Caves of Chaos Eeeeppp.

A few encounters that were rough on the PCs. I had to fudge some dice rolls or the party requires a Sorcerer/Wizard and burning hands.

Area 6.
20 Kobolds. Action economy can overwhelm PCs even if Kobolds suck theres a large amount of them.

Area 19.
Similar to area 6. 15 Goblins, a group initiatve with the Goblins winning can be very brutal. Even without that its still 15 goblins who are nasty if they use alot of missile wepaons.

Area 29,30,31.
 These hobgoblins react. 10 hobgoblins+ a leader type all ending up in the same room is a bit much even for level 2 PCs. Was a TPK but I fudged some dice rolls.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Yeah, Wizards doesn't know how to make monsters. The solution seems so simple and yet they are trying everything else to preserve bounded accuracy.

How many players did you have? And yeah the adventure assumes 4 players, one of each class. So having a wizard who can cast burning hands would be needed.

As a general rule if you have 4 players you can only have 10 monsters at most. (given the low hp) as the pcs get more hp you can increase this number.
Yeah, Wizards doesn't know how to make monsters. The solution seems so simple and yet they are trying everything else to preserve bounded accuracy.

How many players did you have? And yeah the adventure assumes 4 players, one of each class. So having a wizard who can cast burning hands would be needed.

As a general rule if you have 4 players you can only have 10 monsters at most. (given the low hp) as the pcs get more hp you can increase this number.
If you read carefully you'll find that not all these monsters are supposed to be in these rooms all the time...a lot of them are assumed to be out of the lair raiding, pillaging and doing all the other fun things evil humanoids get to do, especially at night.  That should tone your encounters down a bit.

And bounded accuracy just feels right to me...do you really want to have to run encounters with more than 10 monsters anyway?  Maybe sometimes, but I personally wouldn't make a habit of it.
 Erm the numbers involved were the lower numbers as one of the encounters was somehting like 40 but its assumed that XYZ are away. Area 6 the Kobolds are supposed to move round if alerted but the PCs got there very quickly before I had time to move them around.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Man, it IS 40 kobolds, that's insane...my mistake!  I guess you do have to have a wizard...though with all the noise 20 or so would be making I guess the party wouldn't HAVE to stumble into them unless they just wanted to...
Yup going into the caves at night is a suicide pact. I think some of those races have disadvanatge in bright light though which was not there in Basic D&D so they should really be afk at night and have the tribe their during the day. I think it also assumed you had 5-6 players back in the day. The 4 man party is a 3rd ed concept while 4th assumed you had 5.

Fear is the Mind Killer

I would think entering at night would be safer...true more of them are awake, but also more of them are gone away on mischief.  If you did that kobold common room would probably only have 15 or so.
Up to forty adult kobolds and eight whelps (noncombatants) are quartered here. Half or more of the adults are out foraging, hunting, and raiding, especially at night. At least eight adult kobolds always stay behind to guard the young.

So really you're looking at 20 kobolds to fight. Unless they're all using slings and win initiative it shouldn't be too much of a problem as they suck at hitting with their daggers. But yeah you probably need a wizard with a Burning Hands or Sleep spell handy... plus, having 20 monsters all on the same initiative count seems weird.
Something occurs to me:  It says up to forty adults are quartered in the room in question, but it's assumed  that no one of them is always present in the room.  Ok, you have 2 guard posts with regular kobolds, one just outside the entrance, one just inside.  These post a total of 15 kobolds.  It does NOT say these kobolds are quartered at the guard posts, only that they are stationed there, so the only thing that makes sense is if these guards are drawn from the main group in the common room--they have to be quartered somewhere.  If this is true then the most there could possibly be in the common room at one time assuming the guard posts are manned is 40-15=25.  And the only time this would happen would be if all the kobolds were home at the same time, maybe for a feast or something.  The actual number in the common room at the moment the PCs happened to come along would be about 16-17 during the day (about 1/3 are away from the lair raiding or whatever) or 8-9 at night (about 2/3 are not home).

Maybe I think too much but that's the way I would interpret it.
Sign In to post comments