Upcoming Duels 2013 DLC

142 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi everyone – I have some exciting news for you all! Over the next few months we will be releasing 3 Deck Packs for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013. Each Deck Pack will include 2 additional decks and will cost $2.99 (or 240 MSFT points) to download.

The first Deck Pack will release next week, Wednesday November 7th on Xbox LIVE Arcade, Playstation Network, and Steam. The Deck Pack on iPad will release November 8th. Stay tuned over the next couple of days for a preview of the decklists from one of the Duels community members!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Well, since we don't know Jack, I am interested in the decklists for sure.

EDIT: also, Obligatory Jerk response:

You're early, I'd projected this announcement to land on November 2nd....
Yipee!
Well this was unexpected but excited nontheless,

5 Bucks on Wingspantt (or however you spell it) getting the first look.

I'm certainly interested in seeing the decklists.
Now I'm sad because I'm not the chosen community member... I bet on Wingspan or Rob.

But hey, Sean is not dead after all!

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Hey guys indeed it is I!

Wizards has been nice enough to give Top Tier Tactics an exclusive look at the two full deck lists for the first upcoming DLC pack.

We will have an article up THIS FRIDAY, NOV 2 with full deck lists, as well as 2 videos with a card-by-card analysis of each deck.

Thanks to Sean and WOTC for this opportunity. I obviously cannot spoil it just yet, but I think the people who are fans of the colors of the decks will be VERY happy with their overall power and mechanics.

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

Hey guys indeed it is I!

Wizards has been nice enough to give Top Tier Tactics an exclusive look at the two full deck lists for the first upcoming DLC pack.

We will have an article up THIS FRIDAY, NOV 2 with full deck lists, as well as 2 videos with a card-by-card analysis of each deck.

Thanks to Sean and WOTC for this opportunity. I obviously cannot spoil it just yet, but I think the people who are fans of the colors of the decks will be VERY happy with their overall power and mechanics.

Woooo i love you wingspanTT :D

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Hey guys indeed it is I!

You know, i'm really starting to like this guy. Wink

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I obviously cannot spoil it just yet--

Show me where it says that...

but I think the people who are fans of the colors of the decks will be VERY happy with their overall power and mechanics.

That's cool coming from you since you're a fan and not a rep. Also since you were more open minded than most regarding Mindstorms, your opinion isn't likely to include a complimentary grain of salt (at least from my poit of view).
Hey guys indeed it is I!

Any tips? Aggro decks? Control decks? Dual-colored? 3 colors?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

.....but I think the people who are fans of the colors of the decks will be VERY happy with their overall power and mechanics.

I'm a litle confused by this. What does it mean? "People who are fans of colours of the decks"? Does that mean there are people who are not fans of the colours of the decks? Also, what does THAT mean?! Sounds like 3rd party marketing drivel.

Can someone please clarify?

Thank you.
.....but I think the people who are fans of the colors of the decks will be VERY happy with their overall power and mechanics.

I'm a litle confused by this. What does it mean? "People who are fans of colours of the decks"? Does that mean there are people who are not fans of the colours of the decks? Also, what does THAT mean?! Sounds like 3rd party marketing drivel.

Thanks you.

I'm not a massive fan of red or green. I sometimes enjoy a deck with those colours in, even mono if it's well built and comes with decent control (Ancient Wilds), but overall, I don't like them. Some people love them however, like I love white and blue, so if it is a R/G deck, they would be considered fans of the colours. Any clearer? 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Hrm. $2.99 seems very pricey for two decks, considering the original game was $10 for 10 decks and challenges, while the expansion was $5 for four decks and more challenges. All we're getting here are just two decks, nothing else.

I know most people here will pay without question, but still...feels like we're kinda getting ripped off.
Hrm. $2.99 seems very pricey for two decks, considering the original game was $10 for 10 decks and challenges, while the expansion was $5 for four decks and more challenges. All we're getting here are just two decks, nothing else.

I know most people here will pay without question, but still...feels like we're kinda getting ripped off.

That's the same price they charged for the deck packs in DotP 2012.

On topic: It's cool that we get a preview of these decks. 

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Thanks you.

I'm not a massive fan of red or green. I sometimes enjoy a deck with those colours in, even mono if it's well built and comes with decent control (Ancient Wilds), but overall, I don't like them. Some people love them however, like I love white and blue, so if it is a R/G deck, they would be considered fans of the colours. Any clearer? 

Again, I might be missing something here. This would make a bit more sense if he mentioned what colours were in the deck packs next Wednesday (or if we already knew.  As far as I know all we know is the list of Ravnica colour combinations).

But he doesn't.  So, as far as I'm concered the statement reads "people who like the colour combinations you already know about will be very happy" Which in itself, as a mini teaser, is disappointing as they could be any of the 5/6 different ones.  It seems like a useless comment.

Have I missed out on what colours we're getting 07/11/12? Or, more likely, does TT think we know what the deck colours out on that date are when we actually don't?

Thanks

Thanks you.

Again, I might be missing something here. This would make a bit more sense if he mentioned what colours were in the deck packs next Wednesday (or if we already knew.  As far as I know all we know is the list of Ravnica colour combinations).

But he doesn't.  So, as far as I'm concered the statement reads "people who like the colour combinations you already know about will be very happy" Which in itself, as a mini teaser, is disappointing as they could be any of the 5/6 different ones.  It seems like a useless comment.

Have I missed out on what colours we're getting 07/11/12? Or does TT think we know?

Thanks

No word to us yet on the two combinations shown for the first pack, no, but we will find out on friday, right? Wingspantt doesn't work for magic, he is doing this for us with his own free time, and I think we should just be grateful. What would you prefer, waiting till friday to see the decklists, or next wednesday? I know my own preference. And the statement was perfectly valid. You may not know what colours they are, but he was basically saying the two decks represent their colours well. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

Thanks you.

Have I missed out on what colours we're getting 07/11/12? Or does TT think we know?

Thanks

Example:

Think about someone who loves R/B. He probably hated Dragon's Roar form DotP'12, because it was a terrible deck, even though it had the colours the guy likes. According to Wingspan, that won't happen this time. I guy who loves, for example, B/W will love the deck because it's a good B/W, unlike the guy who loves R/B and was very disappointed with DR. Clear now?

Wait.... Decklists on Friday.....

YES!!

Now I just have to find that quote I made a couple weeks ago that we wouldn't know anything of what was comnig until 4 days before release!

Thanks you.

Thanks

No word to us yet on the two combinations shown for the first pack, no, but we will find out on friday, right? Wingspantt doesn't work for magic, he is doing this for us with his own free time, and I think we should just be grateful. What would you prefer, waiting till friday to see the decklists, or next wednesday? I know my own preference. And the statement was perfectly valid. You may not know what colours they are, but he was basically saying the two decks represent their colours well. 

I'm aware of what TT does and who he doesn't work for.  I enjoyed his exposées when Duels '13 was coming out (if not his mediocre play at the time, as featured during his likeable commentaries).

"the two decks represent their colours well" this makes sense and I understand now.  Athough, still annoyingly vague.

Seems I was just having trouble digesting how he articulated it.  

Thanks for the help.

Thanks you.

Thanks

Example:

Think about someone who loves R/B. He probably hated Dragon's Roar form DotP'12, because it was a terrible deck, even though it had the colours the guy likes. According to Wingspan, that won't happen this time. I guy who loves, for example, B/W will love the deck because it's a good B/W, unlike the guy who loves R/B and was very disappointed with DR. Clear now?

Also, this makes sense too, I understand.  Annoyingly vague but nice to know.

I was having trouble digesting how he articulated it.  

Thanks.

Everyone can be dissatisfied with the way the promotions go with DOTP and I understand thier feelings, but I, for one, thank you and I'm glad certain personalities didn't drive you away completely.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I think we're all expecting to see more dual colored decks to go along with the remaining Ravnica guilds. No way to know for sure which pairings will come next and which will show up later, but I think we could get an idea with a little speculation.

The remaining guilds and their associated color combinations are Boros, Dimir, Gruul, Orzhov, and Simic. Since we already have one W/B deck I think it's pretty unlikely that Orzhov will be next to show up so I would first cross that one off the list. Looking at what's left, I think they will want (or at least I think it would make sense) to avoid color sharing between the two decks. The first five were all balanced with each color appearing twice. I don't think we would see Boros and Gruul in the same deck pack, for example, as they both include red. In which case if they do exclude Orzhov for now and avoid wieghing too heavily on a single color I think there are only three options left. Boros and Dimir, Boros and Simic, or Gruul and Dimir. Personally I would consider Gruul and Dimir to be the most likely since Duels 2012 had a W/R and U/G deck.

Of course I could be completely wrong and Wizards does whatever the heck it wants, but I would weigh my expectations on one of those combinations. Speculation hardly even matters when we just have to wait until Friday to figure out what the deck pack includes.
Wow, that's quick.
I didn't expect that!
Awesome.
It's already been confirmed that the 3 deck packs will go like this:

DP1: and :B:
DP2: :R::G: and :B::W:
DP3: :U::G: and a 5-color deck

So we can stop speculating that there won't be another :B::W: deck. 

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Thanks Sean for the info! Hey Wing, if you read this, any idea around what time it will be up on Friday? I have to go out of town on Friday (no internet) and would love to read your analysis and previews before I go
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
It's already been confirmed that the 3 deck packs will go like this:

DP1: and :B:
DP2: :R::G: and :B::W:
DP3: :U::G: and a 5-color deck

So we can stop speculating that there won't be another :B::W: deck. 

Indeed. Guess they were listening when people were saying they were tired of Black decks.

Also, is more interesting to me than at this point.
I dunno, '12's March to War was a decent enough deck...It just bored the crap out of me for some reason...

Pretty sure DP3 is the one people will be most looking forward to. For the moreso than the five colour. I think the deck is going to be harsh personally.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Example:

This is exactly what I meant. I mean when you see what the colors are, IF you care about those colors, you will be happy. If it was a BANT deck (it isn't), BANT fans would like it. But, if for instance, you HATE Bant, it probably wouldn't sway you either way.

I will say that one deck is aggro with spatterings of control. It is straightforward, but does what it sets out to do well.

The other deck is extremely versatile, could be played as aggro, tempo ramp, token swarms or combo. It will be difficult but rewarding to build.

I will post very early on Friday, around 3 AM EST.

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Example:

This is exactly what I meant. I mean when you see what the colors are, IF you care about those colors, you will be happy. If it was a BANT deck (it isn't), BANT fans would like it. But, if for instance, you HATE Bant, it probably wouldn't sway you either way.

I will say that one deck is aggro with spatterings of control. It is straightforward, but does what it sets out to do well.

The other deck is extremely versatile, could be played as aggro, tempo ramp, token swarms or combo. It will be difficult but rewarding to build.

I will post very early on Friday, around 3 AM EST.

Release your info now or i tell my pal Anonymous to hack your website!!!!! :P

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

The U/B deck interests me alot. The rest not really, though, wish it were rather 3-color decks (FINALLY a game where 3-color decks can be used well, and then we get none!). Fortunately, there is a 5-color deck which is awesome, but just 1 single deck using more than 2 colors doesn't cut it for me.
I'll buy all these packs but U/B and U/G interest me the most. Maybe the 5 colour deck can be cut down to 3 colours?

When did the last DP come out for DOTP 2012? I'm also guessing that the 3 colour deck or the U/G deck will be pretty powerful if we are to follow the pattern of previous Duels. Maybe we will see dual lands? 
I'll buy all these packs but U/B and U/G interest me the most. Maybe the 5 colour deck can be cut down to 3 colours?

When did the last DP come out for DOTP 2012? I'm also guessing that the 3 colour deck or the U/G deck will be pretty powerful if we are to follow the pattern of previous Duels. Maybe we will see dual lands? 

This is just mere speculation of course, but I would hope that the 5 colour is the much coveted (mainly by me) Artifact deck. It would make most sense, since a lot of artifacts can be cast with either colour, which is exactly what makes me a fan of them, and scarecrows in particular. Also, in regards to cutting it to 3 colours, I would think so, yes. With roughly 25 lands including fixers, that leaves 75 in a full selection according to the decks we have. I would think that not only can you cut it to three colours, you should be able to cut it to ANY three colours of your choice. You are removing 40 cards after all, and even out of balance I wouldn't think there would be more than 20 of any one colour. That goes double if it IS an artifact deck. 

I'm may be wrong, but if we can't cut two colours of our choice, then we should be able to cut at least a few combinations of two out. Any other theories? It is certainly this deck that interests me the most since i've never played a 5 colour deck anyway. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
The first U/B deck in dotp, looking forward to it.
Guys im 99% sure that the 5 color deck will be a REANIMATOR deck, so mainly black.

Why?

1st: we miss a second mono black deck
2nd: 5 color deck would be such a pain to use, even with the manual land tapping. Therefore i assume that the multi color comes from the reanimator targets.
3rd: remember graveborn, the premium deck? it was listed as 5 color deck (where in reality you just played monoblack).

so i'm positive we won't see 5 different kind of lands in one deck...as it will make people so much stressed and angry...
Seems it is time to give a break to Duel of Champions and go back to Duels of the Planeswalkers it seems. Too bad my thread for that game was deleted, some of you will love that game (if you hear about it of course).

Waiting for Wingspatt's review tomorrow. Cheers.   
Guys im 99% sure that the 5 color deck will be a REANIMATOR deck, so mainly black.

Why?

1st: we miss a second mono black deck
2nd: 5 color deck would be such a pain to use, even with the manual land tapping. Therefore i assume that the multi color comes from the reanimator targets.
3rd: remember graveborn, the premium deck? it was listed as 5 color deck (where in reality you just played monoblack).

so i'm positive we won't see 5 different kind of lands in one deck...as it will make people so much stressed and angry...

I'm 100% sure this is insufficient basis to be 99% sure of anything.
An interesting theory, but I wouldn't bank 99% certainty on it...

Just saying.
omg so excited for the 5 color deck Tongue Out
The first U/B deck in dotp, looking forward to it.

Not really.  Relics of Doom - Duels '09.  Also, Machinations - Duels '12 can be played as U/B.
Both of those were all about artifacts though, hopefully this time it'll be U/B really about U and B.

This is just mere speculation of course, but I would hope that the 5 colour is the much coveted (mainly by me) Artifact deck. It would make most sense, since a lot of artifacts can be cast with either colour, which is exactly what makes me a fan of them, and scarecrows in particular. Also, in regards to cutting it to 3 colours, I would think so, yes. With roughly 25 lands including fixers, that leaves 75 in a full selection according to the decks we have. I would think that not only can you cut it to three colours, you should be able to cut it to ANY three colours of your choice. You are removing 40 cards after all, and even out of balance I wouldn't think there would be more than 20 of any one colour. That goes double if it IS an artifact deck. 

I'm may be wrong, but if we can't cut two colours of our choice, then we should be able to cut at least a few combinations of two out. Any other theories? It is certainly this deck that interests me the most since i've never played a 5 colour deck anyway. 

If there's going to be a 5 colour deck, I'd put money on it being a Sliver deck.

Flavourful, powerful and easy to play. Fits right into DOTP. And potentially game-breaking too, which as the final deck is traditional too!

Neh my money is on an artefact deck, since we don't have one yet. Probably with artefacts that cost all colors to activate and do crazy stuff.

I think the pricing policy for Duels is that the base game is underpriced to attract people, and the DLCs are progressively increased in relative price because they're targetting the more dedicated players. That is, the base game is trying to hit the "fair price" of a casual or undecided gamer, whereas the DLC is trying to hit the fair price for the enthusiast (the sort that would buy the base game for $15-20).

This modern approach to pricing is good in principle, although it can suffer from being abused by the publishers (see day 1 DLCs and the associated concern that you're being tricked out of content you've paid for). In the case of Duels, however, we usually know exactly what we're getting so it's not really possible for them to abuse the system here.
Sign In to post comments