Affinity - siding out Cranial Plating?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
See subject: Is this a viable strategy for sideboarding?  With almost all of the hate i've seen in the two or three modern events I've played in my opponent's board hate for me has been artifact hate, of course...and 9 times out of 10 they hold back for the Plating when it comes down first and foremost.  I realize they can still have other targets for their hate, but if they don't realize Plating has come out, they might hold back too long and give me an advantage.  Has anyone experimented with this type of thing?

Here's my list, by the way:

oh, and how do we do card tags without having to manually type them in before and after each card..?
For a full list, do [deck] instead of [card] (or [c]).

I see your point, but couldn't you get the same effect by just holding Plating in your hand for a while?  No matter how much hate they put in for it, Plating is still the most "I win now" card in your deck.  It doesn't make much sense to remove your best win condition just because they might destroy it.  They won't always draw their hate, and if they don't have it yet or they tap out you want to have the ability to win before they get another chance.

For a full list, do [deck] instead of [card] (or [c]).

I see your point, but couldn't you get the same effect by just holding Plating in your hand for a while?  No matter how much hate they put in for it, Plating is still the most "I win now" card in your deck.  It doesn't make much sense to remove your best win condition just because they might destroy it.  They won't always draw their hate, and if they don't have it yet or they tap out you want to have the ability to win before they get another chance.

good point, thanks for the advice :-)
Late to the party, but absolutely not.

Affinity literally has 8-12 real cards in the deck:  Cranial Plating, Etched Champion, Arcbound Ravager (or Master if that's the version you want).  Every other card in the deck is just there to make those cards better.  Siding out the cards that actually matter makes very little sense, especially when there are so many "do nothing" cards in the list that can be subbed out instead.

It makes much more sense to keep the Plating in hand until the opponent is forced to tap out (they can't let you keep hitting them for 5+ with Signal Pests and dudes) and you can one shot them or until you can use it to force them into a very bad situation (such as they waste the mana to kill it only to not be able to cast something else).
I've been having more problems with shatterstorm and creeping corrosion being boarded in by my opponents than with spot removal.  So much that I have put three slag fiends in my board so I can take advantage of it.  However I think that this situation is my own damn fault by using my affinity deck for them to test against.

A good opponent will never waste their spot removal frivolously and will punish you whether you boarded out your platings or not.  I agree with MadAdmiral that it's much more important to have it as a weapon when your opponent taps out than to try and fool them into not using their removal.

I think that's just overcompensating for a known deck.  Affinity, while popular, isn't THE deck in Modern, and such narrow hate is completely unnecessary.  Now, I would walk into any Modern event at my local shop with minimum 2 artifact sweepers and 2 Ancient Grudges.  However, that's because there are at minimum 3 Affiinity players (I'm #4 occasionally) and one of them is the Modern authority at our shop who you will have to beat if you want to win the event.

I think the Hurkyl's Recall in the board of the Affinity deck that made Top 8 at PT RTR is sweet tech.  Chances are you can immediately redeploy everything and they just wasted their hate card.  I'd run that over Slag Fiends any day.
I think that's just overcompensating for a known deck.  Affinity, while popular, isn't THE deck in Modern, and such narrow hate is completely unnecessary.  Now, I would walk into any Modern event at my local shop with minimum 2 artifact sweepers and 2 Ancient Grudges.  However, that's because there are at minimum 3 Affiinity players (I'm #4 occasionally) and one of them is the Modern authority at our shop who you will have to beat if you want to win the event.

I think the Hurkyl's Recall in the board of the Affinity deck that made Top 8 at PT RTR is sweet tech.  Chances are you can immediately redeploy everything and they just wasted their hate card.  I'd run that over Slag Fiends any day.

Exactly, and hurkyl's recall sounds sweet.