Expedition Adventure

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can only hope this is the right place to put this.

So! I had an idea, a vague idea, but an idea none the less. Of the Player Characters forming an expiditon out into the wilds, or into the wilds to go to a certain ruin, rumored to have hordes of treasure.

Well, they can't carry a whole lot of treasure on their backs, so they'll have to buy carts/wagons and horses to carry their new loot, as well as people to drive the wagons, and then guards to guard the wagons when they're off exploring/gathering loot.

Now the real mechanic about this adventure idea is a hexagon food/exploration Idea I had.

There would be a map drawn up in hexagonal fashion, the PC's and their wagon party would get to move on hexagon a day, and every day every PC/NPC they hired would need to eat. (So they'll have to buy food for everyone.) Every Hex they move might have a random event (Anything from the Carvan getting attack to discoving more loot or a ruin!) 

So the PCs will have to figure out the least dangerous root and make sure they have enough food stores to get to the place they are going and back with their loot. (There might be some events that make them lose food/treasure. If they run out of food they start to starve.)

This a vague idea that I have, and I was wondering what you experinced DMs think about this bare bones concept?

You mean a small hex grid like this...with old style geographical symbols or just an overlay on a google map?
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html

You mean a small hex grid like this...with old style geographical symbols or just an overlay on a google map?

No one expects the Zombie Apocalypse!

*bites yellowdingo's face!* 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there

Now this is a Village. And that rectangular shape is ideal for a small Keep.

Damn Zombie...
*Dabs cloth on Bite* 
The Citadel Megadungeon: http://yellowdingosappendix.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-citadel-mega-dungeon-now-with-room.html
Oregon Trail. That's what I think.

The wizard dies of dysentery.

Seriously, for a low-level adventure, you could easily add some elements of oregon trail to this mix.

There's an iphone app for the classic game that could add some good ideas, such as a flood requiring a side quest to go around.

Competition from not-neccessarily-evil NPC group willing to trade out supplies and such or compare maps and notes as the really big treasure may require team-work... to give some role-play opportunities. The NPC guards and team masters and porters could provide opportunity to replace any characters who meet untimely ends in the dank dark doom cursed ruins of wherever they are. A nearby village mayor may have reason to NOT want the party to explore this place, especially if he thinks there's treasure there that he should own. Or he may prove helpful by allowing them into the ruined tower of the grand poo-bah at the edge of town that may provide clues as to how to get into the secret ruins or the exact location or to bypass some of the magical traps and such.

Once they get in there, getting back might prove interesting. A really big treasure might require a wagon.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Oregon Trail. That's what I think.

The wizard dies of dysentery.

Seriously, for a low-level adventure, you could easily add some elements of oregon trail to this mix.

There's an iphone app for the classic game that could add some good ideas, such as a flood requiring a side quest to go around.

Competition from not-neccessarily-evil NPC group willing to trade out supplies and such or compare maps and notes as the really big treasure may require team-work... to give some role-play opportunities. The NPC guards and team masters and porters could provide opportunity to replace any characters who meet untimely ends in the dank dark doom cursed ruins of wherever they are. A nearby village mayor may have reason to NOT want the party to explore this place, especially if he thinks there's treasure there that he should own. Or he may prove helpful by allowing them into the ruined tower of the grand poo-bah at the edge of town that may provide clues as to how to get into the secret ruins or the exact location or to bypass some of the magical traps and such.

Once they get in there, getting back might prove interesting. A really big treasure might require a wagon.

Wizard already gotten eaten by a dragon so... xD

A wagon or two, yes. You undertsand what I was getting at.

Sign In to post comments