Contest - Wumpus; Wumpae; Wumparum

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
Es gibt nur drei Wumpae: Hunted Wumpus, Shivan Wumpus, und Thrashing Wumpus.
I want more.

Criteria = Design a Wumpus.  Be creative, imaginative.. even.. artsy.
Nur drei Wumpae, wie schade! You never graded the contest with the mono-white 1/1 creatures..
Wouldn't it be wumpi and wumporum or wumperis (or wumpera) and wumperum or wumpus and wumpuum? Or am I being pedantic?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Nur drei Wumpae, wie schade! You never graded the contest with the mono-white 1/1 creatures..

EDIT = it's been graded

Wouldn't it be wumpi and wumporum or wumperis (or wumpera) and wumperum or wumpus and wumpuum? Or am I being pedantic?

(shrug)
design something!
Inspiration
Buffalo (place name) buffalo (animal name) buffalo (verb) Buffalo (place name) buffalo (animal name).
Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Wumpusing Wumpus
Creature - Beast
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a land.  If you don't, return ~ to your hand.
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices any combination of that many lands, creatures, or artifacts.
When Wumparo wumpuses get wumpusing, they wumpus all over the place.
6/6

Edit: Whoops, type line.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Sorry, but I won't enter if you don't grade your contests!
Wumpus Rumpus  
Sorcery
Audiably announce the casting of this spell, and put a 6/6 green beast token onto the battlefield. Then, if an opponent says "What?!" or "What are you doing?!", populate, populate. 
you don't grade your contest much do you lol

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Clearly what we need is a bluish Wumpus.

Crashing Wumpus 
Creature -- Beast

: ~ gains flying until the beginning of the next end step.
Whenever ~ loses flying, it deals 2 damage to each creature without flying.

Easily the most feared sound in Lamitos is the thudding of the wumpus.

6/6

Sad that I can't justify this as mono-blue, but eh.
"Beginning of the next end step" rather than "end of turn" for rules reasons ("until end of turn" effects end and marked damage is removed simultaneously).

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

you don't grade your contest much do you lol

i disagree
i think i very rarely don't grade
i didn't grade 1/1 white weenies (but offered to if there's a strong enough out-pouring)
and there was a contest a few months ago i didn't grade because there were literally 2 entries

..what else have i not graded?
Your contest with the mono-white 1/1 creatures was incredibly entertaining, please grade that one!
Wumpus Contest

Enchantment
The game never ends. (Players can't win, lose, draw or concede.)
Some wumpuses fail to make the grade.
Basic Wumpus -
Artifact Creature - Construct
Whenever damage is dealt to another creature you control, the source's controller sacrifices a creature.
Whenever damage is dealt to Basic Wumpus, sacrifice it.
"One good shot will slay the beast. One bad shot will feed it."
5/5

Siege Wumpus 
Creature - Beast
Whenever Siege Wumpus becomes blocked, it gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
"So I'm just gunna take this food bail and fling it over the wall.  We'll be inside the city by dawn." - Galus, Siege Technician
3/3

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Gentle Wumpusling |
Creature - Beast
When Gentle Wumpusling enters the battlefield, any player may return a land they control to its owner's hand. If a player does, return Gentle Wumpusling to your hand.
3/3
Hunted Wumpus?

Captured Wumpus -
Creature - Beast
Whenever a creature deals combat damage to Captured Wumpus , put a white aura enchantment token with "Enchant creature" and "Enchanted creature can't attack or block." into play attached to it unless it's enchanted.
Detaining just one requires a dozen chains.
6/6
Wumpusphinx
Creature - Beast Sphinx
Flying
When ~ enters the battlfield target opponent draws two cards.
6/6 

I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see. -Alice

Herdmaster Wumpus
Creature - Wumpus
Trample
Sacrifice Herdmaster Wumpus if you don't control a creature token.
Other creatures you control are tokens in addition to their usual types.
6/6
It's roar awakens the beast in us all.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
phoenixes were fun
you can expect multiple rounds of this thread
and the potential for an artsy round
I don't believe we should have multiple rounds, there's nothing that defines wumpae and that's why people are posting very random cards..
I don't believe we should have multiple rounds, there's nothing that defines wumpae and that's why people are posting very random cards..

i have plans

and there's a sort of definition for them
the pictures are all very similar -- their bodies and morphology are very clearly defined
and since this thread is unofficially in honor of artsy_wumpus, we can focus on the card art

a beast design that would fit a hound body shape won't fit for a wumpus
Wumpulumpus

Creature--Beast

, : Exile target creature.

Wumpulumpus doopity doo, I've got another puzzle for you.

4/4
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sleeping Wumpus

Creature - Beast

When ~ enters the battlefield or becomes untapped, any player may pay . If any player does, tap ~.

"The trick is to pursuade it to go back to sleep. That isn't a difficult task, usually."

3/4
this round closes in approximately 3 hours

round two opens immediately thereafter
Wumpus Contest

Enchantment
The game never ends. (Players can't win, lose, draw or concede.)
Some wumpuses fail to make the grade.

This is some excellent satire.  I give you a cookie.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Round One Grades =

FirstTurnKill = Wumpusing Wumpus = so much emphasis on sacrificing just feels really black to me -- otherwise, seems solid; is a very strong beast (6/6 trample for 5, that can devastate opponent's board) but crushes your own mana supply.. but I'm not sold the drawback is great enough considering just how powerful this guy is

cats_and_me = poutty complaint = find a contest of mine I haven't graded, and I'll gladly grade it (I'm aware of one contest still outstanding.. from months ago, with basically no entries, and no one ever asked for grades)

Artsy_Wumpus = Wumpus Rumpus = as an un-card, it's very good -- still expensive cost and reasonably balanced in an un-card playing environment -- plus you get all sorts of points for being a wumpus

Glasir = Crashing Wumpus = though I agree we need a blue wumpus, this doesn't feel sufficiently blue -- that aside, I LOVE this card; really great flavor to the mechanic and the flavor text, and the idea of a massive wumpus falling back down and causing a shockwave -- flavor of the design is fantastic

cats_and_me = compliment and request = thank you, and done

turnip_song = Wumpus Contest = seriously though? what contests are people claiming I never graded?  I feel like I'm very good about grading, and usually do it immediately upon closing the contest (compared to some people who make you wait days//weeks) -- well, anyway; you got your cookie

EpicLevelCommoner = Basic Wumpus = really should be a beast construct -- no idea why a missed shot kills your opponent's creatures.. and a random one that they choose to sacrifice -- I could see maybe damage to another creature you control causes you to sacrifice that creature and give your wumpus +1/+1 counters (it eats your wounded and grows) but as is just doesn't make any sense to me

AzureShade = Siege Wumpus = I like the concept and flavor, but: Razorclaw Bear, Slashing Tiger, and Snorting Gahr.  all same cmc as yours, and all 3/3s.. but they're harder to cast and only get +2/+2.. -- your guy is too strong of a power leap forward from the existing creatures in this vein; even if you dropped it to +2/+2 instead of +3/+3, the ease of casting (only one dedicated, and it's either color) is just so much more convenient

TherealphatMatt = Gentle Wumpusling = I really would have liked flavor text to explain why it goes back if anyone pockets a land -- I appreciate that you're fueling your own landfall abilities by returning lands (hm, you mentioned in your contest about being all pro-landfall right now; guess you were serious) -- need some idea of why it's doing what it's doing

cats_and_me = Captured Wumpus = thanks for finally submitting -- you put the aura token on your wumpus, right? wording is unclear, but that's the only way to help justify 6/6 for cmc 3 -- while I liked the effort of cycling with Hunted Wumpus, this falls short

KunouNoHana = Wumpusphinx = 2 cards isn't enough to make it really mill-deck viable.. but a blue flying 6/6 for 5 is very good.. -- I would be uncomfortable if you only let opponent draw 1, because then this would seem too powerful; but drawing 2 makes it seem too beneficial for opponent -- am not entirely sure what to do now or what change would make me happy -- maybe each opponent draws 1 card?  I think that would be my preference

Dudibus = Herdmaster Wumpus = I don't think 'token' really counts as a type; better wording for last ability is probably "treat other creatures you control as creature tokens" -- this makes populate SO POWERFUL -- I'd like this guy more without the last ability; just a 6/6 trample with a restriction that you have to have a token out to keep him.. simpler would have been better

bay_falconer = Wumpulumpus = so strong -- permanent creature removal, that gets around indestructible, and on a 4/4 body that survives most red removal and lost of black stat reduction removal -- am not comfortable with this at all

vlord = Sleeping Wumpus = should be "whenever" not "when" -- I like it -- it's a very strong green beast, but opponents can lock it down if they have the spare mana -- great early game, but potential to just slow down opponents as things develop -- very cool design

winner = Glasir with Crashing Wumpus
honorable mention = vlord with Sleeping Wumpus

Round Two Criteria = there are only 18 mono-black beasts (that aren't un-cards) -- and one of them is a wumpus: Thrashing Wumpus ---- design another mono-black beast, which is a Wumpus

EDIT = to be clear, when i say "mono-black" i don't mean you can't have colorless mana; Garruk's Packleader is just as mono-green as Primalcrux is
Greedy Wumpus 
Creature - Beast
Provoke (When this attacks, you may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
Morbid - At the beginning of each end step, if a creature died this turn, draw a card and lose 1 life.
It was trained to eat the wealthy, so that its masters could rake the stalls for treasure later.
5/5

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Wumpanthrope
Creature - Human Lycanthrope
At the beginning of your upkeep you may transform ~, if you do, an opponent of your choice may search their library for a card and add it to their hand, then shuffle their library.
2/1

//////

Werewumpus
Creature - Lycanthrope Beast {black}
Wither
When ~ deals combat damage, transform it.
6/4

I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see. -Alice

Reclusive Wumpus
Creature - Beast
Trample, indestructible
When Reclusive Wumpus becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.
6/6
Evolution had taught it it was at its weakest when caught out in the open.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Outrageous Wumpus - 4BB
Creature - Beast
B: Outrageous Wumpus deals 1 damage to each other creature. If this is the third time you activated this ability this turn, Outrageous Wumpus deals 4 damage to itself instead.
4/4
Incessant Wumpus  
Creature - Beast
Necrosymbiosis (If you would return another creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, you may pay life equal to this creature's power. If you do, return this creature to the battlefield. Use this ability only if this creature is in your graveyard.)
It has not yet wumped its last wump.
6/3
Woo!  OK, celebration over, next round.

Let's see, a wumpus is... what? Basically a giant beast.  Big, stubborn, and not too smart.  Mechanically there's not a whole lot of history to go on, so eh.  Usually giant dumb beasts are wholly the province of green, so how can we make one black... Thrashing Wumpus managed by distinguishing between 'mature' and 'teenage' wumpus... es?  Wumpi?  Wumpus?  Whatever.  Oh!  How about pulling a Garruk and having a cursed/diseased/dying wumpus, once a strong, noble beast but now sick and in pain, lashing out all around in a fruitless attempt to banish the ills that now beset it?  That's delightfully depressing.

Withering Wumpus
Creature -- Beast 

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on ~.
: Put a -1/-1 counter on each creature.

Ill, confused, and dying, it lashes out in a vain attempt to end its suffering.

4/4 

so sad 

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

round two closes more or less momentarily
Yay, I'm ready to make more Wumpi!

Round Two Grades =

AzureShade = Greedy Wumpus = the five black mana casting cost is just too much; really no reason this needs to be pure black; throw some colorless mana in there instead -- I do like the flavor text helping to explain the mechanic; kudos for that -- design itself.. I'm still stuck on the mana cost; it's so unecessary -- otherwise, design is very solid

KunouNoHana = Wumpanthrope//Werewumpus = issue of having "lycanthrope" in the type line is that "lycan" means "wolf" -- the beast form is big and kinda dumb and burns out quickly.. which is sufficiently wumpus-like -- you let opponent tutor a card in order to get a 6/4 wither than can only go out once before it reverts back.. I don't think it's worth the drawback  -- block him with a 1/1 weenie, and get a free tutor for any card that I don't even have to reveal.. yes; please play this guy against me

Dudibus = Reclusive Wumpus = putting the blue illusion ability on a black beast.. interesting.. -- of course, the problem with the illusion creatures is that they're essentially worthless without a Lord of the Unreal -- though you get the 6/6 body to slam forward, removal that's that easy is going to happen super quickly -- but, the illusions are printed, and this is certainly printable -- solid, though not really my personal cup of tea

EpicLevelCommoner = Outrageous Wumpus = the second part is odd.. I guess the point of the wording is that you can activate it 6 times, and then each other creature gets the full 5 damage though wumpus gets the 4... -- I'd prefer a more straight forward (a)can only be activated __ times per turn, or (b)if this ability is activated __ or more times this turn, sacrifice ~ (to get around beefing his toughness and then having the perfect boardwipe permanent)

Artsy_Wumpus = Incessant Wumpus = is the wumpus returned "as well" or "instead"?  would prefer your reminder text specified -- not really seeing how this works.. so I Reanimate a Vampire Bats, (lose 1 life for Reanimate) and pay 0 life for Necrosymbiosis, and then I also return this wumpus? and I can then pay 0 life for each other creature I control with Necrocymbiosis and return them, too? -- this could really use some clean up

Glasir = Withering Wumpus = that's perfect; I's a very black creature, with a nice beast-y feel that is perfectly explained by the flavor text -- this is fantastic design

Winner = Glasir with Withering Wumpus

Round Three Criteria = Let's expand the wumpus breeding pool.  Design a wumpus with at least one additional creature type//sub-type.

The additional type//sub-type must be adequately represented, but your design must still very clearly be a wumpus (and therefore of course, must be a beast).
So like a Beast Warrior?

Herd Protector
Creature - Beast Warrior
Trample
Until end of turn, if two or more creatures were put into your graveyard from play by a source an opponent controls this turn you may play Herd Protector without playing its mana cost and as if it had flash.
4/4
Evolution had turned the roles from selection to birth rite.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
So like a Beast Warrior?

well.. except what we know about Wumpuses suggests they aren't intelligent enough to have a class like warrior...
i mean, maybe warrior -- it doesn't require too much higher thinking
wizard or something would be right out (unless you have phenominal flavor to explain how a mindless beasty became super sentient)

so....
(Shrug)
I was trying to imply with my card that wumpus could have a kind of caste system similar to bees with warriors, queens, workers, that kind of a thing.  I wouldn't call it "intelligence" in the conventional sense as much as evolution, although it could be argued that evolution is pretty darn smart in a unconscious algorithmic sense.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Taxonomic Wumpus 
Artifact Creature - Beast Scarecrow
Taxonomix Wumpus has first strike as long as you control a white creature, shroud as long as you control a blue creature, undying as long as you control a black creature, provoke as long as you control a red creature, and reach as long as you control a green creature.
"We're not waiting for the bladecrows to come back to our fields.  Now, we're taking the fight to them."  - Mateecian Farmer.
5/5

Sign In to post comments