Guided by Voices: Trostani

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello again,

For those of you who are not familiar with me, here's some history: I began playing Magic in 1998 during the most obscene block of all time. Yes, I started playing magic during Urza's Saga. It's giant plays and ridiculous broken-ness have invaded me to my core. That being said, during this time I played mostly crappy mono-blue control decks that revolved around Temporal Adept and later a deck that revolved around various Faeries Rhystic Deluge and Rhystic Study. But after the lull that was the Mercadian block I took some time away from magic. I bought several products from the Invasion block but never played during that time.

Shortly before Torment was released, I began collecting cards again to eventually begin my way back into playing the game. This started with a Nightmare deck that utilized things like Mesmeric Fiend and Laquatus's Champion. But eventually I found my way to U/G Madness. This was about the time that I started seeing a bit of the tournament scene. I did quite good despite not having fully grasped all the game's concepts. During Onslaught I struggled to find a deck I enjoyed playing and considered hanging up my spurs again. But I trudged my way through with a version of Zombie Bidding. IMO: Legions was almost as bad as Masques block.

Then came the broken-ness of Mirrodin. I jumped on the affinity bandwagon early. Broodstar, early usually meant a game win. Later evolving into the monster that we know today. During this time I did so well at the local shop that after the initial investment of Arcbound Ravager, magic was virtually free to play for me. My winnings was more than enough for me to form most of the decks in standard. I continued playing until the release of Ravnica. At that time I had taken a job that pretty much forced me to cut my ties with Magic. Working less than stellar hours and never being able to find a good time to play. I left it behind for what I thought would be the last time. Fast forward to 2008, I am unemployed and need to find a way to spend my vast amount of free time when not looking for jobs. I begin playing EDH online through various free programs. I did quite well. Played during the time when Braids and Erayo were at the height of popularity, but my first EDH deck was Rafiq of the Many. But eventually I found a job and my time was again restricted. Jump ahead to Innistrad and I finally have time and a shop to play cardboard magic again.

I begin extolling the virtues of Commander to the shop and now we have a league! Currently I play a very aggressive Edric deck as well as a more midrange Kresh deck. I've been looking to expand out to a 3rd deck, and had some huge misfires in Jenara, and Phelddagrif. So I've decided to give Trostani, Selesnya's Voice a shot.

Why Trostani, Selesnya's Voice?
My favorite color wedge is Bant, although my friends would argue I'm a bit more BUG. That being said I haven't been able to workout a non-Rafiq Bant deck. Since I have a UG deck in Edric, why not try a GW list. Nearly 6 months ago I tried to put together a Gaddock Teeg deck as I felt like he is both restrictive to big plays while still able to generate some ridiculous advantages through things like Karmic Guide and Sun Titan. I have yet to actually sleeve this up as I'm looking for some comments.

I wanted to play a deck that has multiple ways to win. And I liked Trostani especially as they really give you 2 ways of doing it.

The Velvet Rope

Commander
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Lands-38
Command Tower
Savannah
Temple Garden
Sunpetal Grove
Wooded Bastion
Grove of the Guardian
Selesnya Sanctuary
Ancient Tomb
Temple of the False God
Yavimaya Hollow
Gaea's Cradle
Dark Depths
Tranquil Thicket
12 Forest
13 Plains

Creatures-28
Rhys the Redeemed
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
Kazandu Tuskcaller
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Eternal Witness
Fierce Empath
Wayfaring Temple
Solemn Simulacrum
Restoration Angel
Loxodon Hierarch
Acidic Slime
Sigarda, Host of Herons
Karmic Guide
Thragtusk
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Armada Wurm
Wurmcoil Engine
Duplicant
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Avenger of Zendikar
Woodfall Primus
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Angel of Serenity
Serra Avatar
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Reya Dawnbringer
Worldspine Wurm

Artifacts-3
Sol Ring
Mimic Vat
Phyrexian Processor

Planeswalkers-2
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Garruk, Primal Hunter

Enchantments-6
Luminarch Ascension
Beastmaster Ascension
Parallel Lives
Test of Endurance
Mirari's Wake
Collective Blessing

Instants-10
Crop Rotation
Worldly Tutor
Enlightened Tutor
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Eladamri's Call
Sundering Growth
Chord of Calling
White Sun's Zenith
Return to Dust

Sorcery-12
Genesis Wave
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Explosive Vegetation
Harmonize
Entreat the Angels
Decree of Justice
Rude Awakening
Collective Unconscious
Boundless Realms
Tooth and Nail
Crush of Wurms

I'd like as much feedback as possible, as I'm hoping to put this deck together and play by sunday for Commander League.
Creeping Renaissance is a Flashback sorcery that can fetch back all permanents of a type of your choice.
Hunter's Insight might be better than Harmonize.
I like both of those suggestiongs. I will probably add Creeping Renaissance. Hunter's Insight has potential to do some big things. But there's a decent amout of mass removal in my local league. So I feel like Harmonize is better as it's not a dead draw after a Wrath of God.

Sidenote I'd really like to hit the combo of Avenger of Zendikar and Boundless Realms.
Huh.  I like this list.  We build differently, but the deck is similar to what I would play with this, COOL!

I don't know what you have access to, but you have good cards in here already, so I'm going to hang the budgetary constriction.

Trostani SCREAMS Sylvan Library, first off.  Ancestral for almost every draw-step is strong.

Other card suggestions:

Sensei's Divining Top
Faith's Reward - tech for board clear.      
Garry Wildebeest - untapping lands could save you from over-extending and lend you a little accel if found early on.
Congregation at Dawn - Good for setting your draw up, even if you only find 2 creatures.  Goes nicely with Sylvan as well.
Knight of the Reliquary... not sure what to take out, really, but searching for non-basic lands is very good.
Diamond Valley - life / sac tech vs. removal.  Weak land mana-wise.  Strong but not without downsides.
Mana Crypt - combo with Darien, better Sol Ring with downside.  I usually play both of them together. 
Berserk for a really big swing if needed.    
Krosan Grip for when you really really need to kill an artifact or enchantment.
Krosan Verge built in two for one that grabs duals.
Survival of the Fittest
Genesis
Brawn this one is a half-hearted suggestion.  You may not even need it, but it's goofy tech if you have :G::G: open with Survival and you're on the swing.
Sun Titan really really really needs to be in this deck.
Saproling Symbiosis - instant speed double your creatures; this is a VERY scary piece of tech in the right place.
Aura Mutation - for when you need something gone and a few creatures to boot.  

Lastly, one of the things I think this deck really needs:
Lightning Greaves or the Swiftfoot Boots.  Something needs shroud or just haste to do the job right at the right time.  It really is invaluable.

I feel as though the weak points of your deck is taking care of errant non-basic lands.  It needs a way to get rid of them almost immediately.  You have quite a bit of ramp in the deck so that a Dust Bowl wouldn't be too breaking a land to put in with a Strip Mine.

What about Kor Haven, Maze of Ith and Yavimaya Hollow?  They're good utility lands... I don't know how dilute you want your list to be from coloured mana, but suggestions nonetheless.

Anyways, cool deck,

Cheers,

Malpheas
I like both of those suggestiongs. I will probably add Creeping Renaissance. Hunter's Insight has potential to do some big things. But there's a decent amout of mass removal in my local league. So I feel like Harmonize is better as it's not a dead draw after a Wrath of God.

Sidenote I'd really like to hit the combo of Avenger of Zendikar and Boundless Realms.

If mass removal is big, then Momentous Fall should be more to your liking.
Excellent Suggestions! Much appreciated.

@Malpheas: I strongly considered every card you suggested except Saproling Symbiosis. I've actually never even seen that card before. Props. I actually fudged a bit. I meant to put in Garruk Wildspeaker instead of Garruk Primal Hunter mainly because of the Overrun. However, after seeing my mistake I may consider playing both. I nixed a bunch of non-basic lands for this deck so I could hopefully get Boundless Realms that was ultimately why I decided not to use Krosan Verge. I will probably add Dust Bowl even though non-basic lands aren't really much of a problem in our league right now. Plus more often than not it seems that Woodfall Primus hits lands, not sure why this is happening. Sun Titan was a huge oversight and will be added. The last thing I wanted to add is that, I've played Greaves and Boots in nearly all of my EDH decks, other than my very first Rafiq deck it's never done much for me. I realize how powerful they are and I still almost auto-include them. But there's at least 3-4 decks packing mass removal out of the 8 or so of us that play regularly.

@Singe: Excellent. That is far more to my liking. Gives me a bit of a trick.
In my group we use Lightning Greaves as a litmus test:  "Equip Greaves to X threat... No responses? Excellent."  It doesn't really try to get a creature to avoid mass removal, so much as help push an attack or an effect through.  Semantics maybe, but it sounds like more of a play philosophy difference than anything else. 

For Boundless Realms, I have it in my Asmira deck for land adwantage and it's alright.  The idea I have now about that sort of thing is if I can have a couple of pieces of permanent land advantage creators, then I'll be better if I have to save up and cast one massive one for a combo.  The big stuff usually draws the hate.

One thing I did want to say about the list was kudos for the Kamahl, fist of Beats.  Wonderful creature.

Last suggestion(s): Greater Good.  Forgot about that one, but the momentus fall reminded me.  Obscene exile safety for creatures and card advantage.  Oh my, I forgot about Twilight Drover.  Holee Smookes this guy hauls.  He is frighteningly good with token decks and is an engine by himself.  I still can't believe he was printed in the same block as Teysa.

Cheers,

Malph

P.S. In my group, as well, I get moans and sighs for using Sun Titan.  They feel the card should be banned, but not just for my shenanigans.
I don't see Aura Shards....Or Privileged Position. Both enchantments can help keep you going or prevent your opponents from getting going. While you probably don't need it, Kjeldoran Outpost can be good, especially if you are interested in using some of the white soldier-token makers like Captain of the Watch, Knight-Captain of Eos, and Mobilization. That might end up changing the deck more than you like if you go that route, but is a viable option, I think.

Overall though, I like the deck and with a few fine tunements could run something very similar in my group. Which I might try...
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Aura of Silence is a staple in all my white decks.  No question.

For other suggestions that may help, what about Storm Herd
Ageless Entity can gain +1/+1 counters when you gain life. It becomes an 8/8 when brought out while your Commander is out.
Cradle of Vitality can put +1/+1 counters on a creature you control.
Inner Sanctum can prevent all damage to your creatures for a 2 life upkeep.
Cathars' Crusade is good in token decks. So's Aura Shards.

Also, consider putting Druid's Deliverance on the stick. You might also like Overrun.

Replace Garruk 2 with Garruk 1. The land untapping is really good. (Especially if you've got Gaea's Cradle, but even Selesnya Sanctuary likes it.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Fangren Firstborn for fatty token madness.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

So how did the league test-spin go?
Unfortunately, due to some unforseen company, I was unable to finish the deck before League took place. I ended up playing Kresh and getting walloped. As of right now I'm 85% complete with it. Still scrounging for some cards I know I have but can't quite seem to find where I placed them. So hopefully I'll get a few non-league games in later.
I see you have Test of Endurance have you thought abot Felidar Sovereign?
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
Citanul Hierophants gives all your creatures the ability to tap for G mana.
So I played the version of the deck I originally posted. I played against a Rith, the Awakener and a Asmira, Holy Avenger. I made several play errors and still completely stomped. Genesis Wave is serious business. The only way I could have lost was Commander damage.

When the game ended I had 300+ life, Serra Avatar, Phyrexian Processor and Avacyn, Angel of Hope in play. That was after the Rith player got out a Warp World.

Overall super happy with the deck. Can't wait to play it against a few of the more competitive decks at the shop.
What about changes?  Have anything in mind?  Is the list posted above the one you played with?
So far I'm keeping it as is. I want to play against a few of the more competitive decks and see what comes up. I don't think it's that common of my Rith opponent to resolve a Warp World, let alone try to resolve a warp world when he has about 6 less permanents in play than the Asmira opponent and myself.

If your'e looking for a deck that's hard to beat and not because you're "that guy", this appears to be the deck.
Cool.

That seems to be my Savra deck as well, except I'm "That Guy" because I play with LoA
Just a few random thoughts, nothing concrete yet...but I played a few of the more competitive decks.

This deck wants to play some mass removal. Not sure how much. Not sure what spells. I just know that sometimes it looks hopeless in situations where you want the board wiped. Probably will take out some of the non utility creatures.