DLCR: Deathrite Shaman

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays RtR card to rate is...

Deathrite Shaman

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I think this little guy is awesome.  I got him at the prerelease and he was so much better then I first thought he'd be.  I'll pick him high and I'll splash for him easily.

Discuss!
See, I see this as a 3.5. He keeps you ahead, he doesn't really get you ahead.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

This guy is awesome in any deck that can play him. He's particularly good against scavenge decks. He's also very good in a race situation. Gaining 2 life a turn or dealing 2 damage really helps in a race.

Unlike the Demon he isn't really pushing the board advantage, but he might get you to the late game and cause havoc to Golgari decks.  Ironic considering he's a Golgari card.  He's good at stalling if you're on the late game plan, which considering you might be in Golgari yourself is sometimes needed to get the scavange engine running.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.

This guy is amazing.  I can't think of any uncommons or commons that I want if this guy is in the pack.
Depending on the seriousness of the draft Rix Maadi Guildmage comes to mind first.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
4 for me.  If you are Golgari he is great.  If you are Rakdos or Selseyna he is fine (especially if you can splash the other colour) but nothing special.  In constructed on the other hand...
I think 4.0 seems right. I have seen him swing an insane amount of life in a single game and taking out scavengable creatures in your opponent's graveyard is also a plus.
4.0  I got killed by this last night simply by eating his populate spells once they were in the graveyard. 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

Not a game-winner or anything, but he's an insanely efficient use of surplus mana.  If you drop him early on, he will certainly buy you a few more turns over the course of the game. 

4.5-5.0. He's ridiculous.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
4.5-5.0. He's ridiculous.

This. Grim lavamancer trades hitting creatures for splashable and lower cost.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Sign In to post comments