10/30/2012 SF: "Commander Laws for Public Gatherings"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Is Kokusho, the Evening Star banned only as a Commander?  I was going to add it to my W/B Commander deck but I was told it was banned completely.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
The rules seem fine, except for Rule 2.

1) The rule is indecipherable to me, I am not sure what in the world it even is.

2) My only "barely feasible" guess is that you swap and play Talrand sometimes instead of Venser. Awful idea, since that ruins the entire idea of building around your Commander. Yes, there are 100-card deck ideas that just "need" a Commander, but I usually build around a Commander with a concept. Kaalia is very much like that. Swapping it out for Oros or Tariel seems like a cool idea, but the deck would blow so hard.
@Tap4Mana

Kokusho is only banned as a commander but can be used in your deck.  I ran into this situation with Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary.  I faced several decks that were using him as a general and it was not fun at all.  He finally got banned as a general but then I faced a deck that just switched him out with Omnath, Locus of Mana and kept Rofellos in the deck.  That wasn't a particularly nice game either.

@Senyuno

Rule 2 means that if you go to an event and someone at that event chooses to use Venser as their general before you register your general, you should have a backup (such as Talrand) so that you can still play.

As for me, I always play by rule 1 and expect others to do the same.  I sometimes follow rule 2 but sometimes I just don't have another real option for a general if the deck is very specific.  I follow rule 3 at times, but as some of my cards (such as the only Sol Ring I have) are shared between decks it is somewhat irrelevant.  I don't really follow 4 and 5.  Decks like my UB mill with Szadek as the general and mono black with Sheoldred that has a lot of removal are likely not very fun to play against to anyone.  Because of this, I don't really communicate to people what they are getting into.  However, I haven't run into many situations where my decks thoroughly steamroll other decks.  I don't build hyper-competitive EDH decks.

I answered Selesnya for the poll. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I have powerful commander decks, but I try to avoid infinite combos and unfun stuff. I also avoid most land destruction and discard.

I prefer decks that have a theme to them, instead of piling every good card in those colors together. That is more interesting to me than winning with a goodstuff deck all of the time.

I can play standard or any other type of deck if I want to play to win. When I play Commander, I want to have fun. It reminds me when I was first starting and my buddies and I were playing 200 card decks with 4 or 5 players. The games took forever, but they were always a blast.
Is Kokusho, the Evening Star banned only as a Commander?  I was going to add it to my W/B Commander deck but I was told it was banned completely.

Kokusho was just very recently unbanned as a card (still banned as a Commander). At the time you were told that, there's a good chance it was still banned entirely. 
I don't follow rules 2 and 3. I'm poor and I'm not going to cobble together a bad deck just to appease the people who don't want to play against my main deck. Rule 2 is also part of the reason I chose Maelstrom Wanderer as a general - even if he immediately gets legend ruled I still got tons of value!

I do like the other rules though. Regarding Rule 5, I've seen too many groups get butthurt over players who run mass LD/mono-blue control/Infinite Time Warps.dec and not tell anyone beforehand. If the only decks you have are competitive, I expect you to tell me beforehand, so I can not play with you. I run a couple "unfun" cards like Bribery, Jokulhaups, Temporal Mastery but the overall strategy of my deck is entirely fair.

This whole article seems like an apology to two players who got crushed by his crazy deck.  But it makes a good point that any casual game you play, you should always let your opponent know if your deck is a competitive deck or a fun deck and expect the same information in return. 
@GreenBuster & @Spuuky

Thanks for the clarifications. This is great news for me. Kokusho was one of my favourite cards when it was released, and it works very well in the deck I'm trying to build (which has a strong reanimation theme, so its only slightly less evil than having the Evening Star as a commander).
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)