Thief in the Night - Your Campaign Problems Created

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Think you got a good campaign and perfect plot hooks in place all ready to persuade the PCs into doing your carefully placed good deeds or vile acts? Well, post'em here and I'll steal the rug out from under your feet and leave you sinking in quicksand.

...yup.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
Think you got a good campaign and perfect plot hooks in place all ready to persuade the PCs into doing your carefully placed good deeds or vile acts? Well, post'em here and I'll steal the rug out from under your feet and leave you sinking in quicksand.

...yup.

Hmm interesting.

Just to clarify then, the intent of the thread is to poke holes in what DMs might think are, otherwise, infallible hooks?

Sorry, just not sure. Lemme know what you mean...cuz this thread seems like it could be primed for quality stuff.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

...yup.

Hmm interesting.

Just to clarify then, the intent of the thread is to poke holes in what DMs might think are, otherwise, infallible hooks?

Sorry, just not sure. Lemme know what you mean...cuz this thread seems like it could be primed for quality stuff.

Basically. Kind of like when a player just rips your campaign to shreds with clever acts you didn't see coming.

Also, it's one part parody. ;) 
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/

...yup.

Hmm interesting.

Basically. Kind of like when a player just rips your campaign to shreds with clever acts you didn't see coming.

Well played indeed then.

Hopefully then, like all good parody, it can start a genuine dialogue far more interesting than the attitude it is lambasting.

In the interest of that, I'll throw out the first VERY common hook I see DM's invoke all the time...

The PCs are asked to deliver an important, dangerous artifact from point A to point B. Upon reaching point B (with all the trials and tribulations the DM has oh-so-lovingly crafted in between) the hook can continue.

Since this is your thread, and I know you have good stuff to say, I'll let you have at that juicy, common little trope. As Lewis Black might say...where might this go awry.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

The party is a group of sojourners and they return to their comparatively peaceful and not-very-well defended hometown only to find that a group of soldiers that belong to one of two warring nations have raided it, taken most of the food, wounded or killed most everyone, and have taken off with what supplies and healthy villagers that remained, as spoils. One of the people they know/trust is still there, wounded but alive, and he/she asks the party to go after the raiders.

...yup.

Hmm interesting.

Well played indeed then.

Hopefully then, like all good parody, it can start a genuine dialogue far more interesting than the attitude it is lambasting.

In the interest of that, I'll throw out the first VERY common hook I see DM's invoke all the time...

The PCs are asked to deliver an important, dangerous artifact from point A to point B. Upon reaching point B (with all the trials and tribulations the DM has oh-so-lovingly crafted in between) the hook can continue.

Since this is your thread, and I know you have good stuff to say, I'll let you have at that juicy, common little trope. As Lewis Black might say...where might this go awry.

PC to Questgiver: "I want more *insert reward here*. Otherwise, you can take your *insert delivery here* and shove it" *roll for diplomacy after arguing insues* *potential call for fighting to break out if failed or guards called* *roll initiative*

While at point A: "I sold the package to get the extra gold needed for my sword"

While at point B: "You're going to give us something extra for this, right?"

During travel: "I used all my *insert resource here*, we should stop and rest, disregard the timer on our *insert delivery here*" 

Plot Hook Continues: "Wait, I was carrying around a *insert powerful mcguffin here* THIS WHOLE TIME? I'm going to steal it back"; *PCs kill important NPC*; *PC solves problem with spell gained during travels/level-up, ruining three years of build-up and hard work on the DM's part* 

More specific examples garner more specific problems. :D 
The party is a group of sojourners and they return to their comparatively peaceful and not-very-well defended hometown only to find that a group of soldiers that belong to one of two warring nations have raided it, taken most of the food, wounded or killed most everyone, and have taken off with what supplies and healthy villagers that remained, as spoils. One of the people they know/trust is still there, wounded but alive, and he/she asks the party to go after the raiders.

Ooh thats a good one too AND a classic.

PC 1: I'm going to send my uncle in warring nation 1 a message about nation 2 attacking an outpost and fan the flames so I can take advantage during the confusion.

PC 2: I'm going to send my hawk familiar out to scout for the kidnapped village.

PC 3: I'm going to use mass teleport to bring them back.

PC 4: Yeah, I'm level 21 and during character creation, I bought a ring of wish, I use it to return things to normal.

Edit: Other possibilities include the PCs killing the sole survivor or demanding cash up front to rescue the village. 

It's really only a thinly veiled reference to Crazy Horse's discovery of the Bluewater massacre, but thanks.

PC 1: I'm going to send my uncle in warring nation 1 a message about nation 2 attacking an outpost and fan the flames so I can take advantage during the confusion.

PC 2: I'm going to send my hawk familiar out to scout for the kidnapped village.

PC 4: Yeah, I'm level 21 and during character creation, I bought a ring of wish, I use it to return things to normal.

Edit: Other possibilities include the PCs killing the sole survivor or demanding cash up front to rescue the village. 

Oh bollocks. They made short work of that.

It's really only a thinly veiled reference to Crazy Horse's discovery of the Bluewater massacre, but thanks.

Oh bollocks. They made short work of that.

Well, feel free to come up with solutions on your own. I'm only here to poke holes, after all. ^_^

Can I try poking holes in the holes?  All in fun, righto?

PC1- your message is easily intercepted by agents that oppose you since the courier you hired to run the transmit is a mere 3rd string greenhorn and your enemies employ powerful npcs.

PC2- You are aware we're in the territory of a vile nest of (insert flying predator)?  Are you sure you want to risk your familiar by asking it to fly through their hunting grounds?

PC3- How unfortunate that the evil lichlord that rules over your opposition is able to shield his stronghold with anti-magic defenses. 

PC4- Alrighty, I'll even give you the time to think over your wording on this wish.  Let's hope you don't run into any tragic side-effects. 

The PCs have a huge vested interest in a kingdom that they liberated from draconic rule (one is the ruler, another the spiritual leader, the rest just have a good thing going). Suddenly they get a message from the coastguard or whatever that a fleet of warships has been spotted on the horizon, bearing the flag of an overseas kingdom that is still being ruled by dragons. They're coming to make war!

PC1- your message is easily intercepted by agents that oppose you since the courier you hired to run the transmit is a mere 3rd string greenhorn and your enemies employ powerful npcs.

PC2- You are aware we're in the territory of a vile nest of (insert flying predator)?  Are you sure you want to risk your familiar by asking it to fly through their hunting grounds?

PC3- How unfortunate that the evil lichlord that rules over your opposition is able to shield his stronghold with anti-magic defenses. 

PC4- Alrighty, I'll even give you the time to think over your wording on this wish.  Let's hope you don't run into any tragic side-effects. 

You're the DM, if you want to come up with solutions feel free. Otherwise, see my post about only poking holes. I don't care how you deal with it.
The PCs have a huge vested interest in a kingdom that they liberated from draconic rule (one is the ruler, another the spiritual leader, the rest just have a good thing going). Suddenly they get a message from the coastguard or whatever that a fleet of warships has been spotted on the horizon, bearing the flag of an overseas kingdom that is still being ruled by dragons. They're coming to make war!

The PCs have dragon orbs.

Next! 
The PCs inherit a goblin horde which they can't use in public unless they solve the oppression of the goblin race using said army to march on the human capital
The PCs inherit a goblin horde which they can't use in public unless they solve the oppression of the goblin race using said army to march on the human capital

The rogue blackmails the leaders of the city to prevent a war and manipulates the political system from within to stop oppression.

You're the DM, if you want to come up with solutions feel free. Otherwise, see my post about only poking holes. I don't care how you deal with it.

Sorry.  No offense guy...

Sorry.  No offense guy...

If I'm ever offended, you'll know it. ;)
Alright, got a new one. While politics are occurring, a doppleganger is picking off key members of the goblin hoarde, seemingly with no pattern. The players will have to find the pattern and take out the assassin before the hoarde is too demoralised to go on.
They're goblins; who cares?
The players control the goblin hoarde, so they're pretty invested n keeping them alive long enough to be useful
Alright, got a new one. While politics are occurring, a doppleganger is picking off key members of the goblin hoarde, seemingly with no pattern. The players will have to find the pattern and take out the assassin before the hoarde is too demoralised to go on.

First, let me state my apologies for not having seen this. I haven't been around on the forums much lately because of work. So, because my schedule sucks right now, let me just state that for the time being, this will have to be the last answer I can give.

Players bypass the pattern solving by rounding the goblins into one area and using magic wards to reveal dopplegangers true forms. Causing your campaign to be cut in half, time wise.