MTG: Deck Builder's toolkit

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
New to the card game, tips about making a deck? I have a ton of the old school magic cards, are those allowed in tournaments and stuff? I have a MTG: Deck Builder's toolkit coming but I have no idea what cards I will be getting.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Also what are the rules about old land cards in a standard deck. I have a holo plains card and would like to put it in the new decks, is it legal for tournaments or no?
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Moving to the New Player Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Also what are the rules about old land cards in a standard deck. I have a holo plains card and would like to put it in the new decks, is it legal for tournaments or no?

Basic lands are legal in every format, but alpha or beta(?) lands need to be in sleeves cause they have a different cut.

Toolkits are a good way to get you started on building a collection but I dont think you could build a deck and take it to any event and get anywhere.

Honestly as a new player I would say just play for a while so you know what your are doing, card interactions is the biggest thing to learn.

As a new player I would watch some youtube videos and learn what deck they are playing and how they use the cards to interact on the board.

I have a hard time teaching new players cause yes the game is easy as hell but its all the little stuff you can do. Once you learn the rules the skys the limits on what you can do.

Good luck and welcome to the game.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
Deckbuilder's toolkit is a great product. The online version does not have the packs and for $5 you get a bunch of useful commons and uncommons. As a fellow new player I strongly recommend both products. Just don't get stuck paying high shipping for the physical version....target and walmart have them (at least in my area).

Here is a breakout for the recent one:

mtgadventures.blogspot.com/2012/07/2013-...

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
enclose the decklist with [deck] [/deck], so the cards convert into links

less singletons, more 4-ofs
the deck as is is way too inconsistent
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thank you i was wondering how to make the cards show up
And i love having decks with multiples of each card but that is all the tool kit gave me to work with, decent for a new deck though right?
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I'd go for 25-26 lands with this list, you want to reach 6-7 mana, and that without ramp

Intangible Virtue seems completely out of place, you don't have any tokens

other than that, decent casual list
don't expect to win any tournaments ;)
Thank you i was wondering how to make the cards show up
And i love having decks with multiples of each card but that is all the tool kit gave me to work with, decent for a new deck though right?

It all depends on who your competition is.

What I would do is build a R/G deck out of your availible cards. That should give you a reasonable matchup between the two decklists. A big reason for this is that if you are playing a friend or something and all of their decklists are finely tuned powerhouse decks they could always borrow one of your decks or vice versa so that the games are close rather than trying to win with this decklist against overpowered vintage decks which some of your opponents may have.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I like green decks but i cant stand red or blue, black and white are my favorite, white for a constant regen and black vampires for power and even more regen with a little card destruction thanks to
Bloodthrone Vampire, im not a total noob with the game ive played alot online and with my old school magic cards

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Hmmm now that im looking through all the cards should i go red/black and make a full vamp deck, or stay black vamps for life drain and white for regen and angels?
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Hmmm now that im looking through all the cards should i go red/black and make a full vamp deck, or stay black vamps for life drain and white for regen and angels?

We don't know what options you have so we can only speak in general terms. R/B vampires seems to be somewhat popular and tends to be on the easier side of the difficulty scale in terms of playing the deck effectively.

Basically my suggestion to build another deck was so that you would have two decks that you could test against each other. You could have a mono white deck and a R/B vampires deck and test them against each other if you really can't stand playing blue or green.

Construct - test - improve - test - improve - test - deconstruct

This is the natural order of decks. Sometimes if they become a favorite they skip the "deconstruct" phase and go straight to the "box of favorites" for you to pull out months or even years later.
Why can't cards from old sets be used in the new decks? I have an old
i would like to throw in there from the first few seasons, plus if those rules are real then that means i have to throw my deck away and start at nothing again next fall if i want to do tourneys or something.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Why can't cards from old sets be used in the new decks?

so that people buy the new sets
I have an old Fallen Angel i would like to throw in there from the first few seasons, plus if those rules are real then that means i have to throw my deck away and start at nothing again next fall if i want to do tourneys or something.

you can use it in Legacy/Vintage or Modern
but those legality rules only matter for tournaments, when just playing with friends play whatever you want
I figured if it was just for fun it doesnt matter but did they ever say why they made all those cards illegal in a tournament?
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
yes, to sell new sets
yes, to sell new sets

Well the benefit (in addition to sales) is that for a new player the standard card pool is much less imposing. It's much easier to build a competitive deck out of 1,000 cards than it is to build a competitive deck out of 10,000 cards.

Advice: talk to the friends you play with and find out if they care about keeping things standard legal. If no one in the group minds then feel free to use any card.
Well the benefit (in addition to sales) is that for a new player the standard card pool is much less imposing. It's much easier to build a competitive deck out of 1,000 cards than it is to build a competitive deck out of 10,000 cards.

Advice: talk to the friends you play with and find out if they care about keeping things standard legal. If no one in the group minds then feel free to use any card.

Yes. This. As someone who just fairly recently began playing Magic, it's far more managable for me to build a Standard Constructed deck knowing I only have to pick cards from whichever core set is standard legal, the latest block, and the block prior to the latest. Modern and Legacy are pretty much out of the question for until I manage to build up a decent library of cards from various older sets (If that ever happens).

-Sartredes
yeah i have a ton of the old cards, my 3 favorite ones are
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
And oh, about the vamp deck i made, you were right, too inconsistant, decided to make a token deck, black and white got all the main cards for it

im building it now, ill post when its done but those are some big ones to make it work imo
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
And oh, about the vamp deck i made, you were right, too inconsistant, decided to make a token deck, black and white got all the main cards for it

im building it now, ill post when its done but those are some big ones to make it work imo

Sounds good. I like tokens and I think they are fun to play. The big advantage is that you don't need a bunch of rares to make the decklist work as it revolves around uncommons like lingering souls and intangible virtue the bad news is that those cards are running $2+ on the secondary market at the moment. Still I think it's a good place to start for a new player and there are plenty of options so the deck can evolve and adjust to the metagame.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Its alright, right? 65 cards total

no, cut 5 cards

cut what, if i cut any black cards i wont have any and all the white ones pretty much cant be touched unless i want to lose some of my token builder cards
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Also, I read on a ruling website that 's effect alows you to sacrifice an enemies creature to get the +2/+2 buff, is this true or no?
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Also, I read on a ruling website that 's effect alows you to sacrifice an enemies creature to get the +2/+2 buff, is this true or no?

yes only till end of turn though 

I tried to use that trick in an online duel on magic online and it wouldnt let me
I am White/Green
I am White/Green

You can not sacrifice an opponent's creature unless you take control of it with something like control magic
cut what, if i cut any black cards i wont have any and all the white ones pretty much cant be touched unless i want to lose some of my token builder cards

Cutting back cards is one of the hardest thing to learn in Magic. In fact, I'd say one can never stop learning about which cards to cut. I am an intermediate noob, and I still find myself amazed at cards that I thought were not-so-good, but that turn out to be great (like Sundering Growth, which is fantastic, especially once you learn you can use it on your own Rancor, if need be), and vice versa. Nonetheless, it is true: If you want your deck to be good, you need to pare it back until you only have the top 9 to 12 cards left (not counting lands), and have four copies of most of them to maximize the likelihood of drawing them.
Cutting back cards is one of the hardest thing to learn in Magic. In fact, I'd say one can never stop learning about which cards to cut

I agree - I hate cutting cards. I actually find it easier to start again and build the deck from scratch than it is to take a deck and cut cards from it.  

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
trust me tried that, didnt work cant decide
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Ok is there a limit on the number of i can have in my deck?
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Ok is there a limit on the number of i can have in my deck?

Yes, just like most cards, you can only have up to four copies of Evolving Wilds in your constructed deck.

The only exceptions to the "four copies" rule are basic lands - Forest, Island, Plains, Swamp, Mountain - and the creature Relentless Rats because it says so.

[<o>]
awwwwww i love evolving wilds :P
I am White/Green
I am White/Green

The card you really want is Isolated Chapel. When Gatecrash comes out in February, the card you will want to look for is Godless Shrine.

Get some Terramorphic Expanses then. Basically the same card with another name, so you can use up to 4 EWs and 4 TEs in the same deck. ;)

[<o>]
not in Standard, however
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Suggestions?
Comments?
Perfect?

Not perfect, but you are learning, which is good.

General suggestion: After you've become more familiar with the cards, pick the best 9 to 11 cards and try to get more copies of those. Run cards in 4s mostly, with some in 3s and 2s (finishers and big bombs that cost a lot of mana you can have fewer of). This deck may be better than the last one you built, but will still be inconsistent compared to an average standard deck.

Mana acceleration is very useful in green/white decks. The best cards for this are probably Arbor Elf, Avacyn Pilgrim, and Farseek. I would recommend something like 4 to 8 cards dedicated towards this purpose. Borderland Range seems weaker since it comes into play later in the game.

You have 25 lands. Assuming you have 60 cards in your deck (which you should, but I didn't count), you can probably go down to 24 or even 23 depending on how much mana acceleration you have.

You have Avenging Arrow and Trostani's Judgment as your removal cards. Your best choices are probably Oblivion Ring or the very versatile Selesnya Charm.

Lifegaining is generally only worth it if it is part of a central strategy or if it is efficient (i.e. a lot of life gained for little mana) or if it is a side effect to other useful actions. For example, combining Restoration Angel with Centaur Healer is efficient and useful, as is Restoration Angel combined with Thragtusk. The cards you have (Bountiful Harvest and Hero's Reunion) are not very effective and I would remove them.

Finally, you have some creatures which are fairly weak cards. These include Brushstrider and Centaur Courser.

It would be good if you could break up your Spells by Creatures and Other Spells, so we can judge the balance (although several of your sorceries generate tokens, and therefore are like creatures).

your tags are wrong and completely ruined your post