Critique my new Black Vampires?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, I orginally posted this in the New & Returning Players forum  but was suggested to repost this in here. This deck is my third deck, and the first where I didn't just throw a bunch of commons together and saw what happened, so, as they say "be tough, but not too tough".

The deck's main idea is to get out strong creatures like Vampire Nocturnus, Bloodline Keeper, etc and continuously spawn an endless supply of beefed up tokens (using the Bloodline Keeper) and stuff like Vampire Nighthawks and Bloodghasts. Pretty simple, eh?

This deck is almost certainly not legal in competitive Magic, because I play with a small group of friends and we don't really care about what cards you use.  

Now, I can't remember the neat code that makes the deck viewable card by card, and I don't wish to autocard each card, but eh, I'll do it.

Here goes:

Creatures:

x3 Vampire Nocturnus 
Kalastria Highborn  
Mephidross Vampire  
Necropolis Regent 
Blood Artist  
Captivating Vampire  
x2 Vampire Hexmage  
x3 Bloodghast
x4 Vampire Nighthawk 
Anowon, the Ruin Sage   
x3 Bloodline Keeper 
Bloodlord of Vaasgoth 
Chancellor of the Dross 
Demon of Death's Gate 
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet 
Nirkana Revenant 

Enchantments:

Yawgmoth's Bargain 
Sanguine Bond 
x2 Mark of the Vampire 

Sorcery:

Blood Tribute 
Tendrils of Agony
Sorin's Vengeance 
x4 Demonic Tutor
x4 Dark Ritual

Instant:

Tendrils of Corruption    
x4 Victim of Night
x2 Undying Evil

Artifact:

Skullclamp

Land:

x2 Lake of the Dead  
x21 Swamp  

Card total: 72 cards

What I'm looking for, folks, is suggestions to cut down on the card amount, if cutting down is needed in your opinions. If you can suggest cards for my deck that performs better then the cards I've chosen, feel free to share.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Hopefully I'm not the only one to respond in this thread but I will try to detail a little more about what I think should be cut to get down to 60 cards. With 72 cards and only 23 lands even a deck with dark ritual might struggle to cast all of your high CMC spells. I am curious to know how it has performed up to this point amongst your play group and what the weaknesses are in your estimation based on game play experience. Here is a potential list that I might use

Lands 23
21 swamp
2 lake of the dead

Creatures 20
4x bloodghast
2x vampire hexmage
2x kalastria highborn
3x vampire nighthawk
1x captivating vampire
3x vampire nocturnus
2x bloodline keeper
1x anowon, the ruin sage
1x nirkana revenant

Other 17
4x demonic tutor
1x yawgmoth's bargain
4x dark ritual
4x bad moon
1x necropotence
1x skullclamp
2x consume spirit

Alternatively if you play a lot of multiplayer then I would go with more of a focus on the bigger spells and the sanguine bond/blood tribute combo which is actually pretty good in multiplayer but not really very good in 1 vs 1 games.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Now i run vampires myself im not saying im the best at them but i do decent but the first thing id say is we need to cut this down to 60 cards you want to get the good cards out fast and the more cards in the deck the slower it would happen. The next thing i would say is that while you have alot of cool vamps on the list your mana cost is just way to high i would serious drop just about any vamp with over a 4 mana cost again reason being is speed.
you will def want to have 4x vampire nighthawk and 4x bloodghast blood artist and kalastria highborn can be decent combo with the bloodghast. Keep nocturnus and captivating vampires and look into Gatekeeper of Malakir now the hard part for vamps is finding 1 drops to toss in becuase there are very few in the vamp world ones i know of are Pulse Tracker and Vampire Lacerator i would also say keep hexmages mabey toss them in sideboard however and bloodline keeper is good imo.
As for your other spells chants etc.. i will admit at first i too thought sanguine bond and blood tribute or sorins vengence was just a amazing idea i figured out however it was not what i thought it to be with the amount of mana you need to pull that combo off you probly should be killing your oppent by the time you can get it or they will kill you. I would recomend useing more discard / kill spells this will be your best way of keeping your oppent doing nothing and getting rid of they combos so you can get your vamps hitting them hard. stuff like Doomblade Duress Distress Surgical Extraction ect......

This is my opinion on what you should do hope somthing i said helps and good to see another vamp user out there good luck
So first off, I'd LOVE an environment where I could play 4 Demo Tutors. Even my casual groups abide by good old vintage banned/restrict lists.

Need a bit more info to give much advice. Vampires are very differnt decks multiplayer vs. 1-on-1. Looks like multi-player.

But I can offer a couple of things. I agree with everyone else. Get your self down closer to 60 cards. Or at the very least, add some land. To get yourself down to 60ish cards, I'd get rid of some of the big CMC cards. Chancellor of the Dross is too much of a longshort that you'll get one in your opening hand. Not worth the trouble. Mephidross Vampire should go as well. All of what you want to keep are Vampires already, and the other ability is cool, but kinda win-more by the time he comes out. I love this guy in certain decks with non-vamps, but here, trimming down to 60 cards is a better option than having him there. (Or, add Bitterblossom. You should see the look on ppl's faces when I drop 'Blossom out of my VAMPIRE deck.) Demon of Death's Gate, same thing. Favor less cards in the deck.

I miss Malakir Bloodwitch in this list. ESP running Sanguine Bond. "You take 4, you take 4, YOU take 4, oh yeah, YOU take 4, I'll gain 16, AND YOU take 16, g'night." Too classic in a multi-player game, and they are cheap $.

Do you have the mana base to splash red? Not much, just a bit for things like Stromkirk Captain (first strike Nighthawks are awesome), and some removal like Dreadbore or more economically Terminate. Opens you up to Vein Drinker as well, which is not a bad card to run as a one-of for some creature removal.

Here's an idea for a mono-black deck that somewhat follows what I think you're trying to focus on and would be lots of fun in multi-player.

2x Guul Draz Assassin
3x Gatekeeper of Malakir
2x Kalastria Highborn
3x Vampire Nighthawk
3x Vampire Nocturnus
3x Bloodline Keeper/Lord of Lineage
3x Malakir Bloodwitch
2x Anowon, the Ruin Sage
1x Necropolis Regent
1x Butcher of Malakir

2x Liliana Vess

4x Dark Ritual
3x Feast of Blood
3x Go for the Throat
3x Sanguine Bond
2x Blood Tribute

2x Lake of the Dead
20x Swamp

It'll capitalize on the Sanguine Bond enchantment, give you a good bit of creature removal, and there's a LOT of synergy amongst cards here. If it were me, I'd prolly ditch the 4 Dark Rits in a multi-player game and run 2 Eldrazi Monuments and 2 Damnations also. If you have Mutavaults, run them. They work GREAT for Feast of Blood and Malakir Bloodwitch.

Now, if you can run a red splash or play mostly 1-on-1, that's a coupel of WAY different deck lists.

Enjoy

Hopefully I'm not the only one to respond in this thread but I will try to detail a little more about what I think should be cut to get down to 60 cards. With 72 cards and only 23 lands even a deck with dark ritual might struggle to cast all of your high CMC spells. I am curious to know how it has performed up to this point amongst your play group and what the weaknesses are in your estimation based on game play experience. Here is a potential list that I might use

Lands 23
21 swamp
2 lake of the dead

Creatures 20
4x bloodghast
2x vampire hexmage
2x kalastria highborn
3x vampire nighthawk
1x captivating vampire
3x vampire nocturnus
2x bloodline keeper
1x anowon, the ruin sage
1x nirkana revenant

Other 17
4x demonic tutor
1x yawgmoth's bargain
4x dark ritual
4x bad moon
1x necropotence
1x skullclamp
2x consume spirit

Alternatively if you play a lot of multiplayer then I would go with more of a focus on the bigger spells and the sanguine bond/blood tribute combo which is actually pretty good in multiplayer but not really very good in 1 vs 1 games.

Thanks for the help again, man

The deck has preformed rather averagely. It has games where I'm pumping out tokens and Bloodghasts, Vampire Nocturnus', etc.  and I'm having a good mana base. Other games I'm struggling to find a Vampire Nocturnus/Bloodline Keeper, or I can't find my Dark Rits so I can cast my higher cmc spells.

The suggestions above are great, and I've made some suggestions as recommended, but I have a question:

Could you explain Necropotence to me? It's got me quite confused.

Anyways, thanks. I'll get to the other posters in a sec.

with so many swamps i would run cabal coffers
necropotence is essentially the same thing as yawgmoth's bargain except it delays when the cards go into your hand until the end of your turn. On the other hand it is only 3 mana while yawgmoth's bargain is 6 mana.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I played Necropotence in place of Sign in Blood in my Vampire deck at our tribal games last night, and it completely rocks. What a difference. Vamps won all but one game (6-1, 3 matches vs Soldiers, Elves, and exalted Birds) they came up in, and I attribute most of them to the card advantage I got out of the Necro.