White Artifact Ramp, Avacyn

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
To be honest this is my FAVORITE of my five decks...  Consequentially this is probably the worse of my decks.  I really thought that this deck would be better than it ended up, but it is still fun, no infi combos of any kind, just a straight smash em/wrath deck.  I know about the interaction between Worldslayer & Avacyn, Angel of Hope, not interested in running it though.

This deck draws medium amounts of aggro, but almost wholely in the form of artifact destruction.  The number one problem this deck runs into is ****S STEALING MY GENERAL!!!  For reals though, as soon as somebody plays a Gilded Drake or some other steal effect I have very limited ways to cope with it, and being in mono-white I don't have many tutor effects for the answer.

General
Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Creatures (12)
Weathered Wayfarer
Mother of Runes
Stoneforge Mystic
Ethersworn Canonist
Knight of the White Orchid
Kor Cartographer
Academy Rector
Solemn Simulacrum
Sanctum Gargoyle
Stonehewer Giant
Sun Titan
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Artifacts (29 + 2 lands + 3 creatures)
Chrome Mox
Lotus Petal
Mox Diamond
Mox Opal
Mana Crypt
Everflowing Chalice
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Grim Monolith
Coalition Relic
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus
Dreamstone Hedron

Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Sword of Fire and Ice

Mishra's Bauble
Urza's Bauble
Wayfarer's Bauble
Sensei's Divining Top
Scroll Rack
Crucible of Worlds
Sculpting Steel
Nevinyrral's Disk
Memory Jar
Caged Sun
Staff of Nin
Planar Portal
Akroma's Memorial

Enchantments (6)
Land Tax
Aura of Silence
Prison Term
Oblivion Ring
Moat
True Conviction

Sorceries (10)
Steelshaper's Gift
Gift of Estates

Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Wrath of God
Final Judgment
Planar Cleansing
Austere Command
Akroma's Vengeance
All is Dust

Instants (3)
Enlightened Tutor
Tithe
Return to Dust

Lands (38)
Ancient Den
Darksteel Citadel
Arid Mesa
Flooded Strand
Marsh Flats
Windswept Heath
Wasteland
Strip Mine
Ancient Tomb
Buried Ruin
Flagstones of Trokair
Hall of the Bandit Lord
High Market
Homeward Path
Inkmoth Nexus
Kor Haven
Maze of Ith
Mistveil Plains
Temple of the False God
Zoetic Cavern
18 Plains

Playtest @ tappedout.net

The EDH Decks - White Artifact Ramp, Avacyn, Angel of Hope Blue Time Stretch, Azami, Lady of Scrolls Black Repeatable Recursion, Balthor the Defiled Red Goblin Gimmicks, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker Green Super Ramp, Azusa, Lost but Seeking

You say it's your weakest deck, but white is probably the only color I'd ever consider going mono with in EDH.  White can handle just about anything!  If people stealing Avacyn is a big problem, you just need more stuff to keep her.  Champion's Helm and even Mask of Avacyn could help in addition to the footwear you already have.  Also, one of my favorite tutors in my mono-white deck is Mangara's Tome.  There have been a few occasions where I just pulled out five plains just to thin the deck out and bait my opponents' removal.

And with all the board wipes you're running, perhaps Faith's Reward or Second Sunrise just in case Avacyn is indisposed?

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

This deck draws medium amounts of aggro, but almost wholely in the form of artifact destruction.  The number one problem this deck runs into is ****S STEALING MY GENERAL!!!  For reals though, as soon as somebody plays a Gilded Drake or some other steal effect I have very limited ways to cope with it, and being in mono-white I don't have many tutor effects for the answer.

This is the exact reason my Avacyn deck actually has Mikaeus, the Lunarch as a commander. He's a decoy designed to suck up removal spells. And if he's not enough to keep Avacyn safe, I also run Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reya Dawnbringer, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Angel of Jubilation, Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Crovax, Ascendant Hero, and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. There's no shortage of horrid creature effects for opponents to target.

My cheaper creatures are mostly knights with abilites they can share with my angels by using Concerted Effort. Stuff like Mirran Crusader and Paladin en-Vec.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

You say it's your weakest deck, but white is probably the only color I'd ever consider going mono with in EDH.  White can handle just about anything!  If people stealing Avacyn is a big problem, you just need more stuff to keep her.  Champion's Helm and even Maskof Avacyn could help in addition to the footwear you already have.  Also, one of my favorite tutors in my mono-white deck is Mangara's Tome.  There have been a few occasions where I just pulled out five plains just to thin the deck out and bait my opponents' removal.

And with all the board wipes you're running, perhaps Faith's Reward or Second Sunrise just in case Avacyn is indisposed?

Champion's helm doesn't seem horrible, kind of expensive, but that is never the problem with this deck, i'ma playtest it.
mangara's tome seems really iffy to me...  i'm going to think about that card next time i play, see if it would have been a better replacement for something i'm playing

faith's reward might be a good addition to the deck as well, but not because of my own wrath effects (if i have enough to wrath and faiths reward id just cast avacyn instead 95% of the time), just to protect my artifacts... people love to hate them. 

This is the exact reason my Avacyn deck actually has Mikaeus, the Lunarch as a commander. He's a decoy designed to suck up removal spells. And if he's not enough to keep Avacyn safe, I also run Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Reya Dawnbringer, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Angel of Jubilation, Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Crovax, Ascendant Hero, and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. There's no shortage of horrid creature effects for opponents to target.

My cheaper creatures are mostly knights with abilites they can share with my angels by using Concerted Effort. Stuff like Mirran Crusader and Paladin en-Vec.

I mean that is a completely different edh deck, this deck is about hitting an avacyn mid game and putting people on three turn clocks while keeping my board indestructible to the wrath effects going around.  This deck also does land destruction pretty well, that is the second most common win condition.

I would love to run Iona, but since i am mono-white if that became a bribery target i would be completely hosed.  

linvala is good, but she doesn't protect herself very well, doesn't recur with sun titan, not really feeling a spot for her.

reya seems useless with so few creatures.

angel of jubilation shuts down my fetch lands, my high market for response to creature steal and academy rector/solemn, not digging it

akroma... seems good... other than the fact that my general is vastly superior and put's people on a much faster clock.

crovax...  mini elesh norn, not as good

elesh... def in the deck persistent wrath on a creature, love it 

You get the idea by now...  none of those cards are helping the cause of THIS mono white EDH deck, I am sure with mikaeus they might be pertinent, just not here.

The EDH Decks - White Artifact Ramp, Avacyn, Angel of Hope Blue Time Stretch, Azami, Lady of Scrolls Black Repeatable Recursion, Balthor the Defiled Red Goblin Gimmicks, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker Green Super Ramp, Azusa, Lost but Seeking

Gauntlet of Power + Extraplanar Lens for more speed to get Goth Girl out faster.

She's the general of my Angels EDH deck, I don't think you can ever have enough ramp when playing with her as commander. Tuck effects are her worst enemy of course so I run sac outlets to keep her in action.

<----- Loser.

Oh, I get that it is a different deck. Just throwing out the idea of decoys.

Indestructibility and protection is the real theme of my deck, with Avacyn, Transcendent Master, Knight Exemplar, Aegis Angel, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Deathless Angel, Indestructibility, and Akroma plus the various cheap Knights with Protection from this &/or that to pair with Concerted Effort.
I haven't really got to test the deck yet. Each time I play it something happens to cut the game short. Admittedly, one of those 'things' was a guy going off on a long convoluted combo that won him the game. A combo that Linvala, Iona, or the Angel of Jubilation all would have stopped in it's tracks.

As for Iona being bribed.....pick Blue as her target color. Regarding recurring Linvala.....Reya &/or Emeria, the Sky Ruin do that nicely.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Some kind of Hexproof on you can really hamper a number of cards.
Imperial Mask, Leyline of Sanctity, Spirit of the Hearth, and Witchbane Orb.
Oh, I get that it is a different deck. Just throwing out the idea of decoys.

Indestructibility and protection is the real theme of my deck, with Avacyn, Transcendent Master, Knight Exemplar, Aegis Angel, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Deathless Angel, Indestructibility, and Akroma plus the various cheap Knights with Protection from this &/or that to pair with Concerted Effort.
I haven't really got to test the deck yet. Each time I play it something happens to cut the game short. Admittedly, one of those 'things' was a guy going off on a long convoluted combo that won him the game. A combo that Linvala, Iona, or the Angel of Jubilation all would have stopped in it's tracks.

As for Iona being bribed.....pick Blue as her target color. Regarding recurring Linvala.....Reya &/or Emeria, the Sky Ruin do that nicely.

I can't pick a color for iona when it is being pulled out of my deck unfortunately.  I'll just say this right now...  if you are mono white and you are running Iona in your deck not as a general, you are setting yourself up for failure in the absolute worst kind of way.  If you face any halfway intelligent opponent running a deck with bribery you lose every time.  It's like blightsteel collosus, but better against you.    

I used to run emeria, but citpt lands are harsh with this deck, and it never recurred a single creature in like 10 or 15 edh games, just wasn't working for me.

As far as stopping combos, combos happen, this deck intends to disrupt with wraths, if those don't get through it pretty much is what it is, every edh has it's shortcoming in some aspect...  granted I tend to play very low single target removal in my edh decks.

The thing is that for me if i want to get all of these awesome creatures, it means that I have to cut a ton of my artifact ramp, then when avacyn hits board she isn't nearly as devestating.

Linvala is good, and in many people's rendition of this exact same deck I am sure it would find a home, I'd rather run a thran dynamo though.

Well if racing To Avacyn is your goal, you need Pilgrim's Eye and maybe Eternal Dragon.

Absolute Grace and Absolute Law can give wide spread Protection from Black and Red. Favor of the Mighty supports Avacyn with her high manacost.
Glory offers a reusuable protection effect for all your creatures as long it's in the graveyard.
If you are having problems with people stealing Avacyn, then you need to put just a tiny bit of targetted defense in.  Any of the following cards can deal with a stolen indestructible creature, and you can also use them against your opponent's creatures if you need:

Crib SwapDispatchFiend HunterFlickerformGalepowder MageGaze of JusticeIona's JudgmentJourney to NowhereOblivion RingOtherworldly JourneyParallax WavePath to ExilePlanar GuideSwords to Plowshares

I apologize for the run-on card list, but it's been a while since I've posted in a thread and I'm flaking on how to carriage return without having to type the card brackets each time. 
Expedition map can search for Homeward Path or another of your fancy lands (which should include Emeria, the Sky Ruin).