Disintegrate versus regeneration

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponent casts a disintegrate on my creature with regeneration, can I regenerate my creature?
Disintegrate
No.  It says so right on the card.
You can activate a regenerate ability, but it will fail to prevent the destruction.
MTG Rules Advisor
You can play abilities that would regenerate it if for some reason you want to, but they won't do anything; Disintegrate explicitly says that creature can't be regenerated this turn, and that text means what it says, not something else. (Besides, if it would die that turn it's exiled instead, which regeneration doesn't help against in any event.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Sorry. Playing 3rd edition cards. You responses prompted me to look up a picture on Google. Didn't realize text had changed. Thanks!
Sorry. Playing 3rd edition cards. You responses prompted me to look up a picture on Google. Didn't realize text had changed. Thanks!

Note that what is printed on the card doesnt matter, and you dont need to use Google to look at images of the cards.

Use gatherer.wizards.com to search for the card, and ignore the printed wording: the game uses the Oracle text, regardless of what version of the card you have, or what is printed on it.

~ Tim     

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
OP: I feel compelled to point out that even the Unlimited printing (which I assume is what you mean by 3rd Edition) says the creature can't be regenerated.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

OP: I feel compelled to point out that even the Unlimited printing (which I assume is what you mean by 3rd Edition) says the creature can't be regenerated.

the Revised printing however does not

but as has been said, it's irrelevant what's printed on the card, Oracle wording is what matters
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments