Which paragon path is right for my ranger?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi CharOp!

I'm working on a "balanced" melee/throw ranger, and I'm really torn on which paragon path to pick. This is what the character looks like right now:

Stuff:

Thri-Kreen Ranger 11
Marauder Fighting Style
Prime Shot
Str 21
Con 12
Dex 21
Int 9
Wis 14
Cha 11

Heroic feats:

Thri-Kreen Weapon Master
Spear Expertise
Armor Proficiency - Studded Leather
Archery Mastery - Rapid Shot Mastery
Manticore's Fury
< retrained >

Paragon feats:

Prime Punisher
Called Shot

Class Powers:

(AtW) Twin Strike
(AtW) Rapid Shot
(Enc) Off-Hand Strike
(Enc) Disruptive Strike
(Enc) Biting Volley
(Day) Jaws of the Wolf
(Day) Frenzied Skirmish
(Day) Attacks on the Run
(Uti) Begin the Hunt
(Uti) Invigorating Stride
(Uti) Antennae Sense

Equipment:

Gythka of Speed +2
Shadowdance Studded Leather +2
Cloak of Resistance +3
Iron Armbands of Power
Gauntlets of Blood
Acrobat Boots
Eagle Eye Goggles
Power Jewel

So, my questions to you are:

1. What is a good, strong paragon path for this character? I'm very open to changing ranger fighting style or multiclassing to get access to more paragon paths.

2. I've never played a ranger before, is there anything obvious I've missed?

Very thankful for any ideas!
You're doing a thrown/melee ranger and you don't have Throw and Stab as one of your at-wills?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
You're doing a thrown/melee ranger and you don't have Throw and Stab as one of your at-wills?

He does have Twin Strike and I tend to feel that Throw and Stab is over-rated, the power requires both attacks to target different enemies, and prevents focusing fire (the key to all rangers).  With that said I also feel that Rapid Shot is not worth the cost of a feat and Thow and Stab would be a better power (more accurate and frees up a feat slot).

As for Paragon Paths, 'Avalanche Hurler' is decent one for Rangers using a thrown weapon, through you will want reserver manuver to replace the 11 encounter power.
Since you're a Thri-Kreen anyway, I think you could do worse than their racial PP (Thri-Kreen Predator). Mobility is always good, and I can think of nice combinations with the free AP jump and your Manticore's Fury.
Thanks for the input, everyone.

No, I chose not to take Throw and Stab. My reasoning was that since it must target different enemies I'd lose out on the Called Shot damage bonus on one of them, which essentially cancels the damage advantage that Throw and Stab has over Twin Strike. The movement in Throw and Stab is very nice, but with a base speed of 8, I figure I will be where I want to be most of the time anyway. Does this seem reasonable, or am I way off?

Of course, I recall there is a paragon path that lets you quarry two enemies at once, and that might change everything. There are a lot of options to consider and, well, that's why I'm here asking about it!

As for Rapid Shot, I was thinking it could dish out some serious damage after a Come and Get It or similar, but that might be strictly best case scenario and turn out to be disappointing in actual play.

I'm really liking the features on the Avalanche Hurler path. A free RBA in every fight that matters and some extra accuracy at range, that's good stuff.

The Thri-Kreen path is pretty cool with gaining a permanent climb speed and other movement, but it looks weak in combat potential. It's basically +2 damage once per combat and extra flanking every once in a blue moon. I guess having a Reliable stun at 20 is pretty good, though. Wait, all undeads are immune to it anyway, right? Hmm.
If you're not going to take Throw and Stab, why in the world do you have Manticore's Fury?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
If you're not going to take Throw and Stab, why in the world do you have Manticore's Fury?

It does good work when weaving in the melee Minor action attacks between range attacks. Whatever the case, if everyone agrees that Throw and Stab is a great power, then I have nothing against picking it up. I'm not married to Rapid Shot.
Its not a great power, but thats because you should be Twin Striking with as many of your standard actions as possible. I simply don't see Manticore's Fury as that useful a feat. It's generally better to focus on either melee or range, instead of trying to do both.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Manticore's Fury drew me in with promises of 8+ extra damage per turn. But I guess Lasting Frost has it beat pretty handily in that regard. I just wanted to do something differently than going the old frost cheese route.

And I must say it is pretty tempting to drop melee attacks outright and just go ranged. It's annoying that my melee allies aren't allowed to join in or they ruin Called Shot on my melee attacks.
its +2/4/6 damage at the loss of specialization for marginal gains in flexibility. You will lose out on damage trying to do both.
Let's see here... Assuming three attacks per turn, Manticore package works out to

8 (manticore) + 9 (thri-keen weapon master) + 3 (bracer, average 1.5 melee attacks) = 20 damage

While a greatbow gets

6 (larger damage die) + 6 (weapon focus) + 6 (bracer) + 3 (higher dex) = 21 damage

with conditionally more from Bow Expertise, always getting Called Shot, and not least +1 to hit. And it doesn't even cost more feats. Yeah, the bow package really comes out on top.