Packet is live!

Download and enjoy before Sandy ruins your fun!

Danny

No pre-gens, just character creation from level 1-10.

Isle of Dread as the adventure, for levels 1-7.

Many new monsters, including dragons! Although accuracy has not changed.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

Maneuvers is new and cool.

Danny

Fly spell, interesting. It prevents the “dropping fireballs on em’ cuz sucks to be you” tactic, but it’s not stopping people from carrying their whole party over walls and... Wait, new spell slot number kind of does though! Ohhhhh, this is interesting. I’m not flipping out like I very well could have, but this is still very tied down compared to 3.5.

Opinions on Fly? I'm going to have to play to see how I feel.

Edit: Oh wait, I didn’t read what concentration means. Ok, maybe they can still chuck some small fire balls.

Fly spell, interesting. It prevents the “dropping fireballs on em’ cuz sucks to be you” tactic, but it’s not stopping people from carrying their whole party over walls and... Wait, new spell slot number kind of does though! Ohhhhh, this is interesting. I’m not flipping out like I very well could have, but this is still very tied down compared to 3.5.

Opinions on Fly? I'm going to have to play to see how I feel.

It's wonderfully limited. And you would have to blow a whole bunch of slots to get your whole party in the air. -- I like it.

Danny

Anyone else glad to see thug axed? I know I am

And burning hands is now a 0 level spells? Sweeet!
My two copper.
Anyone else loving the presentation of Maneuvers as the 'martial spell list'? LOVE IT!

Danny

160 xp for level 2 huh?
I'm also loving the random side mechanics they are stuffing into spells. Like the wind rules with cloudkill, and how it it's heavier than air so it sinks. I love stuff like that.
My two copper.
Anyone else glad to see thug axed? I know I am

And burning hands is now a 0 level spells? Sweeet!

Yup thug was the no brainer best option.

Fear is the Mind Killer

The cleric domains are pretty neat. Five domains, each with a solid hook and examples of potential gods from D&D and mythology. A+

Also check out my books at 5mwd.com/publishingIncluding Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuildinga compilation of my blog series on Worldbuilding.

ANyone notice a lack of 4th ed gods though? Thought that was a bit rough.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Hey, I didn't get an email! What gives?
Reading over the spells list, I can already see the lower damage scaling in action. Cone of Cold, level 5 spell, deals 4d6 damage, half on save. Thats pretty nice for a 60 ft cone in DDN, but that would be a crummy spell in 3.5
My two copper.
The cleric domains are pretty neat. Five domains, each with a solid hook and examples of potential gods from D&D and mythology. A+

Yes, very pleased!

Hey, I didn't get an email! What gives?

I didn't get one either. I assume they stagger the notices so we don't all bombard the server.

Danny

ANyone notice a lack of 4th ed gods though? Thought that was a bit rough.

It's because their base setting is Faerun now instead of Points of Light. Therefore they are going with the FR pantheon.
My two copper.
Whoa, a big one. Cure spells arent touch :P
My two copper.
Anyone else loving the presentation of Maneuvers as the 'martial spell list'? LOVE IT!

It's neat, but it's odd that Deadly Strike and Sneak Attack are identical in effect, yet Sneak Attack still has the advantage limit. That's just silly and glaringly bad. While I'm okay with Sneak Attack as a Maneuvers (as I can see not every rogue wanting to backstab) it should be a damage spike. 

I have a sad about the changes to TWF - that gimps a few players in my game (will likely just port the feat from the last packet). Mage armor is an interesting addition.

Traditions seem pretty cool.

I like some of the feats offered so far.

I am curious about the next incarnation of warlock and sorceror.
Whoa, a big one. Cure spells arent touch :P

That's disappointing.  There goes half the fun of healing.

The metagame is not the game.
So multiattack, where does it say when that can be used by monsters?  I assume as a full round, but I'm not seeing it defined.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

The experience table is pretty damn bumpy.

To next level:
1 160 +320
2 480 +360
3 840 +1080
4 1920 +1200
5 3120 +960
6 4080 +3360
7 7440 +2640
8 10080 +3200
9 13200

It's 1200 more experience to get to 4 to 5 than it was to get from 3 to 4, but 900 more experience to get from 5 to 6 than to get from 4 to 5, and then somehow 3360 more experience to get from 6 to 7 than from 5 to 6.

It's neat, but it's odd that Deadly Strike and Sneak Attack are identical in effect, yet Sneak Attack still has the advantage limit. That's just silly and glaringly bad. While I'm okay with Sneak Attack as a Maneuvers (as I can see not every rogue wanting to backstab) it should be a damage spike. 

Agreed.  Backstab should involve rolling the allocated expertise dice twice and adding the total.  That way it's a bigger spike than deadly strike but more restrictive.

Anyone else find it wierd that feather fall can ONLY be cast as a reaction to falling?
My two copper.
Reduced # of maneuvers, specialties moving further away from Themes - and everything I liked about Themes, the Rogue actually getting less interesting despite more options - egads, I'm just not really a fan of this packet.

Though it's odd to say, I feel like the Cleric and Wizard are the highlights here, for me (though I miss the HP thresholds on spells - just not the Packet2 approach to it).
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Doesn't make a huge difference as oppsed to casting it and then jumping off something.

Elf got changed. THey no longer use the advanatage mechanic and are now trained in spot and listen so they make decent skill monkeys now.

Wizards got d6 hit dice, now matching pathfinder and returning to D&D basic of having Rogue and Wizard hit dice being the same (d4 back then though).

Fear is the Mind Killer

A la carte feats are codified now.

O happy day!
A la carte feats are codified now.

O happy day!

So are a la carte maneuvers (for the Fighter), and "these are just examples that the DM can base other actions on" for the generic Disarm, Grab, Knock Down, and Push actions.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Oh man.
I can see what's going on with the xp table, and it's pretty damn clever.
Spells: 20 pages
Maneuvers: 4 pages

Top level maneuver: Hit one more enemy per CS die.
4th level spells: Polymorph, Teleport, Wall of Fire
5th level spell: Dominate Person

You know, I thought I was joking when I said the developers thought hitting more adjacent enemies was literally equivalent to warping reality. But apparently no, they actually do believe that ****. What the hell. 
What the hell. 

the fighter is a fireball?

What is it?

Fear is the Mind Killer

They greatly changed specialities. The mechanics are showing through a little more in the titles. 

They changed two-weapon fighting, and I'm uncertain if it's a positive change. It removes the big advantage of two-weapon fighting: multiple attack rolls. The prior version wasn't popular because it seemed like less damage, which it kind of was given you rounded down, so even if both attacks hit you might be down a point or two of damage. 

Numerical penalties to two-weapon fighting were never a big deal. If you were doing it, you likely knew the penalties and had done the math. And if you were doing it spontaneously, you were likely double checking numbers anyway to account for using a non-standard weapon.
The current rules, with disadvantage, feels very painful for very little gain. The sole advantage to two-weapon fighting is immunity to most penalties, as you can't have double disadvantage - but at the added cost of never having advantage either.
This seems to defeat the purpose of having easily added sitiational penalties. 

You know, I thought I was joking when I said the developers thought hitting more adjacent enemies was literally equivalent to warping reality. But apparently no, they actually do believe that ****. What the hell. 

Teleporting accross the field and hitting someone with a, litterally, exploding sword strike is "not" a maneuver :P It's magic. No matter how much you practice with a sword, you won't be able to teleport.

Not to mention the devs have 4 editions of vancian spellcasting to call upon. The maneuver mechanic is much newer.
My two copper.

Teleporting accross the field and hitting someone with a, litterally, exploding sword strike is "not" a maneuver :P It's magic. No matter how much you practice with a sword, you won't be able to teleport.

y hello thar non-sequitor.
Recharge mechanic from 4th ed is back. I'm cool with it as it was a good idea in 4th ed (or any edition).

Fear is the Mind Killer

y hello thar non-sequitor.

What's up?
My two copper.

Well, the wizard can dominate twice before they need a rest. A tenth level fighter can hit four people a round every round all day. Or spring attack followed by a whirlwind to smack three critters. Or spring attack then whirlwind against two foes, dropping a deadly strike on one. Every. Single. Round.

Recharge mechanic from 4th ed is back. I'm cool with it as it was a good idea in 4th ed (or any edition).

Agree. I use it in my Pathfinder games as well. 

Where is this new TWF I keep hearing about? I cant seem to locate it.
My two copper.

Agree. I use it in my Pathfinder games as well. 

I actually took that AND the multiple standard actions on bosses from 4e and applied it to pathfinder. Suddenly that bearded devil was MUCH scarrier when it attacked twice in a turn
My two copper.