rebelion

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
me and a couple of my friends just started a game, i think we it was originaly supposed to be a play-test or something but after a while our DM (who has played for along time) had to convert rules from a previos addition.
Here is why. our quest was simple go to "the caves of chaos" and kill all the monsters. some captain was going to pay us but after a little while we dicided to take a different corse of action, start a rebelion and take over the country we were origionaly hired by.
we have gatherd a few towns as followers and killed some local baron who was riding with a small guard, but now we dont want to be crushed so im asking you guys "What should i do" 
this is my first post in this forum so im not sure exactly how it works. 
any help would be appriciated 
kimba 
me and a couple of my friends just started a game, i think we it was originaly supposed to be a play-test or something but after a while our DM (who has played for along time) had to convert rules from a previos addition.
Here is why. our quest was simple go to "the caves of chaos" and kill all the monsters. some captain was going to pay us but after a little while we dicided to take a different corse of action, start a rebelion and take over the country we were origionaly hired by.
we have gatherd a few towns as followers and killed some local baron who was riding with a small guard, but now we dont want to be crushed so im asking you guys "What should i do" 
kimba 

Without a lot more information, I'm honestly not sure. Best I could recommend would be setting up a base of operations that is going to be very hard to find, very easy to get to if you know where it is beforehand, and very easy to defend with only a few people, against a large army. I will also point out, that if you're going to start a revolution, you need to be prepared to be crushed. Never do anything you aren't prepared to live with, or die with.
kimba 

Having dealt with an incited some rebellions in my day, you are going to be inclined to think that setting up a base of operations is a good idea. It isn't. It just makes you easier to find. Instead, go mobile. Move. A lot.

A rebellion is something that takes a long time and it has a lot of small steps along the way. Big government structures are slow to react to small things...because it can go under their notice and be lost in the shuffle. Use that to your advantage. If you push BIG you will get big push back and you aren't prepared for that. If you want to see it done right, look to the Cobra organization in comic books...either the Marvel run (a classic that stands as one of the best comic series ever published thanks to the brilliance of Larry Hama) or even some of the new stuff from IDW. You need to insinuate into the structure of what you are seeking to undermine. Get eyes and ears everywhere you can. Information becomes power at this point.

Let your DM know how you plan to go about it too. Let him know you want to approach this in a gradual way instead of trying a wreckless "all in" strategy. This will help him understand how you guys are gonna go about things and what you're looking to do.

Also, take advantage of the existing structure...if there is an evil guard captain that isn't friendly towards your goal then look under him...undermine him from inside. Bad bosses generally have angry underlings and its entirely probably one will be sympathetic to your cause. Position that person..make them a hero...then its time for the guard captain to have a little accident...and then bam! your friendly guard is now a friendly guard captain. You just went from -1 to +1 in one fell swoop.

Hope this sorta stuff helps.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

Having dealt with an incited some rebellions in my day, you are going to be inclined to think that setting up a base of operations is a good idea. It isn't. It just makes you easier to find. Instead, go mobile. Move. A lot.

Or that. Come to think of it this was the reason why Spartacus failed and why Pancho succeeded.

thanks for the help i like the idea of going guerrilla
here is some more details on our sitiuation
the kingdom has a feudal system
the land we are in belongs to someone we call "the duke" he has divided all his land to about a dosen barons 
each baron has a castle and controls several villages and maybe a town
the barons have privit armys of about 70 men and the towns have small guard forcec too
we hired some local bandit grouds. (the villagers like the bandits the towns people do not)
the villages do not seem to like the barons or the duke but the people in charge of the towns do
we have rallied four villages and have about 100 men
one thing that is good is that there is a manditory military service for the villages (i am not sure about the towns) this means that most of our troops have equipment and kind of know how to fight
another thing that is worth to note is that the duke has a part of the imperial army 3000-5000 men (luckily most of them are on the border fighting the orc clans )plus what ever privit forces he has 

if you would like to no any thing else please just ask
thank you for taking an intrest 
ps please excuse my my writing i am one of those people who need spell check 
I haven't lead or responded to any rebellions in the past, but I do have a few thoughts.

Are any of the barons sympathetic to your cause? If you could sway one or two, then it could give you a boost in man-power, and also some political strength. There is the risk that your baron might take advantage of your hard work to seize power for himself, but by the time that happens, you can probably get an infiltrator in his staff to warn you of his betrayal, and possibly take him out if necessary.

You say that the army is fight the orc clans. You could potentially work with the orcs to weaken the Duke's military strength. If the orc clans mistrust each other, working to unify them under a single leader would both help them fight the imperial army, and also earn that orc leader's trust. Promise to give them some land when you take power, then you could perhaps establish trading, or an alliance against common enemies to help stabilise the relationship. 

If the villagers dislike the regime, then it should be pretty easy to draw them to your rebellion. It could be beneficial if they don't rebel immediately, but rather wait for your word. Multiple villages rebelling against their barons at the same time are much harder to deal with than one after the other. If you draw too much attention too early, then you'll just get destroyed before you can do anything. That said, a few high-visibilty actions (killing the duke's right-hand man, pulling down his new statue in the capital, burning down the imperial armory etc.) can potentially bring a lot of support. 

Are any of those useful to you? 
run far far far far far far far far far far sequesterd away
this kind of thing never works im certain that it sounded good on the drawing board but you will be asphyxiated, annihilated and abraded. 
you best chance ensconce and adumbrate until the storm transpires all the while aggregating from the surrounding communitys than when lease expected stab some high official in the esophagus.
if any thing through out this tome goes alude move to another plain and change your name to mat 
Tell your DM to download or buy some scenarios and run something with a real plot.  Caves of Chaos/Keep on the Borderlands was stuff we thought was cool in the 1980's..once you've had your fill of kill monsters, take a look at maybe something with a bit more plot ;)  (just a suggestion..no right or wrong way to enjoy the game..usually ;)

jh

Gamer Chiropractor - Hafner Chiropractic 305 S. Kipling st,Suite C-2, Lakewood, Co 80226 hafnerchiropractic.com

Tell your DM to download or buy some scenarios and run something with a real plot.  Caves of Chaos/Keep on the Borderlands was stuff we thought was cool in the 1980's..once you've had your fill of kill monsters, take a look at maybe something with a bit more plot ;)  (just a suggestion..no right or wrong way to enjoy the game..usually ;)

jh

this is a play test for D&D next, all there is in the game so far is the caves of choas. my party decided to go against the play test guide lines and rebel against a kingdom that there where no rules for. the DM just rolled with it and made things up himself.
Sign In to post comments