How does the githyanki exist in the astral sea?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
New DM here. First post ^_^.

Just wanted to know how they can survive as pirates there. Im assuming theres no air in the astral sea? Its kinda hard to not implode under those circumstances.
Creatures can breathe in the Astral Sea without issue, and there is no pressure issues that could crush them. Even a young baby could endure the Astral Sea with the proper precautions.

Happy Gaming
Astral Sea is more like a plane or dimension and not Outer Space
What they said.

4e did away with completely inhospitable dimensions/planes, because there's no point for them to exist if you can't do anything there.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Not sure on the 4th ed astral sea rules but in ealrier editions you did not need to eat there either. Quickest way to become immortal in D&D was to planeshift to the astral plane. IIRC Githyanki young were raised on the material plane. I don't think breathing was ever a problem on the astral plane/sea.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Not sure on the 4th ed astral sea rules but in ealrier editions you did not need to eat there either. Quickest way to become immortal in D&D was to planeshift to the astral plane. IIRC Githyanki young were raised on the material plane. I don't think breathing was ever a problem on the astral plane/sea.

Yeah, I don't recall anything different from that either. Time passes at 1/1000th of its normal rate in the Astral and you don't have to eat, breath, etc. Most of the time you won't even exist there in your material form. It is more a realm of abstract thought than of physical reality. Of course the Gith are a weird case being both very real and existing in an abstract non-physical realm...
That is not dead which may eternal lie
But Githyanki could take entire spelljammer ships with them when they crossed back to the Astral Sea. Well, they could if they were using Elven ships. Of course, the Elves didn't like this...
Oh well.
That was 2-3 editions ago.
When there was wildspace, and breathing problems.
 Did anything ever come of the Spelljammer in Astral Sea idea in 4th? It was something I was kinda looking forward to. One of the 4th ed books I read a few years ago had pictures of ships in the astral sea but I can't remember what book it was.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Magic. Boom.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
 Did anything ever come of the Spelljammer in Astral Sea idea in 4th? It was something I was kinda looking forward to. One of the 4th ed books I read a few years ago had pictures of ships in the astral sea but I can't remember what book it was.

As far as I know, only as home-brew and house rules.
I've thought about doing it myself.
I remember way back when being confused by some of the rules, and consequently building foam-core models of the ships for reference. This resulted in total rewriting a lot of ship stats.
 I have a mint 2nd ed spelljammer boxed set. I was considering converting rules from Star Wars Saga to represent the ship types.  A tradesman for example might have stats remarkably similar to the stock  YT-1300 (falcon).

Fear is the Mind Killer

I ran a 4E Planescape campaign that was very spelljammery in that the players navigated by boat but the ship rules are pretty lackluster and my players got use to the idea that the ships were mostly setttings of battles, it didn't feel very dynamic. I just had a bunch of melee guys so I didn't really want to do a round of battle with just the ranged kids having anything to do.
That's what ballistae and catapults are for.
Sign In to post comments