Return to Ravnica cards making waves in your groups?

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just wanted to see if anyone is seeing the impact of RtR cards in their groups.  One card that is making a huge difference in my decks is Vandalblast.  Holy freakin' crap this thing is good.  Also, Grave Betrayal + board wipe = nuts.

I also just wanted to have an interesting discussion.  There seems to be a decided lack of them in this forum lately.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Cyclonic Rift is very brutal in EDH, especially when powered with Boseiju, Who Shelters All. No matter what you're against Aggro, control, token, or etc.; you are litterally stripping the opponents naked. Then drop a mass land removal or mass discard to seal the game in your favor.
Cyclonic Rift is very brutal in EDH, especially when powered with Boseiju, Who Shelters All. No matter what you're against Aggro, control, token, or etc.; you are litterally stripping the opponents naked. Then drop a mass land removal or mass discard to seal the game in your favor.

I've actually added Cyclonic Rift to a couple of decks, but I have yet to experience the joy of casting it.  Hypersonic Dragon has also found a place in a deck, but I also have yet to exploit him. 

But Singe, don't use mass land removal.  Bad form.   

I've seen a Trostani, Selesnya's Voice as a commander with Collective Blessing in the deck. It was a pretty solid token/face beating deck.

Sawa Grave Betrayal in play, but either he didn't get going, or had no board wipes, or both. He was running a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, maybe that's how he was planning on making use of the Betrayal.

Other than that.....nothing much so far. Things that you'd assume people would jump on like Corpsejack Menace have not made an appearance yet. I imagine in another month things will be different. But so far RtR has not hit my local store's Commander decks like Avacyn did.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I built a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck with tons of big fat creatures that end up costing little to nothing, and it goes from piddling along to full-on nasty in one turn (Blightsteel Colossus, Utvara Hellkite, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, etc.) thanks to Rakdos's last ability and the deck's general potential to make opponents lose life by the truckload (Breath of Malfegor, Exsanguinate, the innocuous Pulse Tracker, etc). Rogue's Passage also helps it out.

I am currently working on a WUG deck with Jenara, Asura of War as the commander and then a bunch of RtR cards like Trostani, Selesnya's Voice, Armada Wurm, Martial Law and Isperia, Supreme Judge and other token makers/populaters/lockdown and plenty of buffs for Jenara (Righteous Authority, Eldrazi Conscription, etc). It will make good use of populate/detain, and have other good stuff like Supreme Verdict for good measure. It should be versatile with token swarms, fat commander damage, and general lockdown to guide it to the finish line one way or another depending on the rest of the board.

Return to Ravnica may not be revolutionizing EDH, but it has some awesome tools to make decks better.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Cyclonic rift - EDH BOMB
the new artifact removal, vandalblast, is pretty stupendous as well... see you noticed that tho XD

I mean I feel like every set always brings something new to the table, but the only real bomb that I see in regards to EDH is Cyclonic Rift, pretty hillarious when you follow it with a temporal cascade

Oh and of course the new wrath, detention sphere and abrupt decay are also going to be seeing edh play because good removal is good removal

The EDH Decks - White Artifact Ramp, Avacyn, Angel of Hope Blue Time Stretch, Azami, Lady of Scrolls Black Repeatable Recursion, Balthor the Defiled Red Goblin Gimmicks, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker Green Super Ramp, Azusa, Lost but Seeking

Grave Betrayal in my mono-black list has been pretty awesome. I've dropped that and then played Damnation to take the game a turn later.

I have Cyclonic Rift in my U/B deck, but I haven't played that deck in a while so I don't know how broken it is yet.
I got to ultimate Jace, Architect of Thought the first game that he was in my deck.  Someone had the bright idea to cast Obliterate while I had him ticking up.  He got me a free Ulamog, a Nicol Bolas Planeswalker, and my own Beacon of Tomorrows.
I won that game.

I know someone that's using Conjured Currency in a Zedruu deck, but I haven't seen it going yet.
Cyclonic rift - EDH BOMB
the new artifact removal, vandalblast, is pretty stupendous as well... see you noticed that tho XD

I mean I feel like every set always brings something new to the table, but the only real bomb that I see in regards to EDH is Cyclonic Rift, pretty hillarious when you follow it with a temporal cascade

Oh and of course the new wrath, detention sphere and abrupt decay are also going to be seeing edh play because good removal is good removal

I don't think Detention Sphere will see play that much in EDH, unless you can anticipate going against token decks.  What with the singleton rule, it's usefulness is limited almost solely to that point.  Do agree with Cyclonic Rift, Vandalblast and Grave Betrayal, though.
Cyclonic rift - EDH BOMB

I don't think Detention Sphere will see play that much in EDH, unless you can anticipate going against token decks.  What with the singleton rule, it's usefulness is limited almost solely to that point.  Do agree with Cyclonic Rift, Vandalblast and Grave Betrayal, though.

You're right detention sphere is just awful in a Zur deck. lol

The EDH Decks - White Artifact Ramp, Avacyn, Angel of Hope Blue Time Stretch, Azami, Lady of Scrolls Black Repeatable Recursion, Balthor the Defiled Red Goblin Gimmicks, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker Green Super Ramp, Azusa, Lost but Seeking

Its another oring...
Its another oring...

I hear everyone plays Sol Ring, 3 for one O-Ring sounds good.
Cyclonic rift is sometimes annoying when you want to bounce your own stuff... but its worth the annoyance. Vandalblast is nutty.

3DH4LIF3

Its another oring...

I bet you O ring is one of the top 10 most used cards in EDH.  Pretty much without a doubt in my mind.  Now this O ring requires a second color, but is substantially better.  I think detention sphere has a home in every single white/blue deck ever made.  Good players use good cards, just saying.

I'm the only person in my group who's made a splash with RtR cards.  Grave Betrayel goes well with Grave Pact.  So well that no one lets me get anything going with it. 
In addition to what has already been mentioned, Chromatic Lantern pretty disgusting.  I almost feel dirty when I cast it - almost. Laughing
In addition to what has already been mentioned, Chromatic Lantern pretty disgusting.  I almost feel dirty when I cast it - almost.

Yeah, that thing is boss.  When I finally get around to making a five-colored deck, that'll be the first thing I add.

Here's what I've seen be good so far:

Korozda Guildmage has been pretty good for me in my token decks.  Kill my guy with a targeted removal spell?  I'll just make a million tokens...

Corpsejack Menace in any deck that uses counters.  Ghave loves him...

Deathrite Shaman because it's another Birds of Paradise, Noble Hierarch, plus graveyard hate.  And he hits everyone...

Supreme Verdict because U/W needed more sweepers.  Especially ones no one can do anything about.

Rogue's Passage.  Flat out ends games.

Underworld Connections.  Because I can't get enough life for extra card effects in black.

And I know they're reprints, but the shocklands (and guild gates for cheaper players).  Now I don't have to spend over $20 on another dual land for every deck.

I expect Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord to be bonkers, but haven't gotten to use it yet.
I bet you O ring is one of the top 10 most used cards in EDH.  Pretty much without a doubt in my mind.  Now this O ring requires a second color, but is substantially better.  I think detention sphere has a home in every single white/blue deck ever made.  Good players use good cards, just saying.

O-ring is not in the top 10 EDH cards, thats just silly. It is not even the most prevelant white removal in EDH.

Necropolis Regent can be very brutal in EDH.
Necropolis Regent can be very brutal in EDH.

I considered getting one for my Ob Nixilis EDH deck, but I don't know what I'd cut or if it wouldn't be too try-hard/win-moar.
Here's what I've seen be good so far:

Korozda Guildmage has been pretty good for me in my token decks.  Kill my guy with a targeted removal spell?  I'll just make a million tokens...

Corpsejack Menace in any deck that uses counters.  Ghave loves him...

Deathrite Shaman because it's another Birds of Paradise, Noble Hierarch, plus graveyard hate.  And he hits everyone...

Supreme Verdict because U/W needed more sweepers.  Especially ones no one can do anything about.

Rogue's Passage.  Flat out ends games.

Underworld Connections.  Because I can't get enough life for extra card effects in black.

And I know they're reprints, but the shocklands (and guild gates for cheaper players).  Now I don't have to spend over $20 on another dual land for every deck.

I expect Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord to be bonkers, but haven't gotten to use it yet.

I've been foiling my Jarad deck (foil RtR art, not the Duel Deck one), and I've been playing extensively with a lot of these cards.  Menance is great.  The Guildmage, while it initially doesn't look like much, can do some sick things by granting Intimidate.  Envasion is always good.

Necropolis Regent is awesome too.  Combine it with Corpsejack Menance and you're looking good.

I also like Jarad's Orders
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com

He's pretty bonkers.  The ability to fling creatures at the whole group is nice.  In a dedicated graveyard deck he can get big, so he can be a general damage threat.  But I'd say his best use is to get a big creature or two and sac them to win the game.

He's pretty bonkers.  The ability to fling creatures at the whole group is nice.  In a dedicated graveyard deck he can get big, so he can be a general damage threat.  But I'd say his best use is to get a big creature or two and sac them to win the game.

I think he's gonna be a hate magnet.  A guy in my group started using him, and I made a point to save my graveyard hate for him.  So did everyone else.  The deck never got off the ground.  After "visiting" other groups through the last year, it seems like graveyard hate is finally seeing the widespread acceptance it should've had all along.

Oh yes, and now we have an instant speed graveyard nuke.

Trostani's found her way into Ghave, Rith, Treva, and Doran. Niv-Mizzet has (like his old self) found his way into all my decks. Isperia has a place with Rafiq. Rakdos is now with Kaalia. And Jarad? I've been meaning to try a Jarad deck, but he goes well with his sister, and with The Mimeoplasm, and perhaps as a Ghave endgame.

Corpsejack Menace is common in decks. Kresh and Doran both love it.

Rogue's Passage: Unblockable for all!

Deathrite Shaman: Graveyard hate.

Chromatic Lantern: Having another Manalith is good. Having one that is also a Prismatic Omen is even better.

Rakdos Charm: Graveyard nuke.

Collective Blessing: Another anthem! Yay for Chorus, Trostani, Rith, and Ghave decks!
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
This set has given me so much ammo for my Rith deck that I'm perplexed as to what to take out.  I pulled my third Trostani last night, and stuff like Growing Ranks and Collective Blessing seem like no-brainers.  It's tough because I had finally tweaked the deck to where I liked it.

I think he's gonna be a hate magnet.  A guy in my group started using him, and I made a point to save my graveyard hate for him.  So did everyone else.  The deck never got off the ground. 

He absolutely draws hate, thought not as bad as some generals.  And graveyard hate shuts him down.  But if it gets going, watch out.

I think he's gonna be a hate magnet.  A guy in my group started using him, and I made a point to save my graveyard hate for him.  So did everyone else.  The deck never got off the ground. 

He absolutely draws hate, thought not as bad as some generals.  And graveyard hate shuts him down.  But if it gets going, watch out.

Not as bad as some generals...yet.  I think he'll reach the level of Zur eventually:  hated to the point where it's not even worth playing him anymore.

One person in my group built a Jarad deck. He flopped about 3 different rednitions of the deck before he finally got it working well enough to be considered playable. Maybe my meta is just a bit higher on the competetive deck building spectrum than others but it was kinda weird. I looked through the deck to see what he should change out and every card pretty much looked bonkers good but a lot of the games he would just sit there twiddling his thumbs. He pretty much can't win without a Worldspine Wurm or Lord of Extinction which means it's easy to stop still. I personally never liked jarad for the exact reasons my friend had issues with so I'm pretty surprised to hear people saying Jarad would reach the same levels as a Zur deck.
We banned Cyclonic Rift in my playgroup already, that instant speed seemed like too much power to us.

Rakdos Charm and Rest in Peace are nice for graveyard hate.

Rakdos's Return is an inexpensive way to nullify card advantage if someone is drawing too much. I lost Sun Titan, Marshal's Anthem, Defy Death, and another card to it the other day :/

Teleportal and Rogue's Passage win games.

Pithing Needle is just useful. Shuts down an annoying ability for 1 mana.

I really like Codex Shredder for my Reya Dawnbringer deck. I can use it to mill myself or mill the target of top-of-deck tutors. The other day one guy started with Leyline of the Void and I played Codex Shredder turn 1, milled the guy on my left and hit Mikaeus, the Unhallowed right off the bat. It was pretty funny stuff, but I did feel bad so I didn't mill him anymore (5-player game).
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Pithing Needle is just useful. Shuts down an annoying ability for 1 mana.

Even for planeswalkers.  Hate seeing SorinTamiyo?  I had it happen to me with Ajani back in the Alara block...quite infuriating.
Rest in Peace is almost too mean.  I was thinking of putting Rogue's Passage in my Lord of Tresserhorn deck, but...that seems too mean as well.  I could be down with Teleportal though.

What I need to do is find a way to abuse Epic Experiment

Build a deck with big giant spells, and regrowth type effects.  Cast Epic Experiment, cast those spells for free,  bring Epic Experiment back, repeat the process.  Or run it in a Riku deck and copy it, maybe add some other copy effects to make it sillier.  I don't know if it's abusive, but it should be fun to watch it go off. 
Worldspine Wurm makes a huge splash in my Kresh deck. With Sneak Attack it's pretty unfair. Also, Doubling Season and Vraska the Unseen is an extremely broken way to win with that deck. And my Child of Alara deck has wept tears of joy over the reprinted shock lands as well.

Build a deck with big giant spells, and regrowth type effects.  Cast Epic Experiment, cast those spells for free,  bring Epic Experiment back, repeat the process.  Or run it in a Riku deck and copy it, maybe add some other copy effects to make it sillier.  I don't know if it's abusive, but it should be fun to watch it go off. 

That won't work : when you cast regrowth with Epic experiment, you need a target, but Epic experiment is still on the stack, not in your 'yard. 
A friend of mine built an epic experiment deck helmed by maelstrom wanderer. You don't regrowth it so much as flash it back with Past in Flames I think. The deck seemed to do well, and actually used with great effectiveness cards like Mind's Desire and Ignite Memories.

3DH4LIF3

Cards like [C]turnabout[/c], time spiral, and rude awakening are pretty key to that deck too. I think riku is better than maelstrom wanderer at the helm.
I can definately vouch for Trostani and Jarad's viability as commanders.

Trostanni can build up your life total to insurmountable levels when efficiently costed beaters hit the field every turn. The populating ability ensures a steady supply of blockers and life without using up any cards and once a big enough token is in place alongaside doubling season and/or parallel lives you're dealing with 10+ power and lifegain every turn for a paltry :W::G:. Storm Herd and Ajani Goldmane's ultimate also combo nicely with the triyad.

Jarad. Well just pair him with Kokusho or similar and some recursion...

There's lots of new options for generals in RtR and I imagine shocklands are going to find their way into a lot more decks...
Chromatic Lantern is of course going to be a staple, because unlimited mana fixing is always good...
A slew of new X spells for the ambitious... lots of good stuff.
Firemind's Foresight intrigues me.  What are some good targets?
Counterspell, Cyclonic Rift, Chaos Warp, Starstorm, Comet Storm, Reiterate, mana drain, Capsize, Abjure possibly, Blustersquall perhaps, certain decks enjoy clockspinning, Pongify maybe, Spell Burst, Magnetic theft, Forbid for decks that draw lots or use the graveyard...And I'm sure there's plenty more.

Outside of Izzet, the list grows even longer, and is greatly improved by say, white removal instants.
It can be used to fetch combo pieces, bullets, or sweepers, and that seems quite potent.
Korozda Guildmage is a sleeper hit in our group. Psuedo counter for spot removal, excessive token generation, and a mechanism to slip through Infect and the all important Vraska the Unseen synergy makes it a great two cost creature.

Don't get me started on how powerful Selesnya Charm is...so many creatures exiled, so little time!