Possible Orzhov Mechanic

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
From what I here about the Orzhov Syndicate, they deal with many contracts. So possibly, this could be the mechanic.

Agreement X- When this creature enters the battlefield, you may put X +1/+1 counters on it. If it does not deal X amount of damage to an opponent or opponents controls in X turns, destroy this creature, then be dealt X damage where X is the amount of +1/+1 counters on creature.

I'm aware the text is lengthy, but it gets the main point across.

Not a chance.

There is waaaaaaaay too much book-keeping in this ability, its incredibly narrow, and feels more red than black-white.  
Yeah no way. An ability that requires you to track two different things and you want to put it on multiple cards? Doesn't work at all at common.

Orzhov is probably going to have some sort of extortion flavored mechanic. Pile more and more "debt" onto the opponent and make the payments lethal
Orzhov doesn't just make offers, it makes offers you can't refuse. It's supposed to be the mafia of Ravnica, after all.

Rest In Peace

Orzhov's mechanic will be graveyard-related.  I predict that there will be a compliment to Scavenge where you can exile creatures from graveyard for Spirit tokens of varying power levels or numbers.

Like Linger 3: Exile this creature from your graveyard and put 3 1/1 Spirit tokens with flying iinto play.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

The Doomed Traveler mechanic fits aesthetically, but it might be a bit limited.
Rest In Peace

Orzhov's mechanic will be graveyard-related.

I agree, also the dude in Cremate has an Orzhov logo.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Rest In Peace

There is no way you can be 100% sure that its graveyard related yet.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Of course not, but the last one was, and Orzhov's specialty is cheating death.

Their guild leaders are literally all dead. 
Rest In Peace

There is no way you can be 100% sure that its graveyard related yet.

Sorry, did I sound too sure?

Edit ^^ "I believe Orzhov's mechanic will be graveyard-related."

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

Orzhov did had a certain affinity for the graveyard, but this was only because they had a focus on death triggers. This isnt the same thing. The Orzhov could care less if their graveyard is full, so long as things are dying.
I do agree that a Graveyard based mechanic for Ohrzov is likely though. Just only 70% chance in my mind compared to Fenix'es and Long_Con's 10% idea.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I don't mind graveyard mechanics, but I really hope its not just the Doomed Traveller mechanic or some variant of Undying.  I'd like something fairly unique.
IMAGE(http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/TsengFox/20804.jpg)
I highly doubt it, but something interesting that crossed my mind was.

"When this creature dies put a 1/1 black thrull creature token and a 1/1 white spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield."
There is no way they would be able to attah insane value like that onto creatures at common
Sure they can. You'll just be paying 3 or 4 mana for a 0/1 or 1/1.
Orzhov did had a certain affinity for the graveyard, but this was only because they had a focus on death triggers. This isnt the same thing. The Orzhov could care less if their graveyard is full, so long as things are dying.

Good point. So something more along the lines of Morbid?
I don't think they'll be reusing a mechanic a) so soon, or b) on a Ravnica guild (where everything else is going to be new, you'd have to think), but I for one would buy the heck out of Orzhov Morbid cards.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Ok now apply that to multiple cards at common and uncommon to make limited work. I know I would be SUPER EXCITED if my mechanic show case was a bunch of do nothing 3 and 4 drops that are essentially glorified chumps in limited and do nothing to provide a good base for a possible constructed deck because the power level simply isn't there

Good point. So something more along the lines of Morbid?
I don't think they'll be reusing a mechanic a) so soon, or b) on a Ravnica guild (where everything else is going to be new, you'd have to think), but I for one would buy the heck out of Orzhov Morbid cards.

MaRo did say that if they had to bring back an existing mechanic for each of the guilds, Orzhov's would be morbid.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

I'd want something with versatility. Almost every keyword in Ravnica barring Bloodthirst had multiple uses and mechanics that could be designed around it; admittedly RTR's mechanics are less versatile, so chances are Orzhov will get something more linear this time but hopefully will be less disadvantageous than Haunt was.

Hmm...how about exiling cards from your graveyard as a cost to activate an ability? For example, "Exile target creature card" or "exile target sorcery card". It could work similar to Retrace only with exiling cards from your graveyard rather than discarding land cards.

It's worth noting that the mechanics of adjacent blocks and sets are designed to synergize well, so looking at what white and black get in Innistrad and M13 could give us an idea of what Orzhov might get in RTR. Innistrad keywords that could interest Orzhov include Undying, Morbid, and Fateful Hour, the first two of which involve creatures dying and one of which involves low life. M13 gave white and black Exalted, which boosts lone attackers.

MaRo confirmed OP's mechanic on Twitter.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
What we have to realize is that each new mechanic in RtR has an almost synergy bond with the previous mechanic of the Ravnica set. For example Selesnya populating creature in RtR and having that creature used for Mana in the previous set.

So Orzhov has a graveyard trigger effect in Ravnica as well as focusing on bleeding the opponent.

So focus on a mechanic that can work with that

Really? Its a bit confusing as it doesn't really mesh well with Haunt.
My guesses on other threads...

Afterlife
 (when this creature dies, exile it. If the exiled card is a creature card, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that card except that its a spirit in addition to its other types.)

Martyrdom X (You may cast this spell for its martyrdom cost whenever you could cast an instant spell. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)

This is an evoke variant, requiring ETB abilities to work
What we have to realize is that each new mechanic in RtR has an almost synergy bond with the previous mechanic of the Ravnica set. For example Selesnya populating creature in RtR and having that creature used for Mana in the previous set. So Orzhov has a graveyard trigger effect in Ravnica as well as focusing on bleeding the opponent. So focus on a mechanic that can work with that

This is not true at all. Detain has nothing to do with Foresight. Unleash has nothing to do with Hellbent.
What we have to realize is that each new mechanic in RtR has an almost synergy bond with the previous mechanic of the Ravnica set.

Not at all. The mission statement for RTR block was to make it so that if you took a bunch of cards with the same guild watermark and mixed them together, you'd have a coherent feeling deck; not to have synergy with previous keywords.

Really? Its a bit confusing as it doesn't really mesh well with Haunt.

ಠ_ಠ
Afterlife (when this creature dies, exile it. If the exiled card is a creature card, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that card except that its a spirit in addition to its other types.)

Afterlife is neat, but I doubt they'll have a mechanic that is so functionally similar to undying while undying is still in standard.

Martyrdom X (You may cast this spell for its martyrdom cost whenever you could cast an instant spell. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.) This is an evoke variant, requiring ETB abilities to work

Or a leave/death trigger.

Sorry guys I read that wrong (about the guild's synergy) >.<

Well, thats understandable.  Still...isn't +1/+1 counters more of a Simic thing?
Well, thats understandable.  Still...isn't +1/+1 counters more of a Simic thing?

Sharing stats and abilities between creatures is the Simic thing.

And Gruul.
And Golgari.
What I would like (and I think would be fitting) is an inbuilt Martyr's Bond. Something like:

Orzhov Adept |

Creature - Human Cleric

(): Sacrifice Orzhov Adept: Regenerate target creature

Martyr 1 (When this permanent goes to the graveyard each opponent sacrifices a permanent that shares a card type with it)

2/2

This would of course be coupled with plenty sac outlets that represent the higher echelons in the syndicate.
Martyr has two problems that I can see.

1. The flavor doesn't make a whole helluva lot of sense on non-creatures. How can a land or a manarock be a martyr?

2. This seems too strong/narrow to be keyworded on a bunch of common cards.
I doesn't have to be named Martyr obviously. You could also limit it to creatures for flavor.

I don't really think that it would be too powerful. There are plenty of cards doing something like it. And anyway it would just be more powerful in multiplayer. In single player it would be one for one of his choice.

And Gruul.
And Golgari.

And Selesnya

Green has the most fun with +1/+1 counters, but everybody gets them.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Hmm...how about exiling cards from your graveyard as a cost to activate an ability? For example, "Exile target creature card" or "exile target sorcery card". It could work similar to Retrace only with exiling cards from your graveyard rather than discarding land cards.

so far this idea fits the most with cards in the rtr block like Rest in Peace and Cremation (rest in peace would make it so orzhov players cant play spells with that mechanic, and cremation allows you to exile a card-which is a draw back- to draw a card) i think you could be onto something

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Everyone, remember that the mechanic need only tangentially be connected to the main theme of the guild. The original Orzhov had a death trigger mechanic, but their main strategy was "gain life, then spend it to do things" control, e.g. Orzhov Guildmage.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

And Gruul.
And Golgari.

And Selesnya

Green has the most fun with +1/+1 counters, but everybody gets them.

I know everyone gets them.

Hopefully the mechanic turns out to be somewhat unique.

Gravecast (You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying life equal to its converted mana cost in addition to its other costs.)

Alternatively:

Gravecast [cost] - [effect] (Activate this ability only once each turn and only if this card is in your graveyard.)

Gravecast (You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying life equal to its converted mana cost in addition to its other costs.)

That'll turn degenerate really quickly.

Alternatively:

Gravecast [cost] - [effect] (Activate this ability only once each turn and only if this card is in your graveyard.)

I like this one better.  It makes Yixlid Jailer somewhat relevant.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

A third idea I have is an ability with an effect related to what the card normally does when you cast it but on a smaller scale that applies while it's in the graveyard.

Life Investment
Instant
You gain 5 life.
Keyword - At the beginning of your upkeep, you may gain 1 life if this card is in your graveyard.

Spirit Line
Sorcery
Put three 1/1 white Spirit creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
Keyword - At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is in your graveyard you may exile a creature card from your graveyard. If you do, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Pontiff's Slander
Sorcery
Creatures get -X/-X until end of turn.
Keyword - Creatures get -1/-1 as long as this card is in your graveyard.

Orzhov Taxation
Sorcery
Look at target player's hand and choose a nonland card in it. That player discards that card unless he or she pays .
Keyword - At the beginning of your upkeep, if this card is in your graveyard target player discards a card unless he or she pays .

I've thought of this. It sees fine for higher cost cards, but all of the cheap cards would have to have pretty weak effects to justify how unbelievably recurrable they are.

Groovy. Probably make it sorcery speed so you can only do it on your turn, otherwise you can do it on each player's turn.
Sign In to post comments