What are you infamous for?

109 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is it that you do so much that everyone you regularly play against knows it? Expects it? Mayhaps even loaths it?

Play counterspells? Land destruction? Board sweepers?

I've become infamous at the FLGS for sand-bagging lands. Quit frequently opponents will refuse to swing into me when they have the advantage because I have lands in play untapped and three cards in hand. After I turn the game around and win, I'll flash my mittful of lands at them. Sometimes being known for this works against me, at least one guy at the FLGS expects it so much that he barely considers my cards in hand. Sometimes it works for me anyway, because folks will expect that I'm bluffing, swing, and watch me tear them open with tricks they weren't anticipating.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Formerly playing mono red aggro, now playing zombies, always being poor and dressing like a goddamn weirdo.
For being a jerk mostly....but seriously, I'm infamous in my circles for 1: running to many nonbasic lands and artifacts, people can plan around that crap easily enough, 2: being taken down to 1 life and then winning the game, 3: Timetwister effects and Memory Jar, they're my favorite things to do in MTG and I'll pack them into any deck I can.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I also sandbag lands a lot. Plenty of times I've bluffed unfavorable attacks into players who've played against me a bit and get rewarded for having nothing. I don't make a habit of doing it all the time though. I love to hear "So you've got 'x'" when I actually don't. 

I was known for playing zombies because since I got back into standard it was the only deck I had for a while. But people still expect me to play it even though I've been playing reanimator for a while now but whatever.  
For being zany mostly. I tend to be the guy who brings the decks where half the table is like "This is awesome," and the other half is like "This is so not Fox only Final Destination no items, I hate it." :33

That or my Shirei deck. Which [ersonally I love because I accidentallied a deck where skullclamp would be terrible (synergywise at least, I mean it's still a goddamned skullclamp ), and Chimney Imp nearly got me kicked out of a multiplayer game. Hell, I have one friend who was like "Red sleeves, I scoop." at the start of a game.

TL,DR: As my friend put it when borrowing one of my decks, "[name] built it, so it's either going to be amazing or amusing."
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
Making bad plays in FFA games simply to speed the game up for everyone.  Sometimes, though, I can turn those bad plays to my advantage.

Also, my decks are fairly static once built - my playing one specific card is often enough for the rest of the group to ID the deck and act accordingly. 

The discussion of sandbagging lands and running combat-important instants makes me think I need to a few decks that do this, if only to shake things up.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
20Counter.
It only happened once, but my friends still play around it. They haven't alpha'd me since I once alpha'd into a stalled board to convince them to alpha into a Batwing Brume. Now I pretty much alpha strike with impunity in my group.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Making decks that only work well [i]in theory[i]. Winning with a Kavu deck.
Every time I get out a deck, someone will say, "Oh, that deck" in a way that makes it clear that it holds a special place in their heart.  No matter what deck I choose.

Also, for dressing weirdly (sleeveless shirt + skirt + BEST SLIPPERS EVER is fairly common), and always coming in second in drafts (I've won maybe two non-MTGO drafts ever, but gotten 2nd a ridiculous number of times).

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Using creatures with Haste. Defending browbeat. Also, I once played a Land destruction deck casually. Never lived than down.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Having Dispel to back up the key moments in my decks.  It's especially funny when I Dispel a flashed-back Syncopate that they dropped a Snapcaster Mage to play, only to watch the mage fall to my now-uncontested Zombie Apocalypse.

And wearing one of my three dozen berets.
Mainly playing strategies that are overpowered (The Mimeoplasm) or decks that are mediocre (Pyromancer Ascension) or people just don't like (M B I).

Otherwise, I hope I'm a fun guy to play against, despite my deck building choices.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Winning with Gravitational Shift.
I'm known for playing green. Mainly because I played UGr Thresh, Survival Elves, Berserk Stompy, Lands, and Maverick for years on end. Now is one of the rare times in the last six years in which I'm not playing green in Legacy.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Being on the first community team to lose to WotC.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Going from "silly" to "nightmare" in multiplayer games

Esper deck that's not doing much, just reviving junk creatures?  Scourglass comes out, followed by endlessly recurring the Scourglass (not technically infinite, but how many Plague Winds does one actually need with Sharuum the Hegemon on the field?).  Game 2 is basically 3-on-1 and the "Silly" esper deck still wins handily

Braids, Conjurer Adept EDH?  Just a bunch of junky mid-sized creatures and a few card selection spells?  then Magus of the Future comes out and very shortly I've got at least a third of my library on the battlefield and as many turns as I need to finish it

Janky 66-card almost-all-artifact deck, spends its first turns doing nothing but laying down mana myr?  Then the Kuldotha Forgemaster appears and I've got Platinum Angel and Wurmcoil Engine coming out my ears, with options to grab whatever else I need to survive from an oversized toolbox.

I'm not exactly a "Combo" player (I seldom 'go off' and win in one turn), but I do tend towards hybrid-style decks with a lot of powerful synergies, so the psychological effect is similar: harmless pieces come together into something game-winningly powerful.  At this point, everyone expects it, so I've got the heat on me from turn 1 as the table's threat.  My deckbuilding skills have... risen to the occassion, fueling the cycle with more hostile if slightly more predictable Arcum Dagsson-fueled or Melira, Sylvok Outcased-based strategies (The latterof which DOES go infinite and wipe an entire table in one turn)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

My casual playgroup mostly knows me for making creatureless or nearly creatureless decks.  I even have a couple creature heavy decks and I still get the "so does this deck have any creatures in it?" comments whenever I pull something new out.  Also for taking out multiple people at once with combos... so I'm usually stuck being "the threat" even when I try to build random janky fun decks.

Being on the first community team to lose to WotC.

Being a little harsh on yourself there... 
I "always play red"... even when Im playing Mono-white or Mono-green, or UB etc. In the end I got the Inferno Titan playmat, just because "I always play red".

Im also a bit particular about things matching. Fot example, if Im playing a red deck it will be in red sleeves in a red deckbox, and I will use a red D20 to record my life total. 

Right now Im infamous for being banned from the FLGS because I dared to mention the words "trading standards" within earshot of one of the owners little spies. Wanting prize breakdown transparency and a reasonable length of time to use prize credit were the final straws... 

Ive heard that whenever the store owner tries to do anything dodgy/mistreats customers, everyone shouts "Trading standards!". Im happy enough with this legacy. ;)

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Two things-

Gamewise, I'm the guy who wins by not losing, my wins are methodical and my smartest opponents scoop if I get enough advantage so that we have enough time for another game.

Tourney-structurewise, I'm the guy who doesn't place often (but should), but often have a large impact on who will place. This is to say friends of mine often loathe getting paired down with me while they're on a hot-streak because I play in a way that is very hard to outright beat or lose to. My meta is fairly competitive though so I'm pretty good at speed bumping out some players and getting a draw or loss afterwards to knock me out of contention (after I had already knocked someone else into the lower pairings, or out of contention altogether.)
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Been commented at least once (in a multiplayer) that I am the kind of player you should NEVER give enough time to get going, as I will almost always win if the game starts getting past turn 5-6. Uhm, I guess I'm almost that one guy in my circle that plays multicolours, with RtR being a massive departure from norm since my decks now feature only 2 colours, and I think last time I had a monocoloured deck was in Urza's saga! (tempest ended up wth multicolour slivers).
I'm infamous for describing terrible cards as "Not being a big fan" of them to avoid making someone feel bad for playing them. I'm also infamous for saying that do nothing cards "actually have no text".

Lastly I'm infamous for being the "rules guy".
I'm known for playing green. Mainly because I played UGr Thresh, Survival Elves, Berserk Stompy, Lands, and Maverick for years on end. Now is one of the rare times in the last six years in which I'm not playing green in Legacy.

maverick sux, play death & taxes
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
"Always" top decking the card I need. Been accused of this many times, even if I have been holding that card for a couple of turns already instead of wasting it as soon as I drew it. Even after having explained it, my claims go largely unbelieved, based on the occasions when I did top deck the card I needed. And statistically, it doesn't even happen more often then it should. But the times, when I don't have what I need when I need it, go entirely unnoticed.

Tinkering with my decks for a looooong time, sometimes only debating to change a single card or not. Some decks I have been tuning for years now. (I'm not that good of a deckbuilder, but I'm improving, I believe.)

Also, my decks are mostly recognizable by the first three cards I play, even if those are just lands. Sometimes, everyone knows the deck I'm playing by the first land I drop. New decks I make are viewed with suspicion and get played more cautiously against; in multiplayer I get hit preemptively if they get the chance, "just in case". Guess, that means, my deck ideas are quite original or at least unexpected, even if the decks themselves lack the power, especially the early versions. Once the deck's core strategy is revealed and they know what to expect, they just hit me for that reason in the following games. I have been joking a few times, that they would still consider me the more urgent threat, if I had nothing but a few lands in play and no cards in hand, then the guy with the Darksteel Colossus waiting to stomp over everybody.
I'm also infamous for saying that do nothing cards "actually have no text".

Pretty sure Null Rod wouldn't be a 20 dollar card if it had no text :P.

"Always" top decking the card I need.

Oh man, on the subject, I apparently have the superpower to topdeck Ajani Vengeant for the win.
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
In my playgroup I am infamous for several things:

1) Playing either powerful Spike/Dave griefer decks, or else pure jank, 
2) Making awful misplays all the time,
3) Proxying virtually everything

In tournaments, I am infamous with the judges (I know a lot of judges personally now), because I always get at least one call on me for the unusual interactions my decks play with, and I always play the silliest combo decks possible and/or make intentionally silly plays. At my last Standard event, I went to turns with a 5-color control deck against tokens, and the judge watching us busted out laughing when I Miracled Terminus on turn 3 while there were no creatures. At my first Legacy event, no less than 3 judges found me between rounds and asked how my deck worked.

I am also infamous for said misplays in tournament settings, and for downright horrible luck. I have a tendency to be seated against nothing but my best matchup all day long and go 2-7. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I am infamous for being the Sign in blood killer.

I'm also the exponential guy. Dont give me enough time or you'll regret it
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Not tapping out.
I only play EDH these days, I'm currently known by one play group as the guy with the old cards.

Back in my type 1 days I was very well known for abusing Ancestral Recall and Timetwister. Anyone playing any kind of aggro deck loathed being matched up against me because I would play Balance at least once with no creatures and sac my lands to the Zuran Orb. Moxes would always fuel their doom.  

<----- Loser.

I'm known by my group as being the Mad Scientist (weird combo-guy). I tend to make decks around weird cards and kill unexpectedly.  I also have kind of a spike streak so I'm also a "flashy tourney guy" to my friends as well. (I tend to wear shirts to tourneys that are metallic and shiny... lol)
I'm infamous for using cheesy, overpowered cards. It was just the other day that one of my regular opponents screamed "the only reason you ever win is because you use overpowered cards!" at me whilst I was using a deck featuring the Treacherous guy. Also, for partying like it's 1999.
In 1v1 and team games, land destruction and skirting around what a card is "meant" to do.

In EDH, I'm the dude that recurs everything. Except for Jaya Ballard (and even then), all my EDH decks are recursion-heavy.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Basically being the God of Magic, wielding the power of issuing verdicts on how the cards themselves actually work.

Or in other words, the local judge. Since there are no other judges in the area, I'm almost literally never off duty. Got even the slightest doubt during a tournament and I'm not there? Better call! Got a competitive event that needs judging less than 24 hours away? Better call!

L1 Judge

I'm also infamous for saying that do nothing cards "actually have no text".

Pretty sure Null Rod wouldn't be a 20 dollar card if it had no text :P.

"Always" top decking the card I need.

Oh man, on the subject, I apparently have the superpower to topdeck Ajani Vengeant for the win.

No, it doesn't "Do Nothing" it "Does Nothing"
Dropping things like Doom blade and victim of night.

Keeping playing when I know I am going to lose in an attempt to give my opp a run for their money. (sometimes I pull off a win)

One of my friends main decks counter hate cards and my control decks tend to get a lot of complaints. So probably that.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Playing stuff like Tyrant of Discord.
I wouldn't say I'm "infamous" for anything (at least no one has had the guts to tell me that I am) but I'm known for bringing in new players and teaching the game.

I've made some "infamous" decks amongst my play groups. One I remember was a sensei's divining top deck which functioned similar to the faith's reward deck except I didn't play second sunrise or faith's reward or reshape or any of that powerful stuff so my turns generally took a long time as I drew most of my deck but I "fizzled" a lot (grapeshot, ignite memories or empty the warrens was my finisher). I think I won more games with trinket mage than I ever did with grapeshot. The win percentage was low but everyone hated the deck because my turns were so long as I would do stupid things like brainstorm, chromatic star, ponder shuffle, look at the top 3, fetch land, look at the top 3, draw one, put top back on top of the library etc... only to fizzle and do the whole scenerio over again the next turn.

The other decklist which it turns out some people enjoyed but was very annoying was my grip of chaos decklist which featured prodigal pyromancer types of effects combined with lace with moonglove and thornbite staff. I only got a few games in with that monstrosity but I remember a board state where there were like 30+ creatures in play with grip of chaos and I randomly hit a player with my deathtouched prodigal pyromancer but another player used an instant to destroy another creature so I could continue to wipe the board clean. Eventually when there were less than 10 creatures the deadly pyromancer killed himself.

I think those are my two most "infamous" decklists.
Don't be too smart to have fun
nothing yet
I miss the old days.
nothing yet

You mean other than an avatar that looks like someone that was beat about the head as a child seeing a lightbulb for the first time?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Sign In to post comments