[General Discussion] Sligh

65 posts / 0 new
Last post

What is Sligh?

Sligh, By Skankhair
Basic Info: Sligh is a mono-Red aggro deck that runs weenies like Jackal Pup, and Mogg Fanatic, as well as burn such as Lightning Bolt, and Incinerate. The typical Sligh ratio is around 20 land, 20 creatures, and 20 other spells. The burn is generally used to kill blockers so the attacking creatures get through, then is aimed at the other player to finish them off. Sligh's burn gives it an advantage against control decks which have lots of ways to deal with creatures, since it gives Sligh a way to win without attacking. However, it makes it slightly weaker against other aggro decks because other aggro decks tend to have a better creature-base. Sligh has long been a bane of control decks, but is also run over by more creature-oriented aggro decks, and has few ways to deal with combo decks. Sligh was one of the first decks to use the concept of a mana curve to maximize threats and damage. In Sligh's early days, some people thought it was a bad deck full of bad cards that got lucky and won sometimes. Some thought it was a deck full of bad cards that somehow worked together and won. Today, we understand that the math behind the deck is what made it work- the mana curve. Sligh got its name from Paul Sligh who used the deck in a PTQ in 1996. He didn't design the deck, but he popularized it. During the Tempest-era, Sligh was a popular deck and for several years it won quite a bit. It remains a viable deck, or at least a viable idea, in several formats. It is no longer viable in Type 1, but it's spirit lives on in Type 1.5, Extended, and Type 2.

How does Sligh play?
The concept is rather simple. Play a creature, burn away blockers, attack, when opponent is low enough burn them. Control the board with burn and amass your cheap efficent creatures attacking for the win.

Why should I play Sligh?
In a meta full of control decks, it's good to have the bane of control decks at your side, sleeved up and ready for action. If you like having a versatile aggro oriented deck then Sligh is definitely something to look into. But Sligh isn't for everyone. If you want to to use your play set of Thundermaw Hellkites look else where. Ideally, you're piloting this deck because you plan to have won or be an Searing Spear away from winning by the time you or anyone else could even play a Hellkite.

Why does it work?
This works due to the design, following the curve and the rules on your choices. Knowing when to stretch the rules and make acceptions can mean the difference between a good sligh deck and a great sligh deck.

rules:

Big 4

1) you arent making a deck around a card. you are putting a card that will work in a spot in the deck. The deck is important, the card isnt.
2) a creature with defender cant attack, skred cant win you the game, cantrips for cantrip sake wont help you reach your goal.
3) sweepers take out 2-3 creatures when they are used this is card advantage, a few of these can be good to use,
4) every card needs to be good if it's the only card you draw (topdeck) and the only non land in play. synergy is nice, as long as the cards are playable on their own.
curve
THE CURVE
One-drops: 9-13
Two-drops: 6-8
Three drops: 3-6
Four-drops: 0-3
X burn/removal: 0-4
land destruction: 0-4
Low cc/staple burn spells: 8-16
Splash(man) land: 0-9
Mana sources: 11-20

A drop means the casting cost and turn you would most prefer to play the creature.
Guide to fill in the curve

1 mana creatures need to be a 1/1 with an ability to do extra damage or create card advantage or larger then 1/x. If not dealt with these creatures need to be able to eventually kill your opponent all by themselves.
2 mana creatures need to be 2/x or better or have a significant reason you are using them (such as the ability to get big)
3 mana creatures need to be ending the game quickly if not dealt with
4 mana creatures need to end the game within the next turn.

Burn: always needs to be able to hit a creature, this is important. damage > CC is nice, but sometimes it's also useful to have other abilities. they need to not be combo dependant or rely on more cards in hand and need not give your opponent options.

Splash(man) lands: basicly this encompases the use of dual color lands to splash another color (not usually suggested for Sligh but some say todays environment calls for it), or turns into a creature and hits your opponent.

R.gif

Sligh Cards (will update eventually):

Creatures:

1cc
Goblin Arsonist : Neo-Fanatic. If only he had the ability to pay to destroy him..
Forge Devil : pretty deck VS weenies. CA is always good, and he's pretty close to a Mogg Fanatic.
Stromkirk Noble : Best 1 drop in the format right now for us. A nice 1/1 with a nice ability to get bigger, as long as he crosses the redzone.
Reckless Waif : I originally was going to skip the werewolves, but since most 1 drops for us are 1/1, he Waif gets in. The 3/2 body is a nice one to attack with early game.
Rakdos Cackler : ALWAYS Unleash unless you NEED a chump blocker.  2/2s for 1 are good.
Vexing Devil : NEVER run more than 2.  If you're playing 3+, you're not playing Sligh, you're playing Burn because that's really what he is, a 4 damage for 1 mana sorcery.  He's only ever a 4/3 if your opponent has an answer already for him, if he's not relavent any more, or if they can't afford to take another 4 at that exact moment.
Stonewright : standard 1/1 for 1, and when bonded with another you have 2 firebreathers.
Somberwald Vigilante : standard 1 drop, with an ability that means it always wins VS x/1 creatures.

2cc
Torch Fiend : 2/1 for 2 and fights artifacts. Maindeck able since 2 drops are looking a little sparce
Ashmouth Hound : a fun toy creature who I think has a niche
Rakdos Shred-Freak : 2/1 haste is solid, and his double hybird cost makes him easy to play turn 2 if you're splashing Black
Ash Zealot : Probably the best 2-drop mono-Red has
Gore-House Chainwalker : solid 2-drop
Lightning Mauler : not a bad 2-drop. 2/1 for 2, and he'll either haste himself by bonding with an earlier creature, or haste your next one.

3cc
Kruin Outlaw : another card I was going to pass over, but I think a 2/2 first strike is ok on her own, and a 3/3 double striker evasive beater is a nice bonus every once in a while.
Guttersnipe : my favorate 3-drop.  Adds reach on top your reach, or tacks it onto your removal.
Splatter Thug : 2/2 first strike for 3, unleashed and you have a 3/3 fist strike that can't block.  We really shouldn't be blocking at all with our 3-drops so it's pretty safe to assume you'll rarely not unleash it.
Hanweir Lancer : 2/2 for 3, that when bonded grants first strike.

4cc
Hellrider : probably the best 4 drop out there. 3/3 body with an ability to garentee damage gets through, and did I mention Haste?
Bloodfray Giant : 4/3 trample for 4 or a 5/4 trampler who can't block.  He'll end things in a hurry if he can get through.
Hound of Griselbrand : a 2/2 double striker isn't much, but he comes back as a 3/3.  Not a bad finisher.
Archwing Dragon : 4/4 flying, haste for 4.  He's immune to sorcery speed removal, but it comes at having to cast him every turn.  Not reccomended.

Spells:

1cc
Pillar of Flame : Sorcery Shock that Exiles.  I MD'd Magma Spray because of Kitchen Finks, and this thing can dome.  With Undeying and Grave Crawler, you need some cheap exile removal.
Electrickery : 1 damage for 1 mana or a one sided wipe out for all X/1 creatures on their side for 2.  Not a bad option for token heavy metas, unless they happen to be Angels.

2cc
Searing Spear : Neurtered Incinerate, staple 4-of.
Thunderbolt : Not a bad pice of removal.
Mizzium Mortars : this is our kill spell, and if you overload it, the game has gone on far to long

3cc
Brimstone Volley : the defacto 3 damage for 3 mana burn spell right now. It's morbid bumps the damage to 5 so you can attack into certain creature death (and maybe get some damage through) and then fire off a nice 5 shot to their face (and hopefuly win).
Annihilating Fire : 3 damage and Exiles.  Not needed, but I happen to like a lot of burn at my finger tips, and I hate seeing things recur.

X Spell
Devil's Play : basic X-Burn with flashback. Nuff said really.
Bonfire of the Damned : it's $50 a peice for a reason, the miracle is nutz.

Finishers
Thunderous Wrath : similar, but not as useful as Fireblast.  Run no more than 3, I'd reccomend 2 if you want to run it.  Basically mulligan any opening hand you get with it in it unless the rest of the hand is crazy nutz and pray you don't draw it until turn 4/5.  In a pinch it'll wipe out any potential blocker, but mostly you should have your spot removal to take care of creatures so this can dome about 85% of the time.

Non-Basic Lands:

Hellion Crucible : neo-Manland, charge it up and after a board wipe you have a permanent token in place of a land.  Normally this might be a drawback, but it's a hasty 4/4 so it's good for at least 1 swing.
Ghost Quarter : Solid land destruction for non-basics. Their kind of useless VS mono though, so don't waste them on basics.
Dragonskull Summit : solid R/B land
Rootbound Crag : solid R/G Land
Clifftop Retreat : solid R/W Land
Sulfur Falls : solid R/U Land
Evolving Wilds : With the non-basics at our finger tips, this shouldn't be needed
Blood Crypt : Shockland, the best kind of color fixing we'll see for a long while.
Steam Vent : see above.
Rakdos Guildgate : budget mana fixing, not bad for a little extra if you run it as a 2 of.
Izzet Guildgate : see above.
Cavern of Souls : if you have a tribal theme, this will give you an uncounterable guy every turn you have one in hand, and helps to color fix for creatures.  Not bad to have 1 or 2 in the board in case you run into a control player who forgot this card exsists.  Get's harder the more diverse your creature types get.

Sideboard

Ancient Grudge : Shatter + flashback. This is enough of a reason to splash Green.
Traitorous Blood : threaten with trample
Traitorous Instinct : threaten with +2/+0
Mark of Mutiny : threat with a +1/+1 counter.  This could come back to bite you later.
Smelt : instant speed, 1 cmc artifact hate
Vandalblast : 1 cmc, sorcery speed artifact hate that for 5 blows up all THEIR artifacts.
Tormod's Crypt : colorless 'yard hate
Rolling Temblor : This is our current sweeper.  Not ideal, so running high on spot removal is advised.
Wrack with Madness : as long as a creature's power is at least equal to it's toughness, you'll always be able to burn it out.
Pithing Needle : turns Planeswlkers off, as well as other pesky activated abilities
Grafdigger's Cage : turns off flashback, Gravecrawler and reanimator plans
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Figured since I'm back into the game again, I'd update my baby.  And since I figured the thread shouldn't contain references to cards from Timespiral Block, I created a new one.

Lists, and more updates to come as I find the time.  One can only do so much on a 30 min lunch break.

So who missed me?

Edit:

My Current Lists (as of 11-07-2012)

Damage Push Sligh

Lands:
4 Hellion Crucible
18 Mountain

Creatures:
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Vexing Devil
4 Ash Zealot
4 Guttersnipe
Hellrider

Spells:
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Brimstone Volley
4 Annihilating Fire

Sideboard:
-not yet finalized-

Summary:
Pretty much what the name implies. It specializes in pushing damage through, either via Guttersnipe, Hellrider, or the odd Vexing Devil.  It's got a lot of MD hate for Zombies (ie: the most comon other aggro deck in the format) and for the most part it's a favorable match up for it.  Guttersnipe is a real all star, burning face even when I'm removing blockers.  And it's stupid when some one lets me set up a turn 3 Guttersnipe, into a turn 4 Vexing + Volley.  The 1 time it happed it was a turn 4 win.  Mostly it goldfishes turn 5 wins, and tends to win in actual games turn 5 to 7, depending on how many Thragtusks or Centaur Healers get played.

B/r Zombie-Sligh

Lands:
1 Cavern of Souls
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Rakdos Guildgate
10 Swamp

Creatures:
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Geralf's Messenger
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Spells:
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Dreadbore
4 Brimstone Volley
2 Mark of Mutiny

Sideboard:
4 Crippling Blight
3 Tribute to Hunger
4 Annihilating Fire
2 Sever the Bloodline
2 slots open, tentative Pithing Needle

Summary:
This is a Sligh deck painted Black.  Black as all the good 1-drops, and it has an annoying 3-drop.  And R/B has access to probably the best possibly 4-drop for Aggro.  With a nice removal suite and a strong creature base, it's not hard to see why I like the deck.  It crashes head long into most decks and shambles away.  Obviously it has difficulties with mono-Red that has the same removal suite (or better) but doesn't have the risk of not seeing the right colors, but it does fairly well VS my other build.  Not that that's proof of a solid build.  VS Thragtusk it has some extra tech MD thanks to Mark of Mutiny.  +5 life isn't hard to fight through when you steal their blocker and punch through with a +6 damage.  Get's saucy with Aristocrat eating their mutinous creature so they don'y get the benefit from that +1/+1 counter.  The fact I get what ever leaves play triggers is also tasty for Aristocrat later on when she wants to dodge removal.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
What are your thoughts on Mogg Flunkies and Stonewright?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

this is the first time in a long time where sligh decks actually look like real sligh decks (as in, the curve is basically there)

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I missed Big Red maker...you. Welcome back 

I was playing Island's Mono Red list and did very well against control even Bant that have Thragtusk

Didn't like Nightbird's Clutches...I was thinking changing to changing to Guttersnipe or Annihilating Fire
I haven't finished updating the OP, it was mostly a hurried job while waiting for a project at work to compile.

Hellion Crucible will make it into the list, as it's a solid back up plan post-Wrath effect of the current flavor.

Stonewright is OK, not ideal, but certainly better than Forge Devil, who's in the list, so he'll get in there too.

Mogg Flunkies is terrible, it violates one of the rules of Sligh, IE: it has to win the game if it's the only non-land permanent I draw.

I'm glad my favorate archetype actually is actually looking like it's playable for competitive play. 
My Decks
I think that if one does splash a color, and that color is black only 2 cards really need to be included. Maindeck or sided dreadbores. Since yes it doesnt do anything to the face so most likely sided for those few need to kill it cards, and Hellhole Flailer. Hellhole fills the weaker 3cc spot with a solid body on either side of its CIP ability, and if not possible to directly attack or has already attacked and you have the mana open the sacrifice ability becomes very relevant to ending a game. That and only splashing for those two cards means that even with the 8 duals you would put in, your still a solid red base without any CIPT lands, unless you cant take 2 off a shock mid to late game.

Any other black cards really dont fit the aggresiveness or the curve to be included in a sligh type deck atm, since they need more black mana than a sligh build can produce at any given time, or they need some kind of trick to be usefull.

Theoretically you could play a Falkenrath aristocrat in the 4 drop position and if they do board wipe you would probably have enough humans and or creatures to save it and or pump......but then your still on the loosing side of that coin. As well I dont know if aristocrat would survive on only 8 duals and be relevant enough. Hellrider is probably the better choice.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
I missed you, 'Buss! I've since switched to Zombies following the madness that was Blood Artist, and now I just really like the gameplay (though have had to swap out Artist due to general lack of death). Experimented with Jund Zombies, might just go straight Black/red, though I really miss playing mono red.
Yeah, Black is looking like the best splash right now, I'm holding out hope for a nice Boros build come Gatecrash though.

There's room in the curve for 4 non-burn removal, so MD 4 Dreadbore is possible.  I'd actually rather have Terminate back, but I guess a kill spell for a 'Walker is good in my book.

Aristocrat should be able to function off just 8 duals, though I'd still probably run 2 Guildgates, just to be safe if I ran her.

@All
I think I've got the OP straitened away now, let me know if I skipped anything you think is important.

Now, without further ado, my Sligh:

Lands:
18 Mountain
4 Hellion Crucible

Creatures:
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Vexing Devil
4 Ash Zealot
3 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Guttersnipe
2 Hellrider

Spells:
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Brimstone Volley
4 Annihilating Fire

SB:
2 Pithing Needle
2 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Mizzinium Mortars
4 Torch Fiend
3 Traitorous Blood
My Decks
I've been using the sligh curve in the rakdos aggro deck I'm running.  I'd highly recommend thunderous wrath as a main deck spell.  The low curve means you can miracle it and still play something, and even if it's in your hand, the rest of what you have is usually just as good as a mulligan to 6.

Also, Reverberate is nuts.  The ability to blow out a game with a copied wrath/ volley or neutralize the threat of entreat the angels is well worth it.  With half the cards in the deck being burn, it's never a dead card.

I disagree with vexing devil being a 2-3 of at max.  I run the full play set because 4 damage is about as you can reliably expect out of a one drop in this meta.  Bant having access to 8 slots of wrath effects and o-rings really puts a crimp on any creature-based plans, particularly when terminus can be cast for 1 white mana. 
Reverberate has absolutely no place in Sligh.

It's never more than a sb card in any circumstances.

@thread: Sligh is long dead - it is simply not as good as RDW, and it neither has the cards in the relevant spots to make a proper curve, it doesn't have a lack of competition from opposing slow decks or decks that sacrifice their own life total.

Finally, the early game creatures (e.g 2 power 1-drops) in red are simply on par or worse than other colours (notably black, at the moment, but white more generally).
I'm glad my favorate archetype actually is actually looking like it's playable for competitive play. 

It's not. Black makes better use of the burn due to Geralf's Messenger, Falkenrath Aristocrat and and abundance of 2 power 1 drops. White based aggro is simply much larger and faster with Paladin giving double strike to fatties. G/W starts churring out 4/4s as early as turn 2. W/U has Geist that can fly or be protected with cheap removal and counterspells. 

And in face of all these, we live in a time of cheapest fatties and some of the best life gain there is. Centaur Healer, Lyev Skynight, Azorius Charm, Thragtusk, Angel of Serenity, Jace all are cards that crushingly trump aggro decks. RDW lost Koth at 4CMC, which meant that it's 4/4 was still alive post wrath. Not only that, but no decks used to follow a wrath with a Thragtusk in the past - you generally could start burning dome and wrap up the game, which isn't the case with RDW/Sligh nowadays. 

Red's creatures are horribly underwhelming for the time being. Your best turn 2 play is Ash Zealot when other decks' Farseeks, Loxodon Smiters, Grisly Salvages to find Centaur Healer / Lingering Souls, Azorius Charms and even Pillar of Flames are much better plays in this meta. The only possible reason to play mono red is Ash Zealot, which doesn't even compare to the entirety of Zombies - a deck that's barely viable in this meta.

I'm not against trying out everything and especially 'The Red Deck' of the format but these three motnhs are not the time for Sligh or even RDW. Sligh is a horribly outdated concept, one that belonged to 10 years ago and not today. When people are making double striking 4/4s as early as turn 3, you know your burn spells and 2/2s for 2 are just not up for the task. I know it because I tested it extensively, and it just doesn't reach. 
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
@Nighthavk

I think my history of having blinders on when ever I start seeing good cards for Sligh speaks for itself.  Thank you for shattering my delusions of grandure about Sligh.  Though, to be fair, my idea of "playable for competitive play" boils down to "I could take this to a PTQ and probably win a fair number of games, and I would have to be stupid lucky to make top 32, let alone top 8."

I know Sligh's glory days are long past and it'll be a tier 2 deck at best, unless something really wierd happens.

But I can dream.

@BigK42

Thunderous Wrath seems ok as a finisher as a 2-of.  maybe 3-of.  I'll probably add it in later on.

Reverberate doesn't do anything by itself, so there's no home for it in the MD.  As for SB, I can't think of anything I'd want to pull for them, and the thought of leaving up rather than play a creature or burn them out is horrifying.  If I have mana up on their turn, it's because I'm waiting to burn out guys on their turn or burn off some more of their life total.  Not because they might play something that would be sweet to copy.

My thoughts on Vexing Devil stands.  He gives them an out, so he'll rarely be what you want him to be, and as a 3-or 4-of you run the risk of him showing up in your opening hand, and he'll never be a creature in the first few turns of the game.  And if Sligh is burning face, it's looking to win, not get a creature on the board.  As a 2-of, he won't show up often and if he does I hopefully will be just as you're really turning on the pressure so either a creature of extra damage would be nice, or where a 4/3 just isn't relevent anymore.  At least when he's not relavent you only invested 1 mana into him and got a nice body you might be able to swing in with at that point.

If you're playing Burn, then you want to play Devil early and often, because late in the game, no one will take 4 from Devil.  It's like Browbeat for them, only much worse since instead of 5 damage OR 3 cards for 3 mana, it's a choice between 4 damage OR a 4/3 creature for 1.  Creatures can be dealt with but the burn you might have just drawn into isn't subject to all the hopeful dead cards your opponent is holding because they were expecting more creatures.
My Decks
Been playing around with a R/b build.

MD:
Land:
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Evolving Wild (just to make sure I can get a black source for Aristocrat)
10 Mountain
1 Swamp

Creatures:
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Reckless Waif
2 Vexing Devil
Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Ash Zealot
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Spells:
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
3 Dreadbore
4 Annahlating Fire
2 Mark of Mutiny

SB:
4 Forge Devil (Mana-dorks and for game 2/3 on the draw VS other Aggro)
2 Grafdigger's Cage (Gravecrawler / Reanimater hate)
3 Torch Fiend (Artifact hate)
2 Sever the Bloodline (Angel Token hate)
3 Slaughter Games (Thragtusk / Combo hate)
1 Dreadbore (if I really need the extra kill spell)

I've been running into an interesting problem, I've been looking at B/r Zombies and I can't help but think it's Sligh painted black.  I mean, Black has 12 2-power 1 drops, and with Shred-Freak on 2 +some other 2-drop, they round out their curve really well with Messenger on 3 and Aristocrat on 4.  Slap on my perfered suite of 16 removal spells (Pillar, Spear, Dreadbore, Volley) and I have a nice Sligh deck with some resiliance thanks to undying and Gravecrawler that will give me aggressive draws thanks to the 12 1-drops.

B/r Zombies is making a strong case for me to play it, so I'm probably going to investigate how my matches up with my Sligh builds stack up to Zombie's.  I know I can eat up Zombie lists with my burn since I remove a lot of that resiliance (my mono-Red build does have 8 MD exile spells), but it's ultimately the Thragtusk problem I must over come (Hence why my R/b list is testing out a threaten effect in the MD).

My Decks
I eagerly await your take on B/r Sligh, but I'd recommend at least two more Aristocrat. The haste/evasion/removal-avoidance is a savagely-effective combination; I couldn't ever run fewer than 4.
There's not much to wait for, it pretty much builds itself.

B/r Zombie-Sligh
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
2 Rakdos Guildgate (I need the Red for burn)
10 Swamp
2 Mountain (random protection from Ghost Quarter)

4 Gravecrawler
Rakdos Cackler
Diregraf Ghoul
Rakdos Shred-Freak
Lightning Mauler
Geralf's Messenger
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Dreadbore
4 Brimstone Volley

Manabase might need a little work to support my removal, but I really like the list.  Mauler will almost always have haste thanks to all the 1 drops, and if it get's removed, he'll haste another 1-drop.  I'm sure it'll get some flake for not having 4 Messenger and only 2 Aristocrat, but I'm trying to run on a tight curve here, so I can't have a bunch of 3-and4-drops clogging my hand.  Thunderbolt over Dreadbore is a posibility as well.

Aristocrat really makes me want to run some Treason effect over Volley.  Turn 4 alpha strike, turn 5 steal their Thragtusk, alpha strike, sac Thrag to Aristocrat and get a 3/3.  It that wasn't GG for them, they are done next turn unless they Terminus.  But even then, they SHOULD be in burn range at that point.
My Decks
You never know about Ghost Quarter, I could run into it by some random Control player trying to play the meta.  However, I would like a few Mountains in there regardless.  My list is very greedy for but I really need to make sure I have a  source for my removal.  10 sources looks good on paper for statistically drawing into 1, but I'd rather miss out playing a turn 3 Messenger than missing an opening to burn off a mana-dork.

I saw the write up.  I felt for you for missing out on the Judge cert.  That's something I've wanted to do, but just haven't had the time to really take seriously.

I know Aristocrate is wicked.  When ever I see one accross from me, I always ask if they want to be the one to kill their other guy, or if I can do it.  Either way, it always ends with somthing getting sac'd to it, in only to prevent me from removing it.  She's a pain to remove, I'm just glad I haven't seen any humans ever get sac'd to her, she'd be a pain if she got 2 counters on her. 

However, I don't really see the room to make for more.  I guess I could cut a Ghoul (since it comes into play tapped, it's a bad soulbond target unless it was already in play) for a 3rd, but I really want to keep all 12 1-drops for earrly game pressure.  I could nix a 2-drop, but I like the 3/3 split. 

Anything else I could cut into is my removal, and I'm weird in the sense that I HAVE to have 16 removal spells in my deck, at a minimum.  I like my removal, possibly too much, but it's what wins me aggro mirrors.
My Decks
I guess the question then becomes, what to cut and how much?  I'm thinking a 2/3 split to bump up to a 3rd Aristocrat, but if I'm going to 4, I might as well cut 1 totaly and go to a full 4.

Both Shred-Freak and Mauler have advantages.  Mauler enables turn 3 hasty 1 drops if his first buddy dies.  Shred-Freak is always hasted, and easier to cast.

But even once that's made, there's still the whole comparision to Zombies.  I'd rather not have the only difference between the creature base is Zombies runs Blood Artist while my list runs some Aggressive 2-drop.
My Decks
True, I guess I'm just stuck on the vision most Wrath-effect dropping a Mauler + a 1-drop (after all, I didn't want to over extended into a possible board wipe) and getting in there for 4.  And with the high mortality rate of my 1-drops, it'd be nice to get some random haste beats from some 1 drops. 

I'm probably just stuck on Mauler right now, which is weird because outside of my B/r build, I'm really not a fan of him.

I've seen Artist do some sick things, and I've seen some random Artist into Killing Wave (pulled on me, which I can say, certainly pauses the game while you try to determine how much offensive power you can risk keeping in play).  At the very least he bleeds people a bit, but I think more damage could be done by just using a creature that can attack and actually deal damage.

Sucks I really only have 1 Aristocrat ATM.  But that's what I get for basically skipping competitive play for about a year.
My Decks
@tehbeast

Nice ninja edit while I was trying to respond to your post. :P

There's not many, that's why I'm really liking a black creature base, all the solid turn 1 dudes helps to ballance it out.

I just wish they didn't have to clash with my ability to play Ash Zealot.  Of course, Zealot plays horribly with Gravecrawler, so it's now like I'd run them in the same deck anyway...

Since I'm late to the party, why is there so little love for Dreadbore?  The whole socrery-kill only?  Seems like an ok trade.  Sure, I'd love Terminate in it's place, but at least it blows up Planeswalkers too.  And I usually play tap out anyway, unless they aren't commiting as much to the board as far as creatures go.
My Decks
I'm kinda happy people still talk about Sligh.  Getting tired of the other popular internet decks going around right now and seeing the same match up over and over.  I ran this RG Sligh deck at game day last week.  It didn't do bad at all, people were not expecting it and I ran it up to top 4 out of 33.  I don't know if it would've gone further; we ended up drawing for packs. 

The meta environment at that game was so stuffed with tokens, I went in with Flames of the Firebrand but wishing I had Electrickery.  Match-ups were Jund Aggro/Midrange, I couldn't tell (2-1), Jund Reanimator (2-1), Selesnya Tokens (0-2), Selesnya Tokens (2-0), Quarterfinals - Junk Tokens (2-1).

To the poster above me, the Jund and Rakdos players were sideboarding Dreadbore and Abrupt Decay against me all over the place so Dreadbore at least sees play.
Reforge the Soul won me every game I saw it in (4 games) for whatever reason, disrupted everyone else's hand while refilling my empty one I guess.  Chandra's utility for a coup de grâce with double Brimstone was the idea but I only ever saw her in one game; the others were over by turn 4-5 and I never used her for doublling Brimstone, I ended up getting her up to 6 against tokens and having my opponent scoop.  I didn't have any mana problems in actual games.  Had to mull to 6 twice and 5 once out of 13 games; didn't seem like too big of a problem since that could be expected from any deck.

I played this because it was cheap and I had the cards and sign ups were free, not because it was supposed to be competitive.  My opponents definitely scoffed when they saw Reforge and Giant Growth and Flinthoof Boar but then they lost so I didn't really care if THEY thought cards I play are bad; if they win me games and they're cheap, I'm fine with that.  Try it out, it's fun to play, cheap to build and easy to find cards, 4th turn kills are pretty common.
Reforge the Soul won me every game I saw it in (4 games) for whatever reason, disrupted everyone else's hand while refilling my empty one I guess.  Chandra's utility for a coup de grâce with double Brimstone was the idea but I only ever saw her in one game; the others were over by turn 4-5 and I never used her for doublling Brimstone, I ended up getting her up to 6 against tokens and having my opponent scoop.  I didn't have any mana problems in actual games.  Had to mull to 6 twice and 5 once out of 13 games; didn't seem like too big of a problem since that could be expected from any deck.

I played this because it was cheap and I had the cards and sign ups were free, not because it was supposed to be competitive.  My opponents definitely scoffed when they saw Reforge and Giant Growth and Flinthoof Boar but then they lost so I didn't really care if THEY thought cards I play are bad; if they win me games and they're cheap, I'm fine with that.  Try it out, it's fun to play, cheap to build and easy to find cards, 4th turn kills are pretty common.

Essentially Chandra is sometimes useful in control sideboards, and she definitely doesn't belong in your deck.

The deal with reforge the soul is that it's very much a lucky day card. Essentially when you top deck it, it is successful if and only if your hand is empty or you have one or two junk cards and your opponent has a good hand. Both criteria are important. If your opponent has a junk hand, he gets to filter and you just helped your opponent a ton. If you have a good hand you just drew a dead card. Essentially it's too risky to consider for most decks. And then there's the problem of drawing it in your opening hand.

It is very nice seeing someone repping burning bacon in their lists though. Very nice.
The only Planeswalker I've seen that works for Sligh is Koth, as he's at least a 4/4 haste for 4, and when it dies in combat, at least you have another 4/4 for next turn and are only out a land.

Chandra doesn't make the grade.

I think after Gatecrash Zoo should be pretty strong, there are some nice 1-drops, and with Gruul and Boros joing the party it should be pretty strong.  However we're not quite there yet.

I'm all for spinning a wheel when my hands burned out, but Reforge costs too much to do it in a controled manner, and if I'm top decking, I want answers now a bunch of cards.

As for Dreadbore, I know it's seeing some play, I just don't know why I'm seeing it in the SB.  Sure it's a little slow, but it's solid removal for low mana cost.
My Decks

Essentially Chandra is sometimes useful in control sideboards, and she definitely doesn't belong in your deck.

I had an open slot; Chandra fit.  A Forest could also work in her place.  And Koth rotated out didn't he?  Anyway, I was just buliding with what I had or what people didn't want.

The deal with reforge the soul is that it's very much a lucky day card. Essentially when you top deck it, it is successful if and only if your hand is empty or you have one or two junk cards and your opponent has a good hand. Both criteria are important. If your opponent has a junk hand, he gets to filter and you just helped your opponent a ton. If you have a good hand you just drew a dead card. Essentially it's too risky to consider for most decks. And then there's the problem of drawing it in your opening hand.

That is pretty much why they call it a "Miracle" right...?  I hardcasted it once, Miracled it 3 times; once on the second turn.  But like I said, it saved me every game I played it, as in if it was not there, I would have lost the round and the match because I was in a non-recoverable state and then I draw into a handful of burn or Rancors and end it.  The thing about this deck is you can pretty safely throw away anything and expect to replace it with the same, just MORE of it.

Edit: @Anubuss and Reforge, Yeah I was scared tapping out to hardcast Reforge but here you have a pretty decent chance of getting haste creatures or burn or utility.  My opponent drew into a big fatty and played it his turn and I drew into two Brimstones, a Spear, a Flinthoof and a Rancor which ended it pretty fast the turn after.

I'm not saying I'm surprised people don't play it; I understand the drawbacks but I'm just saying I play it and it wins me games. 

And yeah...too bad R/G isn't a thing until Gatecrash.  People were just throwing their Flinthoofs at me as toilet paper when I was trying to build this deck.

If you have no money like me, my list is like $20 to buy all the cards.  If you can beg or borrow off of people, it's significantly less.  I'm not saying it'll play better but for budget's sake...
I can never figure out how any of these lists are better than zombies...

And Zombies is Tier 2 already. As an aggro/tempo (currently playing Zombies) player, I must say this: aggro is not where you want to be right now. 

I don't main Dreadbore because I want my entire list to be live draws at ANY point in the game whenever possible. With a sac outlet, Blood Artist steals games. Pre-rotation, I used him to successfully fight through 15 gained life.

My board would probably look like:
?
Dreadbore just seems like a fine bit of removal to me, 1 worthy of being in the main.  The fact it'll kill a 'Walker is just gravy.

I imagine for a Zombie-Sligh build my board would be much the same as my current one, only digging into Black for some hand disruption.

2 Pithing Needle (Turn's off 'Walkers, and other nasty activated abilities)
4 Appetite for Brains (get's rid of Thragtusk, 'Walkers, any on hand sweepers)
4 Torch Fiend (general artifact hate, mostly to hate on Cage)
2 Sever the Bloodline (Angel token hate)
3 Slaughter Games (Shuts down combo)

To those Zombie players among us, what's good in the mirror?  I wish I could run some copies of Annalating Fire, but I don't know how well my manabase will support for 1 spell.

updated list

B/r Zombie-Sligh
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
2 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Cavern of Souls (remembered I had one and figured 'what the hell, why not?')
11 Swamp

4 Gravecrawler
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
Lightning Mauler (don't know why I'm stuck on him, he probably SHOULD be Shred-Freak)
Geralf's Messenger
Falkenrath Aristocrat (don't know if I should go for the full 4 and cut back on Messenger)

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Dreadbore
4 Brimstone Volley (part of me really wants to make this Mark of Mutiny)

You have no idea how infuriating it is that I could build this deck (thanks to my wife's zombie deck from pre-rotation) if it wasn't for Aristocrat.
My Decks
Guess that makes freeing up some room for Crippling Blight pretty easy.  It'd be nice to have some more anti-Thragtusk tech.  I'm pretty sure I can out race a 4/2 that can't block me, even though a +5 life boon.

What are your thoughts for MD Mark of Mutiny?  As much as I'd like 16 removal spells, I can manage with 12, as long as my other 4 are sudo-removal that can get me there.

I'd still like an answer for Epic Experiment.

edit:
I'm looking to make room in my MD for 2 Mark of Mutiny, I'm thinking of cutting a Messenger and one of my 1-drops. Probably a Gravecrawler since he is the weaker of the 1 drops, and it's not like having 3 is going to hurt my chances of being able to recur him, provided the other deck doesn't hate him out.

Also thinking about cutting a Slaughter Games and my Needles for 3 Crippling Blight. I probably should cut Torch Fiend for a full set of 4, but I can't help but think I'll need the hate for artifacts.  At the very least he blows up Needles naming Aristocrat.  And unlike other artifact hate, he beats face until he's needed.
My Decks
bump.

Still don't know why I'm hung up on Lighting Mauer, but in some testing, I was havng some fun using his soulbond.  There were a few games I won in the face of a stupid early Terminus thanks to Mauler + Crackler/Gravecrawler. 

MD Marks have been fun, great game 1 Thragtusk tech.  he's not hard to deal with when the turn after they play him I hit for 6 + what ever I did last turn.  In the 1 game that that hadn't been lethal, I had Aristocrat so they had no choice but to scoop when they didn't top deck a Terminus.

I'm in the market for tech VS Hexproof.  Tribute to Hunger looks like my only real choice, since Barter in Blood hurts me more than it helps.  I need to cut back on Thragtusk hate to mae some room though.  So far Aooetite seems to be more effective cut if they don't have the Thragtusk in hand, it doesn't exactly work (not that I've never found a target mind you).  Some times I just can't get there with Blight.

Still would like to get Annalating Fire in the board for the mirror, or for VS Reanimater (though Cage may be better in that case).  Slaughter Games probably won't last long in my SB, I've slowly come to realize Experiment doesn't scare me.  Fiend may not last either, I like having the hate, but haven't seen much I want to blow up, outside some Keyrunes and Runechanter's Pike.
My Decks
1: I did decide Gravecrawler was my strongest 1-drop, that's why in my updated list he's a 4-of, I cut a Ghoul.
2: True, Fiend can go.  +4 SB cards for me.
3: I don't know where this came from....why would I side in Needle VS Zombies?  Maybe from my statement saying how Fiend has blown up other people's needles that have named Aristocrat?
4: Well, I can add about 4 more people who play Experiment from my LGS.  And they're wising up to aggro and playing Fogs.
5: I've never been a fan of using MWS other than demoing decks, and I've never touched Cockatrice.  I run my testing at my LGS, and running through a gauntlet of the major decks + some various home brews.
6: I ****ing hate Geist of Saint Taft!  I have plenty of removal for all the small frys.  I want this dude gone.  There's a guy at my LGS still running a Delver list, and his creature base is Delver, Geist and some Guttersnipes.  He's pretty good at out tempoing me, and that blasted Geist wrecks me.  The hate I have for this card is only over shadowed by my feelings for Thragtusk.
7: Setting up an account now.

My Decks
Maybe I'm more of a scrub than I thought; you said you cut Diregraf Ghoul??? How the Hell are you going to reliably recur Gravecrawler, not to mention, isn't Dirgraf Ghoul strictly better than Rakdos Cackler, on account of Diregraf Ghoul can block the turn after it comes into play?
Cackler got to stay as a 4-of mostly due to my current hang up that is Lightning Mauler.  If I have an unbonded Mauler in play, I want that 1-drop in my hand to be able to bond and attack the same turn I play him.  Ghoul comes in tapped so Cackler got the nod.

When I get over Mauler, I'll +1 Ghoul, -1 Cackler.  Recuring Gravecrawler hasn't been an issue as of yet.  I'd like to have more Zombies, but even as just a 2/1 for 1, he meets the grade for Sligh, the fact he can come back is just gravey.

I know it was a weird call, but I wanted the 2 Mark of Mutiny in the deck, and I didn't have much room open to me.

Updated SB:

Appetite on turn 3/4/5 depending on the draw/ramp they play usually takes care of the Thragtusk problem, if not, they either top decked it or it wasn't an issue anyway.  Fire replaces Volley in the Mirror, haven't tried it out yet, but my manabase SEEMS to be able to handle it.  I may have to -1 Swamp, +1 Guildgate just to be safe.  Tribute will deal with Geist, and possibly Reanimator depending on their target.  Instant speed is nice, but I foresee myself playing it on my turn so they don't sac the Angel token (though the +4 life and not taking an Angel hit might just let me out race it anyway.  Bloodline really puts the hate on Angel tokens, and it replaces Mark of Mutiny when it needs to be called on.  2 Open slots since I think I can get by on my MD VS Experiment, though I do board out Mark of Mutiny for a few Fires.  Thinking maybe 1 3rd Mark of Mutiny and something else (Maybe the Ghoul I cut so he's still "in the deck"?) or maybe just drop 2 Pithing Needles in.
My Decks
You aren't going to be able to cast annihilating fire reliably off that manabase.

With 10 sources, it isn't unheard of for me to see by turns 4/5 (when I'd want to play it in the mirror).  But I am considering upping the Guildgate count to 3.  11 sources seems like it should do it for me, if it's the only greedy red spell in the deck.

If you really don't think I can manage it realiably off of 50% of my manabase tapping for Red, what else would you suggest for SB tech in the mirror? 
My Decks
Hellhole Flailer paired with Lightning Mauler could be moderately erotic.
Suddenly realized I'm running 61 cards.  I can't think of anything to cut, so I guess I'll stick with what I have.

I've decided to give Crippling Blight a second chance.  While Appitite can miss, at least Blight can kill X/1 creatures, or remove a blocker for a final Alpha strike.  I'll have to watch out for surprise Angels but I should manage.

I also came to my senses.  -4 Mauler, -1 Cackler, +4 Shred-Freak, +1 Ghoul.  

Also bumped my Guildgate count, -1 Swamp, +1 Guildgate. 

My last 2 SB slots are looking like Pithing Needle.  Why?  I can't really think of anything else to put in. 
My Decks
Updated some stuff in the OP (mostly spelling issues), and slaped both my lists in my first post.  I might turn it into a gathering place for lists.  If you want your list in there, shoot me a PM with your list, and I'll do a quick copy-paste into it.

My Builds:

Their tentative, the "finalized versions" are in the first post, but these include my experiemental SB choices

Damage Push Sligh

Lands:
4 Hellion Crucible
18 Mountain

Creatures:
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Vexing Devil
4 Ash Zealot
4 Guttersnipe
4 Hellrider

Spells:
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Brimstone Volley
4 Annihilating Fire

Sideboard:
Pithing Needle
4 Reckless Waif
3 Rakdos Shred-Freak
Mizzium Mortars but I'm thinking maybe Thunderbolt
3 Traitorous Blood

I may end up cutting down on a Guttersnipe and a Hellrider (or 2) to put in Shred-Freaks so I have more early aggro power.  It's a balancing act of Early Game VS late game, hence my 3 in the SB.

B/r Zombie-Sligh

Lands:
1 Cavern of Souls
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Rakdos Guildgate
10 Swamp

Creatures:
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Geralf's Messenger
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Spells:
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Dreadbore
4 Brimstone Volley
2 Mark of Mutiny

Sideboard:
4 Crippling Blight
3 Tribute to Hunger
4 Annihilating Fire
2 Sever the Bloodline
2 slots open, tentative Pithing Needle

Nuff said really.  No idea what those last 2 SB slots should be.  I may cut an Aristocrat so I can drop to 60 cards, but it's Aristocrat....probably the best finisher R/B has.
My Decks
There is no matchup where you would ever want to side in thunderbolt.

Mostly I'm thinking Thunderbolt to fight Restoration Angel.  It's usually pretty obvious when they have it in hand, but it's not like I can just NOT attack them.  If I could drop a Thunderbolt on the Angel I maximize my damage I get through when I swing.  It's not like I need 4 Fires in most match ups.  Plenty of reach / ground creature Control left in my 12 other burn spells.  Only trouble is Luxoden Smiter, but I haven't seen those being run at my LGS outside of draft.
My Decks
I see your point.  I'll have to test and see just how much gain I get out of killing a flashed in Angel.  I hate getting 2-for-1'd but I might just have to suck it up.

I'm fiddling with my numbers a bit, I really want to work some Shred-Freaks into the MD.  Both to lower my curve and give me more consistant turn 2s where I can swing with multiple guys.  I think it'll boil down to Hellrider and Guttersnipe.  I could stand to lose a Volley though.  So maybe cut 1 of each for 3 Shred-Freaks in the MD, and free up some more SB room, maybe board the Hellrider and Guttersnipe for VS decks were I really need the extra push.
My Decks
Sign In to post comments