Return to Ravnica draft 3!

486 posts / 0 new
Last post
As much as I'd love to pick that Bomb up first pick, I'd lead more towards Stab Wounds.  Are we playing re-draft or not?

If not, I'd take Niv for My collection. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Niv is pretty bomby, not one of the better ones though.

I'm in the habit of taking bombs.  Bombs tend to make for good decks so I'll toss my vote there.

Stab wound is solid though.

Niv
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Niv is silly awesome. Take it.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Niv-Mizzet, DracogeniusVitu-Ghazi Guildmage and Stab Wound are all great cards. The color of Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius are much more closed and Izzet is the weakest guild, but...who cares, it is just the 1st pick. Even though it may not be used eventually, I would take a rish to pick it.

If there is no Slime Molding in this pack, Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage will be also a nice choice. As for Stab Wound, it performs well but not strong enough than Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius or Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage.

So Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius  would be my choice.
Get out of here, Golgari is the weakest guild. Izzet is a solid 3rd-4th. Niv Mizzet. Stab wound is great but Niv-Mizzet is a real bomb.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
First of all, greed demands we take Niv. Second of all, we can even try to justify it. The pack is loaded with green/black/golgari cards, which we can let our neighbors fight over.  We probably will also wheel dispel or paralysis.
Niv Mizzet is a bomb, and a good first pick. As LongWalrus mentions, there is a good chance Paralyzing Grasp will wheel.
Niv Mizzet. If it wasn't in the pack I'd  pick the guildmage over the stab wound. In fact, I think it's pretty close between the dragon and the guildmage, but the dragon is a real bomb and I don't see how we can pass it.
I've had nothing but good luck playing Izzet decks with Niv Mizzet.
Izzet is underrated - Niv for me
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
I am not a huge fan but Niv is a big freaking dragon. That's not a bad thing.
Let's take Niv
Niv
nivvin

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Niv-Mizzet it is.
niv-mizzet easily, but this is a pretty strong pack.
Niv. Bomb's a bomb.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Light pack, looks like someone took a common from it too, Stab wound maybe?

IRL, since the pack is light enough snag the tomb.

Otherwise, it's chain-walker, runewing, backlash and vassal to stay on color.  Judgement or Healer if we don't.

Chain-walk go for aggressive Izzet with spell backup midgame and Genius to end.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
I'm going to call Runewing on this one. Evasion is good. So is drawing cards.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Weak pack. I like Runewing here as well.
I don't like that 2 toughness for the walker. I will go with an evasive 2 toughness with the Runewing.
Chainwalker for me.  2 drops are hard to get for Izzet (only Frostburn and the Goblin dude spring to mind) and I would take these over 4 drops as I don't want to find myself dead before I draw Niv.
Yeah, I'm sure you guys are passing the Overgrown Tomb...
Chainwalker

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Chainwalker, in an FNM keep draft I would take the tomb though because this pack is meh.
Chainwalker.  Izzet decks, in my experience, tend to be tempo-oriented, and getting enough good 2-3 drops is really imporant.  Runewing is mediocre, lots of the time it's just a wind drake.

This is what I was thinking, Chainwalker.
Runewing second? That's not a good proposition. Chainwalker is many times better than that bird.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I like the concept behind Runewing, but have found it terrible in practice. My vote goes to Chainwalker.
Runewing

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Well obviously the card we actually take is tomb. But for the sake of discussion, the correct pick here for an izzet deck is Chainwalker.
I like the concept behind Runewing, but have found it terrible in practice. My vote goes to Chainwalker.

This is what I've experienced. Chainwalker.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I also vote Chainwalker.

Rules Advisor

easy chainwalker here.
I'll say Essence Backlash, even though I see it won't make it. It's in the color combination we're presumably aiming for, and it would be nasty against the bomb we just drafted.
Yeah, I'm sure you guys are passing the Overgrown Tomb...

Let's say for the purposes of all drafts from here on in that we are doing box drafts in which the winner picks the rare first.

Chainwalker. I can't seem to help but draft Izzet decks, and I prefer the aggressive style backed up by Guttersnipe reach. Or you know, Niv Mizzet.
I'm also looking at Essence Backlash.  With the potential for other bombs out there, damage and counterspell in a single card is really good.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

chainwalker
My instinct was Runewing (I like cards that replace themselves), but am convinced to switch to Chainwalker just for an easy 2 drop (although Frostburn Weird would have been nicer).