Mono Red Burn with some big boy action

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, I have had this deck for years. It is the one I started building when about 12 years old and which I am still, more than 10 years later, quite fond of. Not always efficient, but I like it. Feedback and criticism are welcome. This is not an online deck, I own it as it is described here in real life. All my artifacts are still brown though and the cards are from older editions than this page indicates sometimes.

It is a bit of everything and I have a lot of fun playing it. I still need Urza's Rage two more times and another Thran Dynamo or two would also be great.

The deck has good points and bad points. Ironing out a few things should make it pretty slick. There are a few things to consider as a deckbuilder that really need addressed.

1. I assume you play pretty casual with friends and such. Even so, Boil is strictly a sideboard card. Even when I play casually I never maindeck a particular color hate. Anyone you play not playing islands will make this a dead card. Dead cards make YOU dead. Try to limit the number of cards in your deck that are narrow focused and lean harder on cards that are more versatile.  If you're worried about counterspells you can always sideboard a red elemental blast. Cinder cloud is o.k. as it kills a creature regardless, but it works better versus white and a better card could probably take its place maindeck.

2. Your deck is a mana rushing build bent on throwing a huge spell(s) for the win. There are better ways to produce large amounts of mana than camping on manafacts which are particularly narrow in use. Try utilizing a single infinite mana combo that can kill in a single shot instead of trying to pull off multiple large spells over several turns, or focusing on things that produce mana but can do other tasks as well.

3. Utilize better colored mana sources. The Cameo is nice but you don't want to rely on two copies to play all your black containing spells. Sure you can cheat the dragon into play with the amulet but again at one copy it is far too unreliable to draw to count on reasonably. Try adding a few lands that produce both colors to alleviate the color problems.

Its a start but I don't want to get too technical with you as I know you are working with what you have. Try those simple changes though and see if it helps.

The deck has good points and bad points. Ironing out a few things should make it pretty slick. There are a few things to consider as a deckbuilder that really need addressed.

1. I assume you play pretty casual with friends and such. Even so, Boil is strictly a sideboard card. Even when I play casually I never maindeck a particular color hate. Anyone you play not playing islands will make this a dead card. Dead cards make YOU dead. Try to limit the number of cards in your deck that are narrow focused and lean harder on cards that are more versatile.  If you're worried about counterspells you can always sideboard a red elemental blast. Cinder cloud is o.k. as it kills a creature regardless, but it works better versus white and a better card could probably take its place maindeck.

2. Your deck is a mana rushing build bent on throwing a huge spell(s) for the win. There are better ways to produce large amounts of mana than camping on manafacts which are particularly narrow in use. Try utilizing a single infinite mana combo that can kill in a single shot instead of trying to pull off multiple large spells over several turns, or focusing on things that produce mana but can do other tasks as well.

3. Utilize better colored mana sources. The Cameo is nice but you don't want to rely on two copies to play all your black containing spells. Sure you can cheat the dragon into play with the amulet but again at one copy it is far too unreliable to draw to count on reasonably. Try adding a few lands that produce both colors to alleviate the color problems.

Its a start but I don't want to get too technical with you as I know you are working with what you have. Try those simple changes though and see if it helps.

Yep, I'm playing pretty casually ^^.

Regarding Boil yes, I guess I will replace this then, but still red is pretty weak when it comes to either countering spells or destroying enchantments, so I consider mana controll a better option.

What would such an infinite mana combo look like in a deck like this? With the manafacts I have here (under ideal conditions) I can cast the first searing wind in turn no. 3, so pretty early on. This worked out quite well for me in the past, but I admit that I do not know how many ways to destroy artifacts came around in the last 20 editions or so.

Which lands can you recommend that produce both red and black mana?
Heres a quick mana infinity combo for you. Runs well with artifact heavy decks anyway yet gives you a couple creats to play with as well.

Voltaic Construct + Metalworker.  Use your lands to pull the colored mana trigger but shoot for an X spell for the kill.  As far as dual lands, its really up to what you have or what you want to spend to acquire good lands. For me, while Badlands is ideal, you can go for some lesser ones like Blood Crypt or Graven Cairnsor simply throw in a few copies of
Heres a quick mana infinity combo for you. Runs well with artifact heavy decks anyway yet gives you a couple creats to play with as well.

Voltaic Construct + Metalworker.  Use your lands to pull the colored mana trigger but shoot for an X spell for the kill.  As far as dual lands, its really up to what you have or what you want to spend to acquire good lands. For me, while Badlands is ideal, you can go for some lesser ones like Blood Crypt or Graven Cairnsor simply throw in a few copies of

Thanks a lot mate. Not too bad of an idea. Might change some things accordingly if I come across any of those cards. Especially that infinite mana combo looks like a great deal and I have quite a few cards I can drop to keep the deck itself down to sixty in total.

I have one question though, or rather a couple:

1. What to do when an indestructible creature enters the field?

2. Will disintegrate remove a creature from the game that has "show it and shuffle it into your library when put on a graveyard"?
On #1, if you can, simply ignore it and shoot for the dome. Unless its a platinum angel (that somehow gets indestructible) you should be able to outrun it. If it is a platinum angel, you better beat it before it hits the table anyway.

On #2, that would depend on the creature. From the text, it looks like you are talking about Progenitus which you couldn't target anyway, otherwise its a matter of wording. However, if it says when it is put in a graveyard first and then is shuffled, I believe it would be removed. If its like Progenitus when it says "If" it would be this, do this instead, the replacement effect would take precedent first. And as such it would never actually get the option to fall into the graveyard where the removal from disintegrate would change the destination... I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure...