Quick rules check on keywords and damage types

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say I have a frost weapon and use a weapon power with the fire and necrotic keywords.
The end result is I do cold damage, but what about the keywords?
Need a quick confirmation that the power would have cold, fire and necrotic keywords and deal cold damage.
Thanks.
frost weapons replace all keywords of the damage they do with the cold keyword.  Your power goes from having the fire and necrotic keywords to just having the cold keyword.  Keywords determine the type of damage the attack does, so losing the keywords means it loses that kind of damage as well.  You end up dealing only cold damage.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Thanks Noctaem.
If the power has a keyword that is not damage-related, say charm, I get that it would keep that one, right?
yes, it keeps keywords that are not damage keywords like Charm.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

*Resolved*
--Points awarded to Noctaem--
There is one exception to the damage-type-replacement rule.

If there is the "poison" keyword on the power *and* a non-damage effect, the "poison" keyword remains on the power even if the damage type is changed to not be poison. 

So your "poison" power that slows, when used with a frost weapon, still has the "poison" keyword even though it no longer does poison damage - because the poison is presumed to be the cause of the slowing.

On the other hand, a "poison" power that just does damage, if you use it with a frost weapon, loses the "poison" keyword.

(It isn't really true that the damage-type keywords on the power causes the damage to be typed - it's more the other way around: the type on the damage puts the keyword on the power, and removing the type from the damage takes the keyword off the power. With that one exception.) 

Oh, I'm assuming your frost weapon is turned on... 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Here is your problem buddy, the switch is set to 'evil'