230, because Obama's private school in Honolulu required collegiate aptitude tests for entrance, and Obama's scores were insufficient to make him a National Merit Scholar, an Semifinalist, or an Outstanding Participant.

Obama was not a National Merit Scholar, a National Merit Semifinalist or an Outstanding Participant. This indicates a ceiling on his SAT percentile at 96.9, which indicates a maximum possible SAT score of 1230 and maximum IQ of 129.

We'll go with 129 as accurate, and rounding up, that gives him a Intelligence score of 13

Wisdom:

Wisdom is debateable. Obama spent time as a community organizer. Some are unclear on what a community organizer does. The National Review stated that, "Perhaps the simplest way to describe community organizing is to say it is the practice of identifying a specific aggrieved population, say unemployed steelworkers, or itinerant fruit-pickers, or residents of a particularly bad neighborhood, and agitating them until they become so upset about their condition that they take collective action to put pressure on local, state, or federal officials to fix the problem, often by giving the affected group money. Organizers like to call that “direct action.” The National Review further states that, "he seemed to work some sort of magic on the leaders. “He had a sensitivity I have never seen in anybody else to this day,” Augustine-Herron told me. “He understood.” The women were sold. “He didn’t have experience,” Augustine-Herron said. “But he had a sensitivity that allowed us to believe that he could do the job.” This combined with his time as a Illinois state legislator, or his brief tenure in the U.S. Senate, give him an above average Wisdom score, but exactly what it is is debatable.

Charisma:

Barack Obama's Charisma is notable. During the 2008 election, the Christian Science Monitor stated that:

"Among this season's presidential candidates, Barack Obama has clearly had the edge when it comes to that magical quality known as charisma. Pundits of every political stripe have commented on Senator Obama's "rock-star quality." After meeting him, even the most jaded political reporters have been known to report that he is something rare and special, the heir to such charismatic predecessors as John F. Kennedy."

"In each generation, a few public figures come along who have a personal magnetism that makes strangers care deeply about them. Call it star power, call it charisma, this infrequent gift is akin to the power that great actors have."

and:

"When charismatic politicians such as Obama speak, they are able to turn a room full of strangers into a community rich in shared meaning, just as a great actor creates such a community within a theater. Whether such rock-star politicians talk about change or healthcare policy, they articulate a vision that those in the audience quickly make their own."

"Charismatic leaders and their followers are interdependent; they feed and energize each other. The transformational leader gives the audience hope and makes it believe that, together, they can create a better future."

Barack Obama's Twitter account soon gained millions of followers, and is one of the most subscribed to on the planet.

We'll say Obama has a Charisma of 18.

Starting Profession:

Obama's starting profession is likely White Collar.

Feats:

Trustworthy and Athletic, possibly Confident, Educated, Renown, Studious

Posessions:

Barack Obama's most notable posession is the home that he and his wife  Michelle Obama, live in. Located in the Kenwood community area of Chicago, it is located in the 5000 block of South Greenwood. They paid $1.65 million for the Georgian-style home shortly after he became a senator in 2005.

Obama once drove a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. The presidential candidates' vehicles of choice -- and their fuel economy -- came under examination during the 2008 election. According to the Detroit Free Press, Obama was lambasted for driving the a V8 300C (his previous car) after chastising Detroit in a  speech for failing to anticipate rising oil prices that have changed consumers' buying habits. Bought on lease, the car was returned in 2010 to the dealership and sold to another owner.

Obama has said that when he leaves the White House, he will be buying the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid. Speaking at UAW conference in February 2012, the president said he enjoyed the feel of the Volt when he toured a Detroit assembly plant in 2010.

Skills:

Profession (politics) 4 ranks
Profession (law) 1 rank
Knowledge (religion) 4+ ranks
Knowledge (politics) 4+ ranks
Knowledge (law) 4+ ranks
Knowledge (public service) 4 ranks
Knowledge (public administration) 4 ranks
Perform (oratory) 4 ranks
Drive 1 rank
Computer Use 2 ranks
Jump 1 rank
Climb 1 rank
Plot Hooks:

The PCs are bodyguards and must guard a politician through an eventful day.

The politcian is giving a speech at a military base, and nefarious forces plan on raiding the armory while the speech is in progress.

A famous political item or artifact is about to be auctioned off for charity, and the PC must guard the item until it is ready for auction.

The PCs must navigate a mob of people (use the mob template from DMGII) to keep a politician safe, or to get to him before something bad happens.

Someone calls in a bomb threat to a local stadium where a political speech is scheduled to begin. The PCs must find out who is responsible, before the show starts.