Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

Disney's and Marvel's teamup on the Avengers was pretty awesome. If they can do that with Star Wars it would be pretty sweet. I highly doubt they will. They're probably gonna completely mess up canon. I want to be optismistic, but I know that I probably shouldn't. They don't have a director or anything lined up. And they said it would continue the story of Luke, Leia and Han. Are they gonna get the orignal actors? Carrie Fisher looks nothing like she did when she played Leia, and Mark Hamill ain't looking too good either. Harrison Ford might be able to pull off and older Solo, like did for Indy in Crystal Skull. So this movie could be cool, or it could suck. I guess we'll wait til 2015 and find out.
can't wait to see big fat Grandmaster Luke kick some ass, and watch Han make out with Leia before she coughs up a lung.

They need to just set it in a completely new era, like 500 years after Endor. 
192523575 wrote:
-In loving memory of all the Squirrel Jedi hunted down during the Dark Times.
"any eye for an eye leaves the world blind" "No it doesn't, there'd be one guy left with one eye" my custom miniatures http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/29829771/ChainmailJedis_customs
If it's the continuing story of Leia, etc., one wonders...will they recast a la the most recent Star Trek movie or...

FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
Maybe they could use Carrie Fisher if they need someone to play a Hutt
As for "completely messing up canon" I'd say that has been happening for year.
I, personally, am excited. VEEERRRYYYY excited. I'll try to keep an open mind, and hopefully it will be awesome (with or without screwing with canon. Honestly it really doesn't bug me)
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
As for "completely messing up canon" I'd say that has been happening for year.

Good point. This might bring it to a whole new level though, because there are a lot of books, comics, and short stories that have been written about that era. If I'm gonna be honest, I'll probably go see the movies when they come out, no matter how much I complain about them messing with canon. I'll try to enjoy them, even if I have to forget all I know about EU for a few hours.

LOL. Carrie Fisher has lost a lot of weight since then. She looked all right in Fanboys, IIRC. Still, unless they're going to make movies about middle-aged Han, Luke and Leia, they're going to have to recast the characters.

Personally, I am cautiously optimistic. I used to hate Disney but not because of the unwatchability of their films. I'm more concerned about the subject matter, and not because I'm worried they'll mess with canon. I just hope they won't adhere too closely to the post-films EU, as I really don't like that era at all. It cheapens the movies so much to have Palpatine come back multiple times and to have invasion after invasion so the movie heroes never get a moment's peace and all that. I personally would prefer it if they did prequel-prequels set in the KotOR era. They could tie them in with the SW:TOR MMO as well. 
"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

OK, the Palpatine clones were kinda stupid. And like anything, some of the stuff was better than others. There are some really good authors who wrote some very good star wars books, like Aron Allston and Timothy Zahn, and then some not so great authors. A lot of authors built on minor characters in the movies and turned them into realy cool characters. Some KOTOR era movies would be pretty epic though.
As RobShanti suggested, there is no way this is going to work. 

Mark Hamill 2010.jpg

File Carrie Fisher at WonderCon 2009 4.jpg

Unless they use CGI actors like they did in Tron....

Heh heh.

But really, wow. Three more films?! Wow. I also do not know what to think. What era do you think it will be in?

Yes, I know I misspelled "Jensaarai".
Show
You are Red/Blue!
I am Red/Blue
I am both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.
But really, wow. Three more films?! Wow. I also do not know what to think. What era do you think it will be in? 

They said somewhere that they wanted to continue the story of Luke, Leia and Han, so presumably the post-film era. But maybe they'll make up their own story instead of using what's already out there. That's more or less what was done with the Star Trek reboot, after all.

"Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind."

~ David G. Allen

it might be likely that they would make an animated series to follow up on han, luke, and leia, using harison ford, carrie fisher, and mark hammil as voice actors. i think mark hammil could really shine there with lukes decent to the dark side, having been the voice of the joker. (no i don't mean that he should have all those teeth. lol ) 
then they could do live action with new faces.
or they could do a reboot and remake all 9 :D movies, which i'm ambivalent about. on the one hand you could get rid of episodes  I,II,III (mockery of cannon in my opinion) it could be good, but they would have to keep it set for an age range of  17-30 at least. it can be clean enough for childeren, and still be geared for adults. but i would want them to make them dark, as most fans see it, (han shot first.) i mean it's not to hard, there should be no blood from blaster fire or light saber wounds. and there's no sound in space... but i really like the tie fighter/plasma blaster cannon sounds :D
i just hope WOTC will be able to revise current SWSERPG (just to make things more defined as they have w/ D&D) plus i would like to see more material. and a legitimate character/vehicle generator  that can be edited (easily) example there is no stat block on a small/large life boat. and what about an ultralight cargo container for huge+ ships. i mean it's like a house rule for me that escape pods can be refitted to be living quarters w/ a month of consumables, a hyperdrive, navi (limited) and a hypertranciever for updates and comunications, and around 200 kg of cargo (you live there...)
but that's kind of off topic, i just hope disney doesn't @#$% us...
Forget Snow White and the Huntsman ... how about Snow White and the Stormtrooper? ;)

i just hope WOTC will be able to revise current SWSERPG

Considering how WotC ditched the license, it's unlikely we'll be seeing any revisions of their SW RPGs.

~ David G. Allen

Considering how WotC ditched the license, it's unlikely we'll be seeing any revisions of their SW RPGs.

one can hope.

one can hope.

Well, they'd have to reacquire the license first, and that's not likely to happen for a good 5 years at least. Without it, they're not allowed to publish anything to do with their SW RPGs.

~ David G. Allen

Disney's and Marvel's teamup on the Avengers was pretty awesome. If they can do that with Star Wars it would be pretty sweet.

Agreed! The Avengers movie was awesome! I think Joss Whedon had some say in that. But anyway, new movies could be a very good thing. I think the actors will be re-cast, like the latest Star Trek movie. Whether the plot will be any good is another story (no pun intended).

They're probably gonna completely mess up canon.

If you're talking about books that came out covering what happens after the movies, I don't really care about that. Besides, George Lucas made it a practice to ignore the EU whenever it was convenient to do so.

Also, if ignoring canon means ignoring things like Luke falling to the dark side (which I pretend never happened) and Palpatine getting cloned, then it's a good thing.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

My thought: If 2015 is the target date, isnt that a short time away in blockbuster making time? If so, then a goodly amount of work has already been started, no? I would guess a pseudo finished script and maybe design sketches?
Well, they'd have to reacquire the license first, and that's not likely to happen for a good 5 years at least. Without it, they're not allowed to publish anything to do with their SW RPGs.

why 5 years?
i was listening to the threat detected podcast and they seem to think that it's more than likely that WOTC will reaquire licencing and it would be more profitable sooner rather than later, plus they could re-vamp the system in a 1.5 kind of way, and be able to re-sell all the existing books. but i see them waiting to compleatly redo the campaign guides post episode VI till the release of the new films. 
they talk about how disney likes to consolidate there licencing rights as it has proven more lucretive for them in the past ( aproximatly 35 minutes in)

media.podcastingmanager.com/7/4/3/3/8/29...
I recall someone saying in the past that the license is a 5-year deal. I doubt WotC will reacquire the license.

~ David G. Allen

I'm pretty much of the same thought as JediMunchkin:  I want to hope that it will be good, but I'm afraid it will fall on it's face.  Consider:  If they do something from EU (Thrawn trilogy, Young Jedi Knights, Legacy era, etc.),  people will riot.  If they do something completely new, people will riot.  I'm personally not seeing a win-win situation here Foot in Mouth.

I was actually so shocked when I first heard that Lucas sold out that I told my wife that I hope the world ends in 2014 so I could be spared possible disappointment Smile.  My personal feeling is that the era of Star Wars filmography should be done (having only watched the six films plus the Clone Wars movie, I think that's plenty.  Please don't stone the heretic .  I think the novels for the EU have been good overall (one can't catch all the bad apples falling from that tree), and I think the RPGs and other paraphenalia have been wonderful, but the big screen needs no more Star Wars.  We simply need to indoctrinate the world's youth in the true power of the Force  (ie.  show them the movies, make them read the novels, and finally introduce the wonder of the RPG Cool).
Winner of the You Make the... Contest #9: Jedi Padawans Winner of the You Build the Character#33:  EU Bounty Hunters Winner of the You Build the Character #37:  The Empire Strikes Back Winner of the "Ultimate Dream Builds #1: The Underworld" I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I recall someone saying in the past that the license is a 5-year deal. I doubt WotC will reacquire the license.

idk about the 5 year thing, you could be right, but i do know disney doesn't like to do things that way. i think the licencing will be renegotiated, and if disney was smart (which they are,) they will probably aproach WOTC with an offer, there are alot of sales to be made.
more figurines (char/ship), detailed game oriented atlases (with defined distances between systems, and various info. about the planets in given systems, etc.) i could go on forever, but...
 We simply need to indoctrinate the world's youth in the true power of the Force  (ie.  show them the movies, make them read the novels, and finally introduce the wonder of the RPG ).

JOIN THE 501st! DO YOUR PART! ;)

idk about the 5 year thing, you could be right, but i do know disney doesn't like to do things that way. i think the licencing will be renegotiated, and if disney was smart (which they are,) they will probably aproach WOTC with an offer, there are alot of sales to be made.
more figurines (char/ship), detailed game oriented atlases (with defined distances between systems, and various info. about the planets in given systems, etc.) i could go on forever, but...

Perhaps. Or they may just let FFG do their thing. Lucasfilm will still exist as an entity. For all we know, Disney might take a fairly hands-off approach. George is still going to have creative input on the new films.

Besides, I personally would not like to see WotC get the license back. I don't think they handled it with the care it deserved, nor do I feel that d20 is a good fit for Star Wars. It needs its own proprietary game engine. Barring that, something more narrative-based like FATE would be better than d20. 

Here's an article with a bit more info: Lucas defends Star Wars turn around.

"The seventh movie, with a working title of Episode 7, is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond Return of the Jedi, the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new Star Wars movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies."

"Disney CEO Bob Iger said Lucusfilm had already developed an extensive story line on the next trilogy, and Episode 7 was now in early-stage development."

My emphasis. 

Apparently Disney is also getting the rights to Indiana Jones.

~ David G. Allen

I might be wrong but back when I was a kid, I remember Lucas saying on the radio he planned to make 9 films and the story was already on paper. These stories where not scripts, but where rough sketches. I think you will find that Disney has purchased all Lucas has ever written on Starwars. Which I think might infact be another 6 movies. I also remember the public thinking he was crazy that he had so many movies planned for the Star Wars story; then Star Wars: A New Hope was a worldwide smash. My friends went to that movie 10 times in a row and I was living in a rural area. Doubting Lucas was not an option after that, we all just wanted more. You might not see the cutting edge technology of the first Star Wars movie again (we have all seen it now), or the radical story ideas, but does it really matter. I'm middle aged and glad to hear there is more to come.
I remember that, too, Prom. There's a fuzzy childhood memory in my head that Lucas had originally planned to make nine films. However, there's also a quote from Lucas to the effect that as far as he was concerned, the story stops at the end of Episode VI and Luke doesn't get married and so on and so forth. But then, it's not like he's never changed his mind before, so I guess that quote needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

~ David G. Allen

I'm pretty much of the same thought as JediMunchkin:  I want to hope that it will be good, but I'm afraid it will fall on it's face.  Consider:  If they do something from EU (Thrawn trilogy, Young Jedi Knights, Legacy era, etc.),  people will riot.  If they do something completely new, people will riot.  I'm personally not seeing a win-win situation here .

That sounds exactly like Episode 1. It didn’t matter how good the movie was going to be, the standard was set so impossibly high that it was doomed to fail before it even started. The Original Trilogy was one of the most successful movies of all time that to try and create a new movie is like trying to write a sequel to the Bible, the most successful book in human history, and hope it lives up to the expectation.

I’m getting the exact same feeling as a await Episode 7.

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

I might be wrong but back when I was a kid, I remember Lucas saying on the radio he planned to make 9 films ...

Yep, I remember that too...and then Lucas took the opposite position after the prequel trilogy came out saying (cheekily) he'd make no more.  Now he's grinning, telling us that that didn't mean there wouldn't be any more movies -- just that he wouldn't be the one making them.  I also remember Lucas saying backin the seventies and early eighties that there would be a live action television series, and that still hasn't materialized, though not for lack of trying.  I'm sure that at one time or another, these things were intended, but just didn't happen for any number of reasons, but the bottom line, I'm sure, is and has always been money

And financial constraints, concerns, offers, etc. change over time.  Now that a whole new corporation is involved with Star Wars, that's going to be a game changer too. 

FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
I might be wrong but back when I was a kid, I remember Lucas saying on the radio he planned to make 9 films ...

Yep, I remember that too...and then Lucas took the opposite position after the prequel trilogy came out saying (cheekily) he'd make no more.  Now he's grinning, telling us that that didn't mean there wouldn't be any more movies -- just that he wouldn't be the one making them.  I also remember Lucas saying backin the seventies and early eighties that there would be a live action television series, and that still hasn't materialized, though not for lack of trying.  I'm sure that at one time or another, these things were intended, but just didn't happen for any number of reasons, but the bottom line, I'm sure, is and has always been money

And financial constraints, concerns, offers, etc. change over time.  Now that a whole new corporation is involved with Star Wars, that's going to be a game changer too. 

Doesnt Disney own the Muppets too? We can finally see a Pigs in Space/Star Wars cross over! 
Oh yeah and, BRAINS!!! *Bites Lando aka Rob infecting him with zombieness* 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
if ignoring canon means ignoring things like Luke falling to the dark side (which I pretend never happened) and Palpatine getting cloned, then it's a good thing.

i kind of like the fact that the skywalker line tip toes on the line of good and evil, and struggles w/ the balance.
 a task somewhat prophesied to the skywalker lineage, "to bring balance to the force," either knowingly or not. they level the playing field and/or make an opposing side stronger, forcing the other to grow stronger, effecting the force (as it pertains to that galaxy, and it's inhabitants) as a whole.

idk, disney could screw this up, or make it something even better, depending on the way they do things. this being something so many value as a part of their childhood (etc and so on,) i don't think they'll just fluff this off to the animated sequel/musical team. disney knows how to market nostalgia, just look at there propaganda just inside disney world, it's like pleasant brain washing to make you a happy and content six year old (granted a paying one.)
in the course of my life, disney has never failed on a project, so long as they bring their A-Game (not to their targeted audience,) and i don't see them dropping the ball on something that could produce so much negative press if they fail.
$4billion+ yeah, i don't think the're messing around. i just hope the target audience isn't the same as it was for the clone wars animated series. i wan't some drama, show me the passions and pain of a galaxy far far away, not some dry generalization (like in episode III,) and i can't stress enough attention to detail, and the time to let that detail emerge into something epic. some of the best parts of the original trilogy are slow, and emphasize the emotion of the characters involved.
new episodes should be earning film awards, not just increasing R2D2 popcycle sales

Doesnt Disney own the Muppets too? We can finally see a Pigs in Space/Star Wars cross over!

Well, it's been done already.  But, yeah, it can finally get the cinematic treatment it deserves, not to mention the comics, novels and animated series...

Oh yeah and, BRAINS!!! *Bites Lando aka Rob infecting him with zombieness* 

BRAIIINS...works every time...

Here's a question: does anyone know how much input Disney has in the making of a Pixar film? I have a feeling that Disney will treat Lucasfilm in the same way they treat Pixar. Lucas himself says in one of the interviews that he's handing the reins over to Kathleen Kennedy, not Bob Iger. It may be that Disney will mostly just let Kathy and her team at Lucasfilm do their own thing with minimal interference.

~ David G. Allen

on a positive note:
it would be cool if they got studio ghibli to do a movie/series on some unknown heroine, like a young scoundrel starship racer in the kessel run (and other circuts) she could even be a replica droid of someones daughter long dead, and have comic relief of her kicking around her serv-o-droids, calling them "base models" all the time. lol
just a fun thought :p 
Here's a question: does anyone know how much input Disney has in the making of a Pixar film? I have a feeling that Disney will treat Lucasfilm in the same way they treat Pixar. Lucas himself says in one of the interviews that he's handing the reins over to Kathleen Kennedy, not Bob Iger. It may be that Disney will mostly just let Kathy and her team at Lucasfilm do their own thing with minimal interference.

That's the sense I get.  I forget the article, website or video interview I saw, and the exact language, but it said something to the effect that Kathleen Kennedy would be in charge of the Star Wars operations at Disney. 
I'd just like to say that I'm excited and I have high hopes and I don't care what era its in or if they (and they will) replace the actors. Based on the Avengers alone, I know this is going to be $&#**% awesome!

EDIT: And a new rpg would be great! 
RIP Kit Fisto When your using CL 18 Stormtroopers, it might be time to roll up a new campaign. I think I may be the last person on the planet who doesn't think zombies are the coolest things ever... [spoiler]I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
[\spoiler]
EDIT: And a new rpg would be great! 

Ummm....there already is a new RPG.

And another one wouldn't hurt.
I am Blue/White
[\spoiler]
Okay I will have to agree. Wink
Yes, the Avengers was a huge hit. John Carter, not so much. Disney can and does drop the ball from time to time, and I fully expect that some disappointing Star Wars movies will come out of this. Maybe not the initial ones that Lucas will still be heavily involved with, but sooner or later there's going to be a View to a Kill stinker if they plan on releasing a new SW film every couple of years just too keep the ticket sales flowing.
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
Disney can and does drop the ball from time to time,

Pirates of the Carribean comes to mind for a multi-part movie that ended up imploding on itself. The first one was ok, the second one so-so, the 3rd was garbage and the I only saw parts of the fourth and it looked like total garbage. That is the way of movie sequels.

I also think that time was not on Georges side, he's been looking for someone to make these movies for him for years. Peter Jackson was rumoured to be directing a new Star Wars movie at one point. Lucas has said alot of different things as the fan base turned on him and the reality of telling the star wars story became unrealistic for him to do in his life-time.