Regeneration and another small question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
A few questions about regeneration

I understand that when it happens the creature is removed from combat and tapped but how does this work mid-combat.

For example if I'm attacking with a creature with regeneration and my opponent blocks with a creature where they would normally trade, is it correct that if I regenerate my creature his creature is not dealt combat damage and therefor does not die?

Second, how does regeneration work in multiple instances during the same turn?  For example if my opponent plays a wrath effect and I regenerate my creature in response, then later in the turn they play another wrath effect I can pay for another regeneration correct? What happens if one were to play a wrath, then in response I regenerate my creature and in response to that someone casts a targetted kill spell on my creature. Could I still then pay for regeneration again in response to that spell?

On a completely different topic.

The triggers for unwinding clock and seedborn muse are seperate, so it should be possible to use an artifact in response to one before the second goes off and untaps the artifact again correct?
1) No, that is not correct. Combat damage is dealt at the same time. Even if you regenerate it it will deal damage.

2) Yes you can regenerate it more than once a turn, and must for each destruction it will face.

3) Yes you controll both triggers, you can stack them in either order and then respond to them with tapping to flaot mana or whatever.
3. No you cannot. The Clock and the Muse do not have triggered abilities (they do not use the word 'when', 'whenever', or 'at'). They simply cause the stated permanents to untap during your opponent's untap step. Having multiples on the battlefield are redundant and don't really do anything.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

if I'm attacking with a creature with regeneration and my opponent blocks with a creature where they would normally trade, is it correct that if I regenerate my creature his creature is not dealt combat damage and therefor does not die?

No. Activating regeneration simply creates a shield. It will be removed from combat only when the shield is used up.

1. Your regenerator attacks.

2. Your regenerator is blocked.

3. You activate your creature's regeneration ability.

4. Your creature's regeneration ability resolves: Your creature is given a regen shield.

5. The attacker and the blocker simultaneously deal damage to each other.

6. SBAs are performed: Your creature woud get destroyed (and die as a result), but the regen replaces that event.

As you can see, both creatures were in combat at the time combat damage was dealt, so both dealt their damage.

Second, how does regeneration work in multiple instances during the same turn?  For example if my opponent plays a wrath effect and I regenerate my creature in response, then later in the turn they play another wrath effect I can pay for another regeneration correct?

Yup. I'm not sure what you mean by "wrath effect", so I don't know if regen would help (e.g. it wouldn't help against Wrath of God), but you can activate an ability as many time as you can afford the cost.

What happens if one were to play a wrath, then in response I regenerate my creature and in response to that someone casts a targetted kill spell on my creature. Could I still then pay for regeneration again in response to that spell?

Same answer as the previous question.

The triggers for unwinding clock and seedborn muse are seperate, so it should be possible to use an artifact in response to one before the second goes off and untaps the artifact again correct?

No. They're not triggered abilities (since they don't start with "at", "when" or "whenever"). They're replacement effects, and they both replace the same event.

Note: If the creature that's doing the blocking has First Strike, the regenerating creature will not deal damage, because it will have been removed from combat by the time the normal combat damage step arrives.
Ah, somewhat sad about the redundancy of those two effects then, but oh well.

As far as how regeneration works...that's quite interesting and that means that everyone I've played with at my local shop has been telling people and doing regeneration incorrectly this whole time.

They've always maintained that if you regenerate a creature in combat as it is blocked by another creature, that regeneration removes it from combat and thus prevents it from dealing combat damage to the other creature. If I understand this correctly though that would only be the case if it was first strike damage and the creature would need to be regenerated before it dealt damage.

Yup. I'm not sure what you mean by "wrath effect", so I don't know if regen would help (e.g. it wouldn't help against Wrath of God ), but you can activate an ability as many time as you can afford the cost.

That's my bad for saying wrath effect, I meant a board-wide killing effect such as DoJ which I typically think of and hear as a "wrath" effect but I never played when wrath of god was legal or used so I forget about the cannot be regenerated clause.
Well, you can show the following to your friends.
701.12a If the effect of a resolving spell or ability regenerates a permanent, it creates a replacement effect that protects the permanent the next time it would be destroyed this turn. In this case, “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat.”

It's not removed from combat when the ability resolves, only when it would get destroyed after damage is already dealt.
704.5g If a creature has toughness greater than 0, and the total damage marked on it is greater than or equal to its toughness, that creature has been dealt lethal damage and is destroyed. Regeneration can replace this event.