Shaman features/abilities confusion

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I chose these paths...

lvl 1 protector spirit feature. Spirit boon:
 Any ally adj. to your spirit companion regains additional hp equal to con mod when they use a second wind or when you use a healing power on him or her.

lvl 11 Scarred Healer path. Scar's gift: When you use a primal healing power on a target adj. to spirit comp the target regains add. hp equal to con mod.

And use this ability

Call forth the spirit world: 

healing, primal, zone  /   Close burst spirit 3

Burst becomes a zone until end of next turn or until SC is destroyed.  Zone moves with spirit, remaining centered on it.  Enemies take -2 to attack while in the zone.  Any blooded Ally that starts it's turn in the zone regains 5 hp.

Question 1: With the 2 features listed above, does this skill help allies regain 5hp +conx2 as long as they are next to the SC?  What confuses me is the target rules.  Are allies in a zone considered targets? 

Question 2: This also goes for almost all of the Shaman's abilities.  They must target an enemy to heal/protect an ally.  Do these path features/boons imply to those skills since the ally is not a target? 

Question 3: Untill SC is destroyed?  Is dismissed different than destroyed?  Some skills dismiss the SC... would this end the zone?

This seems like a really good path for a healer, unless these boons barely work since you only have a few target ally heals, in which case it seems like a major waste  
No, the allies are not targets in this case.  Targets are things in the Target: line of the power.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yeah.. I kinda figured.

What about if the target line says each ally and each is adj to my SC?  Do they all get the double con bonus from a primal healing power? 
Yes.  If you target an ally with a healing power whilst that ally is adjacent to your spirit companion, they will regain 2xCON extra hit points.

Worth noting, though, that the Shaman does not have an awful lot of healing that targets allies.  Even the secondary heal from Healing Spirit doesn't actually target your ally in the technical sense.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Yeah I noticed.  It's my g/f' pc and she is even more new to 4e and just haaaad to pick shaman.   The class is complicated enough.  I didn't want to go with a different path that complicated things any more than they needed to be.  I'll just write her bonus on the 2 applied skills (healing spirit and Heart spirit) on a piece of paper for her abilities and simplify it as much as possible lol. 

Edit:  Oh, what about the SC?  Dismissed = destroyed?  Or is enemy fire the only way to prematurely end this zone?
That's not entirely clear, but I'd personally rule that intentionally dismissing it (as opposed to an enemy popping it, or it ending a turn outside its conjuring range) would allow the zone to continue.
That's not entirely clear, but I'd personally rule that intentionally dismissing it (as opposed to an enemy popping it, or it ending a turn outside its conjuring range) would allow the zone to continue.

The zone requires the SC to exist as it's centered on the SC and moves with the SC.  For the purposes of Call Forth the Spirit World, once your SC is gone the zone is gone too.

While the Protector Spirit and Scarred Healer benefits don't apply to Call Forth the Spirit World, an item effect like Healer's Brooch would.
Show

Property

When you use a power that enables you or an ally to regain hit points, add the brooch’s enhancement bonus to the hit points gained.

One note about Call Forth the Spirit World - the original Dragon article lists shows it the power with the silver color of a daily power but the text says Encounter power.    The old character builder program handles it as an encounter power, but I believe both the new character build and the compedium show it as a daily power.  The Dragon/Dungeon magazines update document is silent on the matter and does not include an errata either way.
  My group, which uses the old CB, handles it as an encounter power, but I'm starting to think daily is more appropriate for its power level, and I'm the one playing the Shaman.