Looking for a Tabletop software program to play w/friends across country.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone know of any good tabletop rpg tools that would allow our group to play with friends over the internet?

Something easy to use would be a plus.
I use Maptool. It has a bit of a learning curve for the more advanced features, but it has video tutorials to help, and you can easily play a game without the more complicated features anyway. Oh and its free. I've found that depending on the computer I'm using and my firewall/router settings, sometimes it is better to download it and sometimes it is better to use the weblaunch version.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Anyone know of any good tabletop rpg tools that would allow our group to play with friends over the internet?

Something easy to use would be a plus.

youre in luck!

frothsof4e.blogspot.com/2012/10/check-ou...
I typically use Gametable for the map and Pidgin (or other IRC program) for chat.

I've run games while in Michigan and Alaska with players all over the US and one in Europe. (One in the UK, one in California, one on the east coast, etc.) It works pretty well, with most issues being due to things like scheduling conflicts.

I've had the occasional connection issue, but that's more because I have a very finicky firewall. Amongst all of my friends, I am apparently the only one who has this particular connection issue. (I have to use Hamachi to host a game in order to get around this issue. Connecting to other hosts isn't a problem and no one else I know has the hosting difficulties.)

EDIT: Gametable and Pidgin are also 100% free. It's also very easy to make pogs for GT with just an image editing program (I usually use Photoshop). There are utility programs to make it even easier, too.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)